Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Just make sure the top is lined up with the seal and apply a little pressure on the top while closing the latch.  They close allot easier that way.  They are all that tight and need to be that way to be water tight to 400ft.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like this case, but fair warning!

It won't fit in either of my cars, unless I fold down the back seat and slide it through from the trunk. It is ~4" too long to fit in the trunk or back seat otherwise!

I have two Honda Civics (1999 & 2001) and this is true for both of them.

Another factor to keep in mind on air travel . . . many airlines now have a limit of 50#/bag (or they charge you exorbitant "freight charges") and this case allegedly weighs 17# empty (info from Starlight's website).
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I emailed Starlight today as I have been unable to close my case after I opened it (and it felt like I broke my fingers working some of the latches). I am awaiting a response from them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I called the Reno, NV Sam's club today, they have 36 in stock. I was also told that this is a one time item.

Later...
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I emailed Starlight today as I have been unable to close my case after I opened it (and it felt like I broke my fingers working some of the latches). I am awaiting a response from them.

I dunno if anyone has posted this but,,,,you gotta press down on the top above the latch, to compress the rubber gasket. Start at one end an close each latch this way. It should close without much of a fight. Because it is "plastic", it bends and can be tough to close. One of the worst areas is near the hinges, and sometimes the lid wont fold down into the groove the gasket is set in. A few open and shuts usually corrects this problem.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The price tag says "One Time Buy Only".

Lay the case down and line up the upper and lower.
Push down one end and push like crazy and it will pop closed.
Go to the next latch and repeat.
Go on to next and repeat for the last two.

You have to push like you are trying to break it!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Just picked mine up.  Real nice.  Thanks for the heads-up.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
What we need is a lower durometer gasket, might not be waterproof to 400 ft., but would close a bunch easier.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:15:45 AM EDT
[#9]
My Sam's in "somewhat South" Florida just got them in this past weekend.  I picked up 2 last night but I haven't opened them yet.

The only negative I noticed with the display model is that with the wheels attached, you can't stand the case up with the wheels on the ground.  You have to lean it up against something.  It's not a major complaint, but my Winchester double-sided case has a little foot on it that allows it to be stood up on it's end with the wheels.

However, this case is quite a low profile case that will easily slip under my bed unlike my Winchester ones.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:20:01 AM EDT
[#10]
The Longview , Texas Sams has them in stock.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the closest Sams to me that has it is in stock is in Kingston, NY, that's a 140 mile drive one way. The # there is 845-382-1320. It's listed in their system, and the customer service rep said it will be available on the sams website soon. The best part is that they'll be contacting me when they have more info, or put it up on their website. I mentioned that there is considerable interest on an internet forum with several thousand members.

I'm only about 10 miles from Kingston.  Maybe I'll slip over there today and pick one up.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#12]
They are listed on thier website now.
With taxes and standard shipping it comes out to $141.32.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#13]
This is bs,  none of the Sam's here in Vegas have them yet.  I guess I'll have to go to the website and pay for shipping???
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this the case? I'm doing some traveling during the upcoming holidays. This looks like a case worthy of an actual physical inspection. Thanks for the heads up, even though I should have seen it much sooner.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
HighStrung,

Yes, that is the one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This is bs,  none of the Sam's here in Vegas have them yet.  I guess I'll have to go to the website and pay for shipping???

I did last night instead of waiting for my local Sam's to get one in. Knowing my luck the promotion period will be over by the time they get any in stock. It's still a good deal with the $15 shipping.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Just ordered 2 of them via the web site.  Too good of a deal to let slip away.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Picked up three Starlights at the Spartanburg, SC store on Thursday night....they had 33 in stock when I left.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Both the Ft. Pierce and Port St. Lucie stores in South FL have them in stock.  And the price is $99 rather than $116.

The Ft. Pierce store had 36 on hand when I went in last night...and had 32 when I came out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I was in the Orange, CT Sam's Club this afternoon and there were NO gun cases of any sort on the floor! [I didn't ask anyone as I already picked one up in NH.]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#21]
duluth MN has a whole pallet full.  i got mine on saturday and the code# wasn't in the register yet.  i don't have a membership but they let me buy it with a coupon (got it at the door-for non members) i had to pay 10% extra.  still a deal at $135!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:38:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Both the Ft. Pierce and Port St. Lucie stores in South FL have them in stock.  And the price is $99 rather than $116.

The Ft. Pierce store had 36 on hand when I went in last night...and had 32 when I came out.

