Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This thread was referenced in an email to me.  I've just spent three hours reading every post.

Some of you may know who I am and the development work I've done on the X-frames...

First of all, I would have been amazed ten years ago that a shooter wouldn't know that the B/C gap of a revolver was a bad place to put body parts near, but no longer.  After running several dozen people a week (for four years) though the practical section of my CCW course, I see people change their grips and hold guns in all sorts of weird ways, trying to get an improvement.  "Cup and saucer" with the left hand under the frame and left thumb pointing up and forward near the gap is fairly common. At least one shooter a week does this at some point.

I start people off with K22s so the worst that might happen is mild discomfort.  I use soda cans and a .357 for those who don't quite get it yet.  Now I'll bring pics of your thumb and ask if anyone wants to shoot my .500 with an improper grip.

OP, I live in St. Louis so I can inspect your gun if you want.  I'll bring Hornady factory .460 ammo and will shoot it immediately if the cylinder is intact.

Your injury doesn't look quite as bad as I'd originally feared.  I met a man who cut his fingertip off with a Freedom Arms .454 by holding it next to the gap.  Just like a laser.

One of the best docs anywhere for reattachment of digits is in St. Louis, Dr. Richard Coin.  Ask your guy about him.  I realize you don't need reattachment, but he may have some wisdom.

Good luck on your recovery.  And let me know if you want to step up to one of my .500s...

JR

www.john-ross.net

I am a huge fan sir. UC is hands down THE best book I've ever read.

I refrenced your loading of 700+ grain bullets earlier in this thread. I NEED this data. Do you sell your castings? If so, how does one purchase them. Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This thread makes me want to go back and re-read all the red print in manuals for my various firearms.

I just wish they were a little more reader-friendly.  It's hard to slog through paragraphs of all-caps, red-on-white text.  My eyes sort of glaze over after the 17th page of "ENSURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED BEFORE...etc."  The sheer amount of "WARNING" this and that text in most firearm manuals is greater than the text actually telling you how to operate the weapon!

This thread is an example of how those pages came about.

EXACTLY all those silly warnings that we have everywhere on every product is due to someone doing something goofy.

I was looking at revolvers a couple weeks ago up at Impact Guns. It bothered me that now it seems they have nearly the entire manual scraped in to the damn barrel and slides. Looks like hell.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Why no pics of the gun yet????? That would certainly answer a lot of questions about this incident.....

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I refrenced your loading of 700+ grain bullets earlier in this thread. I NEED this data. Do you sell your castings? If so, how does one purchase them. Thanks for any info.

That just sounds so wrong.

I guess it was because I saw a show on worm castings the other night.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I sent the link to this thread, and the pics to someone that I know for a fact has been shooting revolvers competitively for longer than I've been walking upright. Here is the response:

I am scratching my head on this one.  I am not sure the blast out the side of the cylinder would do this.  Maybe it would.  

I shot my 44 mag for years from the Creedmoor position with a piece of leather protecting my leg from the cylinder blast, I even shot it once without the leather protection (the gun is held against my leg) and it wasn’t too bad.  I had some powder residue in my leg but no blood.

Maybe he has really soft skin!

(regarding the Creedmoor position and leather protection - I've seen the leather from this persons opinion, and while the blast would be annoying at least, I don't see it doing digital amputation)

Given the opinion of someone I know quite well, and I know knows revolvers inside and out, I'm holding out for pics of the gun.

Perhaps .460 cylinder gap pressures are enough above a .44 that it could make the difference.

Perhaps something else happened.

The simple fact that "don't ever get something near the cylinder gap" is something I've never heard of before makes me question the pistols ability to do that sort of damage.

The comment above in red is ridiculous and shows a complete lack of knowledge on this topic. This issue is VERY well known amongst revolver owners at least those paying attention. It is well known by instructors, range safety officers and gun manufacturers.

