BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just can't get my mind around rinsing my steak AFTER it's been seasoned, sorry.  

Same here.  Might as well run it through the dishwasher.

I'll give him a fair shot tomorrow though, I'll cook one up and see.

Link Posted: 10/19/2007 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
forget grilling, try cooking your beef in a super hot cast iron. preheat the pan in your oven to 450+ degrees, then put it on high heat on your gas burning stove. give the steak one or two minutes per side (depending on thickness and fat content of the meat) then finish in the super-hot oven. When done properly the result is a steak thats totally seared on the outside, and as rare as you want it inside. The beautiful part is the seared part of the meat only runs a few millimeters deep, and the rest of your tasty steak is bright pink, cooked just enough to liquify the fat in the meat, making for a seared tight, super juicy steak that will put any steak house to shame.

Seasoning is personal, but if you havnt already, go out and get your self some black truffle salt. Be careful, truffle salt is like culinery crack. I like to oil my steak then rub in the truffle salt. its expensive, but pungent, so use lightly. next coat in garlic and cracked (not ground) peppercorns.

Remember when you cook steak, that carry over will continue to cook your cut for a few minutes after you remove from heat, so take that steak off when its still a few degrees from done, and let it sit for a few minutes before you cut it.

IF you really want to get wild, after cooking a few steaks in your cast iron, it will be coated with black carmalized fat and delicious beef juice. This stuff is a sauce gold mine. heat the pan and add a fatty liquid (maybe some olive oil, cream, or milk+butter) and the carmalized beef goodness will cook into your sauce.

Holy shit that sounds good.

I might be eating steak the next 4 or 5 days in a row.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Your sex life must suck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 2:15:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just can't get my mind around rinsing my steak AFTER it's been seasoned, sorry.  

Same here.  Might as well run it through the dishwasher.

I'll give him a fair shot tomorrow though, I'll cook one up and see.

Have you tried it yet?
The purpose of rinsing it off is to get all the excess salt, etc off. This works because of osmosis (witchcraft!) - the steaks pull in a little of the sea/kosher salt (and rosemary in this case) and all the excess salt pulls out a fair amount of water.
mmmmm tasty.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 2:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Each bite was like a small orgasm.

You like orgasms in your mouth, huh?
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 3:09:40 AM EDT
[#7]
this is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 3:23:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I eat anywhere between 2 to 4 T-bones a week, any try to save the porterhouse steaks for social events and grill outs with friends.

I like McCormicks Montreal Spicy Seasoning on mine.

The GF's dad does beef cattle on his hobby farm. All the meat we get is Angus

Poor me huh?

Just came back from Minnisota and happen to go into an Angus meet market.  Talk about some fantastic looking cuts of meat. They were outstanding! Find one and you will not be disappointed. This place was near White Bear Lake where I was visiting....
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 4:02:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Damn, that looks awesome.

I love ribeye.

Flame me if you will, but rare...

Slightly under medium maybe, but there is a fine line between cooked and raw.
I have to eat my steak rare or at least medium rare.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 4:21:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not to blaspheme, but the best steaks come from under a broiler or in a cast iron skillet, IMO.

Yup, gotta agree.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 4:26:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I did this just this past Sunday with ribeyes.
I seared them in a cast iron skillet, then cooked in the oven with the skillet. It was great!
Only seasoning I used was salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a little bit of minced garlic.

At first I though that the steak would be too salty just sitting there in it for an hour. But it wasn't at all. Might be my new favorite recipe.

Follow the link Gaspain posted on page 1 for an explanation how it works, and for some mouth watering pictures.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Prepackaged rosemary and pre-chopped garlic? WTF?  -1
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I like the Fiestaware

Except it doesn't fit properly in the fucking dishwasher.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 5:00:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Boy, lot of bitching in this thread about how this steak was cooked.

Steak can be done many different ways. Different strokes for different folks.

