Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Problem is that a good majority of PDs and police are nothing more than uber-tactical wanna-be's. Most have alittle more training than your average mall-ninja and a limited understanding of the laws they have been hired to enforce. One of my Privates has more weapons training than the average police officer. This isnt necessarily the officers fault, but simply a reflection of their limited budget. This continued movement to para-military police forces really bothers me.

I have to comment.

I work for a smaller (30 man) department. I call bullshit and fuck you on the wanna be comment. We are forced to make do with what we have most of the time, even though our budget is pretty generous.  We serve our own search warrants and high risk arrest warrants and we do so in a manner consistent with current case law and department policy. Our officers are regularly given legal updates and roll-call briefs on changes in that regard.
 As for the mall-ninja comment, whatever. You are on the outside looking in and that is that. Th fact is that alot of cops are not "gun-guys' and have really very little interst in firearms outside of qualification. So what? The knowledge of WHEN to use force is generally of greater value to a patrol officer.
And as for your private knowing more about the employment and operation of tactical weapons in MY environment, not likely. Ever. Get you private to plan, co-ordinate and execute a warrant service on a meth lab.  That would impress me. That is when he's not busy flipping burgers.
Let's clarify this whole "paramilitary" thing again. The American policing structure is paramilitary and should always be paramilitary. This has been the case for over 100 years and it works. It's that way for the sheer benefit of clarity. Chain of command, discipline, morale, accountability etc. This constant whining about paramilitary this and that, is shit.
If a department wants to give M-4's to its officers, what does anyone here care? If a departments SWAT team needs an armored vehicle for resues and raids, who cares? If there SWAT team wears woodland bdu's why the fuss?And the balaclava issue, good God , get over it already.
I have been and always will be partial to the class Alpha and Bravo traditional uniforms but the officers comfort and unfettered ability to execute his function supercedes the opinions of the people that he serves.
That said,l I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. With only a coulpe of paranoid, moronic exceptions it has been a remarkably refreshing discourse.

Just for clarity , I was a Soldier for 13 years, In the 3d ID and The 101st Airborne Division(AASLT)11he9 and 11B.

Carry on gents.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
well, lets see:
1) It's the same style of uniform that I currently wear and there seems to be no additonal pockets of any type.

2) Metal badge and nameplate are a no-go for high(er) intensity policing. If the uniform is to be truly utilitarian, a cloth badge replicating the metal one and an embroidered nametape would be preferable.

3) Leather duty gear is not optimal. too heavy. Synthetic, a-la Sfariland or nylon duty gear is the way to go.

4) The color is good. My agency however , wears solid grey with a balck stripe on the trousers. A grey bdu style uniform would look okay, but it show dirt easily, like my Bravo's already do.

Overall I would give the uniform depicted a C-; decent but not really what the doctor ordered.
Oh, and by the way, that dude needs to press his frickin' uniform. He looks like a rag-bag.

The pic. my have taken at the end of a long day but, IMHO it was not pressed at the start of the day.
Look at his duty belt, it has seen much use but POLISH will make it better. A officer that takes himself into the public should present a professional appearance. Would you want to climb into a squad car after him? His care of his appearance shows a lack of discipline, and it will reflect in his work.
When I worked as a LEO there was always a pressed uniform in the locker. Also when I went on the street as a Medic I had, noe in the locker, one in the truck, and a pressed uniform on when I reported for shift.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
well, lets see:
1) It's the same style of uniform that I currently wear and there seems to be no additonal pockets of any type.
Agreed on the pockets.
Uniform is not polyester, is BDU like fabric, and is cut like work clothes, not like a formal suit.

2) Metal badge and nameplate are a no-go for high(er) intensity policing. If the uniform is to be truly utilitarian, a cloth badge replicating the metal one and an embroidered nametape would be preferable.
I agree on the nameplate, disagree on the badge.
The badge worn should be metal.

