Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 30
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So is everyone responding back to all the replys we got from our e-mails?
I have been sending thank yous back to all the companys that have said they will be severing ties with Zumbo.

Yes, and I also sent a reply to gerber basically saying,

Yes, you can support Zumbo's 1st amendment rights, but don't expect me to support Gerber anymore...

ETA: UR 55 BELONGZ TO ME!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
8pm Eastern The outdoor channel Dumbo is off the air. Replaced w/ another show

edit the outdoor channel
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have been sending thank yous back to all the companys that have said they will be severing ties with Zumbo.

yes. thanked Remmington and Hi Mountain so far...no thanks to Gerber  

THANK the outdoor ch also!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Here it is, form Pelosi and company the newest model of Liberal Safe Assault Rifle:

http://members.cox.net/substandard/zumbogun.jpg
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been lurking as usual these last couple of days and I must say,
this was quite an impressive display of action on all parties parts.

Maybe this is a wake up call to all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have sent a thanks for your support to every one that has emailed me a reply back about the Zumbo effect.  Some, I politely told, that I woudn't be buying their products anymore, kind of like Gerber/Fiskars.  Les
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Memo to all prominent Fudds.....you can think it, but DON'T say it!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Cam on nra news is going to give take right now...
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
www.nranews.com/nranews.aspx

next taking about Zumbo
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#10]
There's no doubt that Zumbo was a 'tard, but many of the members of this board and the AR-15 community are short-sighted and only marginally less retarded than Mr. Zumbo.  The guy was an ass, but he apologized.  If we (and I mean the royal arfcom "we") had accepted his apology, he probably would have done a pro-AR-15 segment on his show and written a pro-AR-15 article or two.  Maybe he would have convinced a few fudds to give it a try.  Instead, through our shrill vitriol, we have alienated Mr. Zumbo instead of using his penitence as an opportunity to make an ally.  I predict that Mr. Zumbo will be allied with the Brady Bunch in a very short time.  Heck, why shouldn't he?  He can't make any money anywhere else; we've made sure of that.  We also did not do a very good job representing ourselves on his blog.  I saw posts where it was suggested that Mr. Zumbo kill himself.  Contrary to the general consensus, I do not view this as arfcom's finest hour.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

next taking about Zumbo

Yep Darin is ripping on him, as did Cam.

HAAAAA, he just called him "Jim DUMBO!"

He just brought up the asshatery of Smith and Wesson.

ETA: Darin is saying all the right things!

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

next taking about Zumbo

Darren was making the same stupid mistakes as many...........he was calling the semiauto "assault rifles".  I wish everyone would get this straight.  He said real assault weapons fire full auto.  He kept intermixing the two terms.

He kind of hinted at the timing of Zumbo's remarks and HR1022.  Makes you wonder if Zumbo perhaps is in bed with someone.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There's no doubt that Zumbo was a 'tard, but many of the members of this board and the AR-15 community are short-sighted and only marginally less retarded than Mr. Zumbo.  The guy was an ass, but he apologized.  If we (and I mean the royal arfcom "we") had accepted his apology, he probably would have done a pro-AR-15 segment on his show and written a pro-AR-15 article or two.  Maybe he would have convinced a few fudds to give it a try.  Instead, through our shrill vitriol, we have alienated Mr. Zumbo instead of using his penitence as an opportunity to make an ally.  I predict that Mr. Zumbo will be allied with the Brady Bunch in a very short time.  Heck, why shouldn't he?  He can't make any money anywhere else; we've made sure of that.  We also did not do a very good job representing ourselves on his blog.  I saw posts where it was suggested that Mr. Zumbo kill himself.  Contrary to the general consensus, I do not view this as arfcom's finest hour.  

He DID NOT APOLOGIZE.  HE said he was tired, he said he was an NRA member, he said he had a flag out front.  He did not retract the terrorist statement, he did not retract the statement calling for hunters to divorce themselves from us.  There was nothing for us to accept.

HAHAHA LarryG, I like your comments on NRA News..

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He DID NOT APOLOGIZE.  HE said he was tired, he said he was an NRA member, he said he had a flag out front.  He did not retract the terrorist statement, he did not retract the statement calling for hunters to divorce themselves from us.  There was nothing for us to accept.

