Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Cho was declared mentally ill by a VA. Special Justice and an "Imminent danger to others".

Shit is gonna fly now. Why did they allow him to buy a gun?

Because he lied on the form, and I'll bet privacy laws didn't allow the State Police to be notified for a background check. The last is just a guess.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just in on CNN.

2 years ago Cho was declared mentally ill by a VA. Special Justice in a court order and was called an "Imminent danger to others".

Shit is gonna fly now. Why did they allow him to buy a gun? Does this kind of information not get passed on to NICS, or do they rely solely on the truthfulness of the applicant on the forms.

Oh shit!

All my arguments in this thread are null and void. IBshitstorm

Me =
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#3]

CNN is reporting that this guy WAS adjudicated mentally defective in 2005. The lack of communication of this sort of thing and NICS has been, to my knowledge, an acknowledged issue in the past. This guy lied on the form, the system didn't catch it. If it isn't obvious, this means this was not a "legal gun" (to use the corollary to Bloomberg's nonsensical term).
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In . . . AFTER the lock???

An arfcom first??

There have been 5 In-After-The-Locks, and 1 Edit-After-The-Locks in the history of teh ARFCOM.

Most just don't get the publicity they deserve.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
On CNN moments ago:

CHo sent NBC news correspondence that was turned over to the FBI. It included pictures and writing.

I guess he wanted to tell us why he felt he should kill a bunch of innocent people.

ETA: Sent "days ago" Oh shit!

ETA2: Sent "between the two shootings"
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]
That means that the gun laws would and SHOULD have caught him......it was the govt's fault.....not that poor gun store owner who got assaulted by the media. Bet the media wont correct themselves.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just in on CNN.

2 years ago Cho was declared mentally ill by a VA. Special Justice in a court order and was called an "Imminent danger to others".

Shit is gonna fly now. Why did they allow him to buy a gun? Does this kind of information not get passed on to NICS, or do they rely solely on the truthfulness of the applicant on the forms.

The legal shitstorm from this fuck up is going to be of epic proportions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Cho took the time to send a package to NBC IN BETWEEN the first and second shootings...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]
State of VA screwed up, his time in the loony bin should have sealed the deal.

Laws exist that should have gained him a visit from the Feds and an arrest, as he was a prohibited purchaser.

So, the lesson here, enforce the laws we have and these problems would be minimized.

Wow.... hope the media runs with that logic...

Never happen, but sure would be nice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
State of VA screwed up, his time in the loony bin should have sealed the deal.

Laws exist that should have gained him a visit from the Feds and an arrest, as he was a prohibited purchaser.

So, the lesson here, enforce the laws we have and these problems would be minimized.

Wow.... hope the media runs with that logic...

Never happen, but sure would be nice.

'MSM logic' should be an oxymoron.

www.oxymoronlist.com/
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Funny how Charlie Gibson is already back at home base in NYC.  I imagine if the shooter had been a White, Christian, hetero ARFCOMMER, they would relocate World News to Virginia to stay close to the source of the story.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
So it turns out he was nuttier than squirrel shit.  

If the Fed's are going to have the NICS system, it sure as hell better work and in this case it failed horribly.  Whoever is in charge of NICS should get ready for an ass reaming and a shitstorm of lawsuits.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So it turns out he was nuttier than squirrel shit.  

If the Fed's are going to have the NICS system, it sure as hell better work and in this case it failed horribly.  Whoever is in charge of NICS should get ready for an ass reaming and a shitstorm of lawsuits.

Why the fuck even have a NICS background check done if whackjobs are still allowed to buy a gun?

I always wondered what the person on the other end of the phone is doing when my gundealer is calling in my background check... I guess not a whole lot of anything.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
So this Jackass sends his suicide note / video to NBC, go figure
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The shooter's father killed himself with a knife; his mother attempted suicide but is in critical condition.  

I thought they came out and said that was untrue, but they were in a hospital for shock or some such thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The shooter's father killed himself with a knife; his mother attempted suicide but is in critical condition.  

I can't imagine the hell those two went through.  Prayers to them and everyone else affected.  

english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200704/200704180028.html

Sorry, but this is an unsubstantiated report from an unreliable source. Word is they have been hospitalized, but they did not attempt suicide.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The problem here is that this guy was a fucking whack job.  Warning signs were ignored because administrators were afraid of lawsuits.