This is very true.  I was back in the Sam's this weekend and I got a refund on the difference for the 2 I bought.

The bad news is that the store manager told me they were marked down because they weren't selling and they were going to send them back.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:21:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is very true.  I was back in the Sam's this weekend and I got a refund on the difference for the 2 I bought.

The bad news is that the store manager told me they were marked down because they weren't selling and they were going to send them back.

They're still showing at $116 on the website, are they being marked down to $99 everywhere? (wouldn't mind getting a refund)
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're still showing at $116 on the website, are they being marked down to $99 everywhere? (wouldn't mind getting a refund)

That, I don't know.  I don't know why they are sending them back from my local Sam's.  They have only been on the floor for 6 days.  And I know that they have sold at least 10 of them already.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#25]
They have them in Columbus Ohio too.

Saw 'em today.

$116.  I'm goin back and askin for the $99 price.  WTF...
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I got mine the other day.  It will fit across the seat of my car.  Pain in the ass to close.

Augusta Ga Sams has alot of them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Q - these should be safe for long term storage with a desicant pack thrown in, right?

I have lots of cases, but none that are airtight, thus my safe is packed.

I'll try the Plano Sam's again, frisco - maybe they have some in.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Q - these should be safe for long term storage with a desicant pack thrown in, right?

View Quote

You'd hope, but Im leery when theres no air circulation.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#29]

I have [b]exact[/b] duplicates of the foam inserts for the Starlight cases availiable.

Get the inserts from me and cut them to fit your rifles.  

This gives you an opportunity to cut a few different foam inserts for the case to fit your need.    Going from an arfcom shoot to a deer or antelope hunt?  Just change out the foam!

I can do any size or type of foam.

LMK....

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Question:

This is my first "custom" case.  When cutting the foam for the rifle do you normally remove the sling and bipod and store them apart from the rifle to get a better fit or do you leave them in place?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have [b]exact[/b] duplicates of the foam inserts for the Starlight cases availiable.

Get the inserts from me and cut them to fit your rifles.  

This gives you an opportunity to cut a few different foam inserts for the case to fit your need.    Going from an arfcom shoot to a deer or antelope hunt?  Just change out the foam!

I can do any size or type of foam.

LMK....

View Quote

... Wow! I never thought about that, I'll be contacting you. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Different foam for each and every need.

I'll be going to my supplier in the morning.  

LMK what you guys need.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Different foam for each and every need.

I'll be going to my supplier in the morning.  

LMK what you guys need.
View Quote

How many $$$$$? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#34]
A word on foam inserts, from someone who admits to knowing nothing about the different qualities of foam. [:)]

When I spoke with the national sales manager of Starlight, I asked him about his product vs. Pelican (who is highly respected).

One of the things he told me was that Pelican uses the cheapest grade of foam (Grade 1, I think he said), where Starlight uses a Grade 5. He claimed that this made a big difference in securing our guns better, etc.

Like I said, I don't know foam products, but I've been around long enough to know that they are NOT all equal in quality.

Perhaps threefiftynone can educate all of us on the qualities and costs of each grade of foam??
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Changes in temperature can cause humidity in the case to condense into water and be absorbed by the foam. I would not recommend long term storage in any foam case.

Edited to add that the desicant packs can reduce but not eliminate the absorbing action of the foam.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#36]
I won't claim to be the "end all, be all of cutting edge foam technology".  I know not shit about foam, or anything else, for that matter.  I do have a foam manufacturer nearly in my back yard.  A 10 minute drive.

I had 3 inserts delivered to me Friday.  They were perfect fits for the case.  The foam [b]looks[/b] the same.  I will be doing some nit picking with the rep.  I don't want to misrepresent anything.  

Right now, all I know is that I got 3 inserts at a good price, and they all [b]look[/b] exactly like the stuff that was stuffed into my Starlight case.  I supplied my uncut insert, and they matched it very well....

I plan to drop in first of the week and see how closely they can match the foam that came with my Starlight case, and see what else they have that may be of interest.  Since Starlight is about 3 road hours away, I have a sneaking suspicion that I can get the same foam at a good price.

I'm very happy with the inserts that were delivered to me.  

As I stated, I supplied an uncut insert.  They matched it nearly exactly.  As far as other sizes and contours go, I (or you) might have to round off the corners.

Just looking to help....

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#37]
When you talk to the folks at the foam company, ask them about the different grades and what that means, share it here and then we'll all know the differences?

