Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Holy big pictures batman!!!

They are great size for me.......24" monitor!!!!

I used this recipe also. It works great. Lots of white/gray smoke, but it gets hot quick. I have also used soup cans and poured the mixture into those.

Usually can get Salt Petre at drug stores. If they ask you what its for tell em that your mother/grandmother uses it on her roses.

POSTED BY SteyrAUG
Well first you used the wrong recipie. You don't use PN. I posted the correct recipie on the older smoke bomb thread. There is NO PN in it at all.

ETA: Here is what you do...

OK, here we go. The only tough ingredient is saltpetre but I imagine that is pretty simple to find in these internet days. If I could get it at 12 we can surely find it now.

The most effective mix (from experiments at a 12 year old) is about FOUR PARTS SUGAR to SIX PARTS SALTPETRE.

Cook it on LOW until it melts into a plastic like substance with a waxlike consistency. Do this OUTSIDE in a pan you don't want anymore. You don't want to cook this shit in your kitchen and God help you if you manage to burn it (aka light it).

When it gels up nice nemove it from the heat and allow it to cool. When it cools enough to handle make your desired shapes (baseball size is good for smoke suitable for things like paintball - football size and you will smoke out a football field).

As a tip when it is still maleable dump a bunch of matchheads into the mix to help keep it burning (about 12 match heads per baseball size object). And use a cannon fuse to light (I usually use about a foot of cannon fuse with 2/3 folded into the substance and 1/3 sticking out).

The best method I found was to use aluminum pie tins as molds. Four the mixture into the pie tin (or cook it in the pie tin) until you have a pancake size amount about 3/4 of an inch thick. Then dump about a dozen match heads on the pancake and roll it up like a burrito (at the same time rolling 12 inches of cannon fuse inside it) Then fold the whole burrito shaped object over one time and mold it into something like a small football shape.

Experiment for best size to smoke results.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Saltpeter is potassium nitrate, KNO3
The drug store should have it, or a good garden store.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it legal to make/burn these?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Why would it be illegal?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would it be illegal?

That can be said of lots of things that are illegal.

Why is it illegal to put dry-ice in a soda bottle?

Why is it illegal to carry fire on an airplane?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would it be illegal?

That can be said of lots of things that are illegal.

Why is it illegal to put dry-ice in a soda bottle?

Why is it illegal to carry fire on an airplane?

It's illegal to make bottle bombs?  I guess I've broken the law dozens of times.  But I use HCl toilet cleaner and aluminum foil.  I've also made certain high explosives, but I won't incriminate myself.

Just tell the cops that it's a binary explosive (and not even an explosive.)  If tannerite is legal, wouldn't this stuff be?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Im guessing that it is legal in states that are firework friendly.  Lucky for me Im in one of those states.  I did not know it was illegal for the dry ice in a soda bottle.  Learn someting new all the time.  Well I just got back from Home Depot and they do have it.  For a 1lb bottle it ran me just under $6.  So I got 2 so I do not have to run back so fast.  As for the pics they are not bad if you run your 17" at  High Color 32 and at 1024X768 But I guess there are many here in their "Golden Age" that need theirs set at 800x600.  Dont feel bad I will get there as well someday.  Ill wip up a batch here and get some pics up soon.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#10]
tagaroo
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Brings back memories.

I had a friend incinerate his kitchen while making up a bunch of that stuff. He had premixed several pounds of it and apparently was heating small quantities of it on the stove when it ignited. Needless to say the burning gunk sent sparks into the stuff he had premixed and the whole mess went off.

This guy’s parents weren’t home. W got the call that he needed help and raced over. Within 30 minutes he had a dozen friends over there trying to clean up the mess. But there’s no way to hide charred cabinet doors, a badly burned countertop, or a melted coffee maker.

Lessons learned…

Wear eye protection and fire protective clothing. (heavy cotton, no polyester or nylon)
Do this outdoors.
Don’t mix up huge quantities at once and keep the premixed powder away from the burner. (It will burn just fine without heating.)
Don’t heat too much at once.
Rig up a double boiler and heat the mixture in that. There’s less chance of a cook off that way.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Brings back memories.

I had a friend incinerate his kitchen while making up a bunch of that stuff. He had premixed several pounds of it and apparently was heating small quantities of it on the stove when it ignited. Needless to say the burning gunk sent sparks into the stuff he had premixed and the whole mess went off.

This guy’s parents weren’t home. W got the call that he needed help and raced over. Within 30 minutes he had a dozen friends over there trying to clean up the mess. But there’s no way to hide charred cabinet doors, a badly burned countertop, or a melted coffee maker.