HAHAHA LarryG, I like your comments on NRA News..

Yep, that's me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Ditto on the "he did not apologize" thoughts.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.  From his apology:  

I was wrong, BIG TIME
Someone once said that to err is human. I just erred, and made without question, the biggest blunder in my 42 years of writing hunting articles.

My blog inflamed legions of people I love most..... hunters and shooters. Obviously, when I wrote that blog, I activated my mouth before engaging my brain.

Let me explain the circumstances surrounding that blog. I was hunting coyotes, and after the hunt was over and being beat up by 60 mph winds all day, I was discussing hunting with one of the young guides. I was tired and exhausted, and I should have gone to bed early. When the guide told me that there was a "huge" following of hunters who use AR 15's and similar weapons to hunt prairies dogs, I was amazed. At that point I wrote the blog, and never thought it through.

Now then, you might not believe what I have to say, but I hope you do. How is it that Zumbo, who has been hunting for more than 50 years, is totally ignorant about these types of guns. I don't know. I shot one once at a target last year, and thought it was cool, but I never considered using one for hunting. I had absolutely no idea how vast the numbers of folks are who use them.

I never intended to be divisive, and I certainly believe in United we Stand, Divided we Fall. I've been an NRA member for 40 years, have attended 8 national NRA conventions in the last 10 years, and I'm an advisory board member for the United States Sportsmen's Alliance which actively fights anti-hunters and animal rights groups for hunter's rights.

What really bothers me are some of the unpatriotic comments leveled at me. I fly the flag 365 days a year in my front yard. Last year, through an essay contest, I hosted a soldier wounded in Iraq to a free hunt in Botswana. This year, through another essay contest, I'm taking two more soldiers on a free moose and elk hunt.

When I started blogging, I was told to write my thoughts, expressing my own opinion. The offensive blog I wrote was MY opinion, and no one else's. None of the companies that I deal with share that opinion, nor were they aware of what I had written until this firestorm started.  

Believe it or not, I'm your best friend if you're a hunter or shooter, though it might not seem that way. I simply screwed up.   And, to show that I'm sincere about this, I just talked to Ted Nugent, who everyone knows, and is a Board member of the NRA. Ted is extremely active with charities concerning our wounded military, and though he's known as a bowhunter, Ted has no problem with AR 15's and similar firearms. My sincerity stems from the fact that Ted and I are planning a hunt using AR 15's. I intend to learn all I can about them, and again, I'm sorry for inserting my foot in my mouth.

Sounds to me like he said he was wrong, what he said was said out of ignorance, and he was sorry.  It may make you feel like a chest-thumping testosterone filled manly man to stomp on a guy when he's down but this guy was about to do us a favor.  He was going to go hunting with an AR-15 and we could have used the positive press.  That opportunity, however, has almost certainly been lost.  

BTW, I do realize the Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting and that a gun's ability to be used to hunt has no bearing on the fact it should be protected under the Second Amendment.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

next taking about Zumbo

Darren was making the same stupid mistakes as many...........he was calling the semiauto "assault rifles".  I wish everyone would get this straight.  He said real assault weapons fire full auto.  He kept intermixing the two terms.

He kind of hinted at the timing of Zumbo's remarks and HR1022.  Makes you wonder if Zumbo perhaps is in bed with someone.

I thought that was kind of fishy too. As if Zumbo had a "NEW" silent sponser.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was wrong, BIG TIME
Someone once said that to err is human. I just erred, and made without question, the biggest blunder in my 42 years of writing hunting articles.

My blog inflamed legions of people I love most..... hunters and shooters. Obviously, when I wrote that blog, I activated my mouth before engaging my brain.

Let me explain the circumstances surrounding that blog. I was hunting coyotes, and after the hunt was over and being beat up by 60 mph winds all day, I was discussing hunting with one of the young guides. I was tired and exhausted, and I should have gone to bed early. When the guide told me that there was a "huge" following of hunters who use AR 15's and similar weapons to hunt prairies dogs, I was amazed. At that point I wrote the blog, and never thought it through.

