Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 4:08:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The Army has never been that brilliant at this.  That goes for many of its projects.

Too many officers who are clueless and political.

Glad I can retire in a few years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I would have killed for boots I did not have to shine when I was in and I mean that literally I would have killed for them. I like the ACUs in therory (not paying a seamstress to sew tabs and tape every time you bought a new set and the pockets look useful) but hey what do I know when I got out we were still sporting BDUs.

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 4:13:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF does the Army need all those patches for anyway.

Look at the MCCU. Better off without all the exterior velcro for the patches, and somehow the Marines know who is who.

And isn't Velcro a no-no for clandestine operations?  I mean, think about it: you're behind enemy line (with Owen Wilson  ), an enemy patrol is within earshot––you're using hand signals to communicate with other members of you team, and then you realize you need something in your pocket ... a pocket that is secured with a Velcro (or Hook & Loop) closure.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip

Gunfight ensues ...

*Note: it's easier to sew on replacement buttons than it is hook and loop tape.  Especially if you suck at sewing.  

Modern warfare rarely includes acting like a ninja.

haha...but it is irritating when the ramp drops on the bradley or MRAP and all you hear is RIP-RIP-RIP-RIP.....

it also cool trying to be super quiet on an SKT and find out the hard way that your shoulder velcro is stuck hard to your nametape velcro....

plus when you are strying to steal gatorades from the DFAC the velcro in your pocket cant support the weight and stay together.  good enough reason for me to switch.

and why do they make a magazine pocket on your leg that just BARELY holds an M16 mag...?
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's my take.
ACU=Comfy ,Cammo sucks, velcro blows, not durable.
A2CU (Nomex 2 Piece) A.K.A. "Tactical Jammies" Way more comfortable,Cammo still sucks
Cargo pockets not worth a damn, no room to put mags. Dries REAL fast when wet.

Ya Know Its kinda funny we had this big push for a new uniform only after the Chinese Army fielded a uniform that,,surprise, looks just like B.D.U.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
acu wont be around for long. the only thing it blends in well with are rocks/gravel. the marines have it right. marpat desert/marpat woodland.  in kuwait we had a really hard time spotting the marines, while the acu " stuck out"...thats the way to go. there is no single camo that will do it all. the best bet would be to just make reversible uniforms. just turn them inside out.
since when does the military/government really give a fuck how much something costs, or how complicated it is? if they were worried about it, every service would have the same uniform..?
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
acu wont be around for long. the only thing it blends in well with are rocks/gravel. the marines have it right. marpat desert/marpat woodland.  in kuwait we had a really hard time spotting the marines, while the acu " stuck out"...thats the way to go. there is no single camo that will do it all. the best bet would be to just make reversible uniforms. just turn them inside out.
since when does the military/government really give a fuck how much something costs, or how complicated it is? if they were worried about it, every service would have the same uniform..?

You mean like how they all had the same (or near identical) uniforms for decades?
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I actually modified my ACU's in Afghanistan buy dropping a bottle of Ritz Tan Color Dye in the wash. It made the Blue's in the ACU turn an Olive shade and the Grey into Tan. It blended very well in the environment. The Battalion XO threatened to give me an Article 15 claiming that I destroyed Government property. They rest of the guys in the unit were pissed because they thought that what I did was innovative and suggested that I pushed my modifications to Washington. I succumbed to pressure from the immediate chain of command and just put my modified ACU's at the bottom of my tuffbox.

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I actually modified my ACU's in Afghanistan buy dropping a bottle of Ritz Tan Color Dye in the wash. It made the Blue's in the ACU turn an Olive shade and the Grey into Tan. It blended very well in the environment. The Battalion XO threatened to give me an Article 15 claiming that I destroyed Government property. They rest of the guys in the unit were pissed because they thought that what I did was innovative and suggested that I pushed my modifications to Washington. I succumbed to pressure from the immediate chain of command and just put my modified ACU's at the bottom of my tuffbox.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/128/2032/17406.jpg

hmmmmmmmmm.
Your moniker is well earned.
Where were you, btw?

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#9]
whatever color they come up with, the desert ones will be thick, canvas type and the white winter oes will be super thin, and light.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#10]

I'd like to pick up some srtuff in that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's a damn good idea.  No wonder you're called Einstein.  

Now, if you'd have all banded together and told the battalion XO to piss off ...

Ah, but I don't imagine that would have gone over to big.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think our MARPATS got it right. The one thing about the ACU's I envy is how lightweight they are. MARPAT uniforms are heavy and really suck in hot or humid climates until you get then broken in so they breathe better. My deserts are basically white but at least they finally breathe.

