User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The local radio is saying that Bush jr. has said no more money will be coming from the government of the USA.  He has said any further help will be coming from private donations by the people themselves.

Have not seen an article on it but I was happy to here this on the radio since I feel this country has so many problems we need to stop hemmoraging money everywhere.

As for the flag flying, I don't currently have a flag.  If I did wish to fly my flag I would follow the rules and have it at half mast.  However, I also might decide to fold my american flag and put it away for a bit and fly my don't tread on my flag at full height during a period of half mast I did not agree with.

+1 but doesnt the above sound like a load of shit? after all we lost citizens there. Dont get me wromg that flag canfyl at 1/2 mast  4ever  as I am concerned for all those who gave everything so we can be as we are today. So many gave so much......

Waaaaaaaaaaaa my neighbor down the street died -- he was a vet

lets all fly the flag at half mast for him ----- you guys are nuts...

A bunch of warm and cozy ---------- feel goods .. god  damn it --------- this would piss me off  if I did not realize what a bunch of nuts the internet has.

your short sighted at best, and would definatly fit yourself right into your own last sentence.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Half-Mast Rules

Official Dates to fly half-mast:
Peace Officers Memorial Day, May 15th
Memorial Day, last Monday in May (Flag raised to full staff at noon)
Korean War Veterans Day, July 27th
Patriot Day, September 11th
Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, December 7th
If your flag can't fly at Half-Mast:
For flags that can't be lowered, such as those on many homes, the American Legion says that attaching a black ribbon or streamer to the top of the flag is an acceptable alternative. The ribbon should be the same width as a stripe on the flag and the same length as the flag. (Now in Stock for 3x5' flags, Call to order 1-888-697-3524)
For a wall mounted flag, three black mourning bows should be atached to the top edge of the flag, one at each corner and one in the center.
Other Rules:
Only the President and state Governors can decide when and how long the flag should be flown at half-staff.
Thirty days after the death of a president or former president
Ten days after the death of a vice president, the chief of justice or a retired chief of justice or the speaker of the house of representatives.
Until the burial of an associate justice of the Supreme Court, secretary of a military department, a former vice president, or the governor of a tate, territory, or possession.
On the day of and the day after the death of a member of Congress.
On Memorial Day, the day set aside to honor all the people who have died while serving the United States & originally called Decoration Day, the flag is flown at half-mast until noon, then raised to full staff until sundown.

The President is wrong --- catering to the media and world opinion -- he has lost what little respect I had for him

And I know I am not alone ..........
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You know, I DO remember other countries (Germany, England, and others) flying their flags at half staff on 9-12-01. Its called respect for other humans. And we lost less than 2% of what these people have lost.

And what about respect for the "Americans" there that have died? They dont deserve it? If you wont do it for those "Asians" as one of you put it (sorry ass comment IMHO) than do it for your fellow countrymen, women and children.

This is one thread in the 5+ years I have been with Arfcom that really ... shows crappy attitude.

So now we act like Frenchy -- and Europe .

Make up your mind ...

Acting like Frenchy? Do I see us surrendering? Do I see us running? No. All I see us doing is showing respect for the dead. If President Bush asked us to fly a flag at half mast for OBL, Saddam or Milosivic, THEN I would show "Civil Disobedience"

This is respect for innocent men, women and children.

You know that if EU nations didnt fly their flag at half mast... you would bitch and whine. Dont tell me you wont because you would. SO FUCKING WHAT a flag is lowered. NO ONE is putting a gun to your head to do so... So dont. Like I can give a shit what you do.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You know, I DO remember other countries (Germany, England, and others) flying their flags at half staff on 9-12-01. Its called respect for other humans. And we lost less than 2% of what these people have lost.

And what about respect for the "Americans" there that have died? They dont deserve it? If you wont do it for those "Asians" as one of you put it (sorry ass comment IMHO) than do it for your fellow countrymen, women and children.

This is one thread in the 5+ years I have been with Arfcom that really ... shows crappy attitude.

So now we act like Frenchy -- and Europe .

Make up your mind ...

