Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The TV series COPS, has some real winners on it. I personally love the downtown pursuit where they are blowin red lights and the shotgun partner says "Clear right" just as they get T Boned. The COPS camera crew gets out bleeding and half knocked out. Second fav is the retard that breaks all the little 4x4 paynes of glass to gain entry to the wrong house during a fire call, his supervisor even asks him on camera how he thought he could get through a bunch of 4 inch by 4 inch holes.

Great comedy, that show!

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:22:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't have a problem with the officer unholstering hs weapon and even pointing it at the BG in this case. In fact, it was about the only damned thing he did RIGHT on that entire episode. Yeah, he got lots of arrests, but his officer safety, tactics, demeanor and professionalism SUCKED.

Some of the reasons why pointing a firearm was right:
-Suspicous person, in a suspicous place
-Known offender
-Furtive movements
-High-crime area
-Suspect moved to conceal himself
-Offense in presence or view (odor of burning marihuana.
-Couldn't see the suspect's hands

All of those things made it okay to point a weapon at the suspect, which isn't assault in my state, and probably isn't in NJ, either, for cops or Joe Citizen (the difference being that Joe Citizen doesn't have the authority to perform investigative detentions, and cops do).

He started screwing up before he even got out of the car, though.
-He left his car door open, car running (in the rain, no less. A wet patrolc ar seat at the beginning of a shift = ass rash by the end).
-His radio traffic was poor, vague and didn't happen very often. The cavalry can't come to your rescue if they don't know where you are or what you are doing.
-"Gangsta Style" will get you thrown off the range and into a remedial training loop. Nuff said. (there is an exception, and this wasn't it).
-You never actually jam your weapon into a suspect's body.(there is an exception, and this wasn't it).
-You never lay hands on a suspect with an unsecured weapon.(there is an exception, and this wasn't it).
-He never gave the suspect any meanigful verbal commands, like "let me see your hands" or "roll over onto your stomach." He basically just stood over the kid, begging to get kicked in the sack, until back-up arrived.
-You should never do a PC search of anyone who isn't secured in handcuffs.
-Once you have decide that someone is going to be arrested (which happened about 15 seconds into this one), they either need to be handcuffed, or talked into a safe control position until more cops show up. This is for everybody's safety; if you never give a bad guy an opportunity to do something stupid, then the cahnces that either of you will go to hospital are greatly diminished.

It actually went downhill after the first one. My wife was even screaming officer safety tidbits at the Jersey idiot by the end of the show, and she isn't a cop. Bottom line, pointing a sidearm at a suspect is okay in many circumstances, and even expected. I have issues with just about everything else he did, though.

Excellent post. If you wanted to know what a COP thinks you just read it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:28:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have always wondered how the individual officers were chosen to get the ride along. Often it is a real squared away guy who the department knows will do them proud. Other times it is a dumbass screw up who you should not want with a badge at all, much less representing the department on National TV. I guess stupid politics and golden boy BS is everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was watching cops last night and it had one New Jersey cop.  He saw a ghetto looking kid who he busted for crack previously enter a apartment complex.  He pulled over and entered the building.  Right before he entered he unholstered his glock and went in pointing the gun gangster style sideways with his finger on the trigger pointing it directly at the perps head.  He found the perp rolling a joint with no weapon.  Is it just me or is this messed up.  Pointing a loaded firearm, finger on the trigger with a round in the chamber at someones head seems really extreme.  What do you all think?.

just think about all the cops that got killed, because they weren't prepared to shoot, or thought to themselves, "that's not a gun".

hmmmm lets see going after some ghetto sewer rat, in a apartment complex, where you don't know what to expect.......damn that a tough one, huh?

Sfcret, what you wrote, and especially your sig line, show the world that you're a fucking asshole!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
keep it clean guys.

please!

mike

3.) Sharing of differing opinions is encouraged. However, threads that degenerate into pointless arguments, personal attacks or threats against anyone will be locked and further action may be taken. If you have a problem with someone, then take it offline with them. If it's with a member of the Staff or a Moderator, then contact someone from the Senior Staff. Attacking a person, in a non-joking manner will not be tolerated (If you are “joking”, make sure that point is VERY clear).

