User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
paypal sent
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Richard, what are the donations looking like?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

need a counter, like the "thermometer" boards that fund drives have
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
money  sent.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

need a counter, like the "thermometer" boards that fund drives have

Working on it.  Updates will be coming tomorrow morning, as I am too tired to do math tonight.  Looks like we should have it pretty well covered - between both boards - and I am still expecting checks and such in the mail.

Let me take a look at the pay pal funds and then add in the promised checks, and I should have a pretty close figure.  

I have planned for an overage in the way of a poll here and on GT, and as long as John has no emergencies on the trip here, any excess will be voted on.  We won't have much overage, I can assure you...  But what we do have I have some pretty cool ideas for that the members can vote on.

Let's see the update tomorrow!  But we are doing great folks!  The amount of generosity here just amazes me.  

I promise you an update tomorrow.

Richard
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:56:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
tag

wife is going to drop letter into mail this AM

wganz

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Pay Pal on its way, I don't care about the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Pay Pal on its way, I don't care about the rifle.

Received.  Thank you very much!

I am tallying the numbers now and should an update posted here shortly.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, folks, looks like we have a tally!  

As of this moment, we have reached $2,400 in cash donations through pay pal from both ARFCOM and Glock Talk!  There are still checks coming in, and near as I can tell, they will equal about $500 more.  Can’t say for certain, of course, until they actually get here.  

So almost $3,000 from the kindness and generosity of these families.  Absolutely, simply amazing!  

John and I and our friend Paenutz have been getting some moving quotes, and here is what they look like:

U-Haul:  $3,200 not including gas

Moving company, extreme low end:  $2,200

Moving company, extreme high end:  $3,000

So if we take the logical assumption and meet half way, the move will cost about $2,500 for the truck.  Many of you gave directly to John, which was enough for him to get his car prepped for the trip and will pay for his gas and hotel stays on the way here.  

Still, I’d like to have some fall back money in the event his car breaks down or something like that.  So I am not going to close this quite yet.  

Now, that does raise a question, though:  what to do with any excess funds if no emergencies happen?  I have been giving this a lot of thought, and I feel the best thing to do is create a poll at both sites and let the contributing members vote – this will be done AFTER he gets here, of course (either the weekend of the 2nd or the weekend of the 9th).  Here are the five suggestions for the poll I came up with, and I’d like to hear y’alls suggestions to remove or add other options.

1.  Donate the excess funds to the most voted on charity.

2.  Donate the excess funds equally between GT and ARFCOM for being the wonderful sites that this came together on.

3.  REMOVED

4.  Pay off John’s back rent owed in CT.

5.  Buy hookers, blow, and ammunition; create a troll account and petition for more funds to feed the new habits.  

What are your thoughts on this my friends?

Again, I am not closing it just yet until we get exact amounts from the moving company, calculate gas and hotel and food costs, receive all the checks as promised, and he is actually here.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That is truly wonderful.  Bravo!  

Please scratch number 3 though (at least on this board)--we had a "Brothers in Arms" fund several years ago.  Without opening it up to discussion, suffice to say the site is STRONGLY against a repeat--regardless of who handles it--and if you see the bastards who have the money, please bust their asses.  

I didn't know that, TBK1.  What a fucking shame some asshole would steal from a great idea and screw over others who could benefit from it.  Pricks  

That really pisses me off.  OK, I will edit in a moment here.  FWIW, I hope you know that I will never fuck this board or its members over like that - or in any way.  No wonder there are so many hesitant to help!  ARRRGGGHHHHH - I could strangle those bastards.  Breathe, Richard, breathe.

Once the move is complete and such, I will scan all the receipts and put them here so that every members knows exactly where every single penny went.  As a matter of fact, I am shooting you a PM with my phone number.  Stand by
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here......

I couldn't accept living in a homeless shelter and had become extremely depressed.  I won't go into that much, but after watching my whole life taken away from me,  I just didn't have a whole bunch of hope left.

The people here, with their kind thoughts and wishes, and their unbelievably selfless donations, have given me an opportunity to get my life back.

I don't even have the words to express how that's affected me....  Or how extremely grateful I am.

I haven't got much time left here before the landlord's lawyer drops the bomb on me and the vultures decend.  I've got to the 6th to be out, so I'm planning on the truck being here on the 5th, I think, to send my life on down to Arizona.   This is such a huge, overwhelming event.....  

Things here have been rough, and I'm having a hell of a time packing, but I'm breaking my ass, and it's getting there.  I'm taking a beating, and hurt like hell, but you know.......  It feels good.

