Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/26/2006 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#1]
you mentioned combat engineer. that's a good MOS. i spend almost 7 years in the Marine Corps reserve as an engineer, and while slightly different in structure, the mission is still essentially the same. nothing like playing with explosives!

crew chief is another good one, however, you can't just go in as a crew chief. you would need to go in as aviation mechanic (like blackhawk mechanic) and then you have to bust your ass and do well and the unit will select you to become a crew chief. good luck!
Link Posted: 9/26/2006 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Great job!

My experience is with Ranger Batt and SF, but I can talk about most combat arms as I have over 20 years in.

First off, don't even think about carrying a pack until you are under 200#. You are already carrying a big pack!

Second be careful about cardio or running etc, don't overdo it, your joints and all your connective tissue is not strong and any jumping and running must be in moderation. Make yourself injury proof.

1946 Army PT manual is a great place to start. dragondoor.com, matt furey,crossfit, etc. all good workouts. I suggest you don't need to spend andy money on  a program though.

Be real careful with crossfit until you are in shape. Do as many bodyweight exercises as you can.

Actually after saying don't spend money. Colgans "new power program" is just about made for someone in your position. It is a six month program, that puts you in position to really get in shape. It's a very safe program. I'm sure someone will knock it down in a few posts, but it's pretty solid for beginners IMO (thats if you like a structured program)

Walk off-road as much as possible, even in the grass if you don't have trails. The uneven terrain will build important strength in your ankles, knees, hips, etc.

ASVAB and GT score are not the same. GT score is what is used to determine what job you get. It is derived from the ASVAB.

You have probably a year to go to get the weight off and get in shape, so don't rush. Start doing mind game books or asvab books which you can get from the library, just to get your mind back in shape.

email me any time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2006 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Great job!

My experience is with Ranger Batt and SF, but I can talk about most combat arms as I have over 20 years in.

First off, don't even think about carrying a pack until you are under 200#. You are already carrying a big pack!
I dont really plan on getting much below 200, maybe 195?
Second be careful about cardio or running etc, don't overdo it, your joints and all your connective tissue is not strong and any jumping and running must be in moderation. Make yourself injury proof.
Yeah, allready noticed that, my left knee is getting swollen a little. Opps!
1946 Army PT manual is a great place to start. dragondoor.com, matt furey,crossfit, etc. all good workouts. I suggest you don't need to spend andy money on  a program though.

Be real careful with crossfit until you are in shape. Do as many bodyweight exercises as you can.

Actually after saying don't spend money. Colgans "new power program" is just about made for someone in your position. It is a six month program, that puts you in position to really get in shape. It's a very safe program. I'm sure someone will knock it down in a few posts, but it's pretty solid for beginners IMO (thats if you like a structured program)

Walk off-road as much as possible, even in the grass if you don't have trails. The uneven terrain will build important strength in your ankles, knees, hips, etc.
I plan on starting that this week, really think I shouldn't use a pack/weight?
ASVAB and GT score are not the same. GT score is what is used to determine what job you get. It is derived from the ASVAB.

You have probably a year to go to get the weight off and get in shape, so don't rush. Start doing mind game books or asvab books which you can get from the library, just to get your mind back in shape.
Yeah, I need to check the library or bookstore for something.

email me any time.

_RANNAR_   Thanks for the tips!  I appreciate it!

Travis
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#4]
My fighting weight is only 175-185#, which means you are carrying a 70# pack minimum, at all times in comparison to me.

I had a buddy who was always overweight and was also really strong, but when it came to moving fast with or without a ruck, I'd leave him in the dust. He could not understand it, he was twice as strong as me but I could move at say 10 minute miles while he was moving at 13 with a full pack. I tried to tell him many times that I was carrying 70#, he was carrying 70# plus our difference in body weight (another 70#) how did he expect to move like me with a 140# ruck?

Joints take a lot longer than muscles to get strong (3-4 times longer)

go here to see how light the army wants you to be. (don't get disappointed)
http://www.hooah4health.com/4You/bmi.htm

Link Posted: 9/27/2006 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Ranger _RAGNAR_,

I'm training for the 18X program myself.  Would it be all right if I e-mailed you (particularly in regards to rucking)?  Your input would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Justin
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Feel free
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Feel free

Thank you Ranger _RAGNAR_!  E-mail will be in-bound this evening.

Justin
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Tell me more. Is this seriously something I could do?