Man, when I officially made the switch over to the Marine Corps, showed up at OCS, and was issued MARPAT cammies, my first question was: "Ummm...do we get summer weight cammies too, or are those all going to the sand box?"

Them:  The desert ones are summer, the woodland ones are winter!

Me:

I was really shocked.  They really ought to make a summer weight and winter weight, like the old BDUs.

-Ben

Agreed 100%.  That is why the ACUs are way more comfortable than the MARPAT woodlands.  What is the USMC thinking?  It doesn't get hot in a woodland enviroment?  

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love the boots, like the pocket pattern, love the low maintenance, would prefer buttons or a zipper over velcro, wish the pattern was a little darker, and wish a few areas would be reinforced. I'm split on the velcro nametape/patch idea; it's convenient, but it's easy to lose nametapes and rank when crawling in the prone.

Side note on the velcro nametape; it provides for great pranks. I'm tempted to have a "shitbag" nametape made and discretely apply to a few cadets' patrol caps whom it applies to.  

It would be great if they issued actual under armor as the undershirt, but I understand that that would be very expensive.

I personally think the velcro name tapes are pretty useful.  Especially when the douchebag BC goes to Cross Swords for a photo op on first time off VBC, and leaves his shizzle in the mailroom.

Link Posted: 1/10/2009 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love the boots, like the pocket pattern, love the low maintenance, would prefer buttons or a zipper over velcro, wish the pattern was a little darker, and wish a few areas would be reinforced. I'm split on the velcro nametape/patch idea; it's convenient, but it's easy to lose nametapes and rank when crawling in the prone.

Side note on the velcro nametape; it provides for great pranks. I'm tempted to have a "shitbag" nametape made and discretely apply to a few cadets' patrol caps whom it applies to.  

It would be great if they issued actual under armor as the undershirt, but I understand that that would be very expensive.

I personally think the velcro name tapes are pretty useful.  Especially when the douchebag BC goes to Cross Swords for a photo op on first time off VBC, and leaves his shizzle in the mailroom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/centermass181/motivator2780773.jpg

Link Posted: 1/10/2009 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think our MARPATS got it right. The one thing about the ACU's I envy is how lightweight they are. MARPAT uniforms are heavy and really suck in hot or humid climates until you get then broken in so they breathe better. My deserts are basically white but at least they finally breathe.

Man, when I officially made the switch over to the Marine Corps, showed up at OCS, and was issued MARPAT cammies, my first question was: "Ummm...do we get summer weight cammies too, or are those all going to the sand box?"

Them:  The desert ones are summer, the woodland ones are winter!

Me:

I was really shocked.  They really ought to make a summer weight and winter weight, like the old BDUs.

-Ben

Agreed 100%.  That is why the ACUs are way more comfortable than the MARPAT woodlands.  What is the USMC thinking?  It doesn't get hot in a woodland enviroment?  

i'll quote myself from page 2...

the MARPAT pants are made of a heavier weight material than the shirt (for both the woodland and dessert). they did a study during development that showed that the pants wore out 3x faster than shirt so they went with a more durable material. Crye uses the same heavy weight material for their Multicam pants

...the MARPAT shirts are a lighter weight, btw.  where the ACU's are not more comfortable than the MCCUU's is in the cut.  the ACU's are flat in the front and dont give you much room in the crotch.  the MCCUU's are much roomier...
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IIRC, both multicam and a different ACU-color scheme, scored higher than the current ACU-color scheme...snip,,,.

The United States Army's Army Combat Uniform or ACU is the cut or style of uniform the camo pattern is UCP or Universal Camouflage Pattern.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well it is more about durability, because the relative difference in heat while wearing rip stops vice non-stop isn't all that great, vice a set of cammies lasting more than 1 time in the field without a whole bunch of small holes in them and rips in them from getting snagged on catch me fuck me vines.   Not to mention if it is really hot, just unblouse your boots.  

Back when I went to OCS, I decided to bring the heavy weight cammies with me despite it being summer for this very reason.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

22 years in the Marine Corps, I never once wore rip stop uniforms.

Too damned flimsy.

