User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Glock lovers will have a blast(kaboom?) with this.

No, they won't, and no one should.  All equipment failures suck, be it HK, Glock, 1911, or Human.  My worst nightmares are that my gun fails me, or my brain does.  Best thing about this is The Rules kept people from getting hurt.

Glad everyone is ok Xanadu, please keep us updated on how HK deals with this situation.

Ag

Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Never happend to me, but my buddy shot his floor with a kimber that had a faulty safety. Of course he pulled the trigger to see if the safety was on.

This is exactly what I tell customer's when they grieve about a glock or sig not having an external safety.  The first thing they do is flip the safety on whatever gun they want and then put their finger on the trigger.

I could never trust a firearm if it discharged using the decocker, so mine would be for sale also.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
No gun is safe.

That's why we use extra rules for handing firearms vs. all the other things we do in everyday life.

Sounds like OP followed these basic but easily forgotten rules.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Wha????? No pics???

Until I see some pics, I'm calling you a
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Good job keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction.
I make a habit of doing this whenever I load a round into the chamber on any auto or when I use the decocker on my SIGs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it physically possible to have a decocker cause an ND?  Doesn't seem rational in design.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, glad you have good gun habits.  No matter how much the malfunction bothers you, blowing a big hole in your foot would be worse...

If I'm not mistaken, the Beretta 92/96 pistols actually rotate the firing pin out of the way before allowing the hammer to fall while decocking, so I feel pretty good about decocking those.  Does the HK have something similar to prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin during decock?  Could a piece of foreign matter get in there and defeat it?
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah I never cared much for those decockers that just let the hammer slam home. Scary and I don't care whose brand is stamped on the gun. Mechanical devices can and will fail.

Really glad no one was hurt, that would have scared the crap out of me. Just wow.

Well, on an HK, they decock to a 'half-cock' position. In theory, at least.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not an unknown occurrence at all.  One of my fraternity brothers shot his left ring finger off and severed his left femoral artery due to a failure to observe Rule #1, in conjunction with a USP9 decocker failure.

Not a good thing to joke about but are you sure it's because he really doesn't want to get married?
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 92G and it lets it fly as well.  I always ease it down with my thumb.  When I first got it, I tried the decocker about 20 times out at the range to test this very procedure, but because that hammer moves so quick, Im just leery of it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]
This is crazy!

Out of curiosity, have you tried the decocker again to see if the same thing happens?
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah I never cared much for those decockers that just let the hammer slam home. Scary and I don't care whose brand is stamped on the gun. Mechanical devices can and will fail.

Really glad no one was hurt, that would have scared the crap out of me. Just wow.

Well, on an HK, they decock to a 'half-cock' position. In theory, at least.

I was wondering about this. Also do they or do they not have a firing pin safety? Like the FP will only go through the breech if the trigger is pulled?

Weird. good job keeping it pointed in a safe direction.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Out of curiosity, have you tried the decocker again to see if the same thing happens?

It would be interesting to know if it drops the hammer all the way or to the half-cock. Unloaded, of course.

Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wow, glad you have good gun habits.  No matter how much the malfunction bothers you, blowing a big hole in your foot would be worse...

If I'm not mistaken, the Beretta 92/96 pistols actually rotate the firing pin out of the way before allowing the hammer to fall while decocking, so I feel pretty good about decocking those.  Does the HK have something similar to prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin during decock?  Could a piece of foreign matter get in there and defeat it?

Correct, they rotate the firing pin up.  But as I posted above, the hammer flies so quick forward, I just dont know that I would fully trust it without my thumb easy it down.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Man, that sucks, Im glad no one was hurt.

On a more serious note, I believe you need to pick up a Glock or 1911 to avoid those pesky decocker levers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I was just thinking about the 92's as well.  Once the pin is rotated out of the way there is no way that thing is going off.  I have a USP Compact and want to know what could have failed.  One thing is clear, the firing pin hit the primer.  Can someone educate me on the actual mechanics of the decocker???
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be interesting to know if it drops the hammer all the way or to the half-cock. Unloaded, of course.

Right.  Maybe try it with a primered case?

Do the HK's have a firing pin block?
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This is crazy!

www.montanafungun.com/face.gif

+1

Pull a bullet and dump powder. Put primed case into gun and see if it does it again.

I'm really glad the guys on this board convinced me to go with a G19 instead of an HK p2000 w/decocker for my CCW gun.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Decockers annoy me, and I have a few guns with decockers.
I suppose the decocker I like best is my beretta 92, you can see the transfer bar move out of the way as it's decocked.

hmm..
Maybe I just like saying decocked?

Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#22]
My USPc 40 had the decocker before the LEM trigger mod.  My P220 and P226 do.  Every time I decock I EXPECT the gun to go off, and handle it accordingly (as you did).  Hammer moving towards firing pin with round in chamber should be treated as an accident waiting to happen.

Glad everyone is OK.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]
actually, check the primer on the round that actually fired.

I'm not really sure how this could have happened. The HK decock system is not particularly complicated.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yep. So it would it would have taken a failure of two systems (hammer dropping past half-cock or hammer-intercept notch or whatever) AND the firing-pin block failing. I think.

*shrug*
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#25]
The decocker on my GLOCK has never failed.

Seriously, glad you weren't hurt and good luck with the pistol. No matter what HK does to resolve the issue, I bet it will hard for you to ever use that decocker again.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Page 4 taggage.

Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Send it to Lorena Bobbit.

She's got decocking down to a science.
You have to admit this joke would be hilarious thirteen years ago.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Tag.  I better go find a chop stick and check the decocker on both my USP's.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I am glad you are okay.

Almost bought this same gun, this week, please keep us updated with what HK customer service tells you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Every time I decock I EXPECT the gun to go off, and handle it accordingly (as you did).  Hammer moving towards firing pin with round in chamber should be treated as an accident waiting to happen.

This seems like the logical thing to do.  I don't own any handguns with decocking levers, but if I did, I'd keep it pointing down or in a safe direction when using the decocking lever (unless I would gradually lower the hammer in which case I'd still be careful in case my finger slips).  I don't like decocking levers and I don't like safeties b/c of this very example - false sense of safety.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm very interested in how this occurred.  Using the decocker on my USP never felt natural anyways.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. So it would it would have taken a failure of two systems (hammer dropping past half-cock or hammer-intercept notch or whatever) AND the firing-pin block failing. I think.

*shrug*

Exactly.  Thats what I was thinking too.

We can rule out slamfire because the slide was all the way forward....right?
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#34]
You're having a bad month.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I suppose the decocker I like best is my beretta 92, you can see the transfer bar move out of the way as it's decocked.

That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#37]
The decocker on my GLOCK has never failed.
More importantly, glad nobody was hurt.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just tried every single one of my USPs and not one of them goes to a half cock position. I have never seen one that does.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Jeff Cooper taught me to NEVER TRUST A DECOCKER, it's a mechanical device and WILL FAIL.

I hate the HK decocker. It's a horrible design so I replaced it with a version 9 plate and all is well in the universe again. It's just a big fat obese but lightweight 1911 clone now
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

So how do you check it with a chop stick?
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I like my Sig 226's decocker.  By design, the hammer rides down as you ride the decocker up.

A lot better than these decockers that release the hammer at near (or full) speed.

Does the HK work in a similar way?
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I like my Sig 226's decocker.  By design, the hammer rides down as you ride the decocker up.

A lot better than these decockers that release the hammer at near (or full) speed.

Full speed drop. I too prefer the SIG.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#44]
tag
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#45]
From the USP faq over at Hkpro.com

When I decock, does the hammer hit the firing pin?
Yes and no. On the first generation USP, there is no half cock. So when you decock, the hammer does hit the firing pin, but the firing pin block prevents the firing pin from contacting the primer. On later guns, when you decock, the hammer is released to the half cock position.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to hijack, but I know of a P220 that has a full speed drop on the decocker.  I believe it's an older model, but it's still an American P220 with the mag release in the right place.

Does anybody know when they changed that, and if there's any way to change it to the current decocker?  Or did some Yahoo not reassemble the decocker correctly?
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Place chop stick(or pencil, pen, dowel, etc.) in barrel resting against breach face. Drop decocker. If chop stick shoots forward, it was hit by firing pin and decocker doesn't work.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#48]
x
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Place chop stick(or pencil, pen, dowel, etc.) in barrel resting against breach face. Drop decocker. If chop stick shoots forward, it was hit by firing pin and decocker doesn't work.

Interesting. I didn't think there would be much variation between a firing pin strike and inertia cause by the hammer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to hijack, but I know of a P220 that has a full speed drop on the decocker.  I believe it's an older model, but it's still an American P220 with the mag release in the right place.

Does anybody know when they changed that, and if there's any way to change it to the current decocker?  Or did some Yahoo not reassemble the decocker correctly?

I'd ask SIG that one. Compatability between old and new models isn't that great. I incapacitated a new SIG by simply putting old style rubber grips (which are 1,000 times better than the new ones) on a new model SIG.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top