BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These are nothing to screw with.  They will attack enmass and can be lethal.  I was hit by about 50 of them and went into anaphalatic shock.  Only the fast action of the local emt squad saved me.  Wait until dark and pour about a pint of gasoline down the hole - no need to light it.
View Quote

My dad almost died this way. Stepped on a log while evaluating a piece of property- it collapsed and they went berserk

Long story short, GTFO ASAP if you can.

Best way to deal with bees is to not deal with them. You don't negotiate with terrorists.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I stepped on a nest of those fuckers in 2002 while golfing. Damn near killed me. Thank God for paramedics. Be careful OP.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Been posted a million times, but some refuse to take the easy way.

Buy malathion at Home Depot.
Mix malathion concentrate and water in a gallon milk jug according to the instructions on the bottle.
Wait until dark when the bees are all in the nest and inactive
Pour contents of jug in hole and leave jug upside down overnight over the hole.
Remove jug the next day, and bees are gone / completely destroyed.  No chance of being stung, etc.....
Easy and extremely effective.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#6]
So the mechanism of death for the bees under the dome is what?  Overheating, starvation, dehydration, cannibalism, or just plain killing each other for fun?  What kind of carnage should we expect to observe under this dome o death?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So the mechanism of death for the bees under the dome is what?  Overheating, starvation, dehydration, cannibalism, or just plain killing each other for fun?  What kind of carnage should we expect to observe under this dome o death?
View Quote
2 bees enter.  1 bee leaves.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ground nesting paper wasps.  Not bees, these are hunters as the hive is a nursery.

Go ahead and kill them all.  I've run acetylene through activated carbon to deodorize it, carefully filling the nest cavity with this gas.  Used an electric initiator once the gas tube is removed.

This is an earth-shattering kaboom, completely destroying the hive.

View Quote

Next time you use this method, please record it. I have to see this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#13]
These are supposed to work remarkably well:

Or you can try these:

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Dont dick around, just gasoline 'em.

When I was a teenager a giant nest started by one of our cattle gates - you know, the pit dug with the grating over it. Everytime we went over it they came out like a smoke bomb; the little mf's stung everybody.

I waited until dark and poured about 2 gallons of gasoline in the hole and set around a while. Little did I know the fumes sorta oozed along the ground and filled up that cattle gate pit. I lit a match and the hole blew out like a cannon, and the gas fumes in the cattle gate pit went off like a bomb, blowing weeds, toads and debris in the air with a small mushroom cloud. My old grandma came running out and yelled "what the heck was that?"....

Another time we tied the horses up next to a spring and were laying around and the horses started stomping a little at first. Then they went ape and tore out in a cloud of yellowjackets. They ate my cousin alive they crawled down and stung him around the belt line of his pants...

Dont mess around - my old uncle (RIP) would go into shock when he got stung... No laughing matter to some...
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dont dick around, just gasoline 'em.

When I was a teenager a giant nest started by one of our cattle gates - you know, the pit dug with the grating over it. Everytime we went over it they came out like a smoke bomb; the little mf's stung everybody.

I waited until dark and poured about 2 gallons of gasoline in the hole and set around a while. Little did I know the fumes sorta oozed along the ground and filled up that cattle gate pit. I lit a match and the hole blew out like a cannon, and the gas fumes in the cattle gate pit went off like a bomb, blowing weeds, toads and debris in the air with a small mushroom cloud. My old grandma came running out and yelled "what the heck was that?"....

Another time we tied the horses up next to a spring and were laying around and the horses started stomping a little at first. Then they went ape and tore out in a cloud of yellowjackets. They ate my cousin alive they crawled down and stung him around the belt line of his pants...

Dont mess around - my old uncle (RIP) would go into shock when he got stung... No laughing matter to some...
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Plenty of diesel and a torch FTW!!!

View Quote

This, and it seems to get a better burn then gasoline
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like the Air bees are males.    

Yellow Jacket
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That girl must be a non-student model they used to lure freshman to Tech. Never saw a cheerleader that hot in my 5 years there let alone a member of the female student body.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#19]

CHOPPAH GONNA CHOP!!!!

Quoted:
Haha!! That was freaking great!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always wait for night fall when they are all in the hive and then strike off a road flare and shove it down their hole. The crackling is rewarding.

The last nest I found was discovered while I was pushmowing. They stung me 4 or 5 times before i realized what was happening. I came back, dropped the mower down low over their hole and mulched them for a while. I then stomped their hole in. It actually worked, I never saw them again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

http://youtu.be/XXec7zBaPxA
Haha!! That was freaking great!!  

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I stepped on a yellow jacket nest on my pistol range and got stung on the shin.
I then emptied my .22 pistol into the nest.
When they came swarming out, I retreated back to my truck and got reinforcements.

Loaded the 12 gauge with birdshot and came back to the nest.
Fired a shot into the entrance and then blasted all the yellow jackets that flew out until the shotgun was empty.
Retreat, reload, and repeat.
Several times.

