Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Im thinking about putting an order in for the AZ crew.  If you want let me know, ill give you the price Cash and carry.  I will need money up front.  This way I can pay for the stuff.

Thanks Mike
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
After having done a number of really stupid things with it, I'd strongly advise NOT putting anything metal anywhere near the charge.  Propane tanks, computer cabinets, anything that can produce shrapnel is very, very dangerous.  This stuff is very fun, but without common sense can quickly become deadly.  

Absolutely, and 1 Tannerite related "incident" could become VERY BAD FOR US!  Please act responsibly or else the teacher will take your toys away.

+1

Yellow Pages are a good additive...
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Seen a bottle set off on a flat rock about 1 inch thick and the size of a piece of letter sized paper: all that was left was little rock bits no bigger than a peanut.  It is very powerful stuff and to be respected.

If you set 2 bottles off on a 8 inch tree it goes about half way through.  One more charge and it cuts through.  

If you put it into a plastic bag you can shape it into a cone, tape it up, and direct the force one way or the other by shooting the tip of the cone.

One question I have never heard answered is will a binary emergency cracker will set off Tannerite?

(Emergency crackers are like Tannerite but mixed up and put into a card tube to make something which looks like an M-80 and set off with with a fuse.)

Nope, it will not work. Been there and done that.

I have a fun thing to do with the cracker kit , a model rocket engine, and a empty 12 Gage shotgun shell.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Tannerite is a hell of a lot of fun, as long as you don't forget how dangerous it is. A gallon bottle filled with tannerite and set off in the fork of a 1-foot diameter oak tree will split it. Two bottles worth will destroy a 2 inch steel pipe.

Also, if you have a cut on your hand and it gets in, it will burn like nothing you have ever felt before.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagging

OOOOO Tannerite
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the process of setting up a 1lb container in a rabbit decoy.  Have one buddy in a tree with a video camera and another with a predator call.  I plan on shooting the decoy when the coyote gets close enough.  This should make an interesting movie.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
On the comments about what projetiles you can use---I have heard the .223 is marginal (alot of dud reports) anyway. I haven't tried setting Tannerite off with my .223. I use a  .22-250 or .257 Weatherby, and you can use any kind of bullet you want.  

Tannerite= neet shit
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
5.45x39.5mm is the least powerful caliber (in terms of ft.lbs) that I have had 100% success with.

I have noticed that even with more powerful cals, if you don't get a solid (near COM) hit, it will not detonate. I have had 5.56x45mm rounds hit the edge of the bottle and just spill some out.

I wonder what the minimum safe distance for glass would be with a case or so of Tannerite?
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 11 meg video of probably 20 to 30 tannerite bottles.  Not sure if this clip is of the 30 we did but I know it is at least 20.  Anyone have a place I can host it?

Link Posted: 12/7/2004 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
On the comments about what projetiles you can use---I have heard the .223 is marginal (alot of dud reports) anyway. I haven't tried setting Tannerite off with my .223.

The mix we use at the shoot works with anything supersonic. A 22lr will work if it's supersonic.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Ask 1GR..............
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#12]
This is the coolest fucking thread in a long while!
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#13]
can someone explain why tannerite is perfectly legal....

While somthing like a dry Ice bomb is not and dry Ice isn't even explosive!
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 1:23:53 AM EDT
[#14]
because tannerite, produced by a licensed professional explosives company, is considered to be for sporting purposes. ie, it is a reactive target used to hone the precision shooting skills, whereas a dry ice  "bomb", as you correctly put it, does not fit that profile.
and further, a "bomb" by it's very nature is used most often for illegal and destructive acts.
i do realize that if you're just horsin' around, that no one's gonna get hurt, but too many mailboxes, etc., have been blown up with this stuff, because mostly unthinking kids use it , and that's just how it is catagorized.
can you name even a single legitamate use for a dry ice bomb?
"it gives me wood to hear it explode" doesn't count as an answer.

edit to mention that tannerite is a fine product from your native state.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#15]
3 bottle's under a stack of YELLOW PAGES...

5 bottles

16 bottles
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 3:39:49 AM EDT
[#16]
How do you make tannerite? Someone here said you could DIY........

S.O.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 3:54:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 3:57:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
do NOT be stupid! do not enclose tannerite within steel as this falls under FEDERAL laws regarding bomb making. do NOT become an acidental terrorisist. do NOT become an emergency room statistic!

Enclosing it in steel makes it a non-tax-paid DD, at best. As CampyBob says, you could become a terrorist. At worst, you could kill some innocent person who was hundreds of yards away.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
can someone explain why tannerite is perfectly legal....

While somthing like a dry Ice bomb is not and dry Ice isn't even explosive!

Tannerite is a truly binary composition, and it can only be detonated by a high-velocity impact after combining the two components. Though legal, there are strict federal laws regarding them.

A dry ice "bomb" is a uncontrolled composition constructed to explode - you can make gasoline "bombs" as well, and they're just as illegal. This is the kind of shit that's caused black powder and hobbyist pyrotechnics to be on the road for complete federal control. Some stupid fucking asshole starts blowing shit up and the soccer-cows at home start mooing about how "dangerous" it is and shouldn't it be illegal and some legislator starts pounding the podium about domestic terrorism and yada yada yada.

Link Posted: 12/8/2004 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
After having done a number of really stupid things with it, I'd strongly advise NOT putting anything metal anywhere near the charge. Propane tanks, computer cabinets, anything that can produce shrapnel is very, very dangerous. This stuff is very fun, but without common sense can quickly become deadly.

a-fucking-men!!!! this needs drilled into everyone's head.

do NOT be stupid! do not enclose tannerite within steel as this falls under FEDERAL laws regarding bomb making. do NOT become an acidental terrorisist. do NOT become an emergency room statistic!

at bulletfest III, a one-gallon plastic container was detonated and sent rocks flying for 150 yards. ask sajer what a flying fire extinguisher does to the roof of a sport utility vehicle.

do NOT BE stupid!

2200 fps is the minimum velocity required for detonation, but reliable ignition occurs aboves 2500 fps.

i recently posted the formula for making your own tannerite over on the ak forum...again, do NOT be stupid. this shit is not something you want to make a mistake with.

Got a Link to the mixture?
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Got a Link to the mixture?

Search a little. It's all over the board.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ask 1GR..............

You dont have to, I have pictures..........

At least a 100 yards away iirc....

The tannerite was 75+ yards behind them, the truck was 30 feet behind photographer (me)

Same shoot, back in the FYA days.....

It wizzed over all our heads, and there was a shooter in the hole.....!

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Finally got a host for the video... here is a ?? maybe 10 bottle charge.   Warning - 12 meg file.   The white smoke is flour taped to the outside of the charge.   Hmm, that looks small so I'm pretty sure that isn't the large 30 one I have a video of somewhere.  I'll try to find it.    The other small explosion is probably a 1 bottle charge.

Blam

Found the 30 bottle charge.  Listen after and you can hear the rocks/debris hitting the metal roof.  16 megs for this vid.  

Big Blam
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ask 1GR..............

You dont have to, I have pictures..........

At least a 100 yards away iirc....

images.snapfish.com/3425764723232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3B8%3B%3D833%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3A97%3A49%3C6ot1lsi

The tannerite was 75+ yards behind them, the truck was 30 feet behind photographer (me)

Same shoot, back in the FYA days.....

images.snapfish.com/3425764723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3B8%3B%3D833%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B76%3A9658ot1lsi

It wizzed over all our heads, and there was a shooter in the hole.....!

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

is that plastic or metal that hit your truck
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top