Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Article. VI.
Clause 2: This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Maybe it is not this way everywhere, and I have never personally seen a checkpoint, but around here they put it in the paper about a week ahead of time and on the news the day before and at 6 o'clock.

So when I see in the paper, "Sheriff to conduct DUI checkpoint at intersection of 725 and Hill Rd Saturday from 6:00 pm until 10:00 pm."  I always wonder who would go that way with a suspended DL or a drink under there belt?

Dan

I live right off 725
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I just thought I'd chime in here and interject reality for a second, even though it's been touched on.

Driving is a privilege, not a right.   When you get a license, you agree to a set of rules set forth by your state, which is why if you refuse to take a Breath Test or BAC later, they can suspend your license for "NO REASON!  WTF!?"

Almost every "right" in this country is now a legistated and controlled privilege, and failure to stay within the confines of the Government's wishes, that privilege is rescinded.  That is how checkpoints and "PULLING ME OVER FOR NOTHING!  BOGUS!" is allowable.  Because you are on their roads operating under their rules that you agreed to.

Police Officers are linemen.    They're infantry.    Do you expect a Pfc. or Cpl. to be the one that dictates DoD policy?   Or are they just the guy that has to go enact it?  

Not an excuse, just something to keep in mind.

Link Posted: 5/28/2005 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just thought I'd chime in here and interject reality for a second, even though it's been touched on.

Driving is a privilege, not a right.   When you get a license, you agree to a set of rules set forth by your state, which is why if you refuse to take a Breath Test or BAC later, they can suspend your license for "NO REASON!  WTF!?"

Almost every "right" in this country is now a legistated and controlled privilege, and failure to stay within the confines of the Government's wishes, that privilege is rescinded.  That is how checkpoints and "PULLING ME OVER FOR NOTHING!  BOGUS!" is allowable.  Because you are on their roads operating under their rules that you agreed to.

Police Officers are linemen.    They're infantry.    Do you expect a Pfc. or Cpl. to be the one that dictates DoD policy?   Or are they just the guy that has to go enact it?  

Not an excuse, just something to keep in mind.

I'm going to have to disagree.  Driving is a right... The right to freely travel and use public highways is (suppose to be) protected by the 9th amendment.  By accepting a license, you change your right into a privilege.  Thus, you are bound by the rules that go along with that privilege.  Drop your license, reassert your right and tell them to stick their check point up their ass.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You have violated your oath if you have intentionally stopped ONE car without PC...(real PC not made up crap). I am sorry to be so blunt. I know how hard it would be to refuse to perform such an assigned task, but the fact remains the Constitution makes no allowance for random application of unprovoked interrogation.

I assist the police from the air and you know how we spot a drunk from the air? We watch for erratic driving corroborated from a primary contact on the ground! The drunks we catch are thoroughly baked. We caught a lady earlier this week who the reporting party had said was having difficulty getting her child into the car seat! She then spent two minutes getting out of the parking lot. We kept eyes on her (driving a nice new Explorer) until the ground units got there and made the stop. If we directed intercepts to every car that came close to the fog line once or twice the national guard would run short of manpower performing the stops. I appreciate intercepting criminals and blatant law breakers but the system is slow for a reason. Efficiency will be the end of the republic. Planerench out.

You are doing the same thing we do.  Just because someone is driving poorly does not mean he is drunk. You have no proof he is drunk so by your own statements apparently have "violated your oath"  You guys need to go back and read the Constitution because I don't think you know what it says.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If he got it, he'd either quit his job or wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

I sleep just fine at night knowing I am enforcing the laws and upholding the Constitution.
You guys don't get it.

kill-9 do you even have a job to quit?
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can't believe all the people agreeing with this.

The very next thing to happen is they stop by your house to make sure you don't have any drugs out on the table or you don't have an arrest warrant.  After that they search thru your daughter's panty drawer for drugs and guns.  Next they lead you out of your house into a camp while they take your property because you just might have done something wrong once upon a time.

Really...   How far is it from randomly stopping and questioning you in your car to doing the same in your home???

A real long way.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You are a complete fucking idiot.  take your 'sobriety' checkpoint and stick it pointy end first up your surely gaping asshole.  Presumed innocent until proven guilty?  Oh...I see.  You're all just doing this for our protection, because it might take one bad guy off the street.  