Acting like Frenchy? Do I see us surrendering? Do I see us running? No. All I see us doing is showing respect for the dead. If President Bush asked us to fly a flag at half mast for OBL, Saddam or Milosivic, THEN I would show "Civil Disobedience"

This is respect for innocent men, women and children.

You know that if EU nations didnt fly their flag at half mast... you would bitch and whine. Dont tell me you wont because you would. SO FUCKING WHAT a flag is lowered. NO ONE is putting a gun to your head to do so... So dont. Like I can give a shit what you do.

And it is a damn good thing for you  Frenchy  .
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
when they start asking for half staff for our boys i'll consider it

J

Have to agree here.

+1
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds as if half the people here wouldnt show any respect either if Aus was hit by a disaster...

We flew our flags half mast for you, and now some of you wont do it for them...
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

J

big fat +1
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

J

Have to agree here.

+1

Every day could be 1/2 staff for one reason or another, but ... praise the removal of  many cultures? Thats a shame. NOT a TRADER here just open your eyes ..... there is a world outside the US and in that world we all fit in in one way or another, I know there are those that want to harm us, and  to them death, but there are others that would give a limb to be here and be a patriot come on abord there are many we could do without, but this is not your tree house so get bent isolatioanist! I know the spelling sucks so dont bother
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sounds as if half the people here wouldnt show any respect either if Aus was hit by a disaster...

It has been a very disappointing week... And highlights the fact that I am here primarily for entertainment, and not for the company of like minded people.  Simply put, I'm not like many of you...

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

A disaster, I probably would....A natural disaster, maybe not. A natural disaster is well, natural. It happens because it well....happens. I don't expect Australia to fly their flags at half mast for us if anything happened because it is their flag for their country.

I didn't mean for this post to be offensive in any way if it was, so I apologize in advance if it was taken offensivley.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

J

big fat +1

You must take after your mother ???
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

J

big fat +1

You must take after your mother ???

*shrug* I guess so
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Do not be alarmed...this is the 1st amendment at it's finest.  In this country, every man has the right to sound like as big an ass as they'd like.    This is actually a good thing because, while it may be annoying when you hear a real jerk, it ensures your right to speak your peace regardless of what others think.

IMHO It does not hurt anything to show a bit of compassion.  If we were hit by a tsunami, I'm sure we would appreciate a half staff from the rest of the world, so why not give a half staff for these folk?  At worst it's respect for the dead.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do not be alarmed...this is the 1st amendment at it's finest.  In this country, every man has the right to sound like as big an ass as they'd like.    This is actually a good thing because, while it may be annoying when you hear a real jerk, it ensures your right to speak your peace regardless of what others think.

IMHO It does not hurt anything to show a bit of compassion.  If we were hit by a tsunami, I'm sure we would appreciate a half staff from the rest of the world, so why not give a half staff for these folk?  At worst it's respect for the dead.  

And the above is why we will never have a woman president .
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Dream on.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speak of the devil.  Did someone pee in your Cheerios tonight?

Do you have vagina envy?  I notice you like bringing them up whenever you don't have anything inteligent to say.  I hear there's an operation that can fix that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Oz is not Sri-lanka.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I have mixed feelings on if the flag should be flown at half staff. I am amazed at the attitude of some that they should just do it because the commander in chief says so. Like we should have blind obedience to the commander in chief. If he said fly the blue U.N. flag should we? Bush is on record for saying we should renew the AWB. If Bush signed a more restrictive ban with no grandfather clause should we turn in our black rifles so we can follow the commander in chief?

We have lost over 1300 in Iraq and I do not remember him asking us to fly half staff for any of them.  800,000 killed in Rwanda why no half staff? I do not understand the criteria for half staff. If only 10,000 were killed in the Tsunami would it be flown at half staff?

That being said I guess I will go lower my flag.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#20]
The flag at my company is at half staff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have mixed feelings on if the flag should be flown at half staff. I am amazed at the attitude of some that they should just do it because the commander in chief says so. Like we should have blind obedience to the commander in chief. If he said fly the blue U.N. flag should we? Bush is on record for saying we should renew the AWB. If Bush signed a more restrictive ban with no grandfather clause should we turn in our black rifles so we can follow the commander in chief?

