BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hello, my name is garandman, and I am a gun snob.

Gun snobbery, like other addictions, can be cured.

I have a great variety of guns, some good, some better, some the best.

I am a non-discriminator with regards to guns.

Of course, with Col. Whelens limitation;  "Only accurate rifles are interesting."

I've tried.

Makarovs, C&R rifles, Rugers, nothing seems to work
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
homepage.uab.edu/beetle/makarov ankle.JPG

homepage.uab.edu/beetle/packing.JPG

My Mak is a great, reliable little piece that I never feel unsafe with.  And it's all metal!

The real question is: Did you walk 2,100 miles of the Appalation Trail with the Mac?

That would be a negative.  More like, three miles
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Great thread! It is good to hear good things about a mak for once.

Good source of bullets for reloading?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a russian made IMEZ with the double stack magazine that holds 10 rds, I like the wider grip vs the single stack. Shoots nice and very accurate.

J
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Great thread! It is good to hear good things about a mak for once.

Good source of bullets for reloading?

I found the lead RN bullets at a gun show.  They are made by National Bullet Co., 1585 E. 361 st ST, Eastlake, Ohio, 44095.

Don't know if they still make them.

For hotter loads, I use Sierra bullets marked, "9MM Makarov(.363 dia.), for 9 X 18 Makarov, 95 grain JHP, #8200".

They are good bullets.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been a Mak fan for years!

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had a Mak just like the Russian one you got there, my dad threw it away.

Jeezmo flip, your dad did WHAT?!?!?!!

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one. It's my primary carry pistol in the summer. I switch to 45 ACP in winter.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I can't remember for sure which MAK the gun's owner told me to get.
He said some have adjustable rear sights like his did, and some don't.

Sorry I missed your question, HermanSnerd.

I might be mistaken, but I believe that the Russian Maks are the only ones with adjustable sights.  Not that that is a big problem, though.

The other Maks that I have shot, shot to point of aim with fixed sights.  That's all that matters.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taxman's dad has issues........

A whole series of threads on it a while back.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know... I shot with Taxman when I lived in GA.  Still, I am constantly amazed at the asshat things that man has done...

A perfectly lovely Russian Makarov...  *sniff*
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know... I shot with Taxman when I lived in GA.  Still, I am constantly amazed at the asshat things that man has done...

I really liked that one, since I got it for $150 at the Augusta gunshow.  It was in a box, after he "helped me out" by cleaning, my Mak was gone, along with the box it was in, 5 mags for it, and a bag full of pre-64 silver half dollars.  He still wonders why Im pissed at him.

I like the sites on that one more then my Bulgy one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Damnit, OP... now I want a Makarov.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No Mak lovers here?

You got a Mak lover right here! I have three of them, one rests permanently in my nightstand for things that go bump in the night.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Russian IJ-70 owner here.  Love it!  

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Russian IJ-70 owner here.  Love it!  

groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgD7AjkY0N*dDdeXqJEH5H5497wA*CQFFsWJ1Kpc2ld!3teCzgNffgSLsxZd!vsE9KoCTY65MY6R70UCbD9PcV7IPmZGjn61ZIUlpjFu9Lck0e6JEcadVw/Makarov.jpg?dc=4675554033201486144

Nice. That the hi-cap one?

Are they making a 13-rounder like the Sphinx gun? I'd do a .380 if I didn't have to worry too much about a reload.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My work here is done.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My work here is done.

I hope not!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Nice. That the hi-cap one?

Are they making a 13-rounder like the Sphinx gun? I'd do a .380 if I didn't have to worry too much about a reload.

No, it is the standard single-stack.  I bought it in the mid to late 90's when they were cheap.  I wish I had jumped on the Bulgarians when they were plentiful.      
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really liked that one, since I got it for $150 at the Augusta gunshow.  It was in a box, after he "helped me out" by cleaning, my Mak was gone, along with the box it was in, 5 mags for it, and a bag full of pre-64 silver half dollars.  He still wonders why Im pissed at him.

I like the sites on that one more then my Bulgy one.

I remember when you got it.  

Seeeee, I told you you should have given it to me!  At least you would have still had visitation, Litttle Bro!

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#21]
This was last January, when I only had one pistol and one rifle...

My Bulgarian Makarov, all snuggled up on my bed with my Ruger 10/22, 40th Anniversary Edition.

Such a lovely family portrait...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've tried.

Makarovs, C&R rifles, Rugers, nothing seems to work

I am quite fond of my Ruger MKII.