Hey lokt, I am sure you are the only one around here with a gaping asshole so right back at you!
I have noticed you seem a little unballanced sometimes. Are you taking your meds?  I hope you feel better soon.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 1:09:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I can't believe all the people agreeing with this.

The very next thing to happen is they stop by your house to make sure you don't have any drugs out on the table or you don't have an arrest warrant.  After that they search thru your daughter's panty drawer for drugs and guns.  Next they lead you out of your house into a camp while they take your property because you just might have done something wrong once upon a time.

Really...   How far is it from randomly stopping and questioning you in your car to doing the same in your home???

and all this is POSSIBLE since "you signed an agreement to allow them to check your driver's license upon request!!!"  ----> who says it has to be requested ON THE ROAD?

Link Posted: 5/28/2005 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You ever notive all the mouthbreathers that have no clue what the word unreasonable means, what a search is, waht a seizure is and haven't a fucking clue about what their rights and RESPONSIBILITIES are.

First the Constitution (btw usually spelled with an upper case C )has nothing to do with  your complying with privileges as granted by the State you are in.

Even Fla should remember the Constitution AND BoR are restrictions primarily on the FEDERAL Government.

The states are restricted by their constitutions as to how they enforce the state laws on Firearms, Searches, driving privileges.  Until these bozos can understand the difference between state laws and the Bill of Rights  they will continue to appear to be bricks on this and other threads.

Driving is a privilege not a right.  If that concept is difficult or impossible to understand stop here.  You need to concentrate on breathing.

That privilege is administered by the State based on the laws enacted by you, via YOUR representatives.  One of the administrative requirements for getting a license is your agreeing to abice by the Vehicle Code.  (Not that tough is it?)

If you decide that those requirements are too onerous (look it up if it's too big a word.)  than you can walk, take a bus, etc etc etc.

Most constitutions are silent on any specific right to travel, and they damen sure don't say how you can travel.  So if you don't like one method, because you might have to show your license find another.

Or get YOUR representatives to change the laws.  Just don't come here and broadcast your ignorance and expect sympathy.

Ding! Ding! Ding! PaDanby you are right on.  The Constitution is something I cherish dearly and we can agree or disagree on what is right or wrong. (Constitutional vs. un-Constitutional)  I even understand why some people are so angry about checkpoints and think they are un-Constitutional even though they are perfectly legal and reasonable.

You did express yourself and my views very well thank you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh by the way, over 1100 vehicles went through the checkpoint in 2 1/2 hours.  We towed 18 vehicles mostly for being unlicensed or having a suspended license.  We wrote several other citations for various vehicle code violations and cited and released a few people who had active warrants for thier arrest.
Only one person was booked into jail, that was a guy who said he didn't have his license with him.  When I checked he had two warrants for his arrest and his license was revoked.  His car was towed, he went to jail.  We kept the cars moving very well and I am certain we did not violate anyones rights.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 1:47:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Oh by the way, over 1100 vehicles went through the checkpoint in 2 1/2 hours.  We towed 18 vehicles mostly for being unlicensed or having a suspended license.  We wrote several other citations for various vehicle code violations and cited and released a few people who had active warrants for thier arrest.
Only one person was booked into jail, that was a guy who said he didn't have his license with him.  When I checked he had two warrants for his arrest and his license was revoked.  His car was towed, he went to jail.  We kept the cars moving very well and I am certain we did not violate anyones rights.

I am 100% certain that you DID IN FACT violate EVERYONE'S rights when you did not have ANY probable cause.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 2:06:03 AM EDT
[#13]
The justice system is broken and this is where it went wrong.

Amendment VII

In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

The founders aniticipated bad law and intended trial by jury to throw out any law they decided was bad, trial by jury judges both the FACTS and the LAW.

To travel on the highways is a right not a priviledge, operation of a commercial vehicle as in driving/ doing business as etc. under limited liability is subject to state regulations but as long as the spirit of the law is ignored and the letter of the law enforced will will continue in total tyranny and slavery.

To believe this government is well intentioned is naive.

George Washington
Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder.

Link Posted: 5/28/2005 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Oh by the way, over 1100 vehicles went through the checkpoint in 2 1/2 hours.

