Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I drove a 2000 crown vic for about 110K on the job. I just was switched out with an 07. If you treat it right you will be ok. They are a good car for a beater or first car for a teen.

The thing you have to remember is not the miles but the hours on the motor. There were off duty jobs where I would run that motor for eight hours, just sitting in a lot. The new 07's now have a hour meter on it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I find the lack of a front driveshaft amusing.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/StainlessSteel/Auto/H21.jpg

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/StainlessSteel/Auto/H23.jpg
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/StainlessSteel/Auto/H24.jpg

I find the lack of a front driveshaft amusing.

The axle housing isn't rotated either. Come to think of it, I wonder how the rear looks. I'll bet that thing vibrates like a sumbitch, and he keep spare u-joints in the console.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never bought an ex police cruiser before, but I've thought about it...

Any "need to know" info for the newbie?  

Do they fix the rear doors so they'll open from the inside again or do you have to do that yourself?  What other stuff do you have to do with these?

Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Those are big engines!  Plan on visiting a lot of gas stations.

Grew up on rice grinders, eh?

4.6L? big?  
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do they fix the rear doors so they'll open from the inside again or do you have to do that yourself?  What other stuff do you have to do with these?

They just strip them down and send them down the road. The doors will be on you.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't buy a used PI-fuck, I wouldn't take one for free!  We flog the shit out of these cars-trust me, you don't want one!!!!

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Really depends on what it was used for.  Some will require work on the doors and/or lights too.  Some states don't allow the wig-wags, etc.  CA even regulates the color (can't have a black and white).  For this reason be ware of cheap paint jobs (make sure the sills match the outside color.  Check out  crownvic.net
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...would you buy it?

2000  year Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 90,000 miles. Former small town cop car. Know the police chief a little, can get it for $2000.

What do you think for a college kid that needs a car?

It might not be good for gas mileage. Average 10 mpg patrolling, 14 is the best I've had. Anyone else concur on the gas mileage?

If that's all you're getting in a CV, something's wrong.  I average about 21 mph, hwy and city combined.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Get a 01' or newer, 00' still have the NPI engines (think 96-98 mustang GT), 01' and up is about 45 hp more for the same price.

Non PI 4.6s in crowns were 220hp with dual exhaust. PI 4.6s in the same car are 235 hp with duals.

The new CVPI is at 250hp. I believe 07 and up

Dont know where you got that 45 hp figure
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does it have a one-piece plastic back seat, or the stock one?

Kharn

I actually haven't seen it myself, my dad has looked at it though. He said the front seats were cloth and the back seat was vinyl. I don't think it has a hard plastic back seat with the cut outs for cuffed hands...that would be kind of cool though.

It'll come with the cage and brush guard though.

yep,,vinyl seats, handcuff secures, cage,,,great for date night with the local sorority chippies,
Or firing up your own taxi service.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#13]
That's a hell of a bargain, pricewise.  Check ebay and www.usedcopcars.com for an idea on average pricing.

Since it's a small-town car with below-average miles for one of these, I'd think it hasn't been flogged as hard as a car from a big city.  Ask to see the maintenance records, though.

If everything looks OK, I'd be all over it.  I've got an '05 Crown Vic LX that I'm perfectly happy with, and I pile on 3k miles a month.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:14:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...would you buy it?

2000  year Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 90,000 miles. Former small town cop car. Know the police chief a little, can get it for $2000.

It might not be good for gas mileage. Average 10 mpg patrolling, 14 is the best I've had. Anyone else concur on the gas mileage?

If that's all you're getting in a CV, something's wrong.  I average about 21 mph, hwy and city combined.

But you probably don't have a wind catching lightbar/spotlight/push bumper, lots of heavy radio/SCMODS gear or a trunk full of first aid/accident scene safety equipment.  And the CVPI probably has much lower gearing than a regular CV.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a 01' or newer, 00' still have the NPI engines (think 96-98 mustang GT), 01' and up is about 45 hp more for the same price.

Non PI 4.6s in crowns were 220hp with dual exhaust. PI 4.6s in the same car are 235 hp with duals.

The older engine was over rated, most 96-98 mustangs were lucky to get 170 hp to the rear wheels on dynos.......so the hp gap was much larger, maybe not 45, but definately not 15 either......
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:27:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is a good site with general PI info.
www.geocities.com/bruzilla/

Ebay has some good buyer guide articles as well.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...would you buy it?

But you probably don't have a wind catching lightbar/spotlight/push bumper, lots of heavy radio/SCMODS gear or a trunk full of first aid/accident scene safety equipment.  And the CVPI probably has much lower gearing than a regular CV.

More likely he sits still with the engine running for 15-20 minutes several times per shift, and simply forgot that when he said 10-14 mpg.  I could see a little difference due to equipment, maybe a couple miles per gallon, but not a 50+% reduction.  

edited:  and mine's a PI with a 3.55 gear ratio.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...would you buy it?

More likely he sits still with the engine running for 15-20 minutes several times per shift, and simply forgot that when he said 10-14 mpg.  I could see a little difference due to equipment, maybe a couple miles per gallon, but not a 50+% reduction.  

Thats what I was thinking.   We don't even bother adding up the mileage because sometimes, mainly the winter, the car might be running the entire shift, whether or not we drive anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#19]
FWIW, I drove a CV PI for about a year after my truck was stolen.  It's a solid car, but be warned... if you look at all like a cop, people are going to drive really slow in front of you and will frequently stop to ask you questions they would ask an officer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Even as afixer-upper, I would like to get ahold of one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...would you buy it?

Agreed, that mileage is pretty FUBAR if it doesn't include lots of sitting & idling.  Lead foot maybe?  
I could understand that crappy of mileage if we were talking about a "Bluesmobile" land yacht old Monaco, but a late model fuel injected smaller/more streamlined sedan?
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#22]
The front ends lack grease zerks so expect it to be worn out.  Annoying, unsafe at speed and will chew tires.  Worse, it is very slow.  As slow as it is it should not break parts but somehow it manages.  Mostly engines and transmissions, or so I've been told.  Lots of CVs around here rattle like hell and are frequently in the repair shop.  You see so many of them at two of the garages here they look like police substations.  Our PD is really good on PM and oil changes every 3k too.  Low budget small town forces may well skimp here.

It might be fun for a little while but you'd be better off in an old (96 and prior) Caprice or maybe the new Charger.  With the latter $2000 won't touch it.

Is an old VW Bug out of the question?  Can be found cheap, have a blast furnace for a heater, great in mud and snow, simple, good mileage, cheap to repair, and won't scare off the women like an old cop car.  It might even attract a few.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I drove a 2000 crown vic for about 110K on the job. I just was switched out with an 07. If you treat it right you will be ok. They are a good car for a beater or first car for a teen.

The thing you have to remember is not the miles but the hours on the motor. There were off duty jobs where I would run that motor for eight hours, just sitting in a lot. The new 07's now have a hour meter on it.

Sweet!  I didnt know that.  Thats like the hobbs meter in our airplanes.  I can look forward to new hour meter on my next car! suhweet
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The older engine was over rated, most 96-98 mustangs were lucky to get 170 hp to the rear wheels on dynos.......so the hp gap was much larger, maybe not 45, but definately not 15 either......

Not talking about mustangs Im talking about crown victorias
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im thinking stocker single exhaust Crown Vics NPI (190 hp?) vs. the PI with duals.  My bad.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top