Lessons learned…

Wear eye protection and fire protective clothing. (heavy cotton, no polyester or nylon)
Do this outdoors.
Don’t mix up huge quantities at once and keep the premixed powder away from the burner. (It will burn just fine without heating.)
Rig up a double boiler and heat the mixture in that. There’s less chance of a cook off that way.

Good advise.  Just made one out of a toilet paper roll and waiting for friends to get off work.  I love being retired!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Ready to go just waiting for the fan club to get home!

I placed the stuff inside of a toilet paper roll and packed tight.  Weight is between 1/4 and 1/2 lb.  Multiple fuse for faster burn.  Duck taped just because I was bored!  Makes it more evil looking I guess.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I placed the stuff inside of a toilet paper roll and packed tight.  Weight is between 1/4 and 1/2 lb.  Multiple fuse for faster burn.  Duck taped just because I was bored!  Makes it more evil looking I guess.

photobucket.com/albums/v189/vedubin01/th_fire.jpg

If you seal it up, it may actually explode, so be careful.  If you just leave it in the open, it burns nice and slowly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photobucket.com/albums/v189/vedubin01/th_fire.jpg

If you seal it up, it may actually explode, so be careful.  If you just leave it in the open, it burns nice and slowly.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#16]
So where are the pics of one that worked?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#17]
ITs the one in the tube.  I tested a sample so I know this will work.  I live in a Hi rise condo here in Miami and I did not want to have to much smoke blowing off of the balcony.  Im just waiting for the call then Im off to a friends house with camera in tow.  I promise to have this up later tonight.  I so just want to light and laugh.  

If anyone is a camera buff I could use your help.  I have a digital camera that I just got and it has manual settings on it as well as auto.  Since I am going to pop this off tonight with street lights what would be a good setting to set the camera up to be able to get the best pics for this shot.  

I am new to the manual camera thing but I got a nice camera.  Nikon Coolpix 8800.  Let me know or Im just going to let it ride in Auto and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ITs the one in the tube.  I tested a sample so I know this will work.  I live in a Hi rise condo here in Miami and I did not want to have to much smoke blowing off of the balcony.  Im just waiting for the call then Im off to a friends house with camera in tow.  I promise to have this up later tonight.  I so just want to light and laugh.  

If anyone is a camera buff I could use your help.  I have a digital camera that I just got and it has manual settings on it as well as auto.  Since I am going to pop this off tonight with street lights what would be a good setting to set the camera up to be able to get the best pics for this shot.  

I am new to the manual camera thing but I got a nice camera.  Nikon Coolpix 8800.  Let me know or Im just going to let it ride in Auto and hope for the best.

Wipe your prints off the tape, light it and todd that fucker off hte balcony!!!!!

Video and report back!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag for finally (just maybe) a picture of one of these things working.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Tag for the "I got stopped by Miami Police for speeding and they arrested me because they thought I had a bomb" thread.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#21]
It works, I was not able to get a shot of the mass smoke that it put out but there was a lot.  For sure!  But adding multible fuses and taping it up caused it to burn at a high rate.  It was over in a matter of 10 sec.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#22]
You made a small one...

Go big.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Hohum.........
I'm thinking trash can sized.........
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You made a small one...

Go big.

Styer,

How big is big, This was the size of a toilet paper roll.  I have much more to go big but man that was a good flame ball for sure!

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Also is there anyway to slow the burn down?  That thing took off fast.  I know I had it wrapped but still!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Brings back memories.

Lessons learned…

Do this outdoors.

Good advise.  Just made one out of a toilet paper roll and waiting for friends to get off work.  I love being retired!

TP roll...

Come on..

I'm just waiting for one of you guys to try re-filling a spent HC White can (bonus points for an actual grenade fuse, or are those illegal?)....

P.S. for those suprised about the heat -> real smoke grenades get very hot as well... Don't shoot quite as much flame, but....

This mix seems more like an incinedrary device with smoke on the side, though...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Also is there anyway to slow the burn down?  That thing took off fast.  I know I had it wrapped but still!

Yes there is.  You can slow the burn rate down by adding baking soda to the mix.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#29]
This is such a taggable thread!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#30]
yep, that worked
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It works, I was not able to get a shot of the mass smoke that it put out but there was a lot.  For sure!  img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/vedubin01/b4526374.jpg

Hey Whitey!

Oh yeah, and TAG.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
[
I'm just waiting for one of you guys to try re-filling a spent HC White can (bonus points for an actual grenade fuse, or are those illegal?)....

Nope,  www.cannonfuse.com
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#33]
A way to slow the burn rate is to pack it down tightly, and do not confine it.  It will burn nice and slowly if you pack it down.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#34]
tag.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You made a small one...

Go big.