How?  That's only 8 seconds per car.  How did you check their license and check for outstanding warrants and do everything else that quickly?  It often takes the local cops 100 times that long to do everything they do at a roadblock even when they're in a hurry.  There's a problem with your numbers.

We towed 18 vehicles

That's only 1.6%.  I like your department much better than I like my local one.  My local city tows for the slightest excuse.  They make a lot of money from it.z
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am 100% certain that you DID IN FACT violate EVERYONE'S rights when you did not have ANY probable cause.

+1

And LEO wonder why the respect that citizenry used to have for the police is evaporating.

(at least the East German Police did not pull the intellectually dishonest "this is for your own good" line of bull)

Link Posted: 5/28/2005 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So why then at the last two stops I went through they demanded the ID of my PASSENGERS as well?

I don't know did you ask them?
Was it because you are in Afghanistan and it was a Military roadblock?
I don't think the Constitution applies in other Countries. (Thank you for what you are doing for us by the way)

No those stops were both in Missouri, smart ass.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Id like to see all you "driving is a privilage" MF'ers try to live for a few monthes without driving, out here wherte I live.
There is NO BUS, NO TAXI service and theres not even a safe place to walk on the side of the road. This was told to me by the very deputies who let me go when they found out I didnt have a license.

I DONT have a license because I READ the agreement at the DMV and refused to agree to it, but I continue to use the roaads as is MY RIGHT. Yet the highway robbers (state police) STILL fuck with me over it.

Driving may have been a privilage back when the world was designed around walking and riding horses, but now 100 years later without a car your FUCKED.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#18]
beater....just because you're fucked w/o something does not make it a right to have that thing.

Link Posted: 5/28/2005 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oh by the way, over 1100 vehicles went through the checkpoint in 2 1/2 hours.

How?  That's only 8 seconds per car.  How did you check their license and check for outstanding warrants and do everything else that quickly?  It often takes the local cops 100 times that long to do everything they do at a roadblock even when they're in a hurry.  There's a problem with your numbers.

We towed 18 vehicles

That's only 1.6%.  I like your department much better than I like my local one.  My local city tows for the slightest excuse.  They make a lot of money from it.z

It was nowhere near 8 seconds per vehicle probably more like 3 seconds.  Remember 3 out of 4 drive through and are not stopped at all.  The 4th on is asked if they have thier license, they show it and they proceed right along.  If they say they don't have a license they are directed to pull in to a seperate area and spoken with further.  A couple seconds each at a place where they would have to stop anyway (stop sign) with signs 200 yards back announcing a checkpoint.

Again, it is fine if some of you don't like it but it is legal and Constitutional.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
beater....just because you're fucked w/o something does not make it a right to have that thing.

We are all fucked if we have no food or  water but it is still not a right.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

How can you persue life, liberty and happiness if you cannot freely move about? Am I supposed to put my life at great  jepordy and end up like the deer and coons scattered about the public roadways? Or should I tresspass through everyones property and cut a straight line to my destination?

Try walking on a KY roadway... I DARE you. Even the sheriffs agreed with me and said I was better off just driving than I was walking. Not to mention you would need to bring a tent with you so youd have somewhere to lay your head overnight on your trip to town and back.

Or should I just not exist, just sit around and starve to death.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I was stopped shortly after I had turned 18 on I-95 near Jupiter by Palm Beach Sheriff deputies at a DUI checkpoint. They asked for my ID and insurance, which I had no problem with. They told me to get out of the truck and open my toolbox so they could look inside of it and the truck. I refused and told them to sho me a warrant for their just search and gave them the business card of my attorney, and said I would not step out of the vehicle or unlock anything without him present.

They harrassed me, called me a pussy, scared of being caught yada yada yada. I called them communists and asked for my papers back if they weren't getting a warrant and I'd be happy to give a breathalizer and I was on my way, didn't make me breathe thru one. Wished I'd have taken down their badge numbers.

I was pissed, but no harm no foul.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#23]
sum-rifle, clearly we disagree. we will never agree, but I am done with arguing in this thread. In a way we are really both right and both wrong in the sense that the only issue we have is that I draw the line of "unreasonalbe search" a term open to interpretation one step before you do. No hard feelings, based on your mature and non attacking argument (rare for arfcom) you have earned my respect and I'm sure you conduct yourself in a professional manner on the job.  take it easy
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You ever notive all the mouthbreathers that have no clue what the word unreasonable means, what a search is, waht a seizure is and haven't a fucking clue about what their rights and RESPONSIBILITIES are.