All that said, I think his method looks good, and I am planning on giving it a shot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 5:05:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Regarding charcoal starting fluid...

If you use it right, there isn't a residual flavor.

And I'm not talking about the quantity used.  I'm talking about temperature.

I've seen a lot of guys start grilling their steaks too soon.

I don't like using natural charcoal because (at least the stuff I tried)
snapped and popped in the fire, tossing up small bits of ash.
I like my steak ash free.

So I use Kingsford.  It is very even burning.

Pile the briquettes in the middle of the grill.
This helps intensify the heat, and speeds starting much like the chimney does.

And I apply starting fluid until the briquettes start to float.

Then light.

Like I said, most guys start cooking before the coals are ready.
If you can still see black, the coals aren't ready.

When the coals are all ashed over, and RED HOT, the temperature is too high
for any residual starting fluid.   ie, no starter flavor.

Link Posted: 10/24/2007 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I just tried this tonight.  My wife and I loved it.  We eat a lot of steak (family in the cattle businesss) and appreciate a good recipie.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I just tried this tonight.  My wife and I loved it.  We eat a lot of steak (family in the cattle businesss) and appreciate a good recipie.

It's amazing how many people are knocking it without trying it.

At least someone has a little common sense.

When I first heard of the method, I said "that much salt???  NO WAY I'm trying that" but I was finally convinced to try it and it really does produce an outstanding steak.

BTW, for all the folks who were saying that using prechopped garlic was stupid, I tried the same method again using a fresh garlic clove and the flavor was way too strong.  I'll stick with the pre-chopped stuff, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I tried it the other night with the skillet in oven method. The seasoning part seemed to work pretty well - there was a nice salt flavor (not too strong) that seemed to be throughout the steak. But I think I need to adjust the cooking time some. I tried 30 seconds each side on the stove, and 2 minutes each side in the oven. It came out more cooked then I'd like - mostly grey with a little pink - and not much sear on the outside. Still pretty good eating, but not as good as it could be. I'll try it again with more time on the stove and less in the oven when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Different strokes for different folks Steak can be good many different ways.

i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/sgb_album/10-05-2007-powerout016.jpg

Steak and sauteed fungus..Oh hell yes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I tried it the other night with the skillet in oven method. The seasoning part seemed to work pretty well - there was a nice salt flavor (not too strong) that seemed to be throughout the steak. But I think I need to adjust the cooking time some. I tried 30 seconds each side on the stove, and 2 minutes each side in the oven. It came out more cooked then I'd like - mostly grey with a little pink - and not much sear on the outside. Still pretty good eating, but not as good as it could be. I'll try it again with more time on the stove and less in the oven when I get a chance.

I go with 1.5-2 minutes on the first side. Then I flip it over to the opposite side of the pan, because there is more heat over there.  The I sear that side for 1 minute, then I slam it in a preheated 350f oven for 2 minutes.  Works great for a newyork strip or T-bone of about 1.25-1.5 inches in uncooked thickness.  It comes out a perfect medium each time for me. If you have a thicker steak like a porterhouse or a fillet, they I would add some time in the oven.
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You have to get the skillet almost smokin to get the best char with this method.   Or a very hot grill.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Wife and I just tried the original poster's method.

Not exactly the flavor we desire.  Instead of rosemary, we need to find something else.

And even though I washed off the salt, the meat was still a bit too salty.

It was very VERY juicy and tender.  It was a strip steak that I normally wouldn't
like very much.  

I picked them up off the grill with tongs, and put them on a plate.
After a couple of minutes, there was a large puddle of juice on the plate.
I was amazed at how juicy they were.

But the flavor and saltiness detracted from the overall opinion.

Scale from 1 to 10...  I'd only give it a 7.

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Not exactly the flavor we desire.  Instead of rosemary, we need to find something else.