My life's changing rapidly...... For the better.  It's pretty hard to believe.

And I have all of you to thank for it.

Thank you....... More than I can ever say.

John

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Glad everything is working out so far.

We've kept one of our own out of a homeless shelter(esp. richardh247)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

We all made this come together.  Not one person did more than another.  I got a $500 (yes FIVE HUNDRED) donation from a member who demanded they remain anonymous.  Others prayed.  Some gave five dollars, some gave $50, a few gave $100 or $200.  Some are helping John load the truck, others have volunteered to help unload the truck while here.  Many people have opened their homes to John during the trip for a warm meal, a comfy bed, and great hospitality.  Some AZ folks are taking him shooting and buying the ammo.

The site provided the venue, the mods tacked it, and the members will vote on a good cause for excess funds.

There is NO one person who "especially" made this happen.  We bitch and bicker and argue with each other over the keyboard, but when the metal hit the meat, we came through.

Yes, we helped keep a friend and a member out of a homeless shelter.  But let's not forget John's sacrifice, either!  The man is leaving the only place he knows to move in with a stranger 3,000 miles away.  Every time I talk to him, which is daily, he is still dumbfounded by the generosity while scared and anxious of the move.  That takes balls...

Easy enough to go on the system, stay at home, and eat cheetos.  He decided not to, and to make a life changing event to get back on his feet as a man.  

We all came together equally for this.  And we can all be damn proud we did so.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Paypal sent, this place is awesome!

P.S., take him to church when he gets to Phoenix too. God is looking down on him.

Thank you, sir, just got it.

He is always welcome at church, of course, but he is just as welcome to sit here and be thankful in his own way.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll paypal $25.  Is your email addy richardh247@(remove me) cox.net, or <E-mail removed.  --tbk1>?  What's with the (remove me) in the email address?

ETA:  Paypal sent.  You're a good guy for doing what you're doing.

When can I move in?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I am waiting on some more funds to get into paypal before I send another small donation.  Thanks for te raflle Richard but I won't  hit that mark.  I gave some to John earlier and I will send you another one, they are small but I hope they help.

On the voting, I say hold on to it and see what other expenses may be incurred. It might be best to do that and see what he needs (if anything once he gets there) and then send the overage to the landlord in a good faith effort to let him (and subsequently the judge ) know that he is making a good faith effort to get the owed money back to the landlord.  I have no problem wiht that. It will buy him some time maybe and of course if I was the landlord I wouldn't want to be stiffed. Just my thoughts.

Damn glad we can get this worked out.  I would suggest a moving company (however, if you pack stuff yourself...it is generally not insured by the company when moved with them).  I  have a friend who is moving back to KY by POD so I suggest that might be a way to go if equal in cost.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'll paypal $25.  Is your email addy richardh247@(remove me) cox.net, or ?  What's with the (remove me) in the email address?

I was told the (remove me) is a way to thwart scammers who have the software to randomly look for links occurring on Internet sites and either steal or spam.  I don't know if that has any merit, but once I heard it I figured there was no reason not to use it, as they don't look over every email to find a (remove me).

So you remove the (remove me) after copy/paste, leaving just a standard email address.

The last thing I wanted was to collect all this money and then have to explain to the membership my account got hacked and it went kaput!  LOL!!!!!!  Like they'd ever believe that!  

So, just in case there is any truth to that, please remove the direct link to my email addy in your original post.  Again, I don't know for sure, but I don't want to take even the slightest chance.  Use my address, just delete the (remove me) part.

Thanks, bro!!!!!  I will confirm when I have received, just as I have been doing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'll paypal $25.  Is your email addy richardh247@(remove me) cox.net, or ?  What's with the (remove me) in the email address?

When can I move in?

Recieved!  Thank you very much sir!  But again, please remove the direct link to my address in your post.

Mucho gracias!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in Pennsylvania--Right off of I-80.  

Not sure of his route, but if he (and others) need a place to crash, I can make room--I have a spare (twin) bed, and can probably find an inflatable.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm in Pennsylvania--Right off of I-80.  

Not sure of his route, but if he (and others) need a place to crash, I can make room--I have a spare (twin) bed, and can probably find an inflatable.

AFARR

Most cool!  It will be only him, and that can probably be his his first night stay, depending on the route he has mapped out, which I don't know anything about.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Fine--

E-mail me:   A_F_A_R_R (AT symbol Here)Hotmail.com

I'm near Clarion, PA (Interstate 80 at exit 60).  