Isn't there an age limit for Special Forces? If not,I'd love to go for it! That would be the ultimate accomplishment.

307lbs to Special Forces! Hell Ya!!

Travis

I am 37 and getting myself a transfer from Reserves to Alabama NG to 20th SFG.  I think I am in shape for SFAS but I am afraid my age will be the limiting factor.  I will give it 100% but will be pissed off but understanding if it is my age that causes me not to get selected.

For weight loss do not do Atkins or any crash diets.  You need to change a diet into a permanent eating plan.  I eat lots of whole wheat, soy products, fruits, and vegetables.  Low fat.  Boca Burgers and the Boca chicken patties are pretty good.  Chicken, egg whites are good cheap sources of protein, forget the bars and shakes, egg whites are cheap.  Building muscle an endurance requires nutrients you cannot get from a crash diet.  And ditto on lots of water, at least 1 gal a day preferrably 2.  Treat yourself to one cheat day a week.

You can lose weight fast by increasing the fat burning endurance stuff.  If you can't run, which at 270 is not a good idea if you like your knees and lower back, walk and walk far and fast.  If you have the time do 2 a days.  Walk 2 to 4 miles in the AM and then again at night.  You will find your body burning calories constantly.  If you have the choice of stairs or elevator use stairs.  Park you car far away from work and walk.  It all adds up.

I have gone from 240 to 185 in about 12 months using this common sense method.  I started walking 2 miles a day and now I run 25 miles a week with a couple of 6 mile 65 lbs ruck marches thrown in.  When you start to run go to a good running store or online dealer like Road Runner Sports and get some good shoes for your style of running (gait), mileage, and weight, and surface type.  Don't trust Foot Locker.  Expect to change these shoe every 3 to 4 months to keep proper cushioning and shock absorption

At our age if you feel any sort of injuries coming on don't tylenol them, back off a bit and let your body recuperate.  Your body knows what it can do.

Remember what nobody wants to, eat less and exercise.

I am with you my brother.

Link Posted: 9/27/2006 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I know it's not easy, but you might want to think about throwing in some weight training and cardio.

It really helps with the metabolism. I drop from 240 to 190 (contest shape) in only a couple months with appropriate diet and training, I know that you can cut it down to 200 before you ship out buddy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]
There is no age limit for SF. I know a 41, 42, and 44yo that have graduated in the last three years. BUT and that is a big BUT. they all had significant prior experience in Specops. Age IS NOT a factor for selection or getting selected, performance is.

I'd start with 2-3 years in the Army first, either in Airborne or Ranger batt, if SF is what you really want to do. The 18X program (enlist of the street) is very, very chancy, I'd say less than 10% completion rate. Everybody should chase their own dreams….but reality is always there. If you really want to try 18X I’ll tell you what I can (which will require a lot more conditioning than just joining the army, if you don’t make it you’re still in the infantry and probably an airborne unit,  probably the 82nd, which is not a bad thing really)

Now before I give you advice, I want to tell you where I'm coming from so you know how to take it. I successfully served four years in the Ranger Regiment, two in Batt, two in RRD, and graduated LOT's of courses at the top. When I went SF I never finished under the top ten percent in any event. My SFAS finished with a 26mile road march 75# on dirt roads. I finished in 5:14, that’s 12 minute miles for 26 miles. That’s not to talk trash, just to give a reference point.

I would not do any exercise two hard sessions a day, and not even two days in a row. Walk, run, swim, bike, row, stairs, hills, trails, wind sprints, change it up and train as hard as you can without injuring yourself. IMO weights should be part of your training, as should body weight exercises.

Everybody has different ideas on diet. I can tell you I don’t know anybody in SpecOps that eats tofu! The vast majority eat somewhere between Zone-ish and Atkins-ish. Medium to low carbs (eat all the green stuff you can, watch the white stuff), medium to low fats, lot’s of meat. But to each his own, if you can fuel yourself through events and are the proper weight I guess you are eating right.

The shoe advice is spot on, the place I get my running shoes is staffed by national champions and they film your gait, etc and try you with 20 pairs of shoes. It is worth it, as are orthotics. Probably don’t need to worry yet, but think about it in when you start getting closer to your target weight. Plus if you are not running every day it is less important to have perfect insoles or shoes. I’m trying to keep you from spending money because being in awesome shape doesn’t require it.