Woodlands. (later Marpat)
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
its not ripstop vs non-ripstop; it's material weight.  the ACU's come in 50/50 NYCO ripstop while the MCCUU is 50/50 NYCO twill (in 2 different weights).  BDU's had a summer weight material that was 100% cotton ripstop

Link Posted: 1/10/2009 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Who's got pics of the ACU pattern from about 50 feet, at dawn or dusk?
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 1:53:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
its not ripstop vs non-ripstop; it's material weight.  the ACU's come in 50/50 NYCO ripstop while the MCCUU is 50/50 NYCO twill (in 2 different weights).  BDU's had a summer weight material that was 100% cotton ripstop  

Atleast in the Marine Corps the woodland cotton summer weights went away in the late 90s and the primary complaint was their durability.  The NYCO ripstop were a little better than the cotton, but they wouldn't last too long in the field or take too much daily wear.  Back in the day of woodlands, it was very common in the Marines to have guys wear the heavy weight cammies all year long because the lighter ones would wear out quicker and since the Marines only got a few hundred dollars a year to maintain uniforms, the heavy weight just made more sense.  Instead of 6-8 month worth of wear you could get several years of wear.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How much dye did you use? Just pour the full bottle in and wash it through without soap?
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much dye did you use? Just pour the full bottle in and wash it through without soap?

Adding salt to the dye will darken the color and I've been told, when the cloth has a synthetic component, to add a bottle of isopropyl alcohol to help the dye penetrate the synthetic fibres.  The 50% Nylon in this case.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here's my take.
ACU=Comfy ,Cammo sucks, velcro blows, not durable.
A2CU (Nomex 2 Piece) A.K.A. "Tactical Jammies" Way more comfortable,Cammo still sucks
Cargo pockets not worth a damn, no room to put mags. Dries REAL fast when wet.

Ya Know Its kinda funny we had this big push for a new uniform only after the Chinese Army fielded a uniform that,,surprise, looks just like B.D.U.

AACU is an Aviation uniform that got grabbed up by everyone else...

The pockets/etc are designed for pilots.....

BDUs don't blend in any better than ACUs anywhere we're likely to be....
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF does the Army need all those patches for anyway.

Look at the MCCU. Better off without all the exterior velcro for the patches, and somehow the Marines know who is who.

And isn't Velcro a no-no for clandestine operations?  I mean, think about it: you're behind enemy line (with Owen Wilson  ), an enemy patrol is within earshot––you're using hand signals to communicate with other members of you team, and then you realize you need something in your pocket ... a pocket that is secured with a Velcro (or Hook & Loop) closure.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip

Gunfight ensues ...

*Note: it's easier to sew on replacement buttons than it is hook and loop tape.  Especially if you suck at sewing.  

Shit you need access to ASAP goes on your vest, not in uniform pockets...
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#27]
huh... I never realized they were supposed to look that way, I just figured Army clothes fade real fast.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#28]

It works because it's digital, and there are no blacks in nature.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
While Multicam may be great for most terrain in our current engagements, I hardly think it's universal - like coyote, it seems to stand out in dark woodland areas.

I think the military should adopt three camo patterns: a universal camo (like Multicam) to be issued to everyone, a dedicated woodland pattern to be issued only in the event of deployment to that type of terrain, and a dedicated desert pattern.

Also need a dedicated artic/winter pattern... Probably wouldn't get used much, but when you need it, you need it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let me start by saying I've never worn the ACU.  I like the concept but understand the problem with the pattern.  The ABU is worse.  Horrible pattern, excessively heavy fabric (so as to make it permanent-press), and poorly designed.  It seems the Air Force decided it needed "to keep up with the Jones's" and create their own unique utility uniform.  They succeded, and we despise it.

My hometown is home to a couple air force bases, so I see AF guys in the new ABU all the time. Every opportunity I get, I ask their opinion of the new uniforms.

So far, the results are unanimous: they suck. Every one says they're too heavy and don't breathe at all, some say they're too fragile along the seams, and several dislike the pattern.

My gripes with the ABU:

1) Fabric Weight. ABU's are fine here in Anchorage, AK, but having spend two summers in San Angelo, Texas (one in BDU's, one in ABU's) I definately prefer the old BDU/DCU uniforms.

2) In my experience, the "camo pattern" sucks at blending in with anything.

3) The ABU is exactly the same as the BDU, they're just heavier, don't blend in with anything, and have two extra pockets right above the boots. If the AF is spending so much money on a new uniform, you'd think that they would somehow try to make improvements over the old uniform (read: slanted pockets you can actually USE, a decent camo pattern, etc.)

The only reasons I rushed to buy a set of ABU's when they were released are the larger selections of sizes vs. the BDU (I fit inbetween a M and L BDU) and so I wouldn't have to iron or polish my *combat* uniform anymore. Other than that, I think we have really gained nothing with the new ABU's, just wasted a lot of tax dollars.

