Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
There is no doubt that your dad is Very talented, but I'd have a quick look at This Page first, before you say how original the toys are.

I'm not trying to be critical, I just thought I'd seen those toys before...somewhere.

Tall Shadow

I watched him cut them out from stock wood. These are from scratch, and 100% out of his mind. You can see the differences between his and those. Those are pre-cut shit. Look at the wheels on his grader....you won't find another set like that. He made them from absolute scratch.

They are similar because they are based on similar things.

The grader is based on pictures from Cat's website, the dozer based off pictures he took at a contstruction site, the helicopter off a toy I had as a kid, and the excavator off pictures from a site.

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, those are fantastic. Great detail
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
There is no doubt that your dad is Very talented, but I'd have a quick look at This Page first, before you say how original the toys are.

I'm not trying to be critical, I just thought I'd seen those toys before...somewhere.

Tall Shadow hed
They are similar because they are based on similar things.

The grader is based on pictures from Cat's website, the dozer based off pictures he took at a contstruction site, the helicopter off a toy I had as a kid, and the excavator off pictures from a site.

Those are just plans you have to build the rest from scratch. Other than them both being the same model of a real object that's where the similarities end. Awesome planning and work.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
That's very neat, your dad does good work....neat toys.

There's a guy in my town, a Korean guy, that does toys but he HAND CARVES them, and they're stunning...looks like a mold spits them out but it's all just his hands. Super impressive.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]

VERY cool.   Some day I'll get around to making some wood toys.  They really ARE a lot of fun to do.  Not sure my two little nieces would know what to DO with a dozer or an excavator tho !    I've always loved making things from scratch too.  It's extremely satisfying when you actually DON'T mangle something !  hahaha

I've seen a guy a few years back who made custom cars like this, with the different species of exotic woods from all over the world for color and texture accents.  He'd make whatever you ordered as long as pictures could be had.  He'd done a bunch of old musclecars and antique cars for people.  Full interiors, engines, suspensions... Everything.  They were absolutely stunning, in every sense of the word.  They were REAL spendy. but had I the money I'd have paid whatever he wanted for one.  They were THAT good.  

I'd LOVE to have that kind of talent, but I don't think I'd have enough patience.  I can TOTALLY relate to the "stay the hell away from the garage/shed/etc when things needed done over" issue.   Maybe I'll wait a couple more years till I'm too old and tired to have the energy to fling shit into the walls.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 1:31:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Way cool. Can he build the D9 in the Israeli armored version with the .50 cal and armor.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 2:24:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 3:51:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Great stuff but they got little kids in the phillipines and china who do the same stuff

seriously, its nice to see someone so talented they can do that....and who actually has the time to do that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:08:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They look great!

Now buy him a nice mill for fathers day and a box of 80% receivers  and get back to us in a few months!

No shit!  The talent is obviously there, he's just lacking the proper equipment!

Group buy / set him up in a tool shop as a distinguished ARFCOM toolmaker.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:22:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That stuff is amazing!
+100
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:41:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Very cool stuff. I dated a girl when I was station in CA. They had a family friend that was a surgeon and he made wooden puzzles to relax. He really did some amazing work and had a great stash of different woods. I'm lucky to cut a straight line with my miter saw.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Those are nice but how about some wood M16A1 stocks
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:48:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Unbelievably beautiful!!!

You father has a very special talent.  Those are really something.    
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#14]
truly the most impressive woodworking I have ever seen
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:05:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Awsome work. That attention to detail and the skill to implement it is impressive indeed.

I wish I had some pics of my Dads stuff. There are quite a few furniture pieces that
will be in our family for generations. A true craftsman.

I am sure your Dad and mine would have some interesting discussions over a cup of Joe.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#17]
How about a 1:1 scale Tiger tank?  Someone built a 1:1 M-3 Grant tank out of plywood.

Your father is really talented
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:26:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Upon reading the title I was ready to call BS..

BUT I quickly changed my mind after seeing the pics- your dads ability is amazing.. I hope the members of your family realize how special these items are and appreciate his work..

Brian
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They look great!

Now buy him a nice mill for fathers day and a box of 80% receivers  and get back to us in a few months!

I keep telling him to make a 1911 out of wood. How cool would that be? Doesn't have to function, or even have the slide move. Just a 1911 out of wood would be sweet.

I would love to see it.  I'd also likely buy one, if that were an option.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:43:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Your dad does very good work, there's no doubt about that.  But I'd like to contend that my dad is at least as talented as yours, if not more.  He's done lots of toys like that over the years, including a full wooden train set to go around the bottom of the Christmas tree.  If it can be made out of wood, my dad can do it.  I'll see your pics and raise you these.

My dad also uses no paints or stains, just uses the natural colors of different woods to enhance his work.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Your dad does very good work, there's no doubt about that.  But I'd like to contend that my dad is at least as talented as yours, if not more.  He's done lots of toys like that over the years, including a full wooden train set to go around the bottom of the Christmas tree.  If it can be made out of wood, my dad can do it.  I'll see your pics and raise you these.

i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/Glockgirl26/DSCN1316-1.jpg

i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/Glockgirl26/DSCN1318.jpg

i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/Glockgirl26/DSCN1321.jpg

i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/Glockgirl26/DSCN1317.jpg

My dad also uses no paints or stains, just uses the natural colors of different woods to enhance his work.

I don't know about that, I'll have to raise you a fit luger case. Gun fits like a glove. My Grandpa captured and carried the Luger during WWII and gave it to me when I was 13. He had my dad build that case for it.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#23]
WOW very nice , he is a talented man.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top