Working out hard twice a day is suggested, just make them very different workouts. But, once again you are starting from way, way behind. Don't hurt yourself before you even get started. If all you can do is 15 minutes hard, fine. do it again in the evening. Pretty soon you'll be doing 20-30 minutes of hard ass work per session.

If you find an exercise you are really good at and like, do something else! hah, never let yourself do what you are good at all the time, that is how you will get an over-use injury. (I've had them all)
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Not Tofu, I said manly soy bean Boca Burgers.  Quite a bit of protein in them and very low fat.  Makes a nice hamburger replacement.

I would not do any exercise two hard sessions a day, and not even two days in a row. Walk, run, swim, bike, row, stairs, hills, trails, wind sprints, change it up and train as hard as you can without injuring yourself.

I am not suggesting long runs twice a day but I think walking would be ok.  I had no injury issues with it, maybe I was lucky.  A nice 15 minute pace.

My SFAS finished with a 26mile road march 75# on dirt roads. I finished in 5:14, that’s 12 minute miles for 26 miles. That’s not to talk trash, just to give a reference point.

That's flying on the road march.  I did the EIB at about a minute faster per mile but much less weight and only 12 miles.  Very impressive.

IMO weights should be part of your training, as should body weight exercises.

I am have a cheap Gold's Gym membership thru my employer, I should have suggested that as well, great advice.

Link Posted: 9/27/2006 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Not trying to dog you, I just don't believe soy is good for you. I don't think doing the same exercise even two days in a row is a good idea unless you are in very good shape, even then it's maybe not smart. It's just not worth the chance of joint injury. There is no reason to inflame the ankles and knees through repetitive exercise when there are so many exercises to choose from. Especially when 50-70# overweight. When in it for the long haul you have train as smart as possible, especially when you are 10-20 years older than everyone else.

Good 12 miler for EIB. My best 12 was 2:04, but those days are long gone.

Getting through SF is a long, long trail (and long, long off topic) you have to be in great shape and absolutely injury proof. Injuries are the bane of all who try SF, but worse for those well out of their prime.
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:

Apparently the GED thing is going limit me on jobs, but I will keep checking.

Thanks,

Travis

Any Army recruiters here?  I had a younger employee of mine that tried to enlist over a year ago.  He was a high school drop out but had his GED.  He was told he had to get 15 college credits to even start the process of enlisting since he only had a GED.

Link Posted: 10/12/2006 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump for update #3 in first post

Travis
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Bump for update #3 in first post

Travis

good job!

keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, I started the "ruck walks" last night, whew what a work out!

I got a cheap backpack at Wally, guessing that I filled it with 35-40 lbs of dirt.  I dont have a scale, but it has some weight to it.  I am walking on my property, it is exactly 1 mile one time around the hay feild.  .10 mile to get there from the house, so I did 2.2 miles last night and this morning.

In a week I hope to do 3 laps.

I got some chafing(sp?) on my lower back from the pack.  Not sure if that is just because I am not used to it or if it is because it is a cheap one?

Anyhow, seems to be ok, planning on doing this every day.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks a lot everyone,

Travis

Link Posted: 10/14/2006 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I got some chafing(sp?) on my lower back from the pack.  Not sure if that is just because I am not used to it or if it is because it is a cheap one?
Travis

Sounds like it's moving around too much on your back.  My experience is with civvie pleasure backpacking so it's applicability to military training and use might not be spot-on, but when dragging 40lbs or so around you need a pack with perfectly fitted shoulder straps and a quality hip belt.  Most of the weight should rest on the hips, so the belt should be adequately padded and about as tight as comfortable PLUS a tug.  The shoulder straps guide the pack and keep it close to your body, but the weight is on the hips.  I'm pretty skinny (and was much skinnier!), and I frequently had problems with a cheap pack rubbing at my hip bones.  At first I figured I'd toughen up, but eventually after stuffing socks in my waistbelt and bleeding through them I just gave up and bought a pack with a higher quality hip belt.  In my case, a nice Jansport internal frame monster.  You could see from the design that they had actually designed it for someone with hips (!).
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
you know you can buy a military ALICE pack with frame and kidney pad on ebay and train with the real thing you will be using.  they are real cheap there and in surplus stores.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I swear to god, if you join anything other than Special Forces or Aviation-Crew Chief/Door Gunner, I will beat you.

Do you honestly believe you have the depth and breadth of experience in the Army to make such a blanket implication?

