Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not really sure why the IRS would be involved in this.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel like I missed the boat here…with sons, it was match whatever they had for down payment, for daughters it was an outright purchase, (yeah life is unfair sons), but never thought of any tax implications. Now that I think about it, all the money I laid out for car notes, tuition, short on gas money, all of which I recall would be paid back… never did. Is it too late for me to file this 1099 Forgiveness of Debt?

Ref guns.  I ‘loaned’ one son a SW M&P 40 cal to shoot, just to see if he liked it and wanted to buy one…  haven’t seen it since!  Have another one who borrowed a Glock 30, when he bought a house.  I know I’m never seeing that again, as my wife shamed me during the ammo famine to give him my cache of 45.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Ignore any tax impact.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just have him get the loan... Builds his credit ect.
View Quote

Co sign the loan for him
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Does not compute.
View Quote

I’m confused too
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It wouldn't. But to some the government is a deity that should never be lied to and should always be obeyed.

The government is holy. Always consult the government when you want to do something to make sure it's "allowed". After all, our rights come from the government.

Geeze. It's no wonder "our side" loses. This is why there will be no "boogaloo".  The government yields to those that are ungovernable.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It wouldn't. But to some the government is a deity that should never be lied to and should always be obeyed.

The government is holy. Always consult the government when you want to do something to make sure it's "allowed". After all, our rights come from the government.

Geeze. It's no wonder "our side" loses. This is why there will be no "boogaloo".  The government yields to those that are ungovernable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably because when you have a large financial transaction there is a good chance it will be flagged and tracked.  And certainly transfers of vehicle title are not anonymous.  Moving money around to buy a car is definitely not anonymous, unless we are talking about a beater sub-$10k, and even then it's got a decent chance of coming to state and/or federal attention.

The feds allow tax free gifts up to $18k/year.  Excess of that and the donor owes a gift tax which can be sizeable.  

If OP buys a $25k car and transfers title to the kid, then the $7k in excess of the gift limit becomes a tax problem for OP.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can gift up to $18k a year without paying gift tax.

So if you buy the car and keep it titled in your name, he can pay you $18k in gifts.  If you then transfer title to him, if the depreciated value is under $18k, also no tax.

If the payments exceed $18k/year, or if the car value will exceed $18k at time.of transfer, you may have an issue.
View Quote

There is no issue gifting more than $18k per year.  There is no tax either.

This often referred to as the "gift tax exclusion" but it is actually a reporting requirement threshold.  Any gifting from an individual to another individual that exceeds $18k in a tax year, must simply be reported on IRS form 709.  This gift is still subject to the lifetime estate tax exclusion, which is currently 13.6 million dollars.  So even gifting more than $18k in a year does not create a taxable event, it is simply decremented from the estate tax exclusion for that individual giver.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Too late to help now but if you are a parent with a credit card you pay in full every month (or keep at a lower balance) you should get your kids an additional user card as soon as the bank allows. My kids have been on a card account with 50k limit for years, 5-10k spending a month paid in full, the cards with their names on are locked in a safe. When they are done with college they will have a strong credit report, and if they fuck it up after that it’s on them.
View Quote

QFT, simple and easy way to build credit history.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We are working on building his credit. He is just getting started in life. Skipped college and went straight into the trades. No drugs, no smoking, no drinking. Incredibly good young man.
He can't get a loan.
View Quote

You sound like a good dad OP.

When I read most of these other Generation vs. Generation threads here, at least half the response sound like "Well times were hard for me too back in 19xx, when the Then Current Thing was happening, so fuck em'!" (the Then Current Thing was 50 years ago, and today's main stats for young people are 4x worse)

If he is doing all that, and still paying for his own truck then that's great. My only hope is that you find the best way to help his credit score and insurability in the process.

Only other thing to add, is to have him check out Nerd Wallet or The Points Guy. They will show him what credit cards to open and how to use card opening bonuses to get hotel points or airline miles. If he is strategic and disciplined about it, he could establish great credit and get some perks, too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When I read most of these other Generation vs. Generation threads here, at least half the response sound like "Well times were hard for me too back in 19xx, when the Then Current Thing was happening, so fuck em'!" (the Then Current Thing was 50 years ago, and today's main stats for young people are 4x worse)

If he is doing all that, and still paying for his own truck then that's great. My only hope is that you find the best way to help his credit score and insurability in the process.

Only other thing to add, is to have him check out Nerd Wallet or The Points Guy. They will show him what credit cards to open and how to use card opening bonuses to get hotel points or airline miles. If he is strategic and disciplined about it, he could establish great credit and get some perks, too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are working on building his credit. He is just getting started in life. Skipped college and went straight into the trades. No drugs, no smoking, no drinking. Incredibly good young man.
He can't get a loan.

Yes. I walked him through choosing, applying, and obtaining a credit card about a month ago. He has a $200 limit. He has limited it and immediately paid it off twice now. It is pretty much all he uses for purchases and pays it off every 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#12]
You're overthinking OP.

Just cosign.   Either way, you're responsible for the loan.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cosign.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#14]
You have a pretty explainable reason for why you are doing this. I can't see how it would be flagged by the IRS unless you were to claim the interest on the loan as a business expense or claim mileage from the car. If you wanted to be completely straightforward you could write a lease to own contract to be the same as the loan. There isn't a law that you have to make a profit on the sale.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top