Styer,

How big is big, This was the size of a toilet paper roll.  I have much more to go big but man that was a good flame ball for sure!

Two words: Coffee can.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You made a small one...

Go big.

Styer,

OK done!  I will try to find a can tomorrow and pick up some more powder.  This will take some time because I got to cook several batches to get that big ass thing filled but I cant wait to see this go up in smoke!

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You made a small one...

Go big.

Styer,

OK done!  I will try to find a can tomorrow and pick up some more powder.  This will take some time because I got to cook several batches to get that big ass thing filled but I cant wait to see this go up in smoke!

Don't forget the match heads.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#39]
www.firefox-fx.com/
they have everything for some badass smoke bombs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I tested a 3/4-1 pound one a few years ago, it worked good but not as good as I planned (too much wind).  The plan was for me to stand on a hill near the San Fransisco bay (about a mile away) while my friends stayed over at my house and lit it while filming it.  I was going to photography the smoke cloud.  Unfortunately the wind pretty much prevented this.  I used this oportunity to test some new Uniden FRM/GRS radios I got.  It worked fairly well, but my friend who was in charge of the filiming had an issue and didn't start filiming until it had probably burned half way.  I used a 70/30 mixture, so it burned fast and hot.  Here are a few pics (and some vidcaps).  Keep in mind the video was taken with a digital still camera, so they aren't too good.  Also, the smoke bomb was about half as big as when it started (I kept chipping pieces off and using them).  The way I make them, I pack them into a mold under pressure, and the consistancy is like hard caramel.  This makes them behave like a rocket engine sometimes.

As you can see, it smoked up my street but didn't really go "up".  

Here was my view:

Dissapointing.   Soon I am going to make some new ones.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd also like to mention another experiment I did which actually did not turn out to well for me, but it made a huge amount of BLACK smoke.  I took a 5 gallon water jug (the kind used in those inverted water dispensers) and cut the bottom off.  I then put a rubber seal around the bottom.  I put a schrader tire valve on it, and sealed the top.  I sat a tub of wood chips for a smoker mixed with potassium nitrate on a piece of plywood and put the water container on top of it.  I then lit it, put the cover on real fast, then used a large air compressor to pump air into the container while pressurizing it.  Well, it basically exploded and made a HUGE black smoke cloud.  It was pretty awesome, but I didn't think to film it since I wasn't expecting such a dramatic reaction.  It really scorched the area too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes there is.  You can slow the burn rate down by adding baking soda to the mix.

And sulfur.  Mix in about 10% sulfur by weight.

(you can get "flowers of sulfur" at any garden shop)

Not only will it reduce the burn rate a little, it will add to the flavor of the smoke.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#43]
You can replace the potassium nitrate with potassium chlorate with greater results.  If you are interested in this sort of thing, take a lot of chemistry classes and read through this book:

Link

You really need to make sure you know the chemistry behind some of this stuff or you can really get hurt.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And sulfur.  Mix in about 10% sulfur by weight.

(you can get "flowers of sulfur" at any garden shop)

Not only will it reduce the burn rate a little, it will add to the flavor of the smoke.

But now your getting into the black powder mix.  I know this is close, but are you sure.  WE as kids would use 6/4/2 parts saltpetre, sulfur,charcoal (sugar/carbon base) and it would be just about that point for black powder.  Sure it was fun and smelled like the 4th of July but there were times that we got lucky to still have all fingers!

Drug stores sell the Flowers of Sulfur still today for about $1.  

We just made up a bit bigger batch and poured it over a leftover wood floor panel.  It was about 10" round and about 1/4" thick.  It burned much slower and put off more smoke than the one before.  The can is going to be freaking crazy for sure.  Violent for SURE!  That one will get a super long fuse!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#45]
So I messed around today with just a powder mixture as I didn't have a pan I was willing to ruin yet.

Even just a beer can 1/4 of the two ingredients in powder form puts off a hell of a lot of smoke and burns completely. How much better doesn't actually melting the stuff together make it?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
So I messed around today with just a powder mixture as I didn't have a pan I was willing to ruin yet.

Even just a beer can 1/4 of the two ingredients in powder form puts off a hell of a lot of smoke and burns completely. How much better doesn't actually melting the stuff together make it?

ITs about the same but you are making sure it is mixed completely when melted down.  Also you can form it into what ever you want to put it in and not have to worry about the stuff going everywhere.  It is violent for sure!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Does it produce harmful smoke?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Tag-a-roonie
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Does it produce harmful smoke?

Sure Im sure all smoke is harmful but it smells like the 4th of july.  Same products used!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Is it illegal to make a mechanical ignition device? If not, I have a project for tomorrow

But, only if it's legal, because I don't intend on going to club fed
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top