Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I've posted Monday evening's update at the start of the thread

efxguy
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Man I hope he gets well soon!

I would sell a kidney to make sure I had enough money pay for the treament for my dogs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Once again I hope he pulls through, in any case you know you've done all you can for him.    
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The cats say "Get Well!"

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Man I hope he gets well soon!

I would sell a kidney to make sure I had enough money pay for the treament for my dogs.

Big +1 on that!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks so much for all the thoughts and prayers. The emotional supprt we've been getting has been remarkable.

I posted Tuesday morning's update at the start of the thread.

Again, thanks,

efxguy
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't imagine being in your position...  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#9]
God Bless you and Buckaroo. You both will ne in our prayers.      Norman & Beth
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I posted an update on Tuesday evening to the start of the thread.

Things are not looking any better and I'm getting tired of using the sad smiley icon in my posts. I really wish I could post a happy ending here.

I still hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Please, as much as I hate to ask, keep the thoughts and prayers coming.

efxguy

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#11]
i'd say it will be a long recovery.  ask an orthopedist how many human beings live with UNTREATED herniated discs....shocking.  healing will take months...be patient.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Prayers ongoing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Read the posts. You have to say goodbye. My Sateene an Bleaux, Chocolate and Black Labs, give me so much love... I can not even imagine your pain, but you have tried everything, and given him a chance when others would not have. Send him home.... He wants to stay because he loves you... You will see him again.... Somewhere happier than this earth.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Sometimes you have to give it more time than may seem reasonable.  My little buddy is sitting next to me right now.  He had trouble breathing one day and I rushed him to the vet.  He had a fluid buildup that was putting pressure on his lungs.  The vet doubted he'd live another day or two.  That was about 7 years ago.

I didn't want to give up on him too soon.  I kept taking him in to have his chest drained via a fairly large gague needle.  He's a tough little cat and didn't even so much as whine when he got stuck.

All this blathering to say, wait until you feel it's right not to go on.  If your dog isn't able to rehab sufficiently, you'll know and do the right thing.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Aw man. I hate these threads.

Just do EVERYTHING you can do and give him the chance. I seriously hope he gets better.

If things go bad, at least you did all you could. It won't be much comfort but it would kill you to have not done it.

I went through something like this last year so I understand. Hard, hard shit.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#16]
tag, hoping for a happy ending
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#17]
keep up the faith, prayers for yall prayed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#18]
he looks a lot like 2 of mine also. God willing he gets well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Try not to lose hope yet, give him some time.   It's a traumatic surgery and some just need a while longer than others to pull through it.   If he doesnt make it you know you've gone the extra mile to help him.   I'm glad to hear you didnt have him put down before trying everything you could to save him.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Well we did not lose hope and it seems that more time is what the ol' Buckaroo needed. I added today's update at the start of the thread.

I can't beleive how many people I have never met and don't know have been so supportive of us in this difficult time.

A big thanks from the four of us.

efxguy
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well we did not lose hope and it seems that more time is what the ol' Buckaroo needed. I added today's update at the start of the thread.

I can't beleive how many people I have never met and don't know have been so supportive of us in this difficult time.

A big thanks from the four of us.

efxguy

Hang in there. I'm sure you are tired and emotionally spent.

Sounds like Buck just had the wind knocked out of his sails and is trying to get it together.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
please see what happens after a few days...................... he is as confused as you are. Putting down an animal of any sort is something that will haunt you for a long time.......... even more so a fellow partner.

Oh, whatever.  It isn't a person.

We took our 15 year old cat, which I had been around from kitten to the end, to the vet since he was confused, "uncomfortable", and clearly nearing the end.  The vet gave us some vitamins and told us to wait, so, of course, he starts moaning in the middle of the night and dies an hour later.

Haunt you for a long time?  Not if you are emotionally healthy and able to rationalize that sometimes enough is enough.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#23]
All I can say is that at this point, give it some time, you might be surprised.

A couple of years ago, the cat of a family I am good friends with got hurt. He jumped from a kitchen chair, and somehow it tipped, and the back of the chair landed squarely on his spine. The cat couldn't move his back legs, they rushed it to the vet, and found out it actually broke its spine.

The first vet told them there was nothing to be doen, but put him down. Another vet disagreed, and asked permission to take him home and take care of him to see what would happen. Well, after a few weeks of tending to it, feeding him, helping him go to the bathroom, massaging, and working his legs, he made a miraculous recovery.

He call Mike and Nancy, and they went and got him. The vet didn't charge them for anything but consumables...and now Speedy is happy and in good health. He is a little careful when jumping, but he is alive, and living a good life with basically no repercussions.

Don't do anything hasty, he may surprise you! I am hoping for the best....its hard, I just had to put my 15 year old cat to sleep a few weeks ago. It sucked.