ROFL well that settles it someone shooting a different caliber from an entirely different position doesn't think it would happen. That trumps my nearly 3 decades of safe revolver shooting. I am going to call SW and tell them they can take out the warning that specifically discusses this issue. I guess gun manufacturers and instructors at places like Police Academies and private ranges have all been just playing a trick on trainees when they warn them.

You know I have noticed this thread has progressed rather nicely except when someone comes onboard and starts throwing around armchair commando or saying EVERYBODY is being ugly. And usually it is people that aren't exactly getting what this thread is about.

I guess intelligent people that have managed to shoot revolvers safely for decades giving an opinion on what is a VERY obvious cause and effect are just armchair commandos being assholes.

Sorry your creedmoor shooting buddy needs a bit more involvement with revolvers, if he thinks that shooting position, with pants on and a 44 mag provides anything remotely similar to someone putting their finger tightly up against the cylinder gap. I guess this proves someone can do something for a very long time and still not know a damn thing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not THAT kind of fan.

Bullet castings.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not THAT kind of fan.

Bullet castings.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEnRK8rofLg

The plaster's getting harder; And my love is perfection...  a token of my love for her collection!"

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Test Revolver - Ruger Redhawk, .44 Remington Magnum, 7.5" Barrel

i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Boomer8450/P1230057a.jpg

A comfortable hold, even if it's not high speed/low drag enough for all of the armchair commandos

i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Boomer8450/P1230062a.jpg

The hold that would have been needed to produce the injury (assuming that a .460 can)

i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Boomer8450/P1230061a.jpg

With how awkward the third pic felt to me, I'm going to reserve any opinion until the OP posts the status of the firearm.

I think I'll experiment with objects close to the cylinder gap this weekend. My gut feeling is that it's ability to cause the injuries shown is vastly overstated.

Please stop you continually just show how uniformed you are while you continue to try and degrade others. Aside from those soft hands in those photos the other thing I noticed is that no the position you are showing is not even remotely correct your thumb is at least an inch or two in front of the cylinder gap where the gas escapes.

The thing that is pissing me off is you are calling others names, folks that do know what they are talking about while you are adding information and pictures that are completely irrelevant.

Go put some more lotion on those mitts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:

The slow motion video I posted of the cylinder gap flash was an edited
version of the video you had on your website a few years ago.
(I swiped it from your site back then, and kept it in my archives)

Can you shed some light on it's origins?
Did S&W make the original, or were you involved with it?

(third post in more than 4 years...  you must have gotten bored with this place fast.)

That high speed video is Brett Curry shooting the .500 one-handed and ALMOST doubling it.  It was made at the factory when they started getting reports of this phenomenon with the .500.  They then gave it to me. Brett is the main designer of the X-frame.

I need to put it up again on my redesigned website.  My webmaster left some things off.

I don't post to EVERY gun board--don't have time.  I joined here 4 years ago when someone emailed me a link to a specific discussion, like they did this morning.

It's 20+ pages, but you might enjoy this: http://john-ross.net/pdfs/maghist.pdf

I think I'll revise it to emphasize the dangers of the B/C gap.

JR

www.john-ross.net
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Some of you may know who I am...

www.john-ross.net

My vote for understatement of the year...

For the OP, yeouch. Be sure to keep a clean dressing on that.

When my father was training us kids in, many moons ago, he started us all on his service revolver. Notably, a S&W 19-5. Warned us about exactly this happening and how important proper grip was. I distinctly remember watching him cap off rounds at twilight and the flash coming from the cylinder gap was impressive enough for me to still have a clear memory of it 30 years later.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
I referenced your loading of 700+ grain bullets earlier in this thread. I NEED this data.how

You can get a mold from mountainmolds.com or buy 700 grain bullets from Ranger Rick.  Don't have his contact info but he's on the S&W forum.

Data is at http://john-ross.net/loading.htm

JR  

www.john-ross.net
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

JR

www.john-ross.net

Very intersting reading, I recommend it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Page 13. http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/manual_revolver.pdf

3. WARNING: Never fire any revolver with your finger, hand, face, or other
part of your body over or adjacent to the cylinder gap between the cylinder
face and the forcing cone. The release of excess gases and hot particles
from that point are part of the normal operation of revolvers, and pose no
safety hazard to the shooter if the firearm is held in a normal grip and fired at
arm’s length (in the case of a handgun) as intended by its design.

