Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bwaaaaa haaaaa haaaa. Hmmmm, that’s funny, please tell us what LEO’s are doing EVERY time they busts down the door to the wrong house and shoot the innocent occupant in the chest. Or when an FBI agent shoots an Eagle Scout in the face with an M4 carbine. Better yet tell me what the law enforcement community does when one of their own shoots a man 20-times in the chest for showing his wallet.

Are they “then doing their best to manipulate the system so they don’t face the consequences of their actions”? I think they are. So please don’t act all self-righteous when we try to do the same to you guys.  Don’t talk to us like we’re children, like we don’t see that there are separate rules for different people and most of all don’t expect us to swallow your tired philosophy.  Because when the pudding hits the fan, the LEO’s are the most blatant abusers of “doing their best to manipulate the system so they don’t face the consequences of their actions”. So do me a favor, why don’t you take your naïve opinion and cram it....with walnuts.

Off your meds again I see.

....truth hurts huh?

- I'm still waiting for the typical internet, tin-foil ranting to be done with. When you want to talk reality, let me know.

Hows this for tin-foil stories:

www.rense.com/general20/innocentmanshot.htm

....is that "real" enough for you?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I got pulled over one time and the cop asked why I was speeding and I told him that I had the flu and was having to frequent the crapper.  He said, "be on your way but slow it down a little."

tag to see how your thing works out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So are you saying that you never speed?

- Nope, never said that.  I do speed from time to time when traveling out of town for a class.

Every been pulled over and showed your badge or mentioned you were an LEO?
- I haven't been pulled over since around 1997 just outside Ft Bragg.  Got a ticket for passing a car in a no passing zone.  Took photos of the area the cop saw me, went to court, and the case was dismissed. When I did get a speeding ticket back around 1993, I paid it because I knew I was guilty.

My brother who is an LEO has the same prick attitude that you have.  He says if you don't want to get pulled over then don't do anything wrong, yet he gets out of a ticket every time he gets pulled over simply because he is an LEO.  It's easy to be a prick and condemn people for not following the law when you are above the law.
- sorry I didn't play into your "you just show your badge and you get out of a ticket" fantasy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've found that the second best way to get out of a speeding ticket (the first being not getting caught speeding) is to demonstrate politeness to the officer/deputy/trooper pulling me over.

+1 this is what kept me out of jail when I was in collge.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Shame so many people ttry to come up with ways to try to get around the law when slowing down is the easiest way to defeat the ticket.

Why give the police a break if they mess up on a ticket?  
It is their job.  They know how it is supposed to be done.

If they didn't cut you a break by giving a warning, why give them a break if you find an out.
(assuming they didn't find a dozen prior warnings on your record)

Besides, how many people here truely believe speeding tickets cut crime as much as if
the same officer was put to better use?

Honest to god, my local government is working on building a new police station.  (City of Davenport)
The police are protesting the proposed parking lot, because it would require them
to walk through a "bad" part of the city.  Seems to me that if they know where the
"bad" parts of town are, speeding tickets should be suspended until they are cleaned up.

Cops trolling for speeders is a cat-and-mouse game anyway.
Well, it used to be.  Now cities are installing "red light" cameras, and "speeding" cameras.
Punnishment without due process.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Novel idea.... Drive the speed limit like you are supposed to.. Then you wont have a ticket to try and get out of.

Please define "drive the speed limit". Does that mean never exceeding the speed limit EVER, not even by 1 MPH? Because once you exceed the speed limit, even by a fraction of a mile per hour, you are in violation of the law.

What percent of drivers in the USA each day, exceed the speed limit in their cars while they are driving? I'd bet it's pretty darn close to 100%? So....does everyone deserve a speeding ticket each time they exceed the speed limit?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got pulled over one time and the cop asked why I was speeding and I told him that I had the flu and was having to frequent the crapper.  He said, "be on your way but slow it down a little."

Tried that one.  Officer pointed to the gas station and said "I'll wait".

And he did.  

$75 ticket for passing in a no-passing zone.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So are you saying that you never speed?

- Nope, never said that.  I do speed from time to time when traveling out of town for a class.

Every been pulled over and showed your badge or mentioned you were an LEO?
- I haven't been pulled over since around 1997 just outside Ft Bragg.  Got a ticket for passing a car in a no passing zone.  Took photos of the area the cop saw me, went to court, and the case was dismissed. When I did get a speeding ticket back around 1993, I paid it because I knew I was guilty.

My brother who is an LEO has the same prick attitude that you have.  He says if you don't want to get pulled over then don't do anything wrong, yet he gets out of a ticket every time he gets pulled over simply because he is an LEO.  It's easy to be a prick and condemn people for not following the law when you are above the law.
- sorry I didn't play into your "you just show your badge and you get out of a ticket" fantasy.

Why don't you write yourself a ticket when you catch yourself speeding? If you're out of you're jurisdiction when you speed, you should be turning yourself in to local law enforcement.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tried that one.  Officer pointed to the gas station and said "I'll wait".

And he did.  

$75 ticket for passing in a no-passing zone.

i really had the shits, did you?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How exactly is it a fantasy if it's real?  LEOs call it common courtesy and in addition to the real life example of my brother it's been mentioned by LEOs on this site repeatedly.  

My brother was a quick temped, hot head, I'm doing things my way, asshole while growing up and in the Army.  He used his military ID to get out of many tickets.  Then he became a LEO, he lost the temper but kept the attitude.  He has since used being an LEO to get out of tickets.  For the first several months after he started he was instructed but not certified to operate the radar gun in his truck...that didn't stop him from writting ticket after ticket.  The people he gave tickets to didn't know that but had they gone to court they would have gotten their tickets dismissed.  Awhile later he said the certification on the radar gun had expired but they were too busy to take it in...still didn't stop him from writting tickets.  So how is making the police prove they are accurate and honest "manipulating the system"?

Just because things are done a certain way in your department doesn't mean it's done that way everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How exactly is it a fantasy if it's real?  LEOs call it common courtesy and in addition to the real life example of my brother it's been mentioned by LEOs on this site repeatedly.  

My brother was a quick temped, hot head, I'm doing things my way, asshole while growing up and in the Army.  He used his military ID to get out of many tickets.  Then he became a LEO, he lost the temper but kept the attitude.  He has since used being an LEO to get out of tickets.  For the first several months after he started he was instructed but not certified to operate the radar gun in his truck...that didn't stop him from writting ticket after ticket.  The people he gave tickets to didn't know that but had they gone to court they would have gotten their tickets dismissed.  Awhile later he said the certification on the radar gun had expired but they were too busy to take it in...still didn't stop him from writting tickets.  So how is making the police prove they are accurate and honest "manipulating the system"?

Just because things are done a certain way in your department doesn't mean it's done that way everywhere.

Things may or may not be a certain way in his dept.  But this is the type of LEO that will never admit to doing wrong.  It's all on us.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bwaaaaa haaaaa haaaa. Hmmmm, that’s funny, please tell us what LEO’s are doing EVERY time they busts down the door to the wrong house and shoot the innocent occupant in the chest. Or when an FBI agent shoots an Eagle Scout in the face with an M4 carbine. Better yet tell me what the law enforcement community does when one of their own shoots a man 20-times in the chest for showing his wallet.

Are they “then doing their best to manipulate the system so they don’t face the consequences of their actions”? I think they are. So please don’t act all self-righteous when we try to do the same to you guys.  Don’t talk to us like we’re children, like we don’t see that there are separate rules for different people and most of all don’t expect us to swallow your tired philosophy.  Because when the pudding hits the fan, the LEO’s are the most blatant abusers of “doing their best to manipulate the system so they don