First the Constitution (btw usually spelled with an upper case C )has nothing to do with  your complying with privileges as granted by the State you are in.

Even Fla should remember the Constitution AND BoR are restrictions primarily on the FEDERAL Government.

The states are restricted by their constitutions as to how they enforce the state laws on Firearms, Searches, driving privileges.  Until these bozos can understand the difference between state laws and the Bill of Rights  they will continue to appear to be bricks on this and other threads.

Driving is a privilege not a right.  If that concept is difficult or impossible to understand stop here.  You need to concentrate on breathing.

That privilege is administered by the State based on the laws enacted by you, via YOUR representatives.  One of the administrative requirements for getting a license is your agreeing to abice by the Vehicle Code.  (Not that tough is it?)

If you decide that those requirements are too onerous (look it up if it's too big a word.)  than you can walk, take a bus, etc etc etc.

Most constitutions are silent on any specific right to travel, and they damen sure don't say how you can travel.  So if you don't like one method, because you might have to show your license find another.

Or get YOUR representatives to change the laws.  Just don't come here and broadcast your ignorance and expect sympathy.

Ding! Ding! Ding! PaDanby you are right on.  The Constitution is something I cherish dearly and we can agree or disagree on what is right or wrong. (Constitutional vs. un-Constitutional)  I even understand why some people are so angry about checkpoints and think they are un-Constitutional even though they are perfectly legal and reasonable.

You did express yourself and my views very well thank you.

Yes he did, and he managed to do it with lots of sarcasm, codescension, and rudeness!  Bravo!  JBT's everywhere rejoice!

Seriously, I think the US Constitution supercedes any and all laws anywhere.  Because some smart-assed attorneys or congresscritters have figured out a way to make random searches appear legal does not make them right or constitutional.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000000000000000000000
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Most of our checkpoints around here are to check for proof of Insurance. Sometimes there are sobriety checkpoints but only seen them in city limits.

I don't mind them here in MO but its the ones in Illinois that make me nervous since sometimes I forget to lock up my CCW in the trunk before I drive over there.

We will do it all tonight.
Drivers Licence
Seatbelt
Insurance
Sobriety

Any problems
Warrant check

We make a fair number of arrests
write a good number of citations
and tow a bunch of cars.

I'm sorry could you repeat that in German.

Why are you a fucking NAZI?

Checkpoints are perfectly legal and actually keep other drivers safer.
Do you want unlicensed, drunk drivers out on the road with you and your family?
Do you want drunk drivers who are licensed and insured out on the road with you?
Do you think it is a good idea to take unlicensed and uninsured people off of the roads?
Do you want people who just got here from Mexico two days ago and do not know how to drive to run over your children?
Do you think it is a good idea to find people with warrants and get them back into the court system so they can take care of thoer cases.
Do you agree that people spun out on methamphetamine should not be driving around with syringes, guns and stolen property in the stolen vehicle they just stole from you or your neighbor this morning?

I could go on and on but I am sure you think of yourself as a patriot when you are just a supporter of criminals.
Have you ever gone through a checkpoint?
It takes a few seconds unless you do not have your license or smell like alcohol, then it takes a little longer.  Many people who do not have thier license with them but do have a valid license still do not get a citation they are just told that the law says they must carry thier licewnse with them.

People who are
drunk
unlicensed/suspended/revoked
wanted
etc................... have thier vehicle impounded and are arrested or cited and released.

What exactly do you do about illeagle immigrents when you pull one over ?
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I was stopped shortly after I had turned 18 on I-95 near Jupiter by Palm Beach Sheriff deputies at a DUI checkpoint. They asked for my ID and insurance, which I had no problem with. They told me to get out of the truck and open my toolbox so they could look inside of it and the truck. I refused and told them to sho me a warrant for their just search and gave them the business card of my attorney, and said I would not step out of the vehicle or unlock anything without him present.

They harrassed me, called me a pussy, scared of being caught yada yada yada. I called them communists and asked for my papers back if they weren't getting a warrant and I'd be happy to give a breathalizer and I was on my way, didn't make me breathe thru one. Wished I'd have taken down their badge numbers.

