Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Cops are people to and sometimes they get pissed off just like we do.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I don't know about ya'll, but I've never got 6 of my buds and kicked the crap out of an old fart when I was pissed off.  I just threw a chair or something, but that's just me.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

if i get pissed like that at my job in front of a client, i'd be fired on the spot.

luckily, I'm a grown-up and can control my emotions.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know about ya'll, but I've never got 6 of my buds and kicked the crap out of an old fart when I was pissed off.  I just threw a chair or something, but that's just me.  

I am talking about being pissed about the situation. It's pretty obvious the cops didnt leave their house pissed looking to beat someone up.

Not saying I am justifing their behavior though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if i get pissed like that at my job in front of a client, i'd be fired on the spot.

luckily, I'm a grown-up and can control my emotions.

Hard to compare business with arresting a drunk dude.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Still nope, mace him if that doesn't take then pop him but I would still not just shoot the guy.  The mind set of just shooting someone, whether cop or not, if you don't want to be bubba's fresh meat, you better make sure that shooting was your only alternative.  I think most situations can be resolved with the proper application of OC.  Also, in this situation the reporter was being an antagonist, he was told not to be there or film and he didn't listen just like the guy getting the beat down.  When a cop tells you to do something like leave, whether he is right or wrong, you should do it.  If you do get a beat down, you will be in the wrong and the law is on their side.

something about that statement really bothers and saddens me as an American.

I was referring to the cop telling him to get away from him and he stayed there.  I was not endorsing the JBThuggery.  In short if a Cop tells you to move on, MOVE ON.  That is not an endorsement for PoPo abuse though.

that's cool.

I don't agree with the "move on" stuff at all.

I'll take my rights to court if need be I suppose. that badge doesn't mean "above the law", just like that cop in the video is about to find out.

OK, I must not understand what you are saying.  Are you saying that if there was a disturbance and you were watching it, if a cop told you "move on" you would stand there and argue with him about your rights?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Still nope, mace him if that doesn't take then pop him but I would still not just shoot the guy.  The mind set of just shooting someone, whether cop or not, if you don't want to be bubba's fresh meat, you better make sure that shooting was your only alternative.  I think most situations can be resolved with the proper application of OC.  Also, in this situation the reporter was being an antagonist, he was told not to be there or film and he didn't listen just like the guy getting the beat down.  When a cop tells you to do something like leave, whether he is right or wrong, you should do it.  If you do get a beat down, you will be in the wrong and the law is on their side.

I was referring to the cop telling him to get away from him and he stayed there.  I was not endorsing the JBThuggery.  In short if a Cop tells you to move on, MOVE ON.  That is not an endorsement for PoPo abuse though.

that's cool.

I'll take my rights to court if need be I suppose. that badge doesn't mean "above the law", just like that cop in the video is about to find out.

OK, I must not understand what you are saying.  Are you saying that if there was a disturbance and you were watching it, if a cop told you "move on" you would stand there and argue with him about your rights?

if I wasn't in the way or doing anything. Yes I would stay, wouldn't "argue" at all. power trip cops buy nice houses .
I am serious BTW, I doubt I'd be moving much.

ETA: YMMV of course.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's cool.

if I wasn't in the way or doing anything. Yes I would stay, wouldn't "argue" at all. power trip cops buy nice houses .

How old are you?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's cool.

How old are you?

35, how old do I have to be, to be harassed  for doing nothing?

Like I said, YMMV

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Police Charged After Violent Arrest Taped By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 44 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS - Two New Orleans police officers repeatedly punched a 64-year-old man accused of public intoxication, and another city officer assaulted an Associated Press Television News producer as a cameraman taped the confrontations.

After being questioned, the three patrolmen were arrested late Sunday and charged with battery. They were released and ordered to appear in court at a later date, Capt. Marlon Defillo said. The officers also were suspended without pay, he added.

"We have great concern with what we saw this morning," Defillo said after he and about a dozen other high-ranking police department officials watched the APTN footage Sunday. "It's a troubling tape, no doubt about it. ... This department will take immediate action."

The assaults come as the department, long plagued by allegations of brutality and corruption, struggles with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the resignation last month of Police Superintendent Eddie Compass.

The APTN tape shows an officer hitting the man at least four times in the head Saturday night as he stood outside a bar near Bourbon Street. The suspect, Robert Davis, appeared to resist, twisting and flailing as he was dragged to the ground by four officers. Another of the four officers then kneed Davis and punched him twice. Davis was face-down on the sidewalk with blood streaming down his arm and into the gutter.

Meanwhile, a fifth officer ordered APTN producer Rich Matthews and the cameraman to stop recording. When Matthews held up his credentials and explained he was working, the officer grabbed the producer, leaned him backward over a car, jabbed him in the stomach and unleashed a profanity-laced tirade.