3) Leather duty gear is not optimal. too heavy. Synthetic, a-la Sfariland or nylon duty gear is the way to go.
Agreed - I have seen USBP officers/agents (guys in the pic) wearing both.
I think the guy in that pic just likes leather.

4) The color is good. My agency however , wears solid grey with a balck stripe on the trousers. A grey bdu style uniform would look okay, but it show dirt easily, like my Bravo's already do.
If it is gonna show dirt, it might as well be made to get dirty!

Overall I would give the uniform depicted a C-; decent but not really what the doctor ordered.
Oh, and by the way, that dude needs to press his frickin' uniform. He looks like a rag-bag.

Well, I guess we can agree to diagree on the badge, I have worn cloth badges on various uniform articles: sweaters, jackets etc. The policy was that the cloth badge had to exactly replicate the uniform badge and it was a controlled and inventoried item. If executed properly, a cloth badge can be every bit as official as a metal one.
I have always kept my metal one in my squad, along with my ID card, though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Problem is that a good majority of PDs and police are nothing more than uber-tactical wanna-be's. Most have alittle more training than your average mall-ninja and a limited understanding of the laws they have been hired to enforce. One of my Privates has more weapons training than the average police officer. This isnt necessarily the officers fault, but simply a reflection of their limited budget. This continued movement to para-military police forces really bothers me.

I have to comment.

I work for a smaller (30 man) department. I call bullshit and fuck you on the wanna be comment. We are forced to make do with what we have most of the time, even though our budget is pretty generous.  We serve our own search warrants and high risk arrest warrants and we do so in a manner consistent with current case law and department policy. Our officers are regularly given legal updates and roll-call briefs on changes in that regard.
 As for the mall-ninja comment, whatever. You are on the outside looking in and that is that. Th fact is that alot of cops are not "gun-guys' and have really very little interst in firearms outside of qualification. So what? The knowledge of WHEN to use force is generally of greater value to a patrol officer.
And as for your private knowing more about the employment and operation of tactical weapons in MY environment, not likely. Ever. Get you private to plan, co-ordinate and execute a warrant service on a meth lab.  That would impress me. That is when he's not busy flipping burgers.
Let's clarify this whole "paramilitary" thing again. The American policing structure is paramilitary and should always be paramilitary. This has been the case for over 100 years and it works. It's that way for the sheer benefit of clarity. Chain of command, discipline, morale, accountability etc. This constant whining about paramilitary this and that, is shit.
If a department wants to give M-4's to its officers, what does anyone here care? If a departments SWAT team needs an armored vehicle for resues and raids, who cares? If there SWAT team wears woodland bdu's why the fuss?And the balaclava issue, good God , get over it already.
I have been and always will be partial to the class Alpha and Bravo traditional uniforms but the officers comfort and unfettered ability to execute his function supercedes the opinions of the people that he serves.
That said,l I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. With only a coulpe of paranoid, moronic exceptions it has been a remarkably refreshing discourse.

Just for clarity , I was a Soldier for 13 years, In the 3d ID and The 101st Airborne Division(AASLT)11he9 and 11B.

Carry on gents.

Zing!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Once more I say it has nothing to do with a uniform when you already hate cops.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
well, lets see:
Agreed on the pockets.
Uniform is not polyester, is BDU like fabric, and is cut like work clothes, not like a formal suit.

Well, I guess we can agree to diagree on the badge, I have worn cloth badges on various uniform articles: sweaters, jackets etc. The policy was that the cloth badge had to exactly replicate the uniform badge and it was a controlled and inventoried item. If executed properly, a cloth badge can be every bit as official as a metal one.I have always kept my metal one in my squad, along with my ID card, though.