I know from my 12 years doing product safety at the late DEC, that there are flammability ratings for foam that vary from "blow torch" (think Warwick, RI nightclub fire) to self-extinguishing. However, I'm not sure how relevant that is to the gun case (short of the fumes from burning foam can kill you).
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Can anyone spec the foam they want?  This would be very helpful when going to meet the folks at the foam Co.

As I stated, I know nothing about foam, except that I have a local manufacturer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#39]
I prefer 2 lb cross-linked PE.  Tell them what you want it for.  The important spec. is density, compression / defection and compression set.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Can anyone spec the foam they want?  This would be very helpful when going to meet the folks at the foam Co.

As I stated, I know nothing about foam, except that I have a local manufacturer.
View Quote

[red]Frankly, the caster wheels used on the Starlite cases really suck.  They stick out too far and will probably get knocked off during shipping.[/red]

Typical reusable packaging foam used:

[blue]Open Cell[/blue] -

2 POUND DENSITY POLYURETHANE ESTER, GREY,
    IAW MIL-P-26514, TYPE I, CLASS 2, GRADE C

[blue]Closed Cell[/blue] -

2.20 LB CHARCOAL POLYETHYLENE FOAM (ETHAFOAM) OR EQUIV. PER PP-C-1752C.  2.20
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

[red]Frankly, the caster wheels used on the Starlite cases really suck.  They stick out too far and will probably get knocked off during shipping.[/red]

Typical reusable packaging foam used:

[blue]Open Cell[/blue] -

2 POUND DENSITY POLYURETHANE ESTER, GREY,
    IAW MIL-P-26514, TYPE I, CLASS 2, GRADE C

[blue]Closed Cell[/blue] -

2.20 LB CHARCOAL POLYETHYLENE FOAM (ETHAFOAM) OR EQUIV. PER PP-C-1752C.  2.20
View Quote

Great info on the foam, it has been printed.

Anymore specs on the foam?  Any additional info will only help us to get what we want.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Frankly, the caster wheels used on the Starlite cases really suck. They stick out too far and will probably get knocked off during shipping.
View Quote

Mine came UPS and the boxes were beat to shit.  Looked like a gorrila kicked them down a few flights of stairs. Corners of the boxes were smashed and torn open.  The cases (with NOTHING between them and the box) were PERFECT, not a scratch or dent.

Sumbitches are built like a tank.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Great info on the foam, it has been printed.

Anymore specs on the foam?  Any additional info will only help us to get what we want.
View Quote

Yes, I've got books full.  How useful most of it is........

Basically for storing a gun, you can choose the open cell which will give more cushioning, or closed cell which won't absorb the moisture.

Since guns are fairly shock proof, and even scopes are, you really only need the mechanical retention, not the shock isolation, hence closed cell is usually the better choice

Additionally, closed cell doesn't rip as easily, so that's a plus.

I say it doesn't offer much shock protection because it's too stiff.  Note that when stereo equipment is packed in this foam, it only gets end caps.  That's because the foam is so stiff, it needs a fairly high loading of weight per square inch to work properly.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#44]
The latches on mine don't seem to be too tight. The end latches are easy to open and the center latches aren't difficult. If anyone in Reno wants an easy opener, I'll be happy to swap.
Another observation, these new cases have a matte finish. My older Starlight has a smooth shiny surface. I like the matte better.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Just got back from Sam's in Murfreesboro,TN. They had 35 of these cases. $116.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I checked some of the other cases tonight, most of them have easy latches as well.

The Kolpin soft cases are $35.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Found out the other day this company is stationed about 30 minutes from where I live. Anyway I called and ordered another sheet of foam so I could cut out another rifle for the same case. It was $15 with shipping. Nice folks too!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm having trouble understanding how this is really a two gun case, if they are both scoped ARs. There are three thick pieces of foam. Egg carton piece for the lid, one in the middle that you cut out for the rifle(s), and one on the bottom for bottom protection. The two thin half-inch pieces aren't going to provide any real protection for scope knobs or other protuberences, so to me, they're worthless.

It looks like it might barely handle two scoped deer rifles, so is that how they consider it a two gun case?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:18:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Found an interesting mod for taking these cases "off-road"...

[url]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jesse99/starlightguncase.html[/url]

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#50]
I went to NCFI last thursday, to find out about getting us some foam for the Starlight cases.  Between my absence here and there, I realized that I can't touch their delivered price.  I apologize.

Someone here at arfcom stated that you can order foam inserts directly from Brack Wilson for $15, delivered.  Do yourself a favor.  Get the $15 inserts.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top