BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the going price on one of these PLR pistols?

The one I looked at last night was marked $479 + tax, and I know he'd come off that a little...

Correction:  I stopped back by yesterday (they donated a few items for my NRA banquet next week ) and it was marked $459 + tax.  I started to buy it on th spot, but I noticed one corner of the rear sight was "blunted," like it had been dropped and broken/ground flat.  Minor & probably insignificant, but if I'm gonna pay "new" price I want a "new" gun, and they didn't have any others in stock.  They have 2 or 3 more on order & I'll probably buy one of those when they come in...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I may be wrong but I swear I saw these for 360 bucks at Albro Guns in Indianapolis. Again, I could be wrong. Yes, it was new.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I tend to side with the skeptical guys here.

That gun blew apart in a most nasty way. That in itself is scary.
I've seen case failures in AKs where even in the extreme cases, the rifle still held together.

What bothers me is that "Oh, that was some bad BAD ammo you used!" seems like the real easy and self-absolving answer. Why should they accept any blame? Why would they? What are you going to do about it... accept a new carbine free of charge, yeah, we thought so.. case closed, have a nice day!

You checked the whole batch of ammo and it showed no inconsistencies?

Worrysome. I think I'll stay away from these. Not due to MFR service issues but rather, that kind of blast scares the hell outta me. A free replacement won't bring me back to life or replace my eyeball or pull the hunk of plastic outta my cranium. I had my sights set on this product too.

Now I'm thinking Beretta Storm again. Maybe I oughta just avoid plastic altogether.

Incredible experience.

I have an SU-16C, and having seen the damage the gun did exactly what you want in this situation absent not doing it at all. Glad nobody got hurt.

Had the receiver held together it's liable the pressure would have been greater with perhaps worse results. The pressure will escape somewhere. It escaped in a direction upwards, downwards, and outwards towards the ejection port, not towards the shooter. But I gotta say, I don't want my gun doing this under any circumstances.

Possible bore obstruction? Hard to fathom this from just a bad case, absent of like one contributor said, "pistol powder in a rifle case".

KT is now milling a pressure release cut into the carrier of this model, and the A and B models SU-16 (the C and CA already have cuts for the dust cover that serve this purpose). This should reduce the pressure substantially and may save the receiver and bolt carrier/recoil rod from catastrophic failure as noted.

As usual great service from KT. It's what many of us have come to expect.

Feel free to visit over at the KT owners group. Great groups of guys over there, and alot of info about the practical application of their products.

Never anything remotely resembling this, great thread.

Kel Tec owners group
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Has it had no more problems since you tested it?  

only have about 300 rounds through the replacement. so far it's 100% with zero issues of any kind.

My local fun shop called and said they finally got the PLR-16 that I ordered before Kaboom.  So what's the verdict after shooting the replacement for a while, Beer_Slayer?  

To buy or not to buy?  That is the question.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
To buy or not to buy?  That is the question.

Nevermind.  The question is now moot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#9]

You're putting Barnaul through it!?  Isn't that the steel stuff?

Oh, and why won't this thread die!!!?  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i have around 500 rounds of barnaul 223 <monarch ammo> through it so far with only 2 failures. BOTH were dud primers with good strikes. my confidence is back in this gun and i have no problems shooting it now.

That's a relief.  I had a spare Vortex lying around that has now found a home (although the barrel has a bit more threading than the Vortex can swallow), and the handguards and single point sling are on their way.  Now all I need is another EOTech to complete the package.

ETA:  Yeah, I bought it.  I picked it up this afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info on the flash suppressor.  

The slings are available on Kel-Tec's website.  As I write this, it says they have two in stock.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Tag
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top