I've been playing this game for over 13 years and I am still finding out about MOS's, units, and such I had never heard of or worked with.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 4:17:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I swear to god, if you join anything other than Special Forces or Aviation-Crew Chief/Door Gunner, I will beat you.

Do you honestly believe you have the depth and breadth of experience in the Army to make such a blanket implication?

I've been playing this game for over 13 years and I am still finding out about MOS's, units, and such I had never heard of or worked with.

Nope, but in my opinion, which is what a poster's posting is, those are really the only 2 viable options.

If you love computers and networking, go commo!  If you love working on vehicles, go mechanic!  If you love driving a truck, drive a truck!  If you want to build bridges, blow stuff up, go engineer!

Its up to each person, me personally, I joined Infantry to get out and do things, not be stuck in an office or a Bulldozer or under a 998 working on it.  
DoorGunner/CC, imo, is one of the better jobs.  You get to fly and work with a small team and have a small team atmosphere.
SF, well, that just goes without saying.

As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, this is really inspirational.  Keep up the great work.

My situation is almost identical to yours Travis, in terms of weight, age, right down to years of marriage!

I spent 6 years in the USAF ('86-92) and would like to join back up (Nurse Corps), knocked out the degree - but the weight remains a barrier.

Reading your post and updates has convinced me to get serious and make it happen.  

I salute you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#22]
keep up the good work travis.

my suggestion is for more pushups through out the day and none before bed, just drop and push out what you can during a commercial or while surfing arfcom, and always try to increase your numbers. while the apft requires situps they can be hard on your back, i would suggest crunches with a situp test every so often.

also consider preparing yourself for heavier cardio workouts, time a 1 mile run/jog/walk giving your all and improve from there. buy some quality running shoes if you can. last but not least stay ontop of your flexibility, stretch through out the day, maybe after pushups or just sitting at the desk or whenever.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wow, this is really inspirational.  Keep up the great work.

My situation is almost identical to yours Travis, in terms of weight, age, right down to years of marriage!

I spent 6 years in the USAF ('86-92) and would like to join back up (Nurse Corps), knocked out the degree - but the weight remains a barrier.

Reading your post and updates has convinced me to get serious and make it happen.  

I salute you.

Well I am glad I could be an insperation to someone!

But all you guys here giving me advice and such really helps me a lot!

I know I will reach my goals through the support of familly and this site, thanks.

Travis
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey guys thanks for the tips on the backpack, I kinda figured mine was not fitting right and it was a cheap one.

I will check out a surplus store for the real deal, I should of thought of that myself!

I did get a scale and checked the weight, 57.4 lbs.

I think I will stick with that, and just add laps, planning to work up to 5 laps, so 5.2 miles.

I will still be doing my regular exercise at the gym, and progressing there as the trainer sees fit.

I will be working my way up to running soon, trianer is helpping me with that.

Diet is going good, hungry some days, but most of the time I am fine, eating around 1400-1500 calories a day.

As far as MOS I am waiting till I get closer to enlisting and can talk seriously with a recruiter, I may try to push for the Marines if they will take an old fart like me!

thanks again to every one,

Travis
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#25]
If noone has said this about water it needs to be said.

You body will burn more when you drink COLD water.  It has to heat the water to use it.  If you drink warm/ room temp water it will simple go down the drain....lol after the bidy uses what it needs.

You body will not understand it has enough water and let it go out until it heats it, so drink COLD water to burn more cals and drink warm or room temp water to replenish.  If on a diet always drink cold water.  If you are in danger of heat exhaustion drink warm, not hot or cold water.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If noone has said this about water it needs to be said.

You body will burn more when you drink COLD water.  It has to heat the water to use it.  If you drink warm/ room temp water it will simple go down the drain....lol after the bidy uses what it needs.

You body will not understand it has enough water and let it go out until it heats it, so drink COLD water to burn more cals and drink warm or room temp water to replenish.  If on a diet always drink cold water.  If you are in danger of heat exhaustion drink warm, not hot or cold water.

I never knew that, but I pretty much only drink cold water, so score for me!

Travis
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Travis

Sounds like it's moving around too much on your back.  My experience is with civvie pleasure backpacking so it's applicability to military training and use might not be spot-on, but when dragging 40lbs or so around you need a pack with perfectly fitted shoulder straps and a quality hip belt.  Most of the weight should rest on the hips, so the belt should be adequately padded and about as tight as comfortable PLUS a tug.  The shoulder straps guide the pack and keep it close to your body, but the weight is on the hips.  I'm pretty skinny (and was much skinnier!), and I frequently had problems with a cheap pack rubbing at my hip bones.  At first I figured I'd toughen up, but eventually after stuffing socks in my waistbelt and bleeding through them I just gave up and bought a pack with a higher quality hip belt.  In my case, a nice Jansport internal frame monster.  You could see from the design that they had actually designed it for someone with hips (!).

