Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am 16 years old and have been considering entering the military. I am not afraid to admit that I am afraid of being wounded in combat, not because of the pain, but because of the uncertainness of what has happened to my body. I think fear is a postive and very necessary emotion; however, fear detracts from a man's character when it prevents him of doing what must be done.

I think people are most afraid of being shot, stabbed, etc. because they have no prior experiences to relate being wounded to. So... my question is... could anyone who has been shot/wounded and would not have a problem talking about it, please post what it felt like and if you can remember, what you were thinking when it happened.

I think the fear of death is universal and that the "macho" attitude prevents many individuals from voicing this.  

I think you've already invested far too much time and energy mulling it over. Either you are hit, or you are not.
You sound like every other kid who's discovered the metaphysical, and then starts spouting it to sound more mature. Pull back, that way lays simpering pussyhood.

There is no problem in acknowledging and discussing Fear. But crap as you've expressed so far all too often ends up in lassitude, nihilism and posturing like 'it's useless, why bother'.

The times I've ended up massively injured (not shot), I've been far too busy working on overcoming the situation and getting myself to proper care for any languid introspection or useless 'What's it all about, Alfie?' bullcrap.

I think you misunderstood my question and I also think that you haven't considered the psyche of individuals if there was a large draft. I am not afraid of being shot at to a point of negligence to duty, however, I do have the balls to express what is on the minds of many men that go into combat. How the fuck do YOU know this? OH plez enlighten us. Sorry but you DONT SPEAK for the Men and women that go into combat, you DONT know Do you think that men don't feel fear the moment they pass Basic or Adv. MOS? I didnt, why would I or anyone for that matter. Infact they would be more jazzed up about using the skills they are taught.

I am just curious because I have never experienced it... same reason Ragma Fucktarder gets knocked up at age 14 because she was curious about  sex.

Anyways, if you thought you were being prodigous and enlightening me through your ability to quickly scour over a dictionary and find some words that your normal individual wouldn't know, you weren't. So, move along, and make yourself feel better by kicking dogs and pushing over children to get to the front of whatever Japanese Animation action-figure debut at your local Toys 'R' Us.

You have alot to learn and your age really shows , 16? I wouldve guessed 13 (the legal age to be on ARF)

AND YOU THINK YOU SPEAK FOR ALL INDIVIDUALS THAT GO INTO THE ARMY??

DO YOU THINK JOHN KERRY SPEAKS FOR ALL VIETNAM VETERANS??

I never said I spoke for anyone, no where in any of my posts did I say that, if somewhere I did, than so be it. YOU ARE THE ONE THAT WAS SPEAKING FOR ALL THE PPL GOIN INTO COMBAT> How is this possible? I have no idea what the next man beside me is thinking or feeling. Nobody but him will ever know and that was what you were asking in the ORIGINAL THREAD. Right? Well ppl are giving their opinons on their experiences, all you have done is attack and pulled your lil English Grammar shit in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Then what exactly did you hope to achieve by saying that you think individuals who are "afraid of being shot" go into the "Navy, Air Force" etc?

Now, I know a man of your stature would never imply that people in the Navy and Air Force are afraid of being shot because you "have no idea what the man standing next to you is thinking", right?

Specificity is a bitch
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
GrH, I was on your side for a bit, but with your responses I do not think you will have to worry about being in the army or marines to get shot. With your smart ass remarks I bet you get shot b4 you even enlist.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never actually been shot with a bullet but I think I know what it is like.  My bro and I had a .22 shell back when we were really young, like, a lot younger than I am now (I'm 16).  It was a charge for a .22 caliber concrete nail gun.  My bro had the bright idea to hit it with a hammer and make it go off.  I thought that would be fun.  He hit it and not really knowing what happened I fell to the ground and said, "you shot me!"  I had my hand on my ankle and there was blood splattered all over the gravel.  He asked to see it but I couldn't actually feel it, surprisingly enough.  After a while I took my hand off to find a small hole in my leg.  I think a peice of the shell hit the bone and bounced out again because I never found a piece in there.  I never felt anything.  I am sure it was nothing like getting shot but I remember being a little scared at first and calming down after a while.  I never felt pain even though the hole it made should have hurt like hell!  Adrenaline really does reduce pain almost to zero.  Once you know what happened there isn't usually a lot of fear.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
1Walker:

"7.62 millimeter, Full Metal Jacket...(KA-FUCKING-BOOM)"..

Thanks for all the advice lol
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Then what exactly did you hope to achieve by saying that you think individuals who are "afraid of being shot" go into the "Navy, Air Force" etc?

Now, I know a man of your stature would never imply that people in the Navy and Air Force are afraid of being shot because you "have no idea what the man standing next to you is thinking", right?