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry.  Just read his sig line, ""I can make this march, and make georgia howl"

General William Tecumseh Sherman

and it really pissed me off.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've always known the cheat was an ass.

Mmanwitgun are you a cop?
What makes you think pointing a gun will always escalate?  I believe just the opposite is true.
Making it obvious to the bad guy that he should not resist and to do so would be very stupid tends to de-escalate many potentially bad situations. The guy was commiting a crime (rolling a joint) There could have been more people in the apartment, and as many people like to point out Officer safety should be paramount. Screw the doper rolling the joint.

Nope, I'm not a cop.  I do know though alot of people who would open fire if someone was pointing a gun at them.  This is somewhat like a case of a no knock search warrant.  When someone comes up to you with their gun pointed at you the situation will become escalated.  Getting pulled over and seeing the flashing red and blue is one thing, but if you were just sitting on your front steps and you see a large figure pointing a gun at your face will you A) sit there and ponder what he is wearing and why he might be there or B) Unholster your weapon and either evade the situation or shoot to save your own life.

Neither one, I HAVE A GUN IN MY FACE!!

I'm pretty good, but not THAT good.......

The time to evade the situation, is to be AWARE enough to avoid it.......
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you were just sitting on your front steps and you see a large figure pointing a gun at your face will you A) sit there and ponder what he is wearing and why he might be there or B) Unholster your weapon and either evade the situation or shoot to save your own life.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've always known the cheat was an ass.

Mmanwitgun are you a cop?
What makes you think pointing a gun will always escalate?  I believe just the opposite is true.
Making it obvious to the bad guy that he should not resist and to do so would be very stupid tends to de-escalate many potentially bad situations. The guy was commiting a crime (rolling a joint) There could have been more people in the apartment, and as many people like to point out Officer safety should be paramount. Screw the doper rolling the joint.

Nope, I'm not a cop.  I do know though alot of people who would open fire if someone was pointing a gun at them.  This is somewhat like a case of a no knock search warrant.  When someone comes up to you with their gun pointed at you the situation will become escalated.  Getting pulled over and seeing the flashing red and blue is one thing, but if you were just sitting on your front steps and you see a large figure pointing a gun at your face will you A) sit there and ponder what he is wearing and why he might be there or B) Unholster your weapon and either evade the situation or shoot to save your own life.

The time to evade the situation, is to be AWARE enough to avoid it.......

Liberty nailed it exactly.  The projects are probably the most challenging law enforcement environment in our country and are really something of a world unto themselves.  The goal is immediate unquestioned compliance.  The projects and those who commit crimes in them seldom offer second chances and fools are not suffered lightly.  Better to appologize for a mistake than die in the mistaken belief that politeness is respected as anything other than weakness.  Even my fellow cops who have not worked in the projects are out of their depth and realm of experience when discussing such an environment.  I did it for 7 years, I survived, and now do the cop thing in a much more relaxed and community oriented environment that is less reminicent of Serajevo.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#10]
IBTL -
I understand that there are dangerous situations in which officers need to have their guns drawn.  But holding it "gangsta style" at his head.  I bit extreme.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Since most cops who die out in the streets do so with their guns still holstered, don't you think it's a good idea to have it at least in your hand at your side while OUTSIDE of the unit?

You can bet your ass if I was walking into an unknown building in a bad part of town I would have that sucker in my hand;not gangsta style, but in my hand for sure.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Since most cops who die out in the streets do so with their guns still holstered, don't you think it's a good idea to have it at least in your hand at your side while OUTSIDE of the unit?

You can bet your ass if I was walking into an unknown building in a bad part of town I would have that sucker in my hand;not gangsta style, but in my hand for sure.

I'm fine with him unholstering his weapon before entering a building, but pointing it point blank at the persons head with the FINGER ON THE TRIGGER, accidents can and do happen.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top