Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I am going to bid $400 so don't anybody outbid me!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Does any one have an email address for the PD to give them an atta boy?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good to me. Sad that they have no money, though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's how the NFA dealer (vultures ) work:

They find a police department with some transferable thompsons or other extremely high dollar NFA, they trade them non-transferable AR15s or MP5s at a 2-1 ratio for the thompsons, and then they sell the thompsons.

And that is why NFA dealers don't want the '86 closing to be undone. :)
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I believe with the right ad and marketing strategy the 1986 ban can get amended to allow limited additions to the transferable registry.

I read an article 6 months ago about another MI PD that sold off 5-6 M16's for 12-14K each!   Two years ago I bought two M16A2's from the Arkansas State Police.  They were mint!   I've also seen a lot of Mini-14 full autos coming from PD's

These departments are bringing in much needed funds.  They are able to purchase new weapons and equipment for their officers without raping the taxpayers. It's a "Win Win" situation.  

But what happens when all the transferable weapons are sold.  The PD's are stuck with 10-20 year old weapons that are worn out or outdated and worth almost zero!

Here is the Plan to fix that and it will work with support from a most unlikely source.
Police Departments

Put together a petition to try and get a bill introduced to amend the 1986 ban to allow full transfer of any weapon held in law enforcement inventory for a period of 5 years or more.  Call it the "Resource Recovery Amendment" or some other happy crap liberal name. Have the PD's that have already profited from these sales sign and support it.

The PD's could auction off their inventory every 5 years and buy all new weapons with money left over! (New toys for all the boys, how could they resist supporting that)

The 5-year rule would not devalue the current market much, if at all, due to limited transactions vs. new demand for previously unavailable items. Maybe even get the ATFE to support it by suggesting a 300.00 tax stamp on these.

The 1986 ban will never be overturned...but it could be amended with the help of the most unlikely source.

My .02

They'd never go for that.
That allows a constant re-introduction of MGs into the supply.
It'd be palatable to suggest that all MGs held by the PD made prior to 1986 be released.
This makes it a finite supply, but a very large one.

It'll never happen because the NFA collectors and dealers would go apeshit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Reed Knight would have a friggin coronary, if the 86' ban was lifted.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Reed Knight would have a friggin coronary, if the 86' ban was lifted.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Lapeer Co. Sheriff's office to sell machine gun to the highest bidder

Department needs the money

February 27, 2007

BY STEVE NEAVLING

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

You, too, could be the proud owner of an automatic weapon -- courtesy of the Lapeer County Sheriff's Office.

Via its Web site, www.county.lapeer.org/sheriff, the department is auctioning off a fully automatic M16, dating to the mid-1970s and capable of firing about 700 rounds a minute. The only requirement is that bidders have a machine gun permit -- available to any adult who doesn't have a criminal record.

Purchased by the department for $500 in the '70s, the weapon, which Lapeer's law enforcers thought might be needed in the event of an emergency like a hostage crisis, has never been fired outside of a shooting range. Undersheriff Robert Rapson said Monday he thinks it may be worth as much as $17,000 now.

So what's a county sheriff's department doing selling a fully automatic machine gun?

What else? Raising money.

Rapson said his office hasn't received a budget increase in six years and desperately needs funds for new guns and other equipment for its 82 deputies.

"We are a small county, and we need to take advantage of this," Rapson said. "We've had to cut to the bone for a long time."

On its Web site, the sheriff's office began taking bids two weeks ago; the deadline is May 1.

The Colt M16 A1 is described as "collector quality ... in excellent to new condition."

"This is the real deal from the Colt factory and marked as M16 with safe, semi and auto selector switch," the Web site reads.

Rapson said he's not worried about a potential safety threat because he's confident that the background check and permit process -- which anyone interested in the weapon must go through with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives -- will weed out potential bidders who might have criminal intentions.

But gun control advocates say it could end up in the wrong hands.

"Even the most reasonable gun owner doesn't want to see this kind of weapon in circulation," said Shikha Hamilton, president of the Michigan chapter of Million Mom March, a gun control group. "The fact that a law enforcement agency is selling a dangerous weapon is appalling."

A 1986 federal law banned the sale of new automatic weapons but allowed those already in circulation to be legally sold. A few states have passed laws outlawing the sale of all automatic guns, but Michigan is not among them.

There are more than 6,500 registered machine guns in Michigan, according to the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Contact STEVE NEAVLING at 586-469-4935 or [email protected].

Copyright © 2007 Detroit Free Press Inc.

This is the article from the Detroit Free Press. I think the person who wrote the article in the first post of  this thread was misinformed. This article states that they know the gun may be worth $17,000 now.   Details aside, These asshats like this lady from the Million Mom March make me ill.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Buyer must have machine gun permit and have no criminal record.

Machine gun permit?  

(ETA, I can't believe I'm the only one that picked up on this.)
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There are more than 6,500 registered machine guns in Michigan, according to the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

And of those 6,500, how many have ever been used in a crime?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]
alright, so i feel like im gonna die here cause i cant bid for this...gdamn it, i need to get this damned permit....ohw ell, another time.  someone raised a good question though.  does anyone know if i could go over to korea, buy a few then bring them back here?  assumin i had all the liscenses and what not.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
alright, so i feel like im gonna die here cause i cant bid for this...gdamn it, i need to get this damned permit....ohw ell, another time.  someone raised a good question though.  does anyone know if i could go over to korea, buy a few then bring them back here?  assumin i had all the liscenses and what not.

Que?
There is no machine gun permit.
It is a $200 tax stamp per NFA item.
And no, you cannot import new MGs - GCA 68 prohibits this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
We should adopt them as a site poster child so they can keep their evil blackrifle.Hell we could support them better then their budget with spares and extras with all the ammo and mag whores.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#15]
to whomever said the MP5 is out of production, you are very wrong my friend. head over to HKPRO and get educated. i assume you are talking about a jane's publication that talked about the new plastic frame weapons and the phase out of the roller locked weapons, however, HK said that they will most definitally keep the MP5 line open as long as there are contracts and there are no shortage of contracts right now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
$1700...I think they will be pleasantly surprised at the end of the auction.

Is that the "Buy it Now" price?....
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"The fact that a law enforcement agency is selling a dangerous weapon is appalling," said Shikha Hamilton, president of the Michigan chapter of the Million Mom March, a gun control group

Now THAT I did NOT expect to see!

ETA: All your page 2 are belong to me.

The media alaways run any gun news by the Brady Bunch/Nowhere near a Million Mom March types first, before publishing it. It's a reflex, like Dr. Strangelove's arm going into a Nazi salute. They'd rather swallow ground glass that get the NRA's take on such news, though. Wonder why?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
"The fact that a law enforcement agency is selling a dangerous weapon is appalling," said Shikha Hamilton, president of the Michigan chapter of the Million Mom March, a gun control group

Now THAT I did NOT expect to see!
hinking.gif

ETA: All your page 2 are belong to me.

The media alaways run any gun news by the Brady Bunch/Nowhere near a Million Mom March types first, before publishing it. It's a reflex, like Dr. Strangelove's arm going into a Nazi salute. They'd rather swallow ground glass that get the NRA's take on such news, though. Wonder why?heAnd the Brady Campaign & Million Mom  Marchers  say "OMFG THE SKY IS FALLING"

which do you think they see as more news worthy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top