BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 4:56:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If you are gonna buy a truck get something you can haul stuff around in. I'd like to see someone try to haul a stack of 4 x 8 sheets of plywood in one of those things.

I have.  Put the midgate down, fold the back seats down and you have your 8'+ for your plywood.  If you want to get a bunch, you can take out the back window too.  Takes all of a few seconds.  The only thing I can think of that I would have trouble with would be something as long as the bed + rear seat area AND taller than the cab ceiling, but I've never had to haul anything like that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 5:00:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CIVILIAN USE!!

Do you ever post anything of substinence?  Or anything pertaining to the discussion at hand?

Link Posted: 4/23/2006 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you are gonna buy a truck get something you can haul stuff around in. I'd like to see someone try to haul a stack of 4 x 8 sheets of plywood in one of those things.

I have.  Put the midgate down, fold the back seats down and you have your 8'+ for your plywood.  If you want to get a bunch, you can take out the back window too.  Takes all of a few seconds.  The only thing I can think of that I would have trouble with would be something as long as the bed + rear seat area AND taller than the cab ceiling, but I've never had to haul anything like that.

They are a great truck.  

I absolutely love our Avalanche.  

BEST TRUCK i HAVE EVER OWNED!
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mythbusters proved up is better for gas milage.

Ye-UP.

Link Posted: 4/23/2006 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
UP.    Because down means you take it up the rear.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2006 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
What does this do to the MPG on a truck ?
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you ever post anything of substinence?  Or anything pertaining to the discussion at hand?

If he has I've never seen it...
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Up.  If I leave it down, all the crap I have bouncing around in the bed of the truck might fall out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried driving with the tailgate down recently, and I thought it made my gas mileage worse!!
Glad to know I was right

BTW, I noticed it enough to go...DAMN...I don't know about this shit. I'm driving tailgate up from now on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You're probably best off with a tonneau cover... or something other than a truck.

Buy a Avalanche

those things are fugly

Beat me to it. If you are gonna buy a truck get something you can haul stuff around in. I'd like to see someone try to haul a stack of 4 x 8 sheets of plywood in one of those things. It's gotta be designed for the metrosexual crowd.

Hyuck hyuck hyuck ... +1 ...
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I see folks driving with the tailgate down sometimes, but I heard it was illegal to have it down in Texas.  The Law dawgs might be lax on that law, but I do not know for sure.  I do it when I have long loads like 8'- 2x4s, but not down without a load.
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Up unless you wanna see your tailgate skidding down the road and they spot welds on your beds start to break.
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I would guess that the tailgate up causes a rolling air pocket that will cut drag as opposed to down.
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It is actually illegal in some areas to drive with the tailgate down.

Kind of the same reason it is illegal in some areas to drive with the
hitchball installed if you aren't towing anything.

Everything is illegal.   That's the game
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I drive with mine down, I get noticeably better mileage with it down, at highway speeds, in town it does not make a big difference.

I have tested it out several times, now, there are other variables, Wind, rain, loads etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What does this do to the MPG on a truck ?
i3.tinypic.com/waj47n.jpg

I'm guessing that if you go really fast then cut the wheel hard to the left, slam on the brakes, and cut your wheels back into it your MPG should improve quickly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you're blowing toll booths in Illinois, it's better to leave it down.

My dad drove his '97 Chevy 2500 V-8 with the gate up, and had a tonneau cover.

My dad drives his '06 Chevy Silverado 1500 V-6 with the gate up, and will get a tonneau cover installed
eventually.

FYI, the '97 had an 8 foot bed, and the '06 has a 6.25 foot bed.
Edit-the 97 was a standard cab, the 06 is an extended cab.

Quoted:

Quoted:

+.9bar
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Hell, if its a "GAS MILAGE" thing , buy a motor scooter.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top