But I went to the SPCA and adopted two new guys to keep me and my other cat company, and they are great. They don't make me forget my old pal, but they help take my mind off her....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
please see what happens after a few days...................... he is as confused as you are. Putting down an animal of any sort is something that will haunt you for a long time.......... even more so a fellow partner.

Compared to many "persons" some of whom post on message boards, I'd rather save a dog.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
 I personaly would rather have my best friend next to me as long as possible mroe then any amount of cash in the world... s

So, and please answer this seriously... you'd spend your life savings of say... 100,000 dollars, and deny your family and yourself the security and retirement options that would entail to keep your dog alive using heroic measures for say... 15 weeks of multiple surgeries/intensive care/experimental treatments, etc...?

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

We took our 15 year old cat, which I had been around from kitten to the end, to the vet since he was confused, "uncomfortable", and clearly nearing the end.  The vet gave us some vitamins and told us to wait, so, of course, he starts moaning in the middle of the night and dies an hour later.

Haunt you for a long time?  Not if you are emotionally healthy and able to rationalize that sometimes enough is enough.

Dude, kind of a strange response coming from the likes of you, being the liberal sounding type you come off as...

Come to think of it, judging by your posts...if I had a choice between the dog and you, who do you think I'd choose?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Compared to many "persons" some of whom post on message boards, I'd rather save a dog.

There's that non-emotional, hard nosed conservative logic I've heard about around here.

Sigh.....

You think if you devalue a persons life and can rationalize trading it for a dog, that you have any business in a serious conversation about morality, ethics, crime, etc... ?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, kind of a strange response coming from the likes of you, being the liberal sounding type you come off as...

Come to think of it, judging by your posts...if I had a choice between the dog and you, who do you think I'd choose?

Well, there you have it folks.  Black and white.  Some people on here will sacrifice humans over dogs if they don't like the human.

It doesn't need to be a murder, rapist, or other depraved type... If you merely post things that irritate people, your life is worth less than a dogs.

Believe me, pal, PETA has nothing on you.  At least they're honest about their peculiar obsessions.  You probably post things on other threads that make you sound like a sensible, no-nonsense type.

I know better.  I would have hoped for more, but perhaps what I've suspected all along is true.  Some of you guys are absolutely incapable of living up to the words you preach when it comes to emotional/personal/subjective entanglements.

You, pal, need some help, perspective, and to get out of your little enclave of homogenous nonsense here on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Fast_Jimmy, please leave this thread and do us all a favor and leave the board. You seem to do nothing but shit on posts that are worth anything... To answer your question , YES i would do what i had to , to save the life of either of my dogs.  Any animal that will chase down a 5 year old, grab him by the back of his shirt and pull him to the ground, to keep him from running into a state rout hiway is worth any amount of money to me.  Yes i have a 2 year old black lab that did just that. I praise her for saveing my nephews life only 5 feet from a fairly busy two lane state hiway. Five people yelled at him to stop but he wanted a ball that had been knocked into the road. He ignored all people present, and my lab, full sprint cought him before he hit the blacktop, pulled him to the ground and kept him there till an adult go to him.  As said before, yes any amount of money !

Well, there you have it folks. Black and white. Some people on here will sacrifice humans over dogs if they don't like the human

I find it funny the dogs arent bitching about saveing the lives of humans every day. Ask any K-9 officer how he feels about his partner.  God created everything on this planet, what makes a humans life more valuable than a dogs? Humans are by far the most advanced form of life on this planet, or at least we like to believe that. When we are gone there are many species that will survive human life and  will continue to exist. We are not the best.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow.  You should have told your lifesaving story with the original post... since it's a good story.

The last person that I talked to that said she'd spend 10000 dollars to save her cat was an enormous woman working for us that had bilked the company out of nearly 16000 in cash cooking the books on customer credits.  How she spent it seemed to be to meet ethnically varied men on the internet, reveal her physical limitations, and pay their way to visit the area for a few days of... whatever.

Clearly your situation is different.  As far as me leaving the board... no way.  

As far as some of the other borderline lunatical reactions I've gotten from some others on this board, I would choose to preserve a human life over a dogs life in any situation/any instance excepting a human, ie, rapist/murderer, who wasn't worth preserving.

Seems like a sensible policy.  To do otherwise is to absolutely justify the extreme animal fascist views of organizations like PETA.  

Call me astonished that people can rationalize this in their moments of anger.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Wow.  You should have told your lifesaving story with the original post... since it's a good story.

The last person that I talked to that said she'd spend 10000 dollars to save her cat was an enormous woman working for us that had bilked the company out of nearly 16000 in cash cooking the books on customer credits.  How she spent it seemed to be to meet ethnically varied men on the internet, reveal her physical limitations, and pay their way to visit the area for a few days of... whatever.