I was pissed, but no harm no foul.

Assuming this story isn't total BS, you are a brave brave person!  With several cops to dream up (and collaborate) a "probable cause" and do with you as they wished, you could have easily wound up in deep doo-doo had the wrong cops pulled you over!

You're lucky you didn't wind up black and blue and cooling your heels in jail over the bag of weed they "discovered" in your truck after you "attacked" them!
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#28]
That is how checkpoints and "PULLING ME OVER FOR NOTHING! BOGUS!" is allowable. Because you are on their roads operating under their rules that you agreed to

Excuse me, THEIR roads?  No, they are at least in part MY roads, as I paid taxes for them.

Oh by the way, over 1100 vehicles went through the checkpoint in 2 1/2 hours. We towed 18 vehicles mostly for being unlicensed or having a suspended license. We wrote several other citations for various vehicle code violations and cited and released a few people who had active warrants for thier arrest.
Only one person was booked into jail, that was a guy who said he didn't have his license with him. When I checked he had two warrants for his arrest and his license was revoked. His car was towed, he went to jail. We kept the cars moving very well and I am certain we did not violate anyones rights.

You interferred with the free movement of 1100 vehicles (and say average of 2 people per car), over 2000 people, yet you booked only one guy.  That does not sound like a very efficient method of crime prevention to me.

Using the same logic, why not go to the local mall, and pat down, say, every 10th person, ask for ID's as people walk by.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Oh by the way, over 1100 vehicles went through the checkpoint in 2 1/2 hours. We towed 18 vehicles mostly for being unlicensed or having a suspended license.

Wouldnt being unlicensed mean they didnt agree to the aforementioned terms of getting a license therefor the govt agents have no right in halting them or demanding their papers?

Link Posted: 5/28/2005 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Oh by the way, over 1100 vehicles went through the checkpoint in 2 1/2 hours. We towed 18 vehicles mostly for being unlicensed or having a suspended license.

Wouldnt being unlicensed mean they didnt agree to the aforementioned terms of getting a license therefor the govt agents have no right in halting them or demanding their papers?

No, your write them a ticket for driving without a lisecense.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

ARe you really this obtuse? or do you have to work at it.  You have no constitutional right to drive.  You have a right to travel, but how you do it is not designated.  The privilege of driving is  granted and regulated by the States as one of their powers under the 10th Amendment  and by the people of the state YOU through your elected representatives.

In other words they have the absolute right and duty to enforce the laws YOU the people have enacted.  Up to and including halting them and arresting them.  Since YOU the people have decided on a series of laws designed to facilitate safe travel for the people.  You do understand that, or do you need smaller words?

Or maybe you are that stupid.

Link Posted: 5/28/2005 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ya probably, heh... i have only had one negative envounter with the police. but i can see another one  happening one day. too bad all the cops just follow orders and dont mind violating rights.

OK, I'll bite, how would they be violating anyone's rights at a checkpoint?

Lord_Grey_Boots, have you been living in the northwest for very long?  In Oregon and Washington we have real constitutions, constitutions that are written to protect liberty, not ensure safety.  In Oregon and Washington sobriety checkpoints are unconstitutional.  In Idaho they are illegal under state law.  Others here who are looking to move to a little more freedom can check the full state list HERE.

So to answer your question, a roadblock checkpoint would be violating the person's rights by abridging freedom guaranteed under the state constitution.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you want people who just got here from Mexico two days ago and do not know how to drive to run over your children?

What exactly do you do about illegal immigrants when you pull one over ?

Curious as what ALL the states do in this event. Nothing? Warning? Same as for Citizens?
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Mi, was the first to have DUI checkpoints, but it was shut down by our supreme ct. So we don't do checkpoints in Mi.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Mi, was the first to have DUI checkpoints, but it was shut down by our supreme ct. So we don't do checkpoints in Mi.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

So lemme get this straight.  People who didn't have a license where left on the side of the road to find their own way home.......but you only CITED AND RELEASED a few people who had arrest warrants?????

WHAT THE FUCK AM I MISSING HERE?

Protect and serve my ass!  

More like to ticket and collect.