Page 18. http://www.usfirearms.com/pdf/USFA_SA_manual.pdf

When shooting, hold the firearm by the grip and ALWAYS
keep both hands away from the cylinder. Hot gas and
particles of lead and powder are sprayed out and around the
cylinder that will burn your hands.

Page 9 http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/s&w_revolver.pdf

Keep fingers and other parts of your body away from the
muzzle and away from the gap between the revolver barrel
and cylinder, and away from the pistol slide and ejection
port.

Just for those of you who have never cracked a manual on one of your firearms.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Update on the Gun

The gun looks fine, and recreating the grip I used I can totally see how I got my thumb in the wrong spot.  But the guys who cleaned up after the accident lost the friggin spent cartridges!  

Oh well, I'm 98% decided that it was my fault \  I know a cartridge failure is unlikely, I would like to know for sure though.

I still think this amount of damage is ridiculous, but still to be expected when firing a hand-held howitzer.

Live and learn I guess.

I'll write S&W and see if they'll help with the medical bills, but any legal action would be completely hypocritical of me.  They can use me as a poster-boy for what can happen if you don't always keep both hands on the grip.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I referenced your loading of 700+ grain bullets earlier in this thread. I NEED this data. Do you sell your castings? If so, how does one purchase them. Thanks for any info.

You can get a mold from mountainmolds.com or buy 700 grain bullets from Ranger Rick.  Don't have his contact info but he's on the S&W forum.

JR  

www.john-ross.net

I've got a 50 mold from mountainmolds.com that I believe throws a
500 and 700 grain bullet.  (and a multi cavity .44 mold)

Unfortunately, I was in the process of packing to move when I ordered it,
and two years later I still haven't gotten my reloading gear set up.

So I have these two beautiful molds, and have never used them.
At least I was smart enough to put them in tupperware full of oil.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Live and learn I guess.

Our work here is done.  Heal quick.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
They can use me as a poster-boy for what can happen if you don't always keep both hands on the grip.

I've printed out the one image that clearly shows your thumb.

Sealed it in plastic laminate, and tucked it in my gun case to remind me
every time I shoot to be careful.  Complacency kills.  A reminder won't hurt.

(and especially to show others what can happen if they do it wrong)

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They can use me as a poster-boy for what can happen if you don't always keep both hands on the grip.

I've printed out the one image that clearly shows your thumb.

Sealed it in plastic laminate, and tucked it in my gun case to remind me
every time I shoot to be careful.  Complacency kills.  A reminder won't hurt.

(and especially to show others what can happen if they do it wrong)

I'd rather have learned the lesson a little less hard ... but then again, it could have been worse!  

The shooting day was 4 guys, all with new toys to show off.  We were all getting a touch careless I think.  We're all good disciplined shooters, but it doesn't take much of a slip to get bit ... HARD!
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That makes sense.  Thanks for the update.  

I wouldn't get my hopes up on S&W--what would you do under the same circumstances?  

Good luck with the healing!  

Who knows, it's not like I'd hold hard feelings toward S&W if they tell me to get lost.  But if they can use what happened to me as a way to potentially avoid someone else getting hurt then at least this accomplished something good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Update on the Gun

The gun looks fine, and recreating the grip I used I can totally see how I got my thumb in the wrong spot.  But the guys who cleaned up after the accident lost the friggin spent cartridges!  

Oh well, I'm 98% decided that it was my fault \  I know a cartridge failure is unlikely, I would like to know for sure though.

I still think this amount of damage is ridiculous, but still to be expected when firing a hand-held howitzer.

Live and learn I guess.

I'll write S&W and see if they'll help with the medical bills, but any legal action would be completely hypocritical of me.  They can use me as a poster-boy for what can happen if you don't always keep both hands on the grip.