Concerning ACU's, I think it faces the same pattern issues as the ABU (i.e. it sucks), but one of the guys in my shop who spent eight months in a FOB in Afghanistan with some army folks said that he thought the ACU was the best thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
huh... I never realized they were supposed to look that way, I just figured Army clothes fade real fast.

It's NOT that bright white in person....

At least the ones I have aren't...

There are at least 2-3 different 'color variations' (unintended consequences of different production runs) out there over the years, one 'whiter', one 'greener' and one 'grey-er'....

One of my ACU shirts (this one is essentially new):

It should also be noted that *some* troops have decided that the 'proper' ACU look is BLEACHED uniforms and boots... These are usually the same ones who also press their uniforms in violation of the regs, etc...
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 2:22:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

22 years in the Marine Corps, I never once wore rip stop uniforms.

Too damned flimsy.

Woodlands. (later Marpat)

He also still encourages his Marines to carry M1 Garands like they did when he went to OCS.  Damned M16s!  They don't make 'em like they used to!  

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 3:18:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
so why does ACU some times look pink?
Has anyone else seen this or is it just me?

Fire retardant ACU's look pink.  This is why I prefer the flightsuit in the field, as it also has zippers and less velcro.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 3:27:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While Multicam may be great for most terrain in our current engagements, I hardly think it's universal - like coyote, it seems to stand out in dark woodland areas.

I think the military should adopt three camo patterns: a universal camo (like Multicam) to be issued to everyone, a dedicated woodland pattern to be issued only in the event of deployment to that type of terrain, and a dedicated desert pattern.

Also need a dedicated artic/winter pattern... Probably wouldn't get used much, but when you need it, you need it.

like the new MARPAT snow camo?

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#35]
here's a press release for the MARPAT snow pattern:

(January 29, 2008 Vancouver, B.C.) The Camouflage design team of Dr. Timothy R. O'Neill and Guy Cramer have had their first jointly developed U.S. Military pattern to be issued: The United States Marine Corps Disruptive Overwhite (Snow Camouflage)

HyperStealth’s President/CEO Guy Cramer and his camouflage design partner Lt. Col. Timothy R. O’Neill Ph.D. (U.S. Army, Ret.) are both under contract to the U.S. military and have been so since 2004. They are working together on a number of programs to develop the United States Military next generation camouflage patterns. These programs are independent of HyperStealth Biotechnology Corp.

O'Neill developed DualTex camouflage for the U.S. Army in the late 70's and early 80's that was the catalyst for recent pixalated patterns, and he is also one of the Patent holders for MARPAT (U.S. Marines Pattern). Cramer, who developed proprietary fractal algorithms to increase camouflage pattern effectiveness, was commissioned by King Abdullah II (Jordan) in 2003 developed the pixalated KA2 pattern for Jordan - which now has seven color schemes and over 750,000 uniforms manufactured for military, police, civil defense and customs officers. Together the team has developed camouflage patterns for other U.S. Government programs and for a number of other countries (to be announced within the next few months).    

The USMC Disruptive Overwhite Uniform Program was overseen by USMC Program Manager Infantry Combat Equipment (PMICE) and the U.S. Army Soldiers System Center (Natick).

The USMC Snow Camouflage was developed by Cramer/O'Neill in 2005. After reviewing most of the worlds different snow camouflage patterns used in both military and hunting, the team developed and simulated over 30 new disruptive snow patterns, determining the top three patterns which were presented to the USMC Scout/Sniper School, Quantico for final selection. The final pattern used a subtle gray fractal/digital disruptive array to improve camouflage effect in identified operational areas and conditions.

The final pattern selected by the Snipers underwent strict simulation studies using rigorous photosimulation methods developed at West point in 2006 at the United States Military Academy (USMA), with results which only equaled the current issue Overwhite (all white) Snow Uniform. The pattern was then revised by Cramer/O'Neill modifying the color, contrast, and size of arrays  to optimize the visual effect and retested at the USMA; Objective photosimulation testing showed that the Disruptive Overwhite pattern equaled and significantly exceeded the previous all white Overwhites for concealment in a series of tests within Snow covered Negative (open areas) and Positive (covered areas) regions. In November 2006 the USMC Disruptive Overwhite parka and trousers and Pack Covers were issued to the Mountain Warfare Training Center and to the Marine Reserve unit at Elmendorf AFB in Alaska for final field evaluations.

Field trials confirmed the previous results and the USMC began to issue the uniform in November 2007 with an initialed Acquisition Objective (AO) of 20,000 uniforms, this supplemented the Initial delivery of 4000 parkas, trousers, and pack covers used for field trials which was completed in December 2006 .