Agreed, it's just that for me, a metal badge has that certain je nais se cois, if you know what I mean?
Just more aesthetically pleasing.
But, that's my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I like traditional uniforms for "routine" duty (traffic enforcement, patrol) and BDU's for tactical assignments (drug raids, etc.)  Our sheriff's department utilizes a uniform that is a cross between the traditional uniform and BDU's that doesn't appear militaristic, but which provides comfort and tactical benefits (extra pockets, subdued color, etc.)  With all the dirt bags on the streets, I can't blame them for adopting a more aggresive profile.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A lot of the cops here still wear dark uniforms. I don't see how they stand it when they have to out in the summer sun doing whatever. I burn up in shorts and a t shirt. That dark poly uniform must be a real bitch.
Give 'em rip stop something or another. The days of the chappeau wearing Officer Friendly is over. Give 'em something more duty oriented.

A clown costume
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
well, lets see:
Agreed on the pockets.

Well, I guess we can agree to diagree on the badge, I have worn cloth badges on various uniform articles: sweaters, jackets etc. The policy was that the cloth badge had to exactly replicate the uniform badge and it was a controlled and inventoried item. If executed properly, a cloth badge can be every bit as official as a metal one.I have always kept my metal one in my squad, along with my ID card, though.

Agreed, it's just that for me, a metal badge has that certain je nais se cois, if you know what I mean?
Just more aesthetically pleasing.
But, that's my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

I fully agree and 99.99percent of the time that what I wear. I won't even regularly wear a jacket when its cold simply because I dont want to cover my"bling". Straight old school, I am.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A lot of the cops here still wear dark uniforms. I don't see how they stand it when they have to out in the summer sun doing whatever. I burn up in shorts and a t shirt. That dark poly uniform must be a real bitch.
Give 'em rip stop something or another. The days of the chappeau wearing Officer Friendly is over. Give 'em something more duty oriented.

A clown costume

Honestly, I wouldn't matter what color the uniform was if their wearing their body armor. I would rather be sweaty than dead beacause I was too much of a puss to wear my armor and sweat a little. The way I stand it is to work Morning Watch. (1800-0600)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A clown costume

What is YOUR malfunction numb nuts? Cop hater? Did my jackboot leave a mark on your neck?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You should try wearing a WOOL uniform in the so cal desert. I would love to switch to a lighter poly fabric over the wool we currently use.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Post Number :: 74

GA, USA

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

I have to comment.

I work for a smaller (30 man) department. I call bullshit and fuck you on the wanna be comment. We are forced to make do with what we have most of the time, even though our budget is pretty generous. We serve our own search warrants and high risk arrest warrants and we do so in a manner consistent with current case law and department policy. Our officers are regularly given legal updates and roll-call briefs on changes in that regard.
And as for your private knowing more about the employment and operation of tactical weapons in MY environment, not likely. Ever. Get you private to plan, co-ordinate and execute a warrant service on a meth lab. That would impress me. That is when he's not busy flipping burgers.

Carry on gents.

Huh, I simply post an argument without resorting to curses and you johnnie law respond in typical indignant, Im a cop and you suck fashion. Many people in this country are concerned with the way PDs are heading. More and more wannabe SF types and treat average joe like a scumbag. You Sir are a civilian police officer and should look the professional part in a police uniform, not a military one. Special response teams I can see using a form of BDU(one the Military doesnt use). You look like a JBT, thats the way people are gonna view you.

I should say FU too, but unlike you Im far more professional, Good-day to you Sir, try to remember you serve the public.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow, great thread.

BDUs + Police = Fascism to me.

Illinois State Police really have a SHARP looking and professional, but POLICE uniform.

I have seen departments in BDUs, and even shorts.  Very unprofessional and raggedy looking.  The most common tool police officers use is a pen, and their image should reflect that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#17]
BDU's are cotton.  Polyester is plastic.  Plastic melts and will adhear to the skin.  Cotton wont.  Cotton is better at keeping you cool when the temp rises.  Polyester traps the heat, and doesn't insulate when it's cold.  BDU's provide better mobility, and are more comfortable, keeping your police offiers at the top of their game for longer.  BDU's require less "prep," so your police officers look better with less prep, which leads to less stress, which leads to better on the job performance.  