Aside from that, if it goes bang and is a decently made weapon, I am probably interested in it.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This was last January, when I only had one pistol and one rifle...

My Bulgarian Makarov, all snuggled up on my bed with my Ruger 10/22, 40th Anniversary Edition.

Such a lovely family portrait...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/Makarov_Mami/d15a818f.jpg

So where's the wheelbarrow??
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's my East German Earnst Thaelman PM.

1964, one year older than me!

My pistol calibers of choice: .22LR, 9X18, .45 ACP
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Schulze carries a Mak with Silver Bear 115 grain hp's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/AyeGuy/mak.jpg

A very nice one.

I am looking for another one just like it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/AyeGuy/mak.jpg

A very nice one.

I am looking for another one just like it.

Old_Person uhh, Painless, does anybody make a Mak in high-cap? There's a fellow named Wildman that keeps showing up at the gunshows with a Sphinx .380, 13-rnd mags. Looks like it has 100 rounds through it. It's awfully pricy at $425, but I'll bet I can talk him down a hundo or so.

Those are the same gun, right, or similar?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Old_Person uhh, Painless, does anybody make a Mak in high-cap? There's a fellow named Wildman that keeps showing up at the gunshows with a Sphinx .380, 13-rnd mags. Looks like it has 100 rounds through it. It's awfully pricy at $425, but I'll bet I can talk him down a hundo or so.

I am not familiar with Sphinx pistols and cannot give an opinion.

I will tell you that while this type if pistol is a nice one to have and shoot, I'd never pay $425 or even $325 for one.

They are available for much less.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:49:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Samsong, the Russian made and marketed a civilian version of the Mak w/ adj. sights and a double stack mag.  I have seen them for not much more than $200 at shows around here.  I would steer clear of anything "mak like" that wasn't milsurp or russian made.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
No Mak lovers here?

Mine was a lemon, the accuracy (which I had read was very good) turned out to be abysmal with the Bulgarian that I bought.  I am not a poor shot, and I was having bad results at 7 yards, missing the paper frequently at 25!  I think it might be because the first time I used it, I got a squib, and then fired another one right behind it.  It felt like a .44 when that happened.

Then reading all the stuff about the weakness of the 9mm, and the small sights also started making me think I had made a bad choice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:04:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
No Mak lovers here?

Not here. I have one, never shot it. However, someone had one at the range a couple weeks ago, and I shot it-- didn't like it much. Want to buy another ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Mak lovers here?

Mine was a lemon, the accuracy (which I had read was very good) turned out to be abysmal with the Bulgarian that I bought.  I am not a poor shot, and I was having bad results at 7 yards, missing the paper frequently at 25!  I think it might be because the first time I used it, I got a squib, and then fired another one right behind it.  It felt like a .44 when that happened.

Then reading all the stuff about the weakness of the 9mm, and the small sights also started making me think I had made a bad choice.

So, let me get this straight.....

You had a squib load and shot another round with a bullet stuck in the barrel.  Then you find the pistol "abysmal" in accuracy?  

Well, no wonder.  You probably ruined the barrel.  The fact that the pistol didn't blow up in your hand speaks volumns about its quality.

Never.....never, follow a "squib" shot with another shot, without disassemblying the pistol and making sure the barrel in unobstructed.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Mak lovers here?

Not here. I have one, never shot it. However, someone had one at the range a couple weeks ago, and I shot it-- didn't like it much. Want to buy another ?

Hey, don't be dissin' my Mak!!!!!!
M_Mmikejohnson
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Great post, O_P.

I have a Bulgarian Mak that's been the most reliable semiauto handgun I've ever owned.  The only malf in about 500 rounds was a single failure of the slide to lock back after the magazine was empty.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Mak lovers here?

M_Mmikejohnson

Hey! I didn't diss' yo' Mak... I said I didn't like it much. The gun does not fit me, remember?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Mak lovers here?

M_Mmikejohnson

Hey! I didn't diss' yo' Mak... I said I didn't like it much. The gun does not fit me, remember?

OK, OK...

So, is yours Russian or Bulgie?  (I may have to plan a rescue mission to save it from a lifetime of neglect...)
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Mak lovers here?

Like O_P said, you likely messed up the barrel on that one.  I've read a lot at www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3.  Unless the crown is damaged or there is something else seriously wrong with the pistol your experience is very atypical.