Thanks for the update.  I am truly sorry for your injury (loss?), and I'm also really glad you posted all of this.  This is one of those times when I'm REALLY glad that I can learn from someone else's mistakes.

I don't have huge hands, and with the wheel guns I've shot, I've always kept my fingers clear of that area anyway..... but more from fear of getting a finger bit/whatever.  I had no idea that the gases could do that much damage.

I've learned a lot from this thread.  Sorry it's at your expense....
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I referenced your loading of 700+ grain bullets earlier in this thread. I NEED this data. Do you sell your castings? If so, how does one purchase them. Thanks for any info.

JR  

www.john-ross.net

Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Update on the Gun

Live and learn I guess.

Wanna sell it? I'm interested.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Update on the Gun

Live and learn I guess.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Update on the Gun

Live and learn I guess.

S.O.

Start the auction at $200?

I'll go $205.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

S.O.

Ha, yea ... I want to keep it, I love the gun.  But my wife would flip if I don't sell it.  My marriage is more important!

I was planning on just listing it in the local newspaper though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

Ha, yea ... I want to keep it, I love the gun.  But my wife would flip if I don't sell it.  My marriage is more important!

IM me a price.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

IM me a price.

e-mail me a price. There will be a discount right? It will have to be sanitized for my protection.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Wow!  Outstanding paper!
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#30]
OP I was totally proud of you until I saw the part about the medical expenses. I gotta tell you no corporate lawyer will allow that as it might be construed as an admission of guilt. You can give it a shot though I guess. What do I know, right?

The revolver performed as is expected and the result is as expected. I am really glad you are taking responsibility that speaks VERY well of you. It shows you are a man of integrity. Nicely done.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow!  Outstanding paper!

Very outstanding.

His old website was littered with gold nuggets like this.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

IM me a price.

e-mail me a price. There will be a discount right? It will have to be sanitized for my protection.

S.O.

Watch it, guys....  You're going to get this thread locked, or moved to EE.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
OP I was totally proud of you until I saw the part about the medical expenses. I gotta tell you no corporate lawyer will allow that as it might be construed as an admission of guilt. You can give it a shot though I guess. What do I know, right?

The revolver performed as is expected and the result is as expected. I am really glad you are taking responsibility that speaks VERY well of you. It shows you are a man of integrity. Nicely done.

The absolute worst S&W can do is say no.

And if they do, he isn't out anything for trying.

Maybe they'll send him a Tee-Shirt.

I just hope if they respond in ANY way, he updates everyone in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

Turbo:  Please don't sell it.  You will regret it if you do.

You will have that scar for life.  As painful as it is, there is a certain "cool factor" to it.
Especially a few years from now when you can laugh about it.

Even if you purchased another 460 later, it won't be the one that bit you.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Live and learn I guess.

Good attitude.  I know it doesn't feel like it now, but compared to some I've seen you got off cheap.  One time when I was in the emergency ward for a back injury there was a young kid, around 16, in the stall next to me, he'd cut 4 fingers off one hand with a circular saw.  While I was waiting for an MRI I was listening to the talk about the chances of reattaching them.  The kid was awake and lucid, blaming it on his own fool self.  I would have liked to shake his hand, but I couldn't stand up and walk over there, and he couldn't shake.

Good luck.  With proper care and hard work on your part you should heal up well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I would take a different tack.  I would contact S&W and say

"I ignored a basic safety rule in your manual and got hurt.  Most people know not to get their fingers near the cylinder gap, but if they do it with a .38 or even a .357, they might need a Band-Aid.  I did it with a .460 and lost the end of my thumb.

"Would you like to use photos of my injury to make it clear how serious this is on high-pressure magnum revolvers?"

If you can wait a couple weeks I'll be seeing all the S&W brass in person and can find the right person for you to contact, and maybe grease the skids, so to speak.

They might be willing to pay you for helping them make their warnings more likely to be heeded.  

That's how I'd work it...

