Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Apart from propane, I could stay on my property for probably 3 years. I may have gone overboard, but I sleep very well at night.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't Prep.  I just maintain enough stuff for a LONG camping trip and moderate violence.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Closest thing to SHTF in my area is going to be civil unrest.

The whole Oscar Grant ordeal got a bit messy in Oakland, and I can definitely see something like that happening in the Iron Triangle of Richmond and eventually spilling out to where I am.
So as fucked up as it is, race riots/wars is what I'd consider the most likely SHTF scenario for me.

There's also the whole "giant earthquake" thing that is supposed to happen eventually.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#4]
You prepare for likely emergencies, that means Earthquakes in So Cal, Hurricanes on the East Coast, Tornadoes in the Midwest.. you see where this is going.
There is no way you can be prepared for a SHTF event, prep for a DPOTF event ( Dog Poop On The Floor ), same thing but more localized.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on what you mean by prepared?

If you can't survive a week or two without going to the supermarket, living without power for a few day,  then yes you should be doing more.

View Quote

Ever hear of the Ant & the Grasshopper??

Being an Adult in the society should mean being prepared to take care of you & yours for a week, (or two) without outside assistance.  

Hurricane, Tornado, Blizzard, Job Loss or Transition.

Instead of fancy $200 Nike Air Jordan sneakers or latest iPhones, more people would be better served by having a stock of groceries & extra money in reserve for "bad times".

Having a gun means you & yours can keep what you saved & purchased from those who chose to live for today and will be very sorry they didn't plan for tomorrow -

Society is really three days away from Anarchy - if the FSA can't get what they want, expect looting and riot of epic scale.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Here the most likely SHTF scenario would be a hurricane landfall or an ICBM strike. We prepare for the former don't worry about the latter.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#7]
We've been prepping for tornado SHTF for a year or two now.  It seems to be the most likely of all events.

That said I'm not a believer that the gravy train will last forever.  It is nice to know in the back of my mind that should something happen we are GTG.

If SHTF don't expect me to be posting here.  I'll be gone gone gone and faded into the woodwork.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'd imagine many people preparing for SHTF become gunowners if they weren't already and the mindset of people who are gunowners is more towards preparedness.
View Quote

You've got your head in the sand if you aren't preparing at some level.

I spend my time, effort and money preparing for the most common "SHTF" scenarios.  Those include:  loss of my job, car/transportation problems, short-duration power outages, illness, food storage, etc...  and way on down towards the bottom of the list are things like TEOTWAWKI, Zombie Apocalypse, Massive Civil War, etc...

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Back in the early 90's we had an ice storm where people went without power for a couple of weeks, and about 4 years ago some major flooding that messed things up for a lot of people. Those kind of short-term events are the ones for which I prepare.

If anything ever happens that results in TEOTWAWKI, then I'll just have to adapt to the new world or die.  The older I get that less I am concerned about that.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#10]
SHTF is extremely unlikely in my area.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Really?  Give us an AAR on your experience.  Then we'll see if you were really prepared or just the luckiest guy on the planet.  Either way works out the same in the end.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in a hurricane state. SHTF is likely every summer.
I did Sandy and Irene. No power for at least a week. Hasn't changed my view and my lack of prep.  
Really?  Give us an AAR on your experience.  Then we'll see if you were really prepared or just the luckiest guy on the planet.  Either way works out the same in the end.  

I live out on the east end. Our downtown had power the entire time. Weather never got cold enough on both occasions that I needed heat. I purchased a case or two of water, and food. I always have guns and cash.

My biggest worry was where I was going to shower every AM and after a week of no power I was looking for a place to do wash my clothes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Do you have a wife or children?

View Quote
Nope

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Meh some people will need to die...no fucks given
I highly doubt that I'm in the segment that will die. I'm in my twenties, no physical conditions requiring medication, I'm in shape, and have guns.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#14]
You don't need to prep.  You'll always be able to get to the FSA center.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#15]
There are two different issues being discussed - preparing for temporary disruption in service vs. all out grab your ass SHTF.    I feel preparing for the former is wise but preparing for the latter is really no use.   I wouldn't want to live like a caveman anyway.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd imagine many people preparing for SHTF become gunowners if they weren't already and the mindset of people who are gunowners is more towards preparedness.
View Quote

OP must have never lived in an earthquake or hurricane zone.  Our infrastructure can be quite fragile, and store shelves clear out very quickly.  

I don't consider myself a 'prepper', however, I have a decent store of food, purely from buying items in bulk or on sale to save money.  I will admit that it gives me some comfort to have a stockpile.  It is also nice to be able to prepare many different dishes on a whim, without a trip to the grocer.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't go nuts about this; I'm in the same place I was on New Years Day 1955 when I was three months old. My Dad and neighbor put in a fall-out shelter after Castro let the Soviets put a base in Cuba. They were the ONLY ones to spend a night in that can in the ground, and I helped clean out the spoiled food. Do what makes sense, don't prepare for some WWIII you will never see!
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I have preps to go almost a year for 6 people.

If I lived on Lawn Guyland as the OP does... I'd have more on hand than I do.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

So.

What's the point to the hearing test?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#20]
OP is FSA in training.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#21]
My personal priority list is 1.) economic (debt, savings, job, overhead) 2.) physical (fitness, overall health) 3.) crime preparedness (handgun, unarmed, edged weapon and fitness).  After that the "prep" is next but WAY lower in priority and actually doing anything.

How off am I?

I rank them according my perception of chance of falling victim to them.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#22]
If you don't care, why are you asking?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup.  In 2004 I had three systems snuggle up to me.  I've lost power due to summer thunderstorms, drunk drivers, horny squirrels and equipment failure.

I HAD TO DRINK WHISKEY WITHOUT ICE ONCE.  How the fuck do you expect me to maintain civilized behavior without ice in my drink?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  In 2004 I had three systems snuggle up to me.  I've lost power due to summer thunderstorms, drunk drivers, horny squirrels and equipment failure.

I HAD TO DRINK WHISKEY WITHOUT ICE ONCE.  How the fuck do you expect me to maintain civilized behavior without ice in my drink?

Oh yeah, well I had to drink warm beer after Francis, Irene, and the other one I forgot the name of.   HOW CAN A CIVILIZED WORLD FUNCTION LIKE THIS?  
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, well I had to drink warm beer after Francis, Irene, and the other one I forgot the name of.   HOW CAN A CIVILIZED WORLD FUNCTION LIKE THIS?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You failed in prepping.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#25]
In the likely event that the unprepared decide to find their sustenance in my hurricane supplies without invitation, then I am prepared to ensure that they do not.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top