Now then, you might not believe what I have to say, but I hope you do. How is it that Zumbo, who has been hunting for more than 50 years, is totally ignorant about these types of guns. I don't know. I shot one once at a target last year, and thought it was cool, but I never considered using one for hunting. I had absolutely no idea how vast the numbers of folks are who use them.

I never intended to be divisive, and I certainly believe in United we Stand, Divided we Fall. I've been an NRA member for 40 years, have attended 8 national NRA conventions in the last 10 years, and I'm an advisory board member for the United States Sportsmen's Alliance which actively fights anti-hunters and animal rights groups for hunter's rights.

What really bothers me are some of the unpatriotic comments leveled at me. I fly the flag 365 days a year in my front yard. Last year, through an essay contest, I hosted a soldier wounded in Iraq to a free hunt in Botswana. This year, through another essay contest, I'm taking two more soldiers on a free moose and elk hunt.

When I started blogging, I was told to write my thoughts, expressing my own opinion. The offensive blog I wrote was MY opinion, and no one else's. None of the companies that I deal with share that opinion, nor were they aware of what I had written until this firestorm started.  

Believe it or not, I'm your best friend if you're a hunter or shooter, though it might not seem that way. I simply screwed up.   And, to show that I'm sincere about this, I just talked to Ted Nugent, who everyone knows, and is a Board member of the NRA. Ted is extremely active with charities concerning our wounded military, and though he's known as a bowhunter, Ted has no problem with AR 15's and similar firearms. My sincerity stems from the fact that Ted and I are planning a hunt using AR 15's. I intend to learn all I can about them, and again, I'm sorry for inserting my foot in my mouth.

Sounds to me like he said he was wrong, what he said was said out of ignorance, and he was sorry.  It may make you feel like a chest-thumping testosterone filled manly man to stomp on a guy when he's down but this guy was about to do us a favor.  He was going to go hunting with an AR-15 and we could have used the positive press.  That opportunity, however, has almost certainly been lost.  

BTW, I do realize the Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting and that a gun's ability to be used to hunt has no bearing on the fact it should be protected under the Second Amendment.  

HE did err, he erred in writing it down and posting it, and that is all I can see him apologizing for.  He defends his opinion.  And he certainly does not apologize for the terrorist remark or anything else.

On top of that his apology contains an OUTRIGHT LIE.  HE called for hunters to divorce themselves from us, and then says that he did not mean to be divisive?  Which is it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was wrong, BIG TIME

Please highlight for me where he retracts the "terrorist" remarks.  All this asshole tried to do was wrap himself in the flag and tell us what how he is our "best friend".

Fuck him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was wrong, BIG TIME

Show me in your pretty highlights where he apologized specifically to ALL AR-15 user who he called "terrorists".  All he was doing was CYA, he didn't apologize for shit.

If he had originally said, "I don't think AR-15's are suitable for hunting" and left it at that, there would not have been such a shit-storm.  When he equates ownership of a type of rifle that in select-fire versions is in use by the U.S. Armed Services as a "terrorist" weapon then he deserves all the crap that falls on his head.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well said.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
I'm confident that Nuge is SOLIDLY on our side. Just pay a visit to his discussion forum and read a few of his replies. He agrees, Zumbo screwed up in a big way, but would rather use this opportunity to convert him to our side, rather than execute him.

www.tednugent.com/cgi-bin/tnusa/nugeboard3/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=General&number=1

I tend to agree with Ted...
Zumbo is more usefull to us if he is converted.

hoot
Zumbo might suddenly pretend to be converted, and might even publish what seems to be a sincere apology.  But I won't believe a word of it.

Call me cynical, but I think Zumbo is playing us for a bunch of suckers.  I believe he meant every word of his original "terrorist rifle" blog.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Here it is, form Pelosi and company the newest model of Liberal Safe Assault Rifle:

members.cox.net/substandard/zumbogun.jpg

That's the funniest thing I've seen all day!!  

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes. thanked Remington and Hi Mountain so far...no thanks to Gerber  

THANK the outdoor ch also!!

I haven't read through all 55 pages, so it might already be posted, but Mossy Oak has dropped him too.  It's on the first page of their web site.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#25]
He excercised his 1st Amendment right to insult our excercising of our 2nd Amendment right.