"I've been here for six weeks trying to keep ... alive. ... Go home!" shouted the officer, who later identified himself as S.M. Smith.

Defillo identified the patrolmen as Stuart Smith, Lance Schilling and Robert Evangelist. Smith is an eight-year veteran of the department, and the other officers have each been on the force for three years, he said.

Police said Davis, 64, of New Orleans, was booked on public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation. He was treated at a hospital and released into police custody.

A mug shot of Davis, provided by a jailer, showed him with his right eye swollen shut, an apparent abrasion on the left side of his neck and a cut on his right temple.

"The incidents taped by our cameraman are extremely troubling," said Mike Silverman, AP's managing editor. "We are heartened that the police department is taking them seriously and promising a thorough investigation."

Davis, who is black, was subdued at the intersection of Conti and Bourbon streets. Three of the officers appeared to be white, and the other is light skinned. The officer who hit Matthews is white. Defillo said race was not an issue.

Three of the five officers — including Smith — are New Orleans officers, and two others appeared to be federal officers. Numerous agencies have sent police to help with patrols in the aftermath of Katrina.

Under normal circumstances, it takes unusually offensive behavior to trigger an arrest on Bourbon Street. But New Orleans police have been working under stressful conditions since the hurricane.

Officers slept in their cars and worked 24-hour shifts after the storm. Three-quarters lost their homes and their families are scattered across the country.

"Our police officers are working under some very trying times," Defillo said. "So it's a difficult time, but it doesn't excuse what our jobs are supposed to be."

Many officers deserted their posts in the days after Katrina, and some were accused of joining in the looting that broke out. At least two committed suicide.

Conditions have improved — officers now have beds on a cruise ship — but they don't have private rooms and are still working five, 12-hour days.

Compass, the police superintendent, resigned Sept. 27. Despite more than 10 years of reform efforts dating to before he took office, police were dogged by allegations of brutality and corruption.

On Friday, state authorities said they were investigating allegations that New Orleans police broke into a dealership and made off with nearly 200 cars — including 41 new Cadillacs — as the storm closed in.

Ahhh....the media once again making sure there is something for jesse and al to do...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Big fucking deal.

The punches to the head for passive resistance, nah. But he was resisting and continued to do so.

Clearing a person trying to "interview" officers during an arrest, no problem. Get the fuck outta the scene news fag. You can get the story AFTER, not DURING, ass bag. Anyone who comes up onto a scene like that needs to be cleared from it.

Some of you guys are too, too much.

You know, FiveO, I don't think one can honestly justify the officers' actions on this one.  In the five years that I worked the high security units (your basic rapists, murderers, gang bangers and once-in-a-while 5150 case) at a juvenile I have never witnessed any of my fellow staff beating the shit out a non-compliant detainee that was trying to fight them while trying to take them down.  And, trust me, we could have.  After all, we're INSIDE a building where no one could have seen us.  Plus, who they gonna believe?  The inmates?  Hardly.  Sure, we had some gung-ho officers, but we stopped that shit real quick, because we didn't want to have to deal with administration because of some wack job C.O. in OUR unit.  But, hey, we tried to run our unit by the BOOK.  

Look, I know being a street cop is hard and sometimes there are pukes out there that deserve a good beating, but, c'mon, don't you think sometimes things are taken too far?  I'm pretty sure those guys didn't have to fuck him up the way they did.  If I, or any of my staff, had done that in the institution we would have been FIRED, BIG TIME!  So how can you justify the video?  And as for the reporter guy.  Yeah, he shouldn't have tried to get close to the scene, but the officer's response was incredibly UNPROFESSIONAL.  I could understand if the situation was a highly volatile one, i.e., multiple perps and a converging crowd, where the officers need to gain control, but it wasn't.  It was just one intoxicated person.  And an old guy at that.  

Oh well, I guess.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So, if I get pissed off at a student I can kick the crap out of them?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're standing too close to me while I E-work. So heres an E smack!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:06:16 AM EDT
[#16]
The news guy is an idiot - not smart walking up next an officer from behind (on his gun side) during an arrest and trying to interject yourself into the situation......  Frankly, the officer was justified in physically restraining the news guy.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:10:30 AM EDT
[#17]
They should be polite and corteous while they take him to the stationhouse, give hime some hot coffee, then take the badges and the cuffs off and then proceed to kick the shit outta him.....no reporters no witnesses....
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:26:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The news guy is an idiot - not smart walking up next an officer from behind (on his gun side) during an arrest and trying to interject yourself into the situation......  Frankly, the officer was justified in physically restraining the news guy.

Brian

You call that "physically restraining"? An arm on the shoulder is physically restraining. He lost his temper and assaulted a man.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:31:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Big fucking deal.

The punches to the head for passive resistance, nah. But he was resisting and continued to do so.