Specificity is a bitch

LoL...I said YOU should join the Navy or Airforce. But I shouldve added to stay stateside (ALL BRanches fighting the war risk getting shot overseas)

You can pick at my words all you want, DILLIGAF?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks, Cpt. Kirk

I knew you had to be a "Trekkie".  Here's to you GrH You sound like you are going to be one hell of a REMF one day!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
LoL... I like how you highlight words from posts I have made.... and then accuse me of "picking at your posts"... its okay, though. Your the "Not So Clandestine Marine" right?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, Cpt. Kirk

I knew you had to be a "Trekkie".  Here's to you GrH You sound like you are going to be one hell of a REMF one day!

Strick909: Still upset because people don't think his UserName is bad ass enough
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
GrH, I was on your side for a bit, but with your responses I do not think you will have to worry about being in the army or marines to get shot. With your smart ass remarks I bet you get shot b4 you even enlist.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
LoL... I like how you highlight words from posts I have made.... and then accuse me of "picking at your posts"... its okay, though. Your the "Not So Clandestine Marine" right?

Its called REPLYING, Its easier to QUOTE you and put my comments in red, so you and everyone will know what im referring to. Dunno what your problem is junior but ask momma and daddy to up your ridlin dosage.

EDIT: And talking all billy bad ass behind a keyboard really makes you look tough . You are the poster child for KeyBoard Commando.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I will do that... after I start calling my father, what was that, "Momma" and my father, "Daddy".

Also, is there a reason why your arguments are related to my posts, and rather, my character?

Reminiscent of a Kerry rally.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#13]
IBTL
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#14]
This is embarassing. And more than a little bit sad.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#15]
hey GHb I did not give you advice you little cunt. I gave you facts.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Strick909: Still upset because people don't think his UserName is bad ass enough

It's not what you think about my username that upsets me, It's what you think about my avatar! Please tell me it's kewl! Yeah, as you can imagine, I spend most of my nights tossing and turning. I just can't go to sleep unless a  prepubescent, acne faced dweeb thinks I'm the shiznit.

GrH_Revelation: Dork.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Walker1:

Okay, Big Cunt.. And I am giving you facts... if you want to claim that I am a "loser", why respond to my posts?

Note: You aren't a hard ass because you like "Walker Texas Ranger"... fact
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not what you think about my username that upsets me, It's what you think about my avatar! Please tell me it's kewl! Yeah, as you can imagine, I spend most of my nights tossing and turning. I just can't go to sleep unless a  prepubescent, acne faced dweeb thinks I'm the shiznit.

GrH_Revelation: Dork.

Your avatar isn't displayed... but, thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#19]
My last name is Walker, you fuckfist. You are a loser and a little cunt who age is showing with your remarks to people who have tried to help you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#20]
When I started reading this thread, I'd bet that most of the people here had a positive opinion of GRH. Now I'm sure that almost everyone doesn't.

If you aren't a , then you're just an asshole. I'd like to see the response  a recruiter would have to you if you speak to him like this when he offers his opinion.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I would just like to say, I wouldnt want to have Grh in my unit. We have enough little crybabies as it is.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Fucking kids.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Fucking kids.

+1  This started out as being a really good thread.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I see some reading in this young gents future.. You may wanna start with this one.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread is sad.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#26]
GrH_Revelation

You are obviously a troll.  You merely respond to flames and not to anything that would reflect as a positive answer to your inquiry.

You set your own trap.

Our Code of Conduct dictates that you will have your status reviewed.

I will happily bring this to the attention of the powers that be.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#27]
orig. posted by 82d ABN:

Before we jumped into Operation Just Cause, Panama, 1989, everyone at the PHL was very on-edge and quite scared. Once we were over Omar Torrijos International Airport and tracers were piercing the skin of the aircraft, the fear quickly ebbed and anger took its place.
i'd say thats the best description i've heard here of the common reaction. get pissed.

Our platoon performed remarkably well and I too, was surprised at how everyone clicked and did their jobs without hesitation. I learned on Dec. 20th and 21st that we had some very brave, heroic men in our unit.
Being shot or injured was not really a thought that occupied our minds. Killing the enemy was at the forefront. I know it may sound disturbing but as young men with molded minds, we actually craved action.