We have lost over 1300 in Iraq and I do not remember him asking us to fly half staff for any of them.  800,000 killed in Rwanda why no half staff? I do not understand the criteria for half staff. If only 10,000 were killed in the Tsunami would it be flown at half staff?

Steve

I have no doubt that the criteria here are suspect, but it's not blind obedience. The President of the United States ordered flags to half-staff, and down they should go. That's very different from him asking us to fly the UN flag (which I would NOT do under any circumstances).

It's a measure of respect for the Office. That said, your questions are valid vis-a-vis Rwanda. As for our guys, we have Veterans day and Memorial Day, the latter of which should be an automatic half-staff, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Steve

There needs to be a line drawn, no matter how you feel about the 'WAVE" Show some respect. Dont get me wrong sitting here in front of my keyboard typing this in the comfort of my own home I would gladley trade my life for any of those lost in combat, it cannot be done so deal with it or inlist! Dont for one damn minute think this will change how the world thinks, be prepaired stand watch and mourn.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Good or bad we set examples for the rest of the world . We are a Super Power , We Model for the ignorant , and impoverished , We give respect for human life and We demand respect for human life in return as well as it should be ! Just as shure as GOD made little green apples I would wish this on Nobody !
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

I have no doubt that the criteria here are suspect, but it's not blind obedience. The President of the United States ordered flags to half-staff, and down they should go. That's very different from him asking us to fly the UN flag (which I would NOT do under any circumstances).

It's a measure of respect for the Office. That said, your questions are valid vis-a-vis Rwanda. As for our guys, we have Veterans day and Memorial Day, the latter of which should be an automatic half-staff, IMO.

Right  ---------- you would do what ever "they told" you because your sheeple.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

If you say so. You know everything, after all. Just ask yourself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I see good arguments being made on both sides of the issue.

If you do lower your flag to half mast, the flag is to come down slower than it goes up. IIRC, it is supposed to go up "briskly". At any rate, when it is done being flown at half mast, it comes all the way down, then back up.

the flag nazi
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Right  ---------- you would do what ever "they told" you because your you're sheeple.

I would because I respect the office of the President, no matter who fills it.

And Cyanide, if you're going to insult people, you should at least get your grammar right.  Not that it makes you look like any less of a fool in this thread.

We all know you hate Bush.  You've made it no secret.  The fact that you're this petty over the tragic loss of human life is appalling, but not exactly surprising coming from you.  We lost 3,000 people in 9/11, and the world mourned with us.  But I guess those who perished in India, Sri Lanka, and the other places affected by this disaster are less than human in your eyes.  That is truly pathetic.

We set the example for the world, and I can only wonder what example you would set since human decency and civility are obviously not your strong suit.

Remember the Alamo, and God bless Texas...
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Half Mast Rules

I choose civil disobedience this time.

using rule #5 shouldnt it have been flow at half mast for the last few days?  (On the day of and the day after the death of a member of Congress.)
For Matsui (he died on the 2nd and that would mean flags have mast on the 2nd and the 3rd) and then does this apply to FORMER members of congress? Because Shirley Chisholm died saturday ( the 1st and the 2nd in her case)
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
First you douchebags get irate at the thought of your tax dollars going to them, now you can't even cop to what is the equivelent of a national moment of silence.

Man, since many a village over there has lost its idiot, perhaps we can send some of y'all over to help replenish that stock.

If they say half mast, and if I had put my flag up, it would have been half mast (pouring rain here)
BUT, doesnt mean I will do it happily......I think we have an obligation to show our own country men respect by a half mast flag BEFORE we half mast it for tragedies in other countries....we have had 2 rather influential congressmen die in the last few days and countless soliders...where is their respect?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I refuse to lower the Flag at my Dept, they can write me up but I will not.  Let the other Muslim countries take care of them!!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I refuse to lower the Flag at my Dept, they can write me up but I will not.  Let the other Muslim countries take care of them!!!!