Clearing a person trying to "interview" officers during an arrest, no problem. Get the fuck outta the scene news fag. You can get the story AFTER, not DURING, ass bag. Anyone who comes up onto a scene like that needs to be cleared from it.

Some of you guys are too, too much.

A guy I know pretty well got arrested two weeks ago. He jawed with the cop but didn't resist and as soon as the cuffs were on, the cop started talking smack, saying things like, "Who's the tough guy now?"

Not to mention lifting the guy's arms (while they were cuffed behind him), and holding his head against a brick wall.

Now, I think this guy is a jerk, but there's no way in hell he deserved that kind of treatment over a "Breach of Peace" charge.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You call that "physically restraining"? An arm on the shoulder is physically restraining. He lost his temper and assaulted a man.

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:43:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

Negative - a wrist lock/ twist lock/putting the guy on the hood is physically restraining somebody.  A hand on the shoulder is a greeting for a friend - it does not appear the officer knew who the reporter was at the time of the initial contact.  Officer was justified in restraining and ID'ing the reporter.  Officer could not force the camera man to stop filming.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#22]

It's pretty obvious the cops didnt leave their house pissed looking to beat someone up.

not obvious to me
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:31:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

Negative - a wrist lock/ twist lock/putting the guy on the hood is physically restraining somebody.  A hand on the shoulder is a greeting for a friend - it does not appear the officer knew who the reporter was at the time of the initial contact.  Officer was justified in restraining and ID'ing the reporter.  Officer could not force the camera man to stop filming.

Brian

So you missed all of the yelling and shaking that indicate rage?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:40:15 AM EDT
[#24]

It's pretty obvious the cops didnt leave their house pissed looking to beat someone up.

I think that many cops think just that every morning or the start of every shift.

I wonder how the US Military can train young, non-college educated people to use proper restraint when dealing in situations of peace keeping/ enforcement, but most PO's aare not able to do so.

I do not see why a man who is 64 years old needs to get beat down, he was drunk is public, big deal 1/2 of New Orleans is drunk half the time anyway. They had him against the wall, hands behind his back whent he punchs started to fly. Man, what a huge threat he was there.

At then end of the day, I think it is the best thing that could have happend. The man will make some serious coin and the officers who should never have been cops will hopefully be off the streets and in a KMART checking locks after hours.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Anyone who comes up onto a scene like that needs to be cleared from it.

Especially if they have a video camera and might tape blatant and overt thuggery.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On Friday, state authorities said they were investigating allegations that New Orleans police broke into a dealership and made off with nearly 200 cars — including 41 new Cadillacs — as the storm closed in.

I don't see what the big deal is. They were authorized by law to commandeer any property necessary to sustain order and protect lives. If it takes a couple of dozen Escalades to do that, then that's what they're going to get.

I wonder if they broke into an accessories shop and added spinners.  "Pimp My (Commandeered) Ride"
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I think that many a very few cops think just that every morning or the start of every shift.

I wonder how the US Military can train young, non-college educated people to use proper restraint when dealing in situations of peace keeping/ enforcement, but most some PO's are not able to do so.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:24:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't have a problem with the punches during the arrest. He was resisting the arrest.

Hey guy, didn't you see he was up against the wall, RESTRAINED, getting rabbit-punched like a mofo while the horseback cop tried to cover for his buds?  

Next time you get a little drunk and mouthy, go ahead and tell the cops to beat the shit out of your cranium instead of just using the pepper spray.

There's a line between subduing a guy and executing street justice.

He wasnt restrained. He didn't  get cuffed until he was on the ground.  As for pepper spray...on most use of force continuims it comes after empty hand techniques (punches/ PPCT) and before baton.  If he is resisting the arrest he is still a danger to the officers. The punches were fine. All this guy had to do was submit to the arrest.
    Just because they used force dosent make it wrong.  It's excessive force which is not allowed.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have a problem with the punches during the arrest. He was resisting the arrest.

Hey guy, didn't you see he was up against the wall, RESTRAINED, getting rabbit-punched like a mofo while the horseback cop tried to cover for his buds?  

Next time you get a little drunk and mouthy, go ahead and tell the cops to beat the shit out of your cranium instead of just using the pepper spray.

He wasnt restrained. He didn't  get cuffed until he was on the ground.  As for pepper spray...on most use of force continuims it comes after empty hand techniques (punches/ PPCT) and before baton.  If he is resisting the arrest he is still a danger to the officers. The punches were fine. All this guy had to do was submit to the arrest.
    Just because they used force dosent make it wrong.  It's excessive force which is not allowed.

did we watch the same video?  The most he was doing was turning around to mouth off.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that many a very few cops think just that every morning or the start of every shift.

I wonder how the US Military can train young, non-college educated people to use proper restraint when dealing in situations of peace keeping/ enforcement, but most some PO's are not able to do so.