Speech is Free but not without consequences.

I'll be looking forward to pro-ar15 hunting articles and shows that will probably follow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#26]
No problem FN_FAL  I thought somehere owuld appreciate it.  :D  Les
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#27]
So just checking... is everyone thanking Remington and others for severing ties with Dumbo? And are we contacting our Reps about HR 1022 in the numbers that we responded to Zumbo? I am just wondering
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm interested in seeing Jim Zumbo's furture comments on the subject. I'm glad to see Ted Nugent take him underwing and educate him.

Jim Zumbo could bring a lot of anti-EBR Fudds back into the 2nd Amentment fold, or at least get them to keep their traitorous, backstabbing mouths shut.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Zuck Fumbo calling me a terrorist?  He's either looking for a fight or is seriously senile.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe Mr. Zumbo should have spoken to the NRA's publishing branch before his remarks. I was surprised as heck to find not one but two articles about the AR platform in March 07 American Rifleman. The one is a write up on building a varmint upper and the other is about the LMT CQB rifle.

ETA fixin' sum gramer
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm interested in seeing Jim Zumbo's future comments on the subject. I'm glad to see Ted Nugent take him underwing and educate him.

I'm not interested in hearing anything but silence from him.  Ted Nugent said on his site that he and Jim Zumbo have been friends since his West Point days when Jim was the conservation chief there.  This is just a friend trying to help a friend out of a jam, nothing more grandiose than that.  Zumbo came up with those words on his own, and put them up for the whole world to see.  In doing so he gave the anti-gun camp a propaganda windfall that we will be lucky to survive.

Jim Zumbo could bring a lot of anti-EBR Fudds back into the 2nd Amendment fold, or at least get them to keep their traitorous, backstabbing mouths shut.

Maybe he would and maybe he wouldn't, but like the dog that bites his owner without provocation; no matter how much he was once loved, he can no longer be trusted.  He abused his position of power to hurt all gun owners, and those gunowners have spoken.  You can turn your other cheek if you want to, I choose to show him both of mine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a copy of Jim Zumbo's venison cookbook, signed by the author.  I am thinking of putting it for sale in the EE for $100.  One of you terrorists would probably pay good money to burn that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's my email to Gerber

It's a shame that you have decided to support someone that calls servicemen terrorist for using an AR-15. I much preferred your products to those of leatherman. However, I will no longer support you for continuing your allegiance with someone that spits in the face of military members and the second amendment.  I will also be letting every Squadron Impact Card holder I can contact on both Eglin and Hurlburt (my current station), as well as Davis Monthan and Keesler (my prior stations) know who not to make military purchases from in the future. Having a government sales section is such a farce when you support people that could give a crap about the second amendment and very publicly call AR15 owners terrorists.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
We need to get IIRC a membership for all this.

It is done.
IIRC has his IMs off, so I can't notify directly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#38]
When are we going to hear from the NRA ???????
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

For that answer, you need to watch last night's NRAnews, www.nranews.com/nranews.aspx Wait through a brief message and you will see "If you missed last night's show click here to watch it now" on the lower left side of the screen. Enjoy! They didn't give anymore slack than we did here.

In as much as the NRA wasn't sponsoring any of his activities, I don't think that the urgency seen with sponsors like Remingon, etc. was necessary.  

BTW, are you a member too? There are 2 life members in this household.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is this an NRA issue?  He was wrong.  Do you REALLY need to hear it in "official terms" from the NRA in order to . . . what?  

Mr Zumbo is on some editorial board or boards of the NRA and writes for one of the mags and even if he were not part of the NRA,  the NRA's position on this is important, they need to make a public statement IMO. The NRA's public position on this kind of thing is very important to myself and alot of other NRA members.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For that answer, you need to watch last night's NRAnews, www.nranews.com/nranews.aspx Wait through a brief message and you will see "If you missed last night's show click here to watch it now" on the lower left side of the screen. Enjoy! They didn't give anymore slack than we did here.

In as much as the NRA wasn't sponsoring any of his activities, I don't think that the urgency seen with sponsors like Remingon, etc. was necessary.  

