ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=256926
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...That evening I drive into camp with an 8 point buck
Wha-you shoot that with.
The AR

That’s un-sportsman like
One shot in the neck.  Killed him where he stood.

Yea well it’s still wrong.

You shot the buck or the nimrod???
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I've only ever gotten one and it was by a guy at work. I told him I had to take my father's guns after he was convicted of a felony DUI (that's another story, but to make a long story short, it was a felony because he had no license at the time). He was all like "you have guns??? I feel safer already" To which I told him in addition to those, I owned evil black rifle and pistol too and that he should feel safe! He kinda shrugged it off. That's only the real negative comment besides my boss at my last job who was a Vietnam vet that had shot 5.56 ammo out of his captured AK47. He asked that stupidass question, why does anybody need one of those? I just like to use the car analogy on people like that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My Dad called me a skinhead.

Your avitar is disturbing.

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Do I ever get a negative reaction?

I live in Britain and every time I get my AR out on a range 95% people absofuckinlutely freak!!! Scares the shit out of them! You would think I was standing there with my wiener out the looks of hatred and fear that gun gets.

The other 5% hang around with their tongues out asking to have a go.

Usual comment is, "that gun gives shooters a bad image", or that other favourite, "only cowboys would want a gun like THAT".  I am the only AR15 owner within 20 miles! Yep population of 250,000 and ONE AR15…

Most shooting here in Britain is ISU .22, 10 shots in 30 minutes. So you can imagine the reaction sticking up a couple of NATO fig 11 Targets and rapid fire gets

The Evil gun of fear and loathing itself

Andy
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I am the only AR15 owner within 20 miles! Yep population of 250,000 and ONE AR15…

Andy

No wonder, crime rate in Brittian goes through the roof.

It gets worse, population of Britain, @61,000,000 and NO LEGAL HANDGUNS

Andy
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
[It gets worse, population of Britain, @61,000,000 and NO LEGAL HANDGUNS
Andy

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Eh, can't really say I do.. the last seriously negative reaction I saw to a black rifle was in 1984 in Oklahoma. Come to think of it, the only recent mildly negative reaction I have had to a black rifle was in Oklahoma as well - I got the "What do you shoot with that?" question to which I responded "Anything I want." and then explained that it was mostly for target shooting and competition.

Most of the places I shoot locally an AR15 is about as rare as 100F days during the Texas summer, so they don't really stir up too much trouble. I've gotten some strange looks at Backwoods TRAP before; but no comments.

Most of the time the people I meet are just curious. Rather than try and justify or explain my purpose, I usually just give them a 30rd magazine and let them go to town. That not only wins converts consistently but pretty quickly as well. Last guy I let fire my rifle, I went to check out and he was at the range office handling one of the ARs for sale and plunking down cash.

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I am the only AR15 owner within 20 miles! Yep population of 250,000 and ONE AR15…

Andy

Andy

Andy.  I'm glad you have one to defend yourself and loved ones.

If you'll read about what happens to folk in Britain who defend themselves, you'll realize that his AR isn't all that a hot idea. I imagine he has to keep it in a safe at a range? I thought they had to.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]
"its cool, but what do you need one of those for"

I usually just tell them that I like making noise and since it is still legal to own, I will.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andy

Andy

Andy.  I'm glad you have one to defend yourself and loved ones.

Yeah, except he can fully expect to go to jail for a good long time if he ever does. Won't matter how justified it was. Not that it isn't worth it to save your families butts, but it's utterly unfair.  You guys in GBR have an almost upside down legal system to live under, I sure wish there was a way to turn it around.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#14]
One time I remember when there wasn't any money in the food budget.  We were skipping lunches and dinner a few days that week.  One evening I was cleaning several of my ARs and stacking ammunition when I looked up and saw my entire family just looking at me...  
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Every one who sees mine loves it, I am in CA and got a few before SB23 also.  When I show up at the range  comotion  also.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Oh, you will also get:

"Whatcha doin?  Huntin' for bin Laden?"  Yes, if he presents a target.

"You practicin' to kill terrorists?"Yes.

"You one of them militia types?"Yes, interested in joining?

"You don't hunt with that, do you?"Yes, varmits of all kinds.

"Whatcha shoot with that?"Whatever presents a valid target.

"You gettin' ready for WWIII?"Yes

This is usually in late October.  The hicks are dusting off their .270 bolt actions, firing a few shots (usually no more than half a dozen rounds) from the half box of ammo left over from last hunting season, and pack it back in the car, ready to go for deer season.

Best is just to not talk to these clowns.

Edited to add:

I forgot, numero uno, "You converted that thing to full auto?  I heard all you gotta do, you just file down the sear." That would be illegal.  

At my gun reange, I belive that there are more Class III and "assault weapon" owners than not. Nearly every trip I see at least a few AR15's, some M1A's, and perhaps an AR10.  

I've seen M60's, F/A Glocks, MP-5s, M16s, M1919's, Sten Guns, MP40's, Barrett .50's, FNC's, Robinson Expeditionary Rifle, and all manner of suppressors.  Not to mention the guys with the full-house race guns for the bowling pin shoots.  