A very few equals how many? One is too many. Civil Right takers they are not supposed to be,

Some..Ok I will give you that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:13:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Especially if they have a video camera and might tape blatant and overt thuggery.  

exactly!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:15:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see what the big deal is. They were authorized by law to commandeer any property necessary to sustain order and protect lives. If it takes a couple of dozen Escalades to do that, then that's what they're going to get.

glad there wasn't a rolls royce dealership in the area too if they took those caddies, they're thieves and nothing less.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes . . .cops are people to . . But they are supposed to be able to control their emointions -

And the one that grabbed the reporter . . . good grief . . .what was he thinking ?

I find it hard to believe that they didnt have mace ? or a tazer ? Thats why they have those devices - so that dont resort to throwing blows . . .

69 or 70 year old guy isnt really any match for 3 or 4 under 30 officers who probably work out -

I have no prolem with police force . . if someone is resisting arrest - taze or mace em . . .
My step father was a police officer - And he lost his job over something on a MUCH LESSER scale than this . . . A punk kid spit in his face - Put him in a pressure hold - Took him to the ground and his nose hit the ground and broke it -
He was fired . . . .

I certainly think the same rules should apply for those officers . . . .

EDITED: for spelling
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I really, REALLY hope these thugs do time.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

they won't
personal resposibility only counts for we pathetic subjects it seems.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they won't
personal resposibility only counts for we pathetic subjects it seems.

By this time next year the ghost cops, the deserters and the Caddy-looters will be forgotten and NOLA PD will be refered to as "Heroes" who saved the city.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

exactly!

Anyone see the camera man being even so much as spoken to? I didn't. Only the idiot following the offficer into the scene was addressed.

"I'm a reporter, I'm a reporter."

"I don't give a good fuck who you are."

Officer did loose his temper though, no doubt.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

exactly!

Anyone see the camera man being even so much as spoken to? I didn't. Only the idiot following the offficer into the scene was addressed.

Good point.  What's your take on the officer on the horse obviously moving to block the view of the camera?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

exactly!

Good point.  What's your take on the officer on the horse obviously moving to block the view of the camera?

Good job?  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Good job?  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#42]
damn that dude got beat the fuck up!

what a crock of shit.  i hope all those fuckers get it back in spades.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

exactly!

Good job?  

Ah, OK.  Up until this point I wasn't sure whether you were a corrupt cop.  Now I am.  Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#44]
In Portland the cops would have drawn down on the guy, gave verbal orders and if the guy didn't follow the orders they would have pepper sprayed him.  While he's on the ground gagging they would again give orders and if he still didn't follow them they would have tazzed him.  While on the ground gagging and jerking around in electro-shock they would again have given orders.  Still not complying they would shoot him.  During the investigation the cops would have shown they followed the threat level progression and been justified in the shooting and given medals.

I think the guy is lucky to be alive.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
In Portland the cops would have drawn down on the guy, gave verbal orders and if the guy didn't follow the orders they would have pepper sprayed him.  While he's on the ground gagging they would again give orders and if he still didn't follow them they would have tazzed him.  While on the ground gagging and jerking around in electro-shock they would again have given orders.  Still not complying they would shoot him.  During the investigation the cops would have shown they followed the threat level progression and been justified in the shooting and given medals.

I think the guy is lucky to be alive.

[parent spanking kid] STOP CRYING NOW OR I'LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO REALLY    CRY ABOUT!! [/parent spanking kid]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

did we watch the same video?  The most he was doing was turning around to mouth off.

You may be in the wrong thread then. I saw a guy resisting arrest while he was standing, in an attempt to subdue him sereral emptyhanded punches were thrown striking the suspect in the face. The suspect continued to resist and was taken to the ground. The suspect continued to resist  and was attempting to get up from the ground even though 4 officers were trying to handcuff him. The resisting continued and more emptyhanded punches were thrown and a couple of knees were thrown. The suspect was finally handcuffed and there were no more punches thrown.  This suspect continually tried to pull his arms away from the officers and get up from the ground.  Should the cops have waited until the guy possibly pulled a knife or gun and then tried to quickly end the resisting?? It's what they know at the time of the arrest not afterwards that counts. Although force was used it was not excessive.  Those assault charges will not hold up in court.  

The guy who went off on the reporter was totally wrong.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

"and the horse he rode in on...".
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#48]
The first punches were not emptyhanded.

Punching someone in the head to achieve compliance is a BAD idea.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Clearly Bush's fault.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
The first punches were not emptyhanded.

Punching someone in the head to achieve compliance is a BAD idea.

What was in his hand then???

I agree about it being a bad idea, it looks bad....but if that is the only target you have you gotta use it. It still does not amount to excessive force or "shock the concious".
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top