Oh and 1 single dude found his way into jail.......yeah...... I can sleep so much better now knowing that 1 whole scumbag is off the streets!

Link Posted: 5/28/2005 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So lemme get this straight.  People who didn't have a license where left on the side of the road to find their own way home.......but you only CITED AND RELEASED a few people who had arrest warrants?????

WHAT THE FUCK AM I MISSING HERE?

Protect and serve my ass!  

More like to ticket and collect.

Oh and 1 single dude found his way into jail.......yeah...... I can sleep so much better now knowing that 1 whole scumbag is off the streets!

Don't worry I am sure the jail cited him out within about 5 or 6 hours.  They were both Misdemeanor warrants but I could not cite him in the field because one of the warrants was for violence. Brandishing a weapon in a rude or threatening manner.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
cited and released a few people who had active warrants for thier arrest.

Was this a typo?  

I see this has been answered, how about the Illegal Alien question?
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Curious as what ALL the states do in this event. Nothing? Warning? Same as for Citizens?

Hmmmm.........I'll check back tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Unfortunately the ilegal alien problem is very bad here in California as I am sure many of you have heard.  I think it is actually pretty bad in many, many states not just the border states.

What I do is arrest people on state charges like
Spousal abuse
Rape
Murder
Assault with a deadly weapon
Drunk driving
Drug possession
Forgery
Burglary
Robbery
Identity theft
Drunk in public
Fighting in public
Vehicle theft
and a few others.

I book them into the County jail and if they are not citizens the Department of Homeland Security (Formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service) can deport them if they want to.  It does not happen nearly enough, but sometimes they get deported.

We used to mark "INS Hold" on the "Field Arrest Data" form but no longer do so. The Feds have to enforce Federal laws and Deputies and Police Officers enforce State laws.  That is how it works. There was some talk very recently about local cops enforcing immigration laws.  The LA County Sheriff said he would, and unfortunately our County Sheriff said he absolutely would not allow that to happen.  I am all for catching and deporting anyone who is in this Nation illegaly.

Another fact that I am sure will piss off some people here.  The illegals have to commit some other crime not just being here illegaly.  In other words I could walk down the street and talk (Spanish of course) to 500 people who readily admit they just snuck into this Country this morning and I can not take any action against them.  If they commit another crime however then I can take them to jail and INS might do something to them.  A shame really.
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The illegals have to commit some other crime not just being here illegaly.  In other words I could walk down the street and talk (Spanish of course) to 500 people who readily admit they just snuck into this Country this morning and I can not take any action against them.  If they commit another crime however then I can take them to jail and INS might do something to them.  A shame really.

That is very depressing............but thanks for sharing

What would be the best way to turn this situation around, like prohibition was turned around?

Fundraising for legal challenges, commercials, letter writing campaigns to elected officials?
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 1:03:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The privilege of driving is  granted and regulated by the States as one of their powers under the 10th Amendment  and by the people of the state YOU through your elected representatives.

In other words they have the absolute right and duty to enforce the laws YOU the people have enacted.  Up to and including halting them and arresting them.  Since YOU the people have decided on a series of laws designed to facilitate safe travel for the people.  You do understand that, or do you need smaller words?

Or maybe you are that stupid.

First of all, your grammar is a fucking disaster. At least make some minor attempt at using decent English before you call ANYONE stupid. I'm sure, being the smart fucking guy you clearly think you are, that you of all people could see the irony in that.

Second of all, I didn't decide on shit. Don't call them my representatives or the laws I wanted passed. I sure as hell wasn't around when we all decided driving is a priveledge. Just because something is law doesn't make it right from either an ethical or a legal/Constitutional standpoint. Unless you really want to keep that arguement, in which case you can:

STFU up about gun laws. After all, they were passed by YOU via YOUR representatives. The NFA, the GCA, all that. It's the law right? So it must be both right and Constitutional, right? You just said so.  Wasn't it you who ALSO just stated our founding fathers never knew there would be motor vehicles, therefor travel via vehicles isn't your "Right'? Because they didn't have machine guns or even semi automatic way back then either. I guess those aren't protected. A whole slew of things aren't protected. Come back when you have something of substance to offer the group besides insults and self righteous nonsense.