I don't see a downside.  I wear BDU pants to the store sometimes.  Does that make me a uber-tactical shopper?

Now, I don't see any reason to use the BDU top.....except in certain circumstances.  A polo shirt with the department/office logo and name embroidered would look much sharper and less "uber-tac" than the full BDU set, and it would be much better suited for LEO work (more adaptable, less mil-looking).  

The BDU top doesn't really do anything better than a polo/golf shirt does for LEO's (I don't think).  The pants do.  See above.  

Honestly, I'd work for less $ if I could wear a polo and BDU pants every day instead of the poly.  Not much less $, but less none the less.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#18]
That was the point I was trying to make. Perception, Professional appearance etc. BDUs, uber-tac gear, tends to scare the shit out of average joe. Iron'd shirt, slacks, polished leather belts, shined shoes, all present a professional, public appearance. If you arnt on a Tac-team leave your BDUs at home.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Hahaha, Dont know why but this pic seems to fit this thread

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#20]
If you get wet while wearing cotton, you need to change or you're going to be wet all day.  Not so with polyester.  There are advantages to everything.

Cotton uniforms look like crap.  Polyester looks much more professional, and will hold that crease all day.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone that has expereince with BDUs know that they hold a crease for quite a while also (if that is important to you).

When it comes to polo shirts, no thanks.  I prefer a shirt that I can get inside of easily in order to access my backup gun if needed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Poly vs. Cotton

Why not a poly cotton blend? I have a pair of khaki slacks that are blended, they hold a nice crease and don't get too wrinkled after a day of wear, yet even here in Austin, TX they are as comfortable as pants can be in our weather.

I feel for our PD, they are in all black uniforms. That has got to be a bitch in the summer. I would think khaki or grey would be preferable.

While I sympathize with those who fear the militarization of the police, they're just pants. Silly that they are wearing woodland, maybe. But I saw woodland camo pants at Old Navy the other day, hardly the most tactical of stores. Maybe there is a happy medium, we can let the po-po wear "cargo pants" and save the BDUs for the .mil.

96Ag
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Most of this talk reminds me of when we were doing Able Sentry.  The powers that be dictated exactly how the unifrom was to be worn...... kevlar so many inches from the bridge of the nose, bayonet exactly along the seam of the pant's leg, no compass unless you were team leader or above AND out of the camp on patrol, etc etc.  I prefer a unit that can function to the best of its ability than one that looks the best.

Whats that whole bit about a group being inspection ready not being combat ready?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/thedoctors308/press-ken.jpg
Pic resized.

To me, that is a good balance between functionality and professionalism in terms of a uniform.
The material is BDUish, but the style looks professional.
How does everyone else feel?

+1, I agree

If I want to see police in camo, I'll watch Red Dawn
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#26]
When I was a cop, I kept up my appearance very well.  I felt like the look reflected on our department, and so did our fellow officers.

Today, if I see a cop wearing BDU's I couldn't care less-good for them.  Comfort is a very big thing to me.

I loved my uniform and I would've loved BDU's, too.

HH
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Could have been Zubaz.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
well, lets see:

I'll give the officer the benifit of doubt that he is at the end of a long tour of duty. Now if the picture was taken at roll call, I'd agree with you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have to disagree with you on this.  If the people that pay your salary want you to wear a 3 piece suit so be it, they pay your salary and if you don't like it the work somewhere else.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If I am going to be out in public for any length of time, uncle sam frowns on me wearing my BDU's. Lunch at BK is OK, but not a trip to a shopping mall after work...
This is for good reason. BDU's are a utility uniform in the .mil. They do not present the most profesional appearance to the public.

+1
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Anyone that has expereince with BDUs know that they hold a crease for quite a while also (if that is important to you).