BTW, are you a member too? There are 2 life members in this household.

Member and an NRA Certified Pistol, CCW and Personal Protection Instructor..
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Originally stated by Dumbo the Fudd:

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the prairies and woods.

I haven't read the whole 56 pages, but has anybody mentioned that it seems like this guy is basically saying those who carry the AR-15 rifle (and it's derivatives (M16, M4, etc.)) are the ones who are terrorizing the world?  Isn't that basically straight out of the DU playbook of calling our military the bad guys and the ROPers those "poor misunderstood individuals"?  I mean, who does he really call a terrorist here?  The men and women in our military who are "terrorizing the world with them", that's who.  

So, it seems to me that he's both anti-EBR, plus anti-US military (since he calls 'em terrorists)...  

Am I the only one who sees that, or did I fall off the wagon?

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Frank Ross  
Cabelas.com Admin   Join Date: Jun 2005

Re: Jim Zumbo...Friend of The Antis?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Monday, February 19, Cabela’s suspended sponsorship of the Jim Zumbo Outdoors television show until Cabela’s Legal Department could review contractual obligations and commitments relating to our business relationship. As of Tuesday, February 20, Cabela’s has ceased our business relationship with Mr. Zumbo.

Cabela’s strongly disagrees with Mr. Zumbo’s February 16 posting on his Hunting with Jim Zumbo blog on Outdoor Life’s Web site. His opinions on this matter run counter to the beliefs shared by Cabela’s more than 12,000 employees, many of whom are hunters, recreational shooters and firearm enthusiasts.

From the Cabela's website's discussion forum.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#46]
This may be covered elsewhere,  but Swarovski and Stoney Point are also still sponsors of Jim Zumbo.  I am reasonably sure that Swarovski is an anti-2A company in general,  so I think that time wasted writing them is literally time wasted,  but Stoney Point is a division of Bushnell and ought to be amenable to dropping their sponsorship of Zumbo - if they haven't already.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Post the email contact infomration.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Got an email from Tom Grisham tonight:

Look at his response on his website:

www.guntalk.com/site.php?pageID=15&newsID=12

Text here:

Tipping Point -- Suicide on the Web

Something fascinating just happened. I suspect it will be studied by those who do such things, but at this point, it is clear that last weekend we saw a sea change in the way gun owners react to threats.

If you heard Gun Talk last Sunday, Feb. 18, you heard Jim Zumbo, longtime hunting writer for Outdoor Life, addressing a blog (online comment piece) he wrote. If you didn't hear it, you can download the archive file here: http://guntalk.libsyn.com. It's the February 18 show, "part C."

Jim basically committed career suicide. In short, he wrote in his blog on the Outdoor Life web site that he had just learned (while on a hunt) that some people use AR-15 rifles for hunting. He offered his thought that this was a bad image for hunters. Okay, that's his opinion. But, he went even further, calling for game departments to ban the use of these rifles for hunting. After crossing the line and calling for a banning of those guns for hunting, he firmly planted his foot on a land mine and called AR-15s "terrorist rifles." The explosion from that misstep was heard throughout the firearms industry.

You see, the AR-15 is one of the most popular firearm platforms going. I own three of them and love to shoot them. I don't consider myself a terrorist, and neither do the millions of others who own them and shoot them for recreation, or who own them for personal defense. On "Personal Defense TV" we have been showing that the thinking among security trainers has moved away from the shotgun as the ideal home defense gun, and in many quarters, it now favors the AR-15 or some other carbine (short rifle).

Zumbo had made a mistake from which there was no recovery. He wrote his blog while on a hunting trip. Just before going on the air, I checked the internet forums (fora?) and found a firestorm. People were livid, and with good reason. Some of the comments were clearly over the top, but most of them conveyed the rage that comes from a feeling of being betrayed by someone you thought of as one of your own.

We were only 30 minutes away from going on the air for a live, three-hour broadcast, so I called Zumbo's home. He was still enroute home from his hunting trip and knew nothing about the controversy he had created. I left word that if he wanted to come on the show to make a statement, he could call in.