Thanks for the advice on the pack.   I readjusted mine, and it is much better!  Still need a better one, but this is an improvement.

Thanks again,

Travis
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

my suggestion is for more pushups through out the day and none before bed, just drop and push out what you can during a commercial or while surfing arfcom, and always try to increase your numbers. while the apft requires situps they can be hard on your back, i would suggest crunches with a situp test every so often.

also consider preparing yourself for heavier cardio workouts, time a 1 mile run/jog/walk giving your all and improve from there. buy some quality running shoes if you can. last but not least stay ontop of your flexibility, stretch through out the day, maybe after pushups or just sitting at the desk or whenever.

Thanks for the advice, but I am wondering why you say no push-ups at night?

Thanks,

Travis
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#29]
try to stay natural. I did the south beach diet and lost 25lbs, I went off it, and two months later i had gained the wieght back and then some. I have never had that happen when I did things naturally.it's going to take sometime to loose the wieght but it stays off better!

Quoted:

Quoted:
*nods*

gotta do what works for you and your partner...

atkins -can- seem to be a bit restrictive...

[no mashed potatoes? waaaaaa!]

remember the h2o "thing" though as "enough" water is a necessary part of -any- diet.

[your body lovelovelovessss water]

godspeed!

Yes I am drinking the water, lots of it too!

I know if I cant make my goal doing this diet, I can do Atkins for a couple of months and really knock off some pounds.

Thanks

Travis
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#30]
You are doing good, keep it up.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

Travis

exercise before bed can hurt your sleep patterns even if you dont notice it. being fully rested is very important when you are training
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 2:12:11 AM EDT
[#32]
One thing that really works for me as far as situps is to hold a weight to your chest (10-20lbs) and do the sets this way. Just doing the typical army ab workouts doesnt do too much for me. Doing 3 sets of 30 weighted situps every other day for a week gave me another 10 situps for my max. Im sure if I did them more often Id get well over max. Prior to joining the Army I couldnt do squat as far as situps go. It was painful to get broken in but now its not too big of a deal. When I did those pt sessions with the recruiter Id be so sore I could barely sit down and they were light compared to what we do now.

As far as rucking to me the worst part is the feet. I can deal with the shoulder pain but when the blisters start it bugs the shit out of me. We did a timed 12 mile ruck march earlier this year and I got about 2hr45min and wasnt going 100% since a couple weeks earlier I did 50 miles in 2 days over cross country desert. In basic we started with about 3-4 miles, then 5-6, then about 8 miles. Our last one was 15 miles out and 15 miles back. With loading the ruck put the heaviest items low and closest to your back. If you can use a standard alice ruck which is what you are going to use in the army anyways. Using some high tech civi bag isnt going to help too much.

Link Posted: 10/17/2006 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Keep it up man, best of luck.

Link Posted: 10/17/2006 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

Travis

exercise before bed can hurt your sleep patterns even if you dont notice it. being fully rested is very important when you are training

Curious..I never knew that.

Thanks,

Travis
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Travis, I am in the same boat and have been thinking of joining for a long time.  Many of may relatives and family was in the armed forces.  I was going to go NAVY and my dad, who was in the navy in WWII, talked me out of it.  Now that there is a war on, I was thinking of joining, but thought that I was too old, too fat, and had some medical issues that may not pass.  But I am eager to see if you get in and how it goes.  Good luck.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#36]
* Pardon me if I duplicate any information you have been given. I am working and did not have time to read all of the responses prior to mine.

I have been reading your post with much interest. I am in the National Guard myself, and have been in the Army - active or reserve since 1988. I am currently on seventh enlistment, signed on until August of 2011. I am currently 35 years old, about to turn 36. I will hit the 20 year mark in about 2 years, as I initially went in when I was 17 (My pop signed me away - LOL).