ETA: Redirect the latter part of my statement to SGTWhiting. I orignally thought you stated this:

Quoted:
The "founders" of the Bill of Rights had no concept of cars in their time and could not forsee the future with them in it.  

Maybe the both of you can join the "applying logic evenly" club and get back with us.
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Come back when you have something of substance to offer the group besides insults and self righteous nonsense.

But.........he is part of the "liberal brain trust", he is supposed to be insulting\self-righteous
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#44]
I stand by my previous comment, a roadblock is a pi$$poor method of law enforcement.  This reminds me of a police department from the small town that extended its city limits just past the interstate hwy so that they could set up their stop and rob business.  For every 32 cars stopped and SEARCHED, only one was found with "contraband".

"Contraband" was not necessarily drugs.  They especially liked seizing cash, and then the person who it was taken from had to go to court to PROVE it was legally obtained cash.  Even a few hundred dollars (like one would carry on any long trip or vacation) would be seized.  "Trolling for dollars".

I have forgotten how many others were stopped and not searched.  Apparently that PD's judgement (reasonable suspicion/probable cause) was faulty 97% of the time.

Link Posted: 5/30/2005 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmm.........I'll check back tomorrow

If they had not committed a jailable offense the only thing we could do was cite and release.

Side note: We got a call one year from INS that they would be conducting an operation in our area and wanted our assistance. Sure let's go. Rounded up about 45 illegals. The op started about 11:00 pm. The next day, I thought we would have a riot at the city hall. Pissed off a bunch of local farmers that their help were being deported. The mayor got all over our asses. He said instead of helping INS we should have warned all the farmers and for us to NEVER do it again.
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The illegals have to commit some other crime not just being here illegaly.  In other words I could walk down the street and talk (Spanish of course) to 500 people who readily admit they just snuck into this Country this morning and I can not take any action against them.  If they commit another crime however then I can take them to jail and INS might do something to them.  A shame really.

That is very depressing............but thanks for sharing

What would be the best way to turn this situation around, like prohibition was turned around?

Fundraising for legal challenges, commercials, letter writing campaigns to elected officials?

I think changing the laws so local cops can enforce the Federal laws would be a good start.  I think this might have been mentioned once or twice also CLOSE THE BORDERS AND DEPORT THE INVADERS.
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Side note: We got a call one year from INS that they would be conducting an operation in our area and wanted our assistance. Sure let's go. Rounded up about 45 illegals. The op started about 11:00 pm. The next day, I thought we would have a riot at the city hall. Pissed off a bunch of local farmers that their help were being deported. The mayor got all over our asses. He said instead of helping INS we should have warned all the farmers and for us to NEVER do it again.

Those farmers are part of the problem, they KNOWINGLY hire illegal aliens.  Tuff shiite.
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can you persue life, liberty and happiness if you cannot freely move about? Am I supposed to put my life at great  jepordy and end up like the deer and coons scattered about the public roadways? Or should I tresspass through everyones property and cut a straight line to my destination?

Try walking on a KY roadway... I DARE you. Even the sheriffs agreed with me and said I was better off just driving than I was walking. Not to mention you would need to bring a tent with you so youd have somewhere to lay your head overnight on your trip to town and back.

Or should I just not exist, just sit around and starve to death.

Walk?

Ben
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
We got a call one year from INS that they would be conducting an operation in our area and wanted our assistance. Sure let's go. Rounded up about 45 illegals. The op started about 11:00 pm. The next day, I thought we would have a riot at the city hall. Pissed off a bunch of local farmers that their help were being deported. The mayor got all over our asses. He said instead of helping INS we should have warned all the farmers and for us to NEVER do it again.

That is the problem, the Illegals are being aided by members of OUR own government

Link Posted: 5/30/2005 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Most of our checkpoints around here are to check for proof of Insurance. Sometimes there are sobriety checkpoints but only seen them in city limits.

I don't mind them here in MO but its the ones in Illinois that make me nervous since sometimes I forget to lock up my CCW in the trunk before I drive over there.

We will do it all tonight.
Drivers Licence
Seatbelt
Insurance
Sobriety

Any problems
Warrant check

We make a fair number of arrests
write a good number of citations
and tow a bunch of cars.

I'm sorry could you repeat that in German.

Ihre Papiere gefallen

TXL

Danke Herr Lewis
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top