thats b/c you were in the best unit in the world. AIRBORNE.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't feed the...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't know if you are a troll or not but I will give you a bit of enlightenment as some here already have. I have served the last 11 years of my life either training for hostilities or in actual combat. When I was in combat, every time I rolled out on a mission I prayed that I would be safe and I stayed SUPER focused on everything around me because I was scared. I am not saying that I was scared enough not to do my job, just scared. I performed my job at the best of my abilities at ALL times because I was scared of getting fucked up. When I was not on a mission I was wanting to go on a mission... I wanted to do my job in the worst possible way and no fear ever enterd my mind until I was told to kit up and roll out. Now I am also scared to death of flying, I can not stand flying but my job requires it A LOT so I just suck it up and drive on. Now if someone is so scared that it would keep them from doing their job then that is fucked up and they don't need to be in this line of work. Fear is not the issue, it is how you deal with fear that is what makes a courageous man.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#30]
In April of 02 I was working in Kosovo and caught shrapnel from a grenade in my legs and ass. It didn't scare me or really even hurt at the time. When it was all over and I had time to reflect a little, then it scared me a little.
Being scared of getting shot, or wounded is totally normal. But like a couple of other guys said, you will fight as you train. I have never had any real feelings of fear while the lead was flying, but after it was all over, or prior to going into a situation where I knew something was probably going to happen, I have had feelings of fear. I heard a guy say once that heroes and cowards both feel fear. The difference in the two guys is what they do with that feeling.  Anyone that has ever been shot at or had another person try to remove them from this earth, and says that they were not scared is either full of shit or just crazy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#31]
My brother in law is a former Marine ("fast team" is what he said he belonged to).  He was shot at close range in the chest 4x he thinks by a 9mm.  He was wearing a vest so he survived.  Strike face pretty hacked up.  He doesn't speak of it much.  I asked what it felt like and he described it as being hit with a sledge hammer.  It knocked him out fow a few but remembers being put on the chopper.

Won't say where or when but said the rescue was a success...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#32]
okay... fair enough.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
or Navy.

well heck yes, none of those guys ever get shot at...

These were US Marines from TF Tarawa outside of An Nasariyah March of 03
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If this is your fear then you need to join the AirForce,
specialtactics.us/albums/pjops/tacmove.jpg
specialtactics.us/albums/pjops/pi031803a6.jpg
specialtactics.us/albums/pjops/hoist.jpg

Coast Guard
www.aug.edu/~libwrw/ds/psu303bimages/powell26.jpg
www.iwu.edu/~iwunews/Magazine/Summer03/Img_1096.jpg
www.uscg.mil/news/Drugs/HITRON/0202drugbust2.jpg

or Navy.
www.specialoperations.com/Navy/SEALs/desert%20seals.jpg
images.webster-dictionary.org/wiki/0/07/US_Navy_SEALs_in_from_water.jpg
www.navyseals.com/community/media/socomdigital/pop/image004.jpg

You will not be a complete fighting soldier if you are afraid on this level. Being afraid isnt a big deal, its how you deal with it, if you let these types of thoughts go thru your head you will certainly die or worse yet cause others around you to die because you are too afraid to do your job or act accordingly. But if  you can put this aside and focus on what you need to do, then by all means join a fighting branch. Jus remember Shit Happens, its not up to you weather it happens now or later. When its time for you to punch your time card one last time than it is. Do what you want and dont be afraid. Nothing in life is much fun without the risks involved and a job to do.

well heck yes, none of those guys ever get shot at...

If you bothered to read my other replys, I corrected myself and stated that the author should join those branches and stay stateside. Dont ppl read anymore.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If you bothered to read my other replys, I corrected myself and stated that the author should join those branches and stay stateside. Dont ppl read anymore.

Fixed it for ya then... but alll of those services have people standing on the ground in many countries all over the world.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for ya then... but alll of those services have people standing on the ground in many countries all over the world.

I understand this, I was part of USMC but I give credit to ANYONE who joins the military, I give them all my respect. This thread has gotten outa hand and a true TROLL has been outed. I do not disrespect any of the branches they all have a job to do all over the world. My statements were meant for the author, meaning if he is worried about this stuff on a pussified level than he needs to consider something else for a line of work. sorry if it didnt turn out that way.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand this, I was part of USMC but I give credit to ANYONE who joins the military, I give them all my respect. This thread has gotten outa hand and a true TROLL has been outed. I do not disrespect any of the branches they all have a job to do all over the world. My statements were meant for the author, meaning if he is worried about this stuff on a pussified level than he needs to consider something else for a line of work. sorry if it didnt turn out that way.

Understand completely... my fault for not reading further, but the thread was falling apart , I jumped in when I should have not, just a knee jerk reaction (23 years now in various services).

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
In April of 02 I was working in Kosovo and caught shrapnel from a grenade in my legs and ass. .

Damn... thank you, sir, for protecting my freedom...
I hope you are doing well.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Holy shit!  There's like 10 of you that are in fucking Iraq!  Damn!  Thank you all for your service!!!

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Courage is not the lack of fear...fear is perfectly normal, and part of our survival instinct...courage is pressing forward despite your fear.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Just saw a talk tonight by a WWII vet who was captured by the Germans in the Battle of the Bulge.  He went thru hell and saw other men go thru worse.  So there are worse things than getting shot.  You can get wounded and then captured and starved and threatened with death.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn, thought this thread would help me but its just turned into a troll thread...

Damn kids...im legally an adult so ehehehe
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#43]
personal attacks
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top