I can offer you a little advice. Your diet and pursuit to get in shape is a most-excellent undertaking. It will definately help you out in the long run. But, you should get in contact with an Army or National Guard recruiter to discuss the gritty details. I am certian that the cut-off age for non-prior service active Army is 34 - and that is with a waiver. The cut-off for the National Guard has been raised to 52, but that is with some prior service. I can try to find out some more information on this if you would like, but the best option would be to get one of the recruiter's on the phone and talk about your options with them.

The active Army will want you at 20% BFI (body fat index), whereas the National Guard will enlist you with up to a 24% BFI (and up to 28% for prior service). To give you an idea, a 20% BFI on a six-foot male would average in at a weight of around 200-210 lbs. A 24% BFI, then the same soldier would weigh in around 230-240lbs. Alot of information feeds into this - such as waist, neck, chest measurements, etc - so these are only ballpark figures.

Sorry I don't know more, but I have been an MP (31B) for the last 18 or so years, never a recruiter. I do think its very honorable for you to seek an enlistment at this time, but just check and make sure that you get the details on exactly what your options are!

Getting ready for boot camp - Your APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) requirements are as follows at your age (I know, I am in the same age group).

• 2 Mile Run within 17:54.
  • 36 Push-ups within 2:00.
  • 42 Sit-ups within 2:00.

The best way to get ready is to give yourself the PT test two to three times a week. You won't even be close the first few times you try it, but that is ok. The point is to see a gradual improvement over time. The first try, you may only do 25 pushups in two minutes. But, in a week or so, you will be doing 27, 28, 29, etc.

The Army Run is the mofo if you are not used to running. I would suggest to practice for this by walking 3 miles daily. After a time, try jogging some of the 3 mile walk. Try to jog a little more daily if possible. Eventually, you will end up running more and more - which will result in your being able to run 3 miles. This will take the longest time for you to master, but you will get it.

Alternative exercises you can do are mountian biking, swimming, or martial arts. All of these will help to improve your overall ability to pass the APFT. I personally like mountian biking because its more fun to me than swimming laps or having a 12-year old pommel my groin area during martial arts practice.

Good luck! If you have any questions, you can drop me a line. I will assist you in any way I can!

Link Posted: 10/17/2006 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
* Pardon me if I duplicate any information you have been given. I am working and did not have time to read all of the responses prior to mine.

I have been reading your post with much interest. I am in the National Guard myself, and have been in the Army - active or reserve since 1988. I am currently on seventh enlistment, signed on until August of 2011. I am currently 35 years old, about to turn 36. I will hit the 20 year mark in about 2 years, as I initially went in when I was 17 (My pop signed me away - LOL).

I can offer you a little advice. Your diet and pursuit to get in shape is a most-excellent undertaking. It will definately help you out in the long run. But, you should get in contact with an Army or National Guard recruiter to discuss the gritty details. I am certian that the cut-off age for non-prior service active Army is 34 - and that is with a waiver. The cut-off for the National Guard has been raised to 52, but that is with some prior service. I can try to find out some more information on this if you would like, but the best option would be to get one of the recruiter's on the phone and talk about your options with them.

The active Army will want you at 20% BFI (body fat index), whereas the National Guard will enlist you with up to a 24% BFI (and up to 28% for prior service). To give you an idea, a 20% BFI on a six-foot male would average in at a weight of around 200-210 lbs. A 24% BFI, then the same soldier would weigh in around 230-240lbs. Alot of information feeds into this - such as waist, neck, chest measurements, etc - so these are only ballpark figures.

Sorry I don't know more, but I have been an MP (31B) for the last 18 or so years, never a recruiter. I do think its very honorable for you to seek an enlistment at this time, but just check and make sure that you get the details on exactly what your options are!

Getting ready for boot camp - Your APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) requirements are as follows at your age (I know, I am in the same age group).

• 2 Mile Run within 17:54.
  • 36 Push-ups within 2:00.
  • 42 Sit-ups within 2:00.

The best way to get ready is to give yourself the PT test two to three times a week. You won't even be close the first few times you try it, but that is ok. The point is to see a gradual improvement over time. The first try, you may only do 25 pushups in two minutes. But, in a week or so, you will be doing 27, 28, 29, etc.

The Army Run is the mofo if you are not used to running. I would suggest to practice for this by walking 3 miles daily. After a time, try jogging some of the 3 mile walk. Try to jog a little more daily if possible. Eventually, you will end up running more and more - which will result in your being able to run 3 miles. This will take the longest time for you to master, but you will get it.