That is bullshit and you know it.  Even full of starch and professionally pressed, BDUs don't hold a crease worth a shit compared to polyester.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't mind the blue BDUs but the bloused boots look really gay. They scream "I wanna be an Airborne Ranger."  (Of course, maybe they just did an airborne infil or the chiggers and ticks are really bad in the patrol car)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#33]
You guys who are saying they look like commandos are wrong.  Everyone knows real commandos have beards and long hair, wear carhardt pants, ACU or DCU tops and carry a heavy ass lbv with ir flags, blood types, and velcro all over the place.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to disagree with you on this.  If the people that pay your salary want you to wear a 3 piece suit so be it, they pay your salary and if you don't like it the work somewhere else.

If this is the case I should have some say also since I pay just as much of my salary as you do.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is bullshit and you know it.  Even full of starch and professionally pressed, BDUs don't hold a crease worth a shit compared to polyester.

I dont know who you had starching your BDUs, but the Koreans in Fayetteville can put a crease in a set of BDUs that put the creases in police unifroms around here to shame.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I you want a good looking uniform that breaths and can be worn year round, get one out of 100% tropical worsted wool. I think the reason so many officers buy poly uniforms is they don't want to pay the dry cleaning bills.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The people don't pay my salary, they are not my boss, I am not on their pay roll. They also don't dictate what I can or can not wear. I like where I work just fine
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I think the reason so many officers buy poly uniforms is they don't want to pay the dry cleaning bills.

- Isnt us buying them because we want them
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If this is the case I should have some say also since I pay just as much of my salary as you do.

Well if the taxpayers in your area don't like the way their officers dress they can tell the mayor if a city and he can tell the top brass. If its a county they can tell the sheriff and if its that big of a deal to them and he doesn't follow their wishes someone else could be elected in his place. Thats the way it works in our country.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It is a better duty uniform then the standard LEO uniforms I have seen.  I'd give it a thumbs up.  I've seen some wear black jumpsuit type BDU's also.

Shiny shit on uniforms make good targets.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is a better duty uniform then the standard LEO uniforms I have seen.  I'd give it a thumbs up.  I've seen some wear black jumpsuit type BDU's also.

Lucky for LE that they don't work in a war zone.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Perhaps spandex would be better as the officers age and get larger they can grow into their uniforms.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if the taxpayers in your area don't like the way their officers dress they can tell the mayor if a city and he can tell the top brass. If its a county they can tell the sheriff and if its that big of a deal to them and he doesn't follow their wishes someone else could be elected in his place. Thats the way it works in our country.

No shit and my point still stands. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#44]
BDU's make sense if they are in a navy blue/black/brown/etc., but a woodland pattern is a bit odd. I would think that it would make it hard for John Q. Public to immediately identify an LEO as a cop.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the reason so many officers buy poly uniforms is they don't want to pay the dry cleaning bills.

- Isnt us buying them because we want them

Poly traps heat, pulls when it gets snagged, etc. I've worn different synthetic blend and 100% wool uniforms. In my opinion the 100% wool ones are more comfortable. But opinion are like assholes we all have them. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe all the police forces can get the exact same BDUs, with the exact same tactical boots.  Before long we'll  have what appears to be a national police force.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell that to big city LEOs
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The people don't pay my salary, they are not my boss, I am not on their pay roll. They also don't dictate what I can or can not wear. I like where I work just fine

If you work for .gov, that is a shitty 'tude. If you work for .gov and the voters get fed up with the way you do your job they can vote out the people above you and vote in ones who will change the way you do your job.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell that to big city LEOs

My father worked a Big City PD for 30 years.
It is a dangerous job.
It is not, however, a war zone.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Just for comparrison-

New South Wales (Australian State) Police utility uniform

Older (but still current) NSW Police general duties uniform

Current GD uniform with bloused cargo pants, combat boots and cap

Stupid "Hi Viz" police getup that they use in the Sydney CBD. Supposed to raise their profile...

NSW Police rank structure, just for comparrison

For those worries about militarised police

eta: better pic of new GD uniform
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top