You have no idea how true that is.

This kid was so nuts that his teachers and classmates were scared of him. The teachers referred him to counseling....

But did anyone call the cops and say "You know, this kid is really kind of scary. Maybe you guys should keep a close eye on him."

Nope.

Why not?

"Privacy" concerns.

Politically correct thinking infects every area of a university, including those areas charged with safety and security.

+100

With the sheer volume of warning signs ignored in the name of political correctness and guns will be the culprit.

People demonstrating such clear signs of disturbed thoughts and actions shouldn't simply be ignored. I don't know a better way to put it. I also do not mean we assist them with attention either in their self interest of self pity. Reading and watching all that has been on the news just leaves me astounded.

Quoted:
Just in on CNN.

UN F'n Believable.

And we need more gun laws??! PLEASE.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting write up....I have to 100% agree.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18174900/

Schools need to teach students to be aggressive
Security analyst tells TODAY how schools should prepare for attacks

By Mike Celizic
TODAYshow.com contributor
TODAY
Updated: 11:05 a.m. CT April 18, 2007

Cowering under a desk and waiting for help to come is no longer an option. American schools must teach their students to respond aggressively to attacks by people bent on mayhem.

"I would hope that the administrators and folks that are making the decisions would understand that it’s difficult to negotiate with a bullet," security consultant Allen Hill told TODAY. "A person that comes into your facility with a gun intends to kill and do you harm."

The founder of Response Options, a Texas-based security company, said, "Get past this paralysis of fear over liability issues. Our country is so litigious and concerned about doing the wrong thing and about doing the politically correct thing that we don’t do anything."

That only helps people like Cho Seung Hui. "The bad guys are counting on Americans to sit still and do nothing," Hill said.

Students and others need to realize that they do have options, Hill said.

The "bad guys" plan their attacks. Schools need to plan and rehearse their defenses and responses just as aggressively.

"The training should be just as intense and be taken just as seriously as the bad guy takes their mission to kill," he said.

At Virginia Tech, Cho Seung Hui walked into classrooms and simply shot people. There are reports that he even lined up victims to shoot them one by one. But in one Norris Hall classroom, student Zach Petkewicz led his classmates in barricading the door, saving all inside.

Petkewicz’ response was instinctive, prompted by "adrenaline and fear."

Hill’s company teaches acting from knowledge and a well-rehearsed plan.

"Once the bad guy’s inside, how hard is it to hit a non-moving target?" Hill observed.

"Get up and move," he advised. "Do whatever it takes to create chaos and mayhem. Disrupt them. Make them go into a protective mode themselves. We feel that we can become actively aggressive for our own benefit, whether that’s actively running out of the classroom, having to face the gunman and take him down, breaking out windows and escaping that way."

You can’t wait for something to happen and then try to form a response, he said. It’s got to be done in advance.

Security systems are passive, he said. But those under attack can be active.

Said Hill: "There are things that you can do to take the initiative away from the bad guy, to disrupt their plan and to create a situation that’s winnable for you."
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:24:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Today I was arguing with one of my friends who is a moderate. He's an asshole republican on economic issues and social issues, aka "Wall Street Journal" republican, but is a limp wristed wussy when it comes to guns. Doing a"scientific" study, he claimed that he did a regression analysis showing that looser gun laws results in more gun crimes (I laughed in his ignorant face).

Simple regression tells you nothing.  The good studies which have been done use more sophisticated statistical methods.  See some of the work by Lott and the stuff Lott cites.  

You live in VA?  VA has much nicer gun laws than MD or DC, but MD and DC have violent crimes rates many times those of VA.  In fact, VA's violent crime rate is similar to that of bucolic Minnesota!

GunLvr
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:34:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Funny how Charlie Gibson is already back at home base in NYC.  I imagine if the shooter had been a White, Christian, hetero ARFCOMMER, they would relocate World News to Virginia to stay close to the source of the story.

I suspect that you are correct.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
In AFTER The Lock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A first for me on ARF!!!!!!!

Ok...
I saw Ted and thought he did an excellent job tonight on Glenn Beck.

He cited many CCW life saving events like the mall shooting in Utah.

Ted did good things tonight.

I listend to The Motor City Motor Mouth yesterday morning on Glenn's radio show.  He sounded good.  I think the secret is to get to Ted before he has his first cup of coffee
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top