Alternative exercises you can do are mountian biking, swimming, or martial arts. All of these will help to improve your overall ability to pass the APFT. I personally like mountian biking because its more fun to me than swimming laps or having a 12-year old pommel my groin area during martial arts practice.

Good luck! If you have any questions, you can drop me a line. I will assist you in any way I can!

Well I belive the age is 42, but I have talked to a recruiter and am under the impression that if I can meet the pt requirements I will be in.  But I may check into other branches, Marines would be awesome, and when I drop the weight I will approach them, but I called once and they said I was too old.

Anyhow, maybe you could tell me about the NG.  Do the have full time oppertuniteies or is it all part time resrves?

Thanks,

Travis
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Let me think of how to break this down without being too long winded here:

The National Guard is just another division of the US Army. Its primarily a reserve duty. going to drill one weekend a month and going to train for two weeks per year - typically in the summer. The Guard has numerous units spread throughout each state. These units are just like regular Army units - we get the same training, the same equipment, the same uniform, same weapons, etc. Most of my fellow soldiers do their duty at an armory within an hour of their homes - so you can definately be close to the house if you are with the Guard on reserve status.

The Guard is primarily responsible for national disaster / emergency response and for supporting the Regular Army with trained soldiers in a time of war (like now). Think of the Guard as being additional cans of ammo in the back of your SHTF gear. We get called out everytime we are needed. Most of the soldiers fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan right now are Guardsmen.

There are limited full-time job positions within the National Guard that pay the same as the standard US Army pay scale. However, most members are on reserve status. With the current state of the global climate, there are ALOT, and I mean ALOT of deployments going on. Your chances of getting into the Guard and onto an Iraq/Afghanistan deployment are VERY HIGH to say the least. I've been deployed to Iraq twice and didn't even want to go - all for FREE! (LOL)

When you deploy, you go on full-time military pay with the added bonuses. You get your base pay, COLA (cost of living allowance), BAQ (housing allowance), SEPRATS (food allowance), Emminent Danger Pay (or Combat Pay), and Family Seperation Pay. For an E3 (Private First Class) - this can easily be in the area of $3500.00 a month - all tax free.

But, if you were to go full-time as a Guardsman here in the states in a support role, you would be lucky to make $1500.00 a month - which is peanuts. Pay for the regular weekend drill only ends up being around $150.00/mo for a PFC (E3) - then maybe another $700 or so for your two-week drill. Deployment is where to make your money at.

But, I will not lie, deployment is rough. It would be the toughest thing your family might ever deal with in your lifetime. A deployment makes boot camp look like a playground in comparison. You always hear about people talking about a year tour when deployed. What they don't tell you is that you are in Iraq about a year. They leave out the fact that before you go to Iraq, you have 2-8 months of manditory mobilization training with your unit somewhere in the States - and you do not get to come home on weekends. So, you would be seperated from your family for anywhere from 14-20 months total - which is a pretty big downside if you are family-geared type of guy.

As for military life, I am sure you know that some people love it, and some people hate it. A deployment would definately give you a good feel for what being a soldier is all about. Its a once in a lifetime (or for some of us 2-3 time in a lifetime, lol) experience. If you want to get in on a deployment, I would definately suggest the National Guard - after all, it may be your only real choice given some of the constantly-changing rules and regs that are floating around out there.

I am not trying to discourage you in any way here, but I won't sugar coat it at all. I want you to do what it is that will make you ultimately happy. So, I will tell you exactly the way it is so that you can make an informed decision - considering both the good and the bad. If you have any questions, drop another line to me!
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks septhael, I apprecite the info.

I am not worried about being deployed, actually expecting it.  I am looking for a carrer here, so I dont want to be a reserve, but if I could do something full time for them that might work, I need o call a NG recruter and chat.

Thanks,

Travis
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Bump for update in first post.

Please read.

Thanks everyone,

Travis
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I guess this thread is dead, too bad I really enjoyed all the feed back from everyone.  It is great motvation!

Travis
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Just read update #4.

That's fantastic!  6lbs down in 2 weeks is great!  Plus you've doubled your output.  Don't push it too hard or you'll injure yourself and be back at square 1.

I've been hitting the eliptical nearly every day and am seeing improvements.  Haven't really attacked the diet side yet.  Just cut out the McD's so far...

Keep up the progress!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah thanks topknot, I'm not pushing too hard, went from doing push-ups/sit-ups twice a day, to only in the morning and have seen major improvements.

Thanks,

Travis
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I read your thread and am very impressed with your progress and motivation--good on ya'.