Idaho is nice.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Do I ever get a negative reaction?

I live in Britain and every time I get my AR out on a range 95% people absofuckinlutely freak!!! Scares the shit out of them! You would think I was standing there with my wiener out the looks of hatred and fear that gun gets.

The other 5% hang around with their tongues out asking to have a go.

Usual comment is, "that gun gives shooters a bad image", or that other favourite, "only cowboys would want a gun like THAT".  I am the only AR15 owner within 20 miles! Yep population of 250,000 and ONE AR15…

Most shooting here in Britain is ISU .22, 10 shots in 30 minutes. So you can imagine the reaction sticking up a couple of NATO fig 11 Targets and rapid fire gets

img43.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/DSC01891.jpg
The Evil gun of fear and loathing itself

Andy

How did you manage this?  I thought centerfire semi-auto rifles were illegal in Britain?
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had a couple here and there.
"jesus christ is that legal?"

" What the hell do you NEED that for?"

" why do you need a machine gun?"

and my favorite one i heard at a gun show of all places...
" You must be going to Iraq  with that "..

I just smile and stroke her softly.

J
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I dont own a AR-15. Im only 14. Every time that i go up North to NJ my relitives always question me of why i would need guns and tell me to buy meat in a store and guns kill people.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What do you need a gun like that for?  
I get that one a lot.

I just tell them that I own the evil black rifles to protect myself from idiots like them who want to take away all the other guns I have.

I own these other guns for fun and to protect myself, and then I own this special, evil gun to protect those other guns from concfiscation.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#21]
it was quite awhile ago, i think i had an AK.  i said 'I don't need it, it's fun to shoot.  wanna try?'  predictable results followed.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Well,I pretty much get ALL negative responses to my AR15.The only people who like it are 4 or 5 of my friends.Some of the people say"That thing is stupid" and"you cant hunt with that thing"and"What do shoot with that",and I say that you can hunt but some people at school are just stupid.And I brought a picture to school and they is like"You cant have a 30 round clip."My friend that did shoot it loved it.We blew up milk jugs.Now I'm saving up for my M4 and he says im stupid cause im wasting my money but he says he wants to shoot it after I get it.Seems nobody has EVIL rifles in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Just one, everyone else asked for thier homepage. I think I might have sold a few.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#24]
In California with my preban Bushy at the local bullet trap:

<rangemaster>  Hi, friend.

<me> Hello

<rangemaster>  Nice rifle.  Where did you get those 30rd mags?

<me> Bought em.

<rangemaster>  You know those are illegal.  Also your rifle cannot have the collapsable stock in CA.

<me> Thanks, I know...It is a preban rifle.

<rangemaster>  When did you buy it?

<me> I don't want to be rude sir, but you are interfering with my shooting and I have a crime spree to train for.  Please save your questions for the cold line or at least start sweeping up my brass.  Have a nice day.  

<rangemaster walks away grinning>

Maybe it's because I look young, but DAMN!  
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#25]
It's not the Bill of Needs.  It's the Bill of Rights.....
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you manage this?  I thought centerfire semi-auto rifles were illegal in Britain?

Yep all Centerfires are banned now… bastards!,  but mines been fitted with a US Army M261 Bolt assembly, so it shoots .22LR and is still legal, but other than that its Mr Bushmasters finest AR15A2 and now has a CompM fitted.  I've also got a .357 Marlin 1894c

Andy
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I have had the predictable "You know you can't hunt with that right".  I just tell them it isn't a problem since I hardly ever hunt.

When I was younger, my mother said something about it, because she was concerned that I had a thing for guns. My EX-Stepfather was pretty nervous about it as well, with good reason, as he is a wifebeating POS who will not likly survive his next encounter with me.

Everybody else seems to think they are pretty cool though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep all Centerfires are banned now… bastards!,  but mines been fitted with a US Army M261 Bolt assembly, so it shoots .22LR and is still legal, but other than that its Mr Bushmasters finest AR15A2 and now has a CompM fitted.  I've also got a .357 Marlin 1894c

Andy

hey Vito, what else can you own over there on that side of the pond firearms-wise?
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#29]
My buddy dug it out of my closet and the girl he brought over asked if I was a murderer.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andy

WAY TOO GO

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#32]
In rural Arizona?

Not a chance.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#33]
During the DC sniper incident, I had a co-worker ask me if I had a AR-15 because local LE agencies were asking the public to report anybody they knew that might have this type of rifle.

I told my co-worker, No I don't have one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#34]
"During the DC sniper incident, I had a co-worker ask me if I had a AR-15 because local LE agencies were asking the public to report anybody they knew that might have this type of rifle."

THAT is dangerous!