Good for you .............. you got guts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

nah...nothing to do with sheeple...has to do with the "rules" of the flag....the rules of conduct and respect of the flag state simply that we honor what the president says...doesnt mean I agree...(i dont) just means I woulud be respecting the flag
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I put my flag at half mast earlier today.  I recommend to others to do so to.  If you feel that you shouldn't because of personal or philosophical reasons, I support you also.  The least you can do is to respect the rights of your fellow Americans to make their political statements however they choose.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I put my flag at half mast earlier today.  I recommend to others to do so to.  If you feel that you shouldn't because of personal or philosophical reasons, I support you also.  The least you can do is to respect the rights of your fellow Americans to make their political statements however they choose.

Well said ------------  very well said.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Most compasionate and clear thinking Americans would be behind the president on this decision. If half of you ruled this country we would be islolated with no allies and Americas future would be hanging by a thread.

Support and compassion in times like these speaks volumes about Americans. Hate and greed never win any battles.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Which muslim country?  

Sri Lanka is 70% Buddhist, 15% Hindu, 8% Christian, and 7% Mulsim.
India is 81% Hindu, and they really hate Muslims.
Thailand is 95% Buddhist.
Indonesia and the Maldives are Muslim, but this affects more than just them.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said ------------  very well said.

I accept your appology and allow you back into the Heman Woman Haters Club.  Don't grovel and prostrate yourself at my feet!  It doesn't enhance your reputation at all!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oz is not Sri-lanka.

But it still is not the US.  Alot of people have stated that they would not lower their flags for people who are not their own countrymen.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:38:35 AM EDT
[#39]
I could not get it any higher

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/141064/IMG_1061.JPG

Good for you! Thanks for sharing.  

Isn't that nice!  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Personally (and I've said this before), I don't think we should EVER lower our flag to half mast, while we are at war.

Think about it, if the enemy nuked a carrier group, killing Thousands of our troops, should we lower our flag?

If a terrorist killed half of Congress, should we lower our flag?

I say no.

As far as the Tsunami victims go...

I have no problem with it, other than the fact that we are at War.
That some of the victims are Muslims is only a factor, if you are an idiot.  Several of my Marines are Muslim (...and Hindu, and Shinto, etc.).  What difference does it make?
If the Victims were British, would it be Okay?
How about if they were Americans?

Lowering the flag is like the Nation tipping its hat.
It's merely a polite formality.
If you think it demeans veterans, then you really don't know what it means.

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Personally (and I've said this before), I don't think we should EVER lower our flag to half mast, while we are at war.

Think about it, if the enemy nuked a carrier group, killing Thousands of our troops, should we lower our flag?

I say no.

Bloody hell! I would!

Or are you worried about showing a "weakness" in war? (Honest question. Not being a wiseass.)
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I say no.

Bloody hell! I would!

Or are you worried about showing a "weakness" in war? (Honest question. Not being a wiseass.)

If an enemy, during war, succeeds in an attack...

...do you lower your flag?

I say no.

No fucking way.

You plant it in their front yard.
Or through their chest.
But it stays high.

(Iwo Jima)

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:43:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that nice!  

I suppose that your trailer park has it's flag at half mast ???
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Mine ain't coming down.  Fuck them.

+150,000
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Ok guys how about considering this. I am willing to bet that there are unacknowledgeed deaths of american service men in these countries or some of them who are fighting the war on terror in places like indonesia. We all know that if they were there, it is going to be classified until judgement day. May any who died, rest in peace and i hope that their families are comforted in the thought that their loved one died in the service of their country. Even if they never find out when how or why. slugs out
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that nice!  

Is that your idea of an insult?

Run out of sexist things to say?  

Come on, I'm sure you can come up with much better material to "insult" me with.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that nice!  

Come on, I'm sure you can come up with much better material to "insult" me with.  

+1 and dont worry I am sure something completly fkn stupid is about to be said.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that nice!  

You must have me confused with someone else ---------

I don't ever remember making a sexist comment or remark to you ...

that must have been wishful thinking....

In fact I remember ignoring sexist remarks made by yourself

I quote  you :

Do you have vagina envy? I notice you like bringing them up whenever you don't have anything inteligent to say. I hear there's an operation that can fix that
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:05:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I don't ever remember making a sexist comment or remark to you ...

Usually, a gentleman can be confident about such things....

You on the other hand, are unsure.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top