If I am here, the door is open, if not--I'll let him know where the key is.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We all made this come together.  Not one person did more than another.  I got a $500 (yes FIVE HUNDRED) donation from a member who demanded they remain anonymous.  Others prayed.  Some gave five dollars, some gave $50, a few gave $100 or $200.  Some are helping John load the truck, others have volunteered to help unload the truck while here.  Many people have opened their homes to John during the trip for a warm meal, a comfy bed, and great hospitality.  Some AZ folks are taking him shooting and buying the ammo.

The site provided the venue, the mods tacked it, and the members will vote on a good cause for excess funds.

There is NO one person who "especially" made this happen.  We bitch and bicker and argue with each other over the keyboard, but when the metal hit the meat, we came through.

Yes, we helped keep a friend and a member out of a homeless shelter.  But let's not forget John's sacrifice, either!  The man is leaving the only place he knows to move in with a stranger 3,000 miles away.  Every time I talk to him, which is daily, he is still dumbfounded by the generosity while scared and anxious of the move.  That takes balls...

Easy enough to go on the system, stay at home, and eat cheetos.  He decided not to, and to make a life changing event to get back on his feet as a man.  

We all came together equally for this.  And we can all be damn proud we did so.

I understand what your saying and your right. The reason I said especially you is because your actually giving him shelter, instead of a homeless shelter. I don't mean to belittle anyone's donation      
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here......

I couldn't accept living in a homeless shelter and had become extremely depressed.  I won't go into that much, but after watching my whole life taken away from me,  I just didn't have a whole bunch of hope left.

The people here, with their kind thoughts and wishes, and their unbelievably selfless donations, have given me an opportunity to get my life back.

I don't even have the words to express how that's affected me....  Or how extremely grateful I am.

I haven't got much time left here before the landlord's lawyer drops the bomb on me and the vultures decend.  I've got to the 6th to be out, so I'm planning on the truck being here on the 5th, I think, to send my life on down to Arizona.   This is such a huge, overwhelming event.....  

Things here have been rough, and I'm having a hell of a time packing, but I'm breaking my ass, and it's getting there.  I'm taking a beating, and hurt like hell, but you know.......  It feels good.

My life's changing rapidly...... For the better.  It's pretty hard to believe.

And I have all of you to thank for it.

Thank you....... More than I can ever say.

John

Good luck on the move. I'm sure you are scared, but I know that AZ is a great place that I would love to retire to some day. May God be with you!!

Kris
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I just foundthistacked at the top.  I am impresed...

I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help out.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Paypal funds sent! - Best of luck to John, and thanks to Richard for being a Good Samaratin and a good brother.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Paypal funds sent! - Best of luck to John, and thanks to Richard for being a Good Samaratin and a good brother.

Received!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I have offered before and will offer it again.  If he is coming through Knoxville Tennessee he has got a place to stay and hot food for the night.  I (can't promise any hookers and blow however.)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
As the goal seems to have been met I'm going to untack this.  If you have a progress thread--and especially a "destination achieved" thread, we can tack that for a day or two.  God bless all who have helped.  Good luck, John.  Richard . . . no words man.  

Mike....... Thanks....  It looks like I'll be on my way to AZ pretty soon, thanks to everyone here, and the amazing amount of help they've given,

I am truly indebted to each and every one of them.

That I have a chance now, to get my life back....  Well... There's just no words to express how I feel.

Thank you all so very much.

John
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#32]
M.O. sent out on Sept. 28th from CO.  You should recieve it in a couple of days.

Best of luck on your journey, John.  Sounds like things are really looking up for you in AZ.  I hope you enjoy your new state!!  

--VT4MeGunCtrlIsAntiUS
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When can I move in?

Recieved!  Thank you very much sir!  But again, please remove the direct link to my address in your post.

Mucho gracias!

Sorry, I didn't check this thread in time to remove the addy.  TBK took care of it though.  Good luck and thanks for doing what you're doing!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Donation sent. hard,
I was disappointed that John couldn't find much help in his own area, like at a church.  Our church helps out lots of people, we just took a huge load of stuff down to NO and Mississippi, like diapers, water, clothes, clorox, money, baby wipes, etc.

www.airguns.net/salvplan.html
Here is a good website for John to look at. I'm a Christian and I know that when I am down and out it is nice to have faith that Someone bigger than I am is looking out for me. Just might help John at this time. God Bless and keep us posted please.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top