Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]

NEW YORK, Dec 31 (Reuters) - All three major U.S. stock indexes finished higher for 2007. Below is the performance for various indexes for the year as well as industry sectors for the Standard & Poor's 500.

Index - Percentage Change

Dow Jones Industrials .DJI +6.43
Standard & Poor's 500 .SPX +3.53
Nasdaq Composite .IXIC +9.81
Russell 1000 large cap .RUI +3.86
Russell 2000 small cap .RUT -2.75
Standard & Poor's Midcap 400 +6.69

S&P Sector Performance

Energy +32.38
Materials +19.99
Utilities +15.81
Information Technology +15.53
Consumer Staples +11.60
Industrials +9.83
Telecommunications +8.45
Health Care +5.39
Consumer Discretionary -14.32
Financials -20.84

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump back to top(so it doesn't go away and so I can find it easier, lol)
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I to the jedi but I question this data. In one of the best times to have stayed invested in say the wilshire 5000 or s&p500 both broad low cost indices 1991-2004 people whom stayed the course IMO would have got whats comming to them. Like about about 9%+ per yr,  averaged out over 15yrs unless I'm reading the post wrong. Its not you AR-Jedi, its the data I'm questioning

i think you should re-read that article.  it is from a financial services newsletter, and the gist is that an academic study found that people who invest in load funds underperform people who invest in no-load funds.  not surprisingly, some folks who work in the financial services sector don't like that conclusion -- since their paychecks come from selling load funds and they would prefer that their income continue unabated.

Quoted:
as should "you" being a "individual in the buissness".

i have no idea what you mean by this.

as i have noted prior in this forum, i am an R&D (engineering) manager at a multinational telecommunications equipment company.  i am not an "individual in the business", if you are implying that i am a broker, adviser, consultant, or anything else related to financial services.  

i think you have me confused with someone who regularly posts info without disclosure, namely that he sells the load funds he is "recommending" to forum readers.  i have chastised him at least 5 times about this, and he has mostly corrected his behavior.

ar-jedi

BTT: O' my mistake, I'd thought you were "in the Financial field" of employment. But then that would'nt sit straight with your "common sense" type, DIY and No load fund investment plain talk information. FWIW I'm sure all here are delighted-helped by your information, My reading/writing context is lacking because of previous brain trauma. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
great info, updated for 2007:
www.callan.com/resource/periodic_table/pertbl.pdf

ar-jedi
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top