User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's been a while since I was there. What you showed sounds doable in 11 days. I was there for 9 and we did a similar circle. Felt a bit rushed, though.

Cliffs of Mohr are a must see, imho. (check out pics on the web for your own decision). 800 foot cliffs, straight down to the ocean.

Blarney castle was neat. I'm sure there are other castles around. Not sure if all of them cost to get in.

The Muckross house and gardens in Kilarney is SPECTACULAR.

http://images.travelpod.com/tripwow/photos/ta-00a3-15f8-d09e/muckross-house-kenmare-ireland+1152_12857916812-tpfil02aw-5752.jpg

We had one of the "dinner/shows" in one of the castles. I was underwhelmed with the food and show, especially for the price.

Best food to be had is in the pubs. Ask the locals where the best pub to eat is. Also, unless it's changed, you DON"T tip. Seems it's an insult. You have to get a baked potato at least once. I know "it's just a potato" but it was the best one I've ever had. Must be something in the soil or climate.

Seafood seemed to be extremely good. Very fresh.

I was in one pub and they had lamb. I'd never had it and asked about it. The owner said, "You Yanks don't serve real lamb. The farmers are greedy and raise the lamb past the time when you're supposed to and it tastes strong. You order this lamb and if you don't like it, you don't pay". That was one of the most delicious cuts of meat I've ever put in my mouth.

I don't remember there being much to see/do in Cork, other than get lost. Who knew there were TWO rivers running through downtown.

Limerick was kind of a dump.

+1 on the Ring of Kerry (iirc takes you by the Cliffs)

You Mrs. might like Waterford Crystal just south of Dublin. You wallet wouldn't.

Wexford (between Waterford and Dublin) was a nice seaside town. Some of the better food we had was at a pub on some sidestreet, there. Forget the name.

I'll try to drag out my itinerary tonight and see if anything jumps out in my memory.

I do remember that I didn't care for Dublin much at all. Just another big city and not what I'd want to go to Ireland for. The only reason we were there is that is where the jujitsu tournament we came for was held.
View Quote
+1 on this place. we stayed there and were underwhelmed by the upstairs restaurant, but the pub was good. go into town and see the kilarney castle; pretty cool. it's not like there isn't always a castle within sight, but that one was in better shape. get the 'walkaway' insurance for your car. visit trinity university in dublin and go see the book of kells. eat in pubs

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be the dissenting viewpoint here and say that the wife & I loved Dublin. Much cleaner and friendlier then ANY American city I have been to by far. We walked all over the city center for a week taking in the history and culture, and only once would I say we got a little nervous. We walked from city center out towards Kilmainham Gaol, and went through a neighborhood that was a little bit edgy.

Spent a couple days out in the countryside too, amazingly beautiful! Whenever we get back we mean to take in more of the country and smaller towns.

Also, Murphys tastes alright but might as well be eaten with a fork. Guiness is the perfection of beer, and doesn't get any better than at the Storehouse. Jameson tour was pretty cool too, we were there on an off day and the guide gave us some of the 18yr. Very nice to say the least.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
One of Irish decent does not drink the swill of the occupiers in the lands of their fathers.

Plenty of good Irish beer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love Guinness and Murphy's don't get me wrong but make sure and try an Old Speckled Hen while your over there too!  It's an English beer rather than Irish but it sure is good!

http://itasteyourbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/oscan3-300x300.jpg

One of Irish decent does not drink the swill of the occupiers in the lands of their fathers.

Plenty of good Irish beer.
Tom Creans is a good one

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you will have a good time!  One thing that is normally not mentioned is the weather.  Take a raincoat.  The reason Ireland is so green is that it rains there just as much as it does in Seattle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My trip to Ireland ruined Guiness for me.

Over there, it was incredible. It tastes totally different here in the states.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of good advice in this thread, (except for the 5 o'clock closing times, thats not true).

While your in Dublin give the Viking splash tour a go. Its an open top amphibious bus that goes around the city streets and up the canals to lots of historic sites. The Jameson tour is better than the Guinness tour. Dublin in general has lots to see and do.

If you use it Yelp is a pretty good resource but its not going to have as much info outside of the cities.

If you have any specific questions feel free to drop me a pm, I'm happy to help. Enjoy your trip.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Roads were terribly narrow - beware. Go to a stationery store and buy the 4 "survey" maps that cover all of Ireland. North, south, east and west. They were a lifesaver to my wife and I on our driving trip. We stayed primarily on the west coast but went all the way from sligo/donegal all the way to Skibreen. I was face down in Killarney for 2 days dont remember much of that. Fished the river Moy played at ballybunion and LaHinch. If you guys think the rind of Kerry is bad I strongly suggest you stay off sleagh head road around the outside of Dingle. My wife was positive we were going to plummet into the Atlantic ocean

Also check the travel forum there are posts about Ireland there too
Slainte!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top