Just a suggestion: You can do push ups at slightly different angles (feet on small footstool) and it will work different arm and chest muscles.  Consider it an incline bench press-it works the other way too.  Working different parts of the major muscle groups will increase your overall strength and help you break through plateaus.

Good luck.

bd
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I read your thread and am very impressed with your progress and motivation--good on ya'.

Just a suggestion: You can do push ups at slightly different angles (feet on small footstool) and it will work different arm and chest muscles.  Consider it an incline bench press-it works the other way too.  Working different parts of the major muscle groups will increase your overall strength and help you break through plateaus.

Good luck.

bd

Thanks, I will try that!

Travis
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I just found this thread, and I think its awsome that you've set goals for yourself, to get in shape and serve your country.

The fitness topics have been covered fairly extensively so i'll try to lend some advice on Ruck marching/walking.  

My recommendation would be to purchase a military surplus ALICE pack, and set it up just how you like it ( you may have to try several sets of straps or waist belts, the ones that come on the packs are sometimes very well used, don't be afraid to use 550 cord to fix them)  Anyways, get yourself a good ALICE pack as thats what you'll use at basic.  Set it up in a way that works for you.  Start off with a distance thats achievable for you, 3-5 miles is a good start.  don't worry so much about speed to begin with, just keep at it in order to condition your feet, to get them used to the weight and the walking.  The biggest problem i've seen since being in the army is guys who's feet where just not used to doing that kind of marching, they got blisters and there feet were all ate up.  
  Keep adding weight as you feel comfortable 50-60lbs is a good goal to shoot for.  Also add distance as you feel more confident 12 miles in under 3 hours with 55 lbs( i think) is the Air Assault standard, thats what i use as my personal bench mark.

Just a thought to keep in mind, in my expierence 80% of ruck marching is mental, your brain will give out long before your body if you let it.  Its gonna hurt, and the suckage factor is high, but if you keep telling your brain that your not gonna stop till your done, than you can do it.   I know you can do it, you've already demonstrated it in your goals to lose weight and get in shape.

Good Luck, and anything i can do to help, just drop me a line.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes an ALICE pack is in the future, probally Monday.  Right now I have a regular back pack with 57 lbs in it.  I march 2.2. miles almost everyday, but due to a new work schedule I start next week that may get harder to do.  I will get home after dark so I might try marching in the dark, not sure yet.

Anyhow, after abou 2 weeks of marching with that weight, my time has gone from 45-48 minutes total, to 38 minutes today.  When I get new pack, hopefully it will fit better then I will work on increasing the distance.  Shooting for 3 miles a day with one day of 6 miles.

Thanks to everyone here, it has been a great help sharing with you all.

Thanks,

Travis

Oh yeah, I decided today that I am going to really push for the Marines, even though the sa I am to old.  I called the nearest recruting office today but they were closed, so Monday I am planning to meet with someone.  I really want to see if they will give me a waiver for my age.

If not I know I will make it in the Army, and that will still be a great honor for me to serve that way.

Travis
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#48]
glad to hear your update

many folks i workout with are full of it when it comes to consistent training. it isnt fun and is easy to become complacent. stick to your guns, motivation and dedication are the key.

once you make weight requirements spend some time with recruiters and decide on your branch. the Marine recruiter i met with was very compelling in his speech and a hell of a Marine, but could not offer me the schools i wanted to pursue. my Army recruiter a Ranger offered less in his speech and more of "this shit isnt going to be easy" it just felt right and was able to get schools i wanted in my contract.

also keep in mind that DEP(delayed entry program) is a good thing. you pass your MEPS physical and paperwork is done yet you swear in and deploy on a date you choose up to 1 year out. your DEP time also counts towards you overall enlistment(not active duty) ie your 8 years
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:50:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Good work, keep it up.  It looks like you found a plan and it is working.  2 lbs a week is about all you are going to be able to lose and stay healthy.  Remember to watch your nutrition and protein levels to avoid injury.  Your body needs the tools to repair the damage you do when working out.

Yeah, I am just starting to read up on the nutrition part.  I think I am going to try and introduce more protien, more often.

I will be hecking at my gym tommorow to see if there is a dietition there to help me.

My weight loss seem to be ok, I don't feel weak or hungry so I am going to keep rolling with this for now, but I will be changing the diet soon, if for any reason but to help me build muscle now that my weight is dropping.

Travis
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top