During that period, I wonder how many people, when Johnny Law came to the door to request their AR-15's to be turned over for testing just said, "Get a warrant.  Have a nice day"?
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Only the fact that they tend to empty my wallet.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#36]
When I showed my Retired USAF uncle my first Bushy 16", he was oh, you got yourself an M16???  My aunt (keep in mind, they both grew up in NYC, it's the family homeland...) asked my "My God! What do you have that for?!?!?!"

My answer... simple.

Shooting People

Sorry, that's what I got it for
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#37]
For years my Buddy Kevin had a stainless Mini-14 , along with his stainless Redhawk, we thought  his Mini was
extra cool.  We went camping in the local National forrest. He took my AR and put the EO-Tech dot on 1/4 plate spinner target
he welded for the trip, pulled the trigger and hit the 6" red circle at 225 meters and said" might as well throw this Fucking Mini in the trash'.  He's sold.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Why buy a Mini-14 when you can have the "real deal"?
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I told one of my coworkers that I had an AR15 today and she said that if there is a war she is coming to my house.

I took a look at her storebought titties and said a prayer for war
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I told one of my coworkers that I had an AR15 today and she said that if there is a war she is coming to my house.

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

What do you need a gun like that for?  

I get that one a lot.

I tell them "it's to practice killing things.  That's what most shooting is anyways."

I get that one a lot too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

GOOD MAN!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I just reach over and calmly and slowly grab them by the lapel with one hand and slowly pull them towards my face. Then, in an increasingly louder tone that reaches screaming I say: "I AM NOT INSANE!"
Then, I slowly release them and brush their clothes back to normal and calmly say: "I'm tempermental. 5% temper, 95% mental."
I dont usually get another look.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#44]
One of my slow & stupid Cousins asked what I had mine for,
Replied  "Defense from mutant zombies."  He and one of his friends informed me "There is no such thing as zombies!"

Some people have no sense of humor.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Added the correct responses to the questions

Quoted:
Oh, you will also get:

"Whatcha doin?  Huntin' for bin Laden?"
Go fuck yourself.

"You practicin' to kill terrorists?"
Go fuck yourself.
"You one of them militia types?"
Go fuck yourself.
"You don't hunt with that, do you?"
Go fuck yourself.
"Whatcha shoot with that?"
Go fuck yourself.
"You gettin' ready for WWIII?"
Go fuck yourself.
This is usually in late October.  The hicks are dusting off their .270 bolt actions, firing a few shots (usually no more than half a dozen rounds) from the half box of ammo left over from last hunting season, and pack it back in the car, ready to go for deer season.

Best is just to not talk to these clowns.

Edited to add:

I forgot, numero uno, "You converted that thing to full auto?  I heard all you gotta do, you just file down the sear."
Go fuck yourself.

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#46]
*are you getting ready to go to war??
*why does a person need one of those for?
*arent those dam things "taboo" in CA.? they will never ban my 45 Colt single action army six shooter
*if it cant shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards, I have no need for an AR15!
*I bet that thing would be great to use in a drive by!

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Neighbors: "If there's ever a war I'm coming to your house"

Me: "Better Not."
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#48]
My whole family thinks I'm nuts.  They just don't understand why I need so many.  One of my brother's is comming around since he saw my 40 cal AR.  He keeps asking me if I can build one for under $200.  Cheap bastard: NO!  

The only one who understands is my wife.  I don't ask her why she needs to buy a new pair of shoes every week and she doesn't ask me why I have a package on the front door every week.  But she has no real interest in shooting.  I took her once to shoot some pistols and another time to hunt dove.  She found a tick on her when we went dove hunting and she freaked out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hey Vito, what else can you own over there on that side of the pond firearms-wise?

We can own break open, pump and semi shotguns, .22 bolt, semi or pump rifles. Centrefire rifle  is bolt action only. All guns are registerd. Next on my list is a Rmington 700 in 7.62.

Quoted:

If you'll read about what happens to folk in Britain who defend themselves, you'll realize that his AR isn't all that a hot idea. I imagine he has to keep it in a safe at a range? I thought they had to.

Yep, no right of self defence with a firearm, mandatory 8 years minimum. 'ONLY' possible mitigation would be if you were shot by an armed intruder first.

I can keep mine in a gunsafe in my house. Of course 'if' hypothetically I did shoot an intruder… I am duty bound to inform the Police… mmmm? call the Police…… of course I would.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Talk about screwed-up laws.
 Hell, I'll defend my self and loved ones with my weapons. A shovel and a hole will take care of the rest.

……………………………………………
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 3:52:52 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
"During the DC sniper incident, I had a co-worker ask me if I had a AR-15 because local LE agencies were asking the public to report anybody they knew that might have this type of rifle."

THAT is dangerous!

During that period, I wonder how many people, when Johnny Law came to the door to request their AR-15's to be turned over for testing just said, "Get a warrant.  Have a nice day"?

I encountered some folk during that sniper incident asking "Does that AR shoot .223?" and "practicing for being a sniper"? I said "you know, I'm tired of being harassed everytime some nutjob goes off and starts shooting people, but you know, it could be some redneck with a 22-250 varmint gun, you know? Get stuffed".

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top