Call me, I'm local.  308-8261

JR

www.john-ross.net
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

"I ignored a basic safety rule in your manual and got hurt.  Most people know not to get their fingers near the cylinder gap, but if they do it with a .38 or even a .357, they might need a Band-Aid.  I did it with a .460 and lost the end of my thumb.

"Would you like to use photos of my injury to make it clear how serious this is on high-pressure magnum revolvers?"

If you can wait a couple weeks I'll be seeing all the S&W brass in person and can find the right person for you to contact, and maybe grease the skids, so to speak.

They might be willing to pay you for helping them make their warnings more likely to be heeded.  

JR

www.john-ross.net

This is a super idea.   Pure class, all the way.   And you'll save some others from this issue.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Update on the Gun

I think you're right.  Your buddies would have noticed a blown out cartridge given the circumstances,

Quoted:

Live and learn I guess.

Awesome way to look at it. I know I learned from your experience.

Quoted:

Wouldn't it be something to see your blown up thumb right after the don't-hold-the-gun-like-this picture.  

Thanks for sharing your story and taking all the abuse.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Dude, thumbs up!

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JR

www.john-ross.net

This is a super idea.   Pure class, all the way.   And you'll save some others from this issue.  

+1  Outstanding way to get some benefit from this experience.  Great way to show others how important it is to follow stated safety precautions.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
This is not a tag.

You HAVE to respect the big boy revolvers.

Wondering if it was either a case base blowout or unlocked cylinder tho it shouldn't rotate if it was.

I'm sorry about this dude's thumb, but I gotta agree with the statement about big boy revolvers.  They are a fucking handful.  And shit will go straight downhill with them if there's a case / revolver failure.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

JR

www.john-ross.net

That's essentially what I said to them  in my email earlier today.  I know, we all know that you're supposed to keep fingers away from there - but the general reply from this thread proves that most don't realize just how severe it can be if you make the mistake.

I'd be fine if they just sent me a t-shirt  This is a valuable lesson though, what's a few bucks spent by them if it save some people.  I'd love knowing that something good came out of my experience.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Think of the bright side...that's why you get two of them.

Get well soon.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Hey,

Well, I learned something.

I honestly had no idea about how gnarly the forcing cone blast was.

I mean, I knew it spit lead out and all but not hot jets of plasma.  

Kudos for posting this.

Prayers sent for a speedy and pain free recovery.  

BTW, this was your left thumb, right?  At least it wasn't your right...you can still hit the E-brake button for mad dorifto action!!!

Keewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Heal quick and don't let Boius give you any self righteous bullshit.

Kevin "Heh."
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Update on the Gun

Live and learn I guess.

Thank you for reconsidering a suit.

I really hope you recover quickly and we also hope that this incident will totally reinforce the importance of respect for the truely awesome power that these guns generate.

I tend to get a little grumpy when folks talk about lawsuits and American gun companies.

You will definitely live and I bet that you learned a hell of alot!
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#46]
TurboFC3S,

Hope you are doing well and the pain isn't too bad.  I simply can't believe the attitude of people on this forum.  I try to post messages in the same way I would talk to you in person.  I guess some people are flat out rude as hell, or just plain dumb.

Regardless if it was a gun failure, ammo failure, or your own carelessness I still feel bad about what you have went thru.  

You obviously learned a lesson and so have I about firing revolvers.  I'm mostly an auto man myself, but I do shoot some .357 and .38's occasionally.

Good luck with your recovery.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

JR

www.john-ross.net
This is the perfect way to handle it. IMHO, it would be hypocritical to ask for anything from them. However, in this suggestion, you're asking to help educate people through your mistake. $.02

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

JR

www.john-ross.net

Sounds like a great piece of advice to me!
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and thanks for sharing your bad experience here.

You've probably saved at least one of us from suffering the same type of injury or worse.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and thanks for sharing your bad experience here.

You've probably saved at least one of us from suffering the same type of injury or worse.

Haha, well I'd still rather have my thumb back!
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top