The Disruptive Overwhite Garment weighs no more than 0.65 lbs each and can be self stowed in a 6in. x 9in. pocket. With high tear strength in each direction, the cloth has a water repellent treatment durable to 50 laundering cycles, low air permeability, good drapeability, soft hand for low noise signature when moving, and is opaque to prevent woodland MARPAT undergarment strike through that diminishes the snow camouflage cover.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Army has never been that brilliant at this.  That goes for many of its projects.

It was The Army that LED the movment towards digital camo AND digital uniforms.
Both the USMC and the Canadians came to The Army for this.

It was The Army that LED the trend towards the reversed leather/unpolished boot.
It was proposed in 1983 but went nowhere because they couldn't get all services on board.

But, the Army does fuck up the details, on occasion.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was The Army that LED the trend towards the reversed leather/unpolished boot.

It was proposed in 1983 but went nowhere because they couldn't get all services on board.

they might have come to them because of the testing facilities at NATICK but the Army didnt test any 'digital' (pixelated) patterns for uniforms until after CADPAT and MARPAT were fielded

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they might have come to them because of the testing facilities at NATICK but the Army didnt test any 'digital' (pixelated) patterns for uniforms until after CADPAT and MARPAT were fielded

Nope.
The Army was working on digital camo as far back as the early 1980s.
They did a test on vehicle digital camo, but they were working on digital uniform camo after that.

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured the winter uniform would be a white hooded poncho and overpants that go on over your regular uniform.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

They did a test on vehicle digital camo, but they were working on digital uniform camo after that.

oh, youre talking about Dual-Tex.  it was only tested on vehicles, as you said.

these were the patterns in the running for the ACU (along with multicam):

after MARPAT was fielded, these patterns were all dumped and current ACU pattern appeared almost out of nowhere and was never subjected to the kinds of testing that the above patterns were

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8a/Track_Pattern.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/All_Over_Brush_Pattern.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Shadow_Line_Pattern.JPG

after MARPAT was fielded, these patterns were all dumped and current ACU pattern appeared almost out of nowhere and was never subjected to the kinds of testing that the above patterns were

ACU did appear out of nowhere.
Major fuckup all around, when they had solid designs in their hands.

But, the two Marine snipers who came up with the revised uniform concept UNEQUIVOCABLY gave The Army credit for digital uniform camo.  As they stated, the USMC and Canada argued about "the chicken and the egg", but said The Army was "the rooster".
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adding salt to the dye will darken the color and I've been told, when the cloth has a synthetic component, to add a bottle of isopropyl alcohol to help the dye penetrate the synthetic fibres.  The 50% Nylon in this case.

What's all that do for IR visibility?
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://www.milspecmonkey.com/articles/acu-pic02.jpg

Where did his chest go?
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

But, the two Marine snipers who came up with the revised uniform concept UNEQUIVOCABLY gave The Army credit for digital uniform camo.  As they stated, the USMC and Canada argued about "the chicken and the egg", but said The Army was "the rooster".
well the MARPAT patent says this:

"After extensive laboratory analysis and testing,
a variation of the CADPAT pattern, empirically modified by theartistic
interpretation and visual experience of well trained and seasoned Marine
Corps Scout Snipers was selected and designated as MARPAT (Marine Corps
Pattern.)"

they do mention Dual-Tex research in the Prior Art section of the patent

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#45]
nevermind

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

i think you were being sarcastic, right?

^^  ACU vs CADPAT

although there is usually no black in nature, there are shadows which apper the eye to be black.  CADPAT does use black to create the effect of shadows

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 7:35:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

well the MARPAT patent says this:

"After extensive laboratory analysis and testing,a variation of the CADPAT pattern, empirically modified by theartisticinterpretation and visual experience of well trained and seasoned MarineCorps Scout Snipers was selected and designated as MARPAT (Marine CorpsPattern.)"

they do mention Dual-Tex research in the Prior Art section of the patent

Like I've always said, "There's history, and then there's Marine Corps history."  

I'll take the word of one of the the USMC snipers who led the project.
He wrote an article and I think it's still on www.militarymorons.com

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Cammo pattern is just one aspect of knowing how not to be seen..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltmMJntSfQI
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

like the new MARPAT snow camo?

http://i41.tinypic.com/10rv1qx.jpg

im digging this snow camo. i need it for coyote hunting. it ought to be on e bay anytime now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm thinking that if you look at the background in that pic you will see that black is actually the primary color seen - not because of the actual color, but rather because the absence of light (as in shadow) = black.

-K
Page / 5
Top Top