Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, getting used as bait to drown or be eaten by a shark is distinctly different than being lethally injected or gassed as is the case with many unwanted strays.  It is beyond cruel and I would expect unbelievably frightening and painful for the animal involved.  I agree that it's sad that we have to put so many animals down, but there is really not a viable alternative.  

I'm generally indifferent to what happens to them after they are dead.  Dead is dead, and I would guess that many of the strays that are put down are sold for some use or another in biology classes, veterinary colleges, and other scientific purposes that may benefit our animals friends down the road.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not a fraud or hoax, AFAIK:  here's the video. It's in French, anybody care to translate?

Video of these pics

That video could be saying that the dog got hooked in a tragic boating accident while attempting save his master's firearms collection. Still a very fishy story.

I can't understand the spoken French in the video, but I can read the website text. It repeats the story told here. Live dogs being used as shark bait.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes, getting used as bait to drown or be eaten by a shark is distinctly different than being lethally injected or gassed as is the case with many unwanted strays.  It is beyond cruel and I would expect unbelievably frightening and painful for the animal involved.  I agree that it's sad that we have to put so many animals down, but there is really not a viable alternative.  

I'm generally indifferent to what happens to them after they are dead.  Dead is dead, and I would guess that many of the strays that are put down are sold for some use or another in biology classes, veterinary colleges, and other scientific purposes that may benefit our animals friends down the road.

Sad to say many animals are ground up and used for dog and cat food.  When the can says "meat product" it may be dog or cat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad to say many animals are ground up and used for dog and cat food.  When the can says "meat product" it may be dog or cat.

Really?  Didn't know that.  One more reason not to let your kids eat the dog biscuits!  Honestly though, I don't see that as sad.  They're dead and being used to sustain others animals.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:39:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Those are waaay too tiny hooks for a shark!

I guess you could jig a dog that way & the hooks are just for fastenting/steering. Frankly, if I had to jig a dog for shark, I'd use two large hooks thru the rear legs in the area between their main rear leg bone & the small leg bone where you have that pocket. Just toss the dog overboard and let them paddle. The shark would attack from the rear.

Not that I would ever do that to an animal but just putting some logic forth for the story.

Hooking them thru the snout like that is not a viable way to rig a dog. I have to doubt the story. Now if they said a bunch of drunk guys did that after the dog shit in their boat, I can believe it. There are some cruel assholes in this world.

FWIW, you clip off the barbed ends and roll the hook right out, the dog will be o.k.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Whats with all the apologists? A few months back, you all were chearing for the killing of dogs in Iraq.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:05:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a hoax at all unfortunately, this has been known about  for months at the least.
I'd be in jail for however long they sentenced me if I were to happen upon something like that in progress or afterwards.

....the french.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I certainly wasn't cheering clearing iraq of dogs, its war and unfortunate but what can you do, but I certainly wasn't cheering anything about myself.

"I think it would be a terrible way to go getting trolled behind a boat to either drown or get eaten by a shark, but is it really any worse than getting gasses or leathaly injected?"

yes
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:17:09 AM EDT
[#9]
The motherfuckers who did this deserve to be shot in the face.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:20:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Look at the source

+1 I call BS on this one. Tabloid trash.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#11]
It happens.

Minnows don't scream so much, when you use THEM as bait.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I do not like the idea of using live dogs as shark bait but you know millions of dogs and cats are killed every year in this Country at dog pounds and animal shelters.  I think it would be a terrible way to go getting trolled behind a boat to either drown or get eaten by a shark, but is it really any worse than getting gasses or leathaly injected?
How would you all feal about using them as shark bait after they were dead?
Who believes God put all the animals on the earth, in the air and in the water for us to eat?
How many here eat dog or cat?
Isn't using a dog for bait just another use of an animal that was put her for us to have dominion over?
I would not do it and again don't like the idea, but they are animals and I am sure the French have millions of "extra" ones just like we do in the U.S.

Are you as outraged at the millions that are killed more "humanely" here in the U.S.?
The County I live in kills an average of 80 dogs and cats 7 days a week 365 days a year.                (Over 30,000 a year) We have a large County land wise but not really thay many people.
I think the number of animals killed in shelters is a National disgrace!

I love dogs and although I am not really a cat person I don't dislike them I just prefer dogs.

I would much rather be gassed than chewed apart by a shark!  I just spoke to a guy who was originally from Florida and he said that many people use cats (both live and dead) for shark bait in Florida.  Very sad indeed
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:38:35 AM EDT
[#13]
If this is true then death could not come fast enough for the motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:51:22 AM EDT
[#14]
What about "Bat Boy" and "300 lb Baby"?  Those stories are just as real!!

Btw, Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the origional story if it were true?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm gonna call BS on this. Anyone who fishes, particularly deep sea fishing knows that even were you going to use dogs as bait you'd better hook him better than that just as you would anyother bait. As soon as you tried to troll him or when he took the first hit the hook would rip right out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:55:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Why are they using barbless hooks? To be kind to the sharks?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Look at the source

+1
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look at the source

+1

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#19]
So, after looking at the opening pic, I immediately closed the thread...and came back only to ask this:

Is this true or not?

Dear God in Heaven I hope that it's fake!

"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." ~ Mark Twain

Eric The(DogLoving)Hun
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Jesus. That makes me sick.

And pissed.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#21]
So, is it good bait?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Are you sure those aren't crazy punk rock dogs? I hear they run around with large safety pins in their jowls too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#24]
If its a fake -its a completely UN-FUCKING-FUNNY fake.