It was very VERY juicy and tender.  It was a strip steak that I normally wouldn't
like very much.  

use less time on the salt then. You used Koster salt right? Also, dont cut into the meat right away. Let it rest about 5-10 minutes before cutting into to let the juices re-distribute.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

like very much.  

What kind of salt did you use?

Sounds like you didn't wash it off well enough or let it sit too long with the salt on it.

I've tried it several times now and have never ended up with a salty steak.  I HATE salty food.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#25]
How's that for a coincidence? I just did a search for this thread because I'm making another one tonight, hopefully improved.

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How's that for a coincidence? I just did a search for this thread because I'm making another one tonight, hopefully improved.

Also a coincidence that this thread happened to pop up right after I finished eating one of my steaks prepared this way.

I guess everybody is in the mood for beef tonight.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Season the meat and wash off the seasoning? What for? Cut a corner off your man card for that one. Rosemary on steak? At least it was fresh. Fresh garlic, salt, and fresh ground pepper go well with steak, especially if you do not rinse it off before grilling. The purpose of that chimney thing is to light your charcoal without the use of fluid. Major badness here. Steak looks pretty good though, I give you a 7.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Sounds like you didn't wash it off well enough or let it sit too long with the salt on it.

I've tried it several times now and have never ended up with a salty steak.  I HATE salty food.

I got the salt at Wal-Mart.  It isn't Morton.  It is Grand Saline Natural Salt.
A product manufactured for Rohm and Haas Company.  (whoever that is)
The only ingredient in it is salt.  No iodine, or flowing agents.

It is not as fine as table salt.  But not as coarse as rock salt.  
It looks as coarse as the stuff in your original post.

I used fresh garlic that I ran through a garlic press.
And I used fresh rosemary that I chopped fine.
(shit smells like a pine forrest, but I used it anyway)

I added the rosemary and garlic first.  Rubbed it good.
Then dumped the salt on.
I piled it on the steak.  
I thought the goal was to make sure to use enough.
Then I covered it with another plate, and flipped it over.
Repeated the process on the other side.  

Then I let it sit for 45 minutes, per your instructions.

I washed it until no trace of garlic/rosemary or salt crystal was left.
I rinsed it off as quickly as I could so it didn't have a chance to reverse the process.

I dried the steaks with paper towels.  A bunch of them.  

Applied pepper, olive oil, and grilled.  5 minutes on one side, 3 minutes on the other.

It was a perfect medium well.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got the salt at Wal-Mart.  It isn't Morton.  It is Grand Saline Natural Salt.
A product manufactured for Rohm and Haas Company.  (whoever that is)
The only ingredient in it is salt.  No iodine, or flowing agents.

It is not as fine as table salt.  But not as coarse as rock salt.  
It looks as coarse as the stuff in your original post.

I used fresh garlic that I ran through a garlic press.
And I used fresh rosemary that I chopped fine.
(shit smells like a pine forrest, but I used it anyway)

I added the rosemary and garlic first.  Rubbed it good.
Then dumped the salt on.
I piled it on the steak.  
I thought the goal was to make sure to use enough.
Then I covered it with another plate, and flipped it over.
Repeated the process on the other side.  

Then I let it sit for 45 minutes, per your instructions.

I washed it until no trace of garlic/rosemary or salt crystal was left.
I rinsed it off as quickly as I could so it didn't have a chance to reverse the process.

I dried the steaks with paper towels.  A bunch of them.  

Applied pepper, olive oil, and grilled.  5 minutes on one side, 3 minutes on the other.

It was a perfect medium well.  

I do 30 min.  

dont cut the rosemary fine. When you do that, it makes it stronger.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I smell a hippy

Aw, that is cold, son.

Ice cold.

~GnSx
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The only way to cook steak in the house.

Alton Brown Pan Sear Ribeye

+1

but if you wanna get a little fancy, pan roast 4 or 5 cloves of garlic (whole) then smash them up and mix with a table spoon of dijon mustard and smear it on top then shave on some parmesan cheese before you put it in the oven.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top