"We fired our guns and the wasps kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
 We fired some more and they kept a dying,
 Back to hell as they fell into the hole."
        - from The Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton

Finally, not so many came out.
Changed out the shotgun for the .30 cal for more penetration..
Blasted the hole, collapsing the nest.
Never saw another yellow jacket there.

Lots more expensive than using wasp spray, but way more satisfying.
View Quote

You are my hero.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Today's update. There were a few escapees because I didn't get the bowl centered and seated well enough due to all the plant roots and crap. I dispatched them individually. I hope I didn't bother the entrance too much in the process of jamming some dirt under with my toe to bring it up as I haven't seen much increase in activity since. If so, hopefully they will come back up inside or I will have to use a backup bowl for the new hole. Still, it is just a question of when and where, not if.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Again, I'm not pouring a gallon of toxic anything in one place directly above my actual drinking water. This is safe, and usually as easy as it gets unles you screw it up a bit like I did this AM.

Quoted:
View Quote

Last time the entire thing filled up basically to the top with a mass of writhing "ground bees" all dead dying and decaying over a period of maybe 6 weeks. It was a bit less volume than this one though. I'm not sure what resource lack might be the worst (seems they would get moisture down there when the hose leaks or it rains), build up of co2, etc..
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
So, you think they cannot dig?        

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So, you think they cannot dig?          
View Quote

They are too stupid to dig when they are already out and can see through the glass - they just fly up to the top. It is really strange, and I didn't believe it, but it works and I have done it.

ETA: If I accidentally blocked their hole though, no telling where they will dig out. I think they are coming out in the glass again now though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I stepped on a nest of those fuckers in 2002 while golfing. Damn near killed me. Thank God for paramedics. Be careful OP.
View Quote

Your username says you are telling the truth.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 1:45:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. It all checks out.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Those can be real aggresive  When I brush hog, I seem to always find a huge nest.  The Skunks love to dig them up and eat them when they find a nest.  From scene the skunk leaves behind, those nests can be huge.

Had a neighbor in one of those "Watch this" moments use a 1/2 gallon of gas down a hole and throw a match at it.  The vapor ignited about 1 foot away from his hand and everything singed including his hair!  Lots of bees or whatever they are chared and on the ground after the big "wush" of flame.  Sadly - they were back in force a few days later and really PO'd   If your going to burn em out - You gotta go big
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Those can be real aggresive  When I brush hog, I seem to always find a huge nest.  The Skunks love to dig them up and eat them when they find a nest.  From scene the skunk leaves behind, those nests can be huge.

Had a neighbor in one of those "Watch this" moments use a 1/2 gallon of gas down a hole and throw a match at it.  The vapor ignited about 1 foot away from his hand and everything singed including his hair!  Lots of bees or whatever they are chared and on the ground after the big "wush" of flame.  Sadly - they were back in force a few days later and really PO'd   If your going to burn em out - You gotta go big
View Quote

I've burned the shit outta some yellowjackets before, never seemed to have a problem.  Except when flames erupt from all the various secret entrances that you're inadvertently standing in the middle of.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Kill them! Kill them! Kill them!
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#30]
sprinkle some orthene powder around that entry/exit hole and every wasp in there will be dead in 48 hours.

eta: nm, i see you are going non-chemical

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yep. It all checks out.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. It all checks out.  

Indeed I am. Tough way to find out you are allergic I've got a bunch of epi pens now. And it bears repeating, thank God for paramedics.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Folks I think this is going to be a huge let down. They must have just been starting this nest and had no reinforcements. I have no new ones in the bowl, and the ones in there have died already.

I think it is done. I'll report back if they re-emerge. You'll have to take my word it still would have worked if it was a huge nest, and the pile up would have been impressive. I wish I had taken some pics last time.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Folks I think this is going to be a huge let down. They must have just been starting this nest and had no reinforcements. I have no new ones in the bowl, and the ones in there have died already.

I think it is done. I'll report back if they re-emerge. You'll have to take my word it still would have worked if it was a huge nest, and the pile up would have been impressive. I wish I had taken some pics last time.

View Quote

OP, I am dissapoint.

I had a pretty serious Yellow Jacket run in as a kid. Wanted more carnage.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Now you have to go out and find another, more better, yellowjacket nest with which to entertain us.  Or else.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Now you have to go out and find another, more better, yellowjacket nest with which to entertain us.  Or else.
View Quote
If OP receives a mysterious box that is somewhat warm and makes a strange buzzing noise when shaken, he should probably open it in the bathroom with the door shut, not in the living room.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If OP receives a mysterious box that is somewhat warm and makes a strange buzzing noise when shaken, he should probably open it in the bathroom with the door shut, not in the living room.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is the curse of the box/safe thread for sure if there is nothing more in there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#37]
One I fired a nest and there was about a dozen different entrances to the nest. some of them several feet from the hole I found.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Should have used a shop vac to suck the stubborn ones out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Most ground nests I have seen have only one entrance.  But if the nest gets bigger, usually latter in the season or if you fuck with their main entrance but don't kill them off they will make multiple entrances.  So when you bend over to do the glass bowl trick like the OP did, you get stung in the ass from bees coming from another entrance.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top