If its real - thats one of the more fucked up things I have seen EVER.

either way -
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#25]
This is worse then tabloid trash.... the video is off of a French version of PETA's website.  We now know how PETA makes videos up to "disturb people" in to thinking about animal rights....

ETA:  translated website: here

I DON'T trust this video and story AT ALL.  I do believe someone hooked a dog, which is wrong and the person or persons should be punished.

First of all...this "The pup was found in a coastal creek and is thought to have somehow freed itself from a fishing line."

Now, how is a dog going to free itself from a steel lead and 150# or more test line?

Second, most of the guys that are on here talking about hook placement are correct.... Sharks approach from the bottom rear, as witnessed by the human shark attacks world wide.  Usually the swimemr or surfer it hit in the legs.  If the dog hd the hooks in the snout, and a shark BIG ENOUGH TO USE A 50 POUND dog as BAIT hits the dog, hit is going to go for the hindquarters and rip the dog off those hooks.

It is concievable that people are using animals as bait, but the likelyhood that this particular info is 100 percent true is very low.

Third.... who is going to try and hook a dog in its mouth and do it while the dog is live, untied and scared?  No fisherman would sedate his bait, that would make this whole thing pointless....

I think it is a hoax perpetrated by the anti-human rights crowd....  (let's not fool ourselves any more by thinking these people are about ANIMAL rights.)
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Might be a Muslim culture thing........as isn't France 1/2 muslim anyhow, and they generally have a hatred for dogs?

Jesus fucking Christ.
These poor dogs, and all you can think of is your hatred for muslims.
Go hang with Kanye West - you guys would be good together.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Yet ANOTHER reason to hate the French.

I'm thinking "French clubbing" will be a winter hit....
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I guess many of you will be shocked to find out that is done in this country too.  Freshwater fishermen use live bait too--worms, crawfish, leeches, cute little minnows, and--HORRORS--frogs.  

Oh yeah man,worms and minnows and dogs are exactly the same thing same thing .
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess many of you will be shocked to find out that is done in this country too.  Freshwater fishermen use live bait too--worms, crawfish, leeches, cute little minnows, and--HORRORS--frogs.  

As far as I'm concerned, they are. Why does fido get a free pass? I burned and ate the flesh of a cute cow last night.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I appreciate you posting this, Mac - but it ruined my mood for a bit.

That is just so damn wrong.  Gotta be illegal some way.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Worms, crawfish, leeches, minnows and frogs are NOT dogs. There's a big difference..
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be a hater.  Frogs have feelings too.  

I can tell this is going to be a fun thread.  

You're being goofy again!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as I'm concerned, they are. Why does fido get a free pass? I burned and ate the flesh of a cute cow last night.

You're kidding, right???
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding, right???

No, I'm not.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#39]
A little edumacation is in order. The French own lots o islands just like the English and the Dutch. The people that live on the islands are "aborigine" meaning they are NOT French but probably South asian (indian) Or Dravidian. Also this is really a western "cultural" thing. We find it offensive that they use "companion" animals for bait. But we do shit that is just as fucked up to monkeys and chickens Etc etc in animal research and the like. I think what they are doing is wrong but i did'nt create the world the way it is. You don't like it? Don't Complain to me complain to the manufactuerer of planet earth.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#40]
I dont know what is more disturbing ,some of the topics here (ie. ones like this ),or some of the mindsets some of the folks here seem to have.

Worms ,minnows ,frogs, dogs...whats next infants?
Invertebrate insect,fish,amphibian,mammal,human -its the same ,right ?

Im sure some of our precious nose-miners floundering in the water with a hook in their mouth would make awesome sharkbait. Hey, what the hell right? its only a dumb animal ,and we as the dominate species can do as we wish with them,right?

How highly evolved we all are .
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#41]
most of you guys are the biggest hypocrites ive ever seen when it comes to shit like this......yes, this makes me ill if its true....but my point here i'm gonna make is....if they were cats or kittens, most of you wouldnt be nearly this wound up.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm in the camp on this one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You guys are so gullible.

The person attending to this animal is wearing scrubs..Haha

Uh, if you found a dog with a giant hook in its snout, perhaps you'd have the clarity of thought to take it to a Vet, who just might take a pic of said hook.  Is it really that unreasonable?  

It looks to me like 'Fido' might have been on a boat or at the marina and found someones rod. Curiosity might have gotten the best of him and the hook ended up in his mouth.

I have seen this sort of thing happen more than once and none of them were because they were being used for bait.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be a hater.  Frogs have feelings too.  

I can tell this is going to be a fun thread.  

Your a real class act.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Thr end is still the same, - 1 stray dog(would have been gased either way) - 1 shark (caught and shot). So what.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
most of you guys are the biggest hypocrites ive ever seen when it comes to shit like this......yes, this makes me ill if its true....but my point here i'm gonna make is....if they were cats or kittens, most of you wouldnt be nearly this wound up.  

Cats are not good bait.  They drown too quickly.

TRG

PS. You ever heard of the 'cat paddle' ?  Didn't think so....  

Yup--not to mention they fight like a mofo when you try to hook them.  

The only problem I have is casting them out far enough.  If you let them touch the ground they will hang on to damn near anything!

I use an overhand toss and try to keep from passing directly overhead.  God help you if they get close enough to grab your scalp.

TR

LOL!!!    now i'd pay money to see that.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top