During the last hour of the show, he decided to go onto Gun Talk, live. He had just posted an apology on the Outdoor Life web site. His explanation was that he just didn't know anything about these rifles, and had no idea that people actually hunted with them. I felt for Jim, but I also knew that in calling for the banning (even if only for hunting) of any gun was incredible, but calling them rifles used by terrorists was, quite simply, unconscionable.

Having just read some of the comments on a few of the online groups where people were posting Zumbo's home address and personal information, calling for . . . well, it was hard to know what they were calling for . . . I made a comment about our willingness to eat our own. Some of that was based on hearing gunnies say that they won't buy Ruger firearms because of something Bill Ruger said two decades ago. Hey, the man is dead and buried.

Still, in this case, I was wrong. That's not what was going on here, as I discovered when I got off the air. To listeners who took offense, I do apologize. The outrage by gun owners is completely understandable. To put it in context, Zumbo's comments came only days after we saw the introduction of a bill in Congress to bring back the Clinton Gun Ban (the so-called "assault weapons" ban). The final nail in the coffin was when-- Sunday afternoon -- the Brady Campaign (the leading group working to restrict gun rights) posted Zumbo's comments to several places on the net, saying, in effect, "See, even the top hunting writer says these rifles have no legitimate use."

At that point, it was all over for Jim Zumbo.

Thousands upon thousands of emails were directed to Remington and all the sponsors of Zumbo's television show on The Outdoor Channel. The emails were all pretty much the same -- dump Zumbo or I'll never buy any of your products. Remington first posted a message saying it was severing all ties with Zumbo. On Monday, the company said it was ending its sponsorship of him. Other companies followed, and it continues. Outdoor Life removed Zumbo's blog, and his apology. Each had generated thousands of comments -- almost all of them hugely negative.

We can take away from this experience several observations.

The first is that this attitude of "just let them take those ugly, black guns" is common among hunters and competitive shooters. Anyone with that attitude is a fool. Sit down with a hunter from England or Australia, hear him tell the story of what happened there, and watch the tears well up in his eyes when he says they never thought the government would take away their hunting guns. To gun banners, there is no such thing as a good gun. They want them all. When Tom Diaz, of the Violence Policy Center, was on Gun Talk, I forced him to admit that he would like to ban all guns. What about the police, I asked. Once we get all the other guns, he said, the police won't need their guns, either.

A ban on black guns, or "Saturday Night Specials," or 50-caliber rifles, is a ban on all our guns. There is no such thing as a bad gun or a good gun. We can't throw babies off the back of the sled, thinking it will keep the wolves away from us.

The next thing we learn from this is that the world has just changed. This entire episode took place inside of 36 hours, on a weekend -- a three-day weekend for President's Day. It happened...and this is important...entirely on the internet. The original posting was on the net, the reaction was on the net, the emails demanding that companies break off with Zumbo were on the net, and the reactions from the companies were all on their web sites. This was completely an internet event. It was a nuclear explosion, with tens of thousands of messages posted, spanning all the firearms-related web sites.

How often over the last 30 years, as I fought for gun rights, traveled to Washington, DC, wrote about gun rights, spoke at the Gun Rights Policy Conference, and for the last 14 years, broadcasted about gun rights on the radio, have I lamented the inability to get gun owners motivated to protect their own rights? This powerful example shows that it can be done.

Now, the real question is whether we can generate that kind of response when we need to defeat a gun ban. Can we melt down mail servers of elected representatives the way gun owners hammered the servers at various companies? I don't know.

What I do know is that we are facing more calls for gun bans and restrictions on our gun rights over the next few years than we have seen in the last 40 years. Someone on the side of gun rights needs to develop a way to replicate this . . . this "Zumbo Effect" . . . to beat back the assault which has already started.

We must find a way to "Zumbo" our attackers in Congress, in the state houses, and wherever they assault our rights.

Tom Gresham

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Not sure it's been posted in the thread, yet, have been trying to keep up.

Nuge says there is to be a Zumbo day on his forums...

Am I the only varminter hear with his inner Carl Spackler fit to be tied with images of ground hogs/gophers sticking their heads out of the ground?

ZUMBOCONG!!!

nugeboard.tednugent.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/286805.html

Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top