Also, O_P, we can't forget the Glock 18 of the 9X18 Mak world:  

Stechkin APS pistol (USSR/Russia)

APS with attached holster-buttstock

Stechkin APS - cut-out diagram

Type Double action, select-fire
Caliber 9x18 mm PM
Overall length 225 mm
Weight: 1020 g with empty magazine; 1220 g loaded with 20 rounds
Barrel length 140 mm
Magazine capacity 20 rounds
Rate of fire 600 rounds per minute

The development of the selective fire, large military pistols, intended for military personnel as a personal defense weapon, was started in USSR in the late 1920s, but eventually lead to no success. But, after the end of 2nd World war, this idea was resurrected and, with the introduction of the new 9mm cartridge Soviet Army requested for a large, semiautomatic pistol, capable of controllable full automatic fire and fitted with detachable shoulder stock. Such weapon, designed by the Igor Stechkin in Tula was adopted by Soviet Army in 1951, along with the Makarov PM pistol in the same caliber. New pistol, designated as the "APS - Automaticheskij Pistolet Stechkina" (Stechkin Automatic Pistol), was issued to artillery, tank and armored carrier crews, RPG-7 carriers in the infantry, front line officers. But it soon was discovered that the APS, with its bulky and heavy holster / shoulder stock, is awkward to carry, and lacks the power for a military weapon, so it was gradually removed from army service and put in reserve storage. During the 1970s, however, small quantities of existing APS pistols were fitted with new, extended barrels, with threaded muzzle parts. These pistols, designated APSB, were intended for SpetsNaz use and issued with quick-detachable silencers and detachable wire shoulder stocks.

During the turbulent 1990s, the APS found its second life in the hands of various special Russian Law Enforcement teams, such as OMON, SOBR, various VIP security and hostage rescue teams. APS offered much better accuracy and larger capacity, than the general-issue Makarov PM pistol. APS also capable of very good rapid-fire accuracy in semi-automatic mode, as well as full automatic fire for emergency close-quarter situations. At the present time, regardless of advent of more modern and powerful pistols, like the Yarygin PYa or GSh-18, the APS still well regarded by Russian law enforcement, because of readily available and inexpensive 9x18 mm ammunition, good accuracy and low recoil. Now it is often carried in various open-top "combat" holsters, instead of its original clumsy and heavy holster / shoulder stock.

The APS is a simple blowback pistol, of al steel construction, with external hammer and a double action trigger. A three-position safety lever, located on the slide, also acts as fire mode selector, allowing for single-shot or full automatic fire. To slow the rate of fire down to controllable 600 rounds per minute, APS featured a plunger-type fire rate reducer, located in the grip. return spring is located around the barrel. Front sight is fixed to the slide, rear sight is adjustable for range, with settings for 25, 50 and optimistic 100 and 200 meters. To further improve the long range and full automatic mode accuracy, a shoulder stock / holster can be attached to the grip. early holsters / stocks were made from wood, latter - from brow plastic.

--

I don't care which one I'd get, G18 or a Stechkin.  As long as I'd have spare parts and a bunch of mags I'd be happy.  (I'd still like a Bizon SMG too.)

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
So, is yours Russian or Bulgie?  (I may have to plan a rescue mission to save it from a lifetime of neglect...)

How do I tell?? which is better...? its that one

remind me to bring it to the shoot next weekend.

btw-- I want to sell it as a complete set, but I may have a buyer for the extra barrel, press, and heavy fake suppressor...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#39]
update: MM-- I just checked. Its Russian made. Looks to be brand new, except for some shaved areas on the bottom of the plastic grips. Looks like something was removed. Anyway, it appears to be a bit different than yours, and actually has a very good trigger...

Where can I get good cheap ammo for this thing? MH is next week-- what brand to look for? what price range?

I will shoot it at Tom Bean and see how I like it...

ETA: the pics from the first post look very similar. However, the markings you see at the bottom of the grips on the pictures below, have been shaved...

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I have some ammo you can play with next weekend, if you'd like...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

cool... maybe we can put the other bbl on it too...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

There is such an animal as high cap Makarov pistols that come with doublestack magazines. The only ones I have seen are Russian made.

In fact, there is one for sale on Gunbroker right now:

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42074103
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cool... maybe we can put the other bbl on it too...

If you decide you don't like it, I could possibly take it off your hands. You're in Texas, right?

On the subject of high-cap Makarov pistols, the CZ-82 uses 13-rnd magazines.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I have not seen a Sphinx in years but they are only simliar to a MAK in that they are blowback
The last Sphinx i saw was DAO They are nice high quality 380s but for  about the same money you can get a walther or a P230 which i think are better guns that  are much easier   to get holsters, magazines ETC for
or better yet get a MAK of some sort for under $200
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#45]
BTT
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top