Clearly your situation is different.  As far as me leaving the board... no way.

As far as some of the other borderline lunatical reactions I've gotten from some others on this board, I would choose to preserve a human life over a dogs life in any situation/any instance excepting a human, ie, rapist/murderer, who wasn't worth preserving.

Seems like a sensible policy.  To do otherwise is to absolutely justify the extreme animal fascist views of organizations like PETA.  

Call me astonished that people can rationalize this in their moments of anger.  

OK then, how about just leaving this thread and picking this topic up under another heading? My family and friends are following this on arfcom and imagine how this is looking to their shelterd eyes....

Hell I'll even join in as I have a few opinions on the subject as well, but just not here.

We were looking for help and support and advice, not bickering.

Thanks.

efxguy
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Glad to see he is doing better.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Very glad to hear that he is doing better.  Sometimes it takes then a week or two, so your dog is doing great!  And you are so right about visiting - morale of sick animals is correlated with how well they recover.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come to think of it, judging by your posts...if I had a choice between the dog and you, who do you
think I'd choose?

I'd choose my dog over him anyday :)

-d
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

OK then, how about just leaving this thread and picking this topic up under another heading? My family and friends are following this on arfcom and imagine how this is looking to their shelterd eyes....

No problem.   I believe it was escalated by some of the holier-than-thous, but that's irrelevant.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Been following this, but haven't posted, until now.

You're a good man. I really do hope your dog keeps improving.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I am a dog loving perosn and this is truly a sad story. I hope that it has a happy ending.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Good luck to you and your dog. I hope for the best, and I've been there.

You're right about the difference interaction makes with a sick dog. I've experienced it and it's amazing. Just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully he'll recover.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:22:31 AM EDT
[#39]
I hope your dog keeps on improving!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's that non-emotional, hard nosed conservative logic I've heard about around here.

Sigh.....

You think if you devalue a persons life and can rationalize trading it for a dog, that you have any business in a serious conversation about morality, ethics, crime, etc... ?

Yeah convicted child molster vs. dog...that's a tough call.

Idiot. A human isn't always valuable. I can give you lists of people whose lives are of LESS value than most dogs.

And take your example. You post this shit one a topic about a guy who is trying to do all he can for a loyal pet. And REAL human knows that kinda loyalty deserves ALL the consideration you can give it.

You seem to be one of those kinds of humans where such concepts are completely lost on. Not to mention the fact that you seem to be completely oblivious to what kind of asshole it takes to post this shit on a persons topic who is trying to SAVE his dog.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh.....

Idiot. A human isn't always valuable. I can give you lists of people whose lives are of LESS value than most dogs.

And take your example. You post this shit one a topic about a guy who is trying to do all he can for a loyal pet. And REAL human knows that kinda loyalty deserves ALL the consideration you can give it.

You seem to be one of those kinds of humans where such concepts are completely lost on. Not to mention the fact that you seem to be completely oblivious to what kind of asshole it takes to post this shit on a persons topic who is trying to SAVE his dog.

Wow,  StyrAUG, Fast_Jimmy agreed to drop this subject on this thread. I wish you would too.

Start a new thread with your topic, I'm sure it will be a good one.

Sincerely,

efxguy
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh.....

Wow,  StyrAUG, Fast_Jimmy agreed to drop this subject on this thread. I wish you would too.

Sincerely,

efxguy

Sorry, didn't read the whole topic before I posted.

Will drop it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.....

Sincerely,

efxguy

Sorry, didn't read the whole topic before I posted.

Will drop it.

Thanks, you are both gentlemen in every sense.

efxguy
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I've posted an update this Thursday evening at the start of this thread.

We hope to try to bring the Buckaroo home soon. I think that his recovery will be better at here.

The hospital is a nice place and the folks there really care about him, but he misses his home.

efxguy
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Shit like this tears me up. I have 2 dogs that are my best friends, I dread the day something happens. I feel for your family and your dog. Hang in there bud, my prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#47]
You're a good person, I hope everything gets better for you and Buck
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the update.  I would do everything I could for my two dogs as well.  They are members of the family just like anyone else.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Sounds to me like Buck was to much of a gentleman to go in his kennel where the ladies would have to clean it up.
Best wishes for the "old man".
Sounds like you got the right idea for rehabilitation and home care.
Didn't see anything on kids but if you have any make sure to talk to them about Buck's condition because kids think if they are home from the hospital that means they are all better.

Once again best wishes for Buck and his family.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm glad he'll be going home with you.   Even if he doesnt recover it will be a more comfortable place for him.   He probably gets a bit lonely in the kennel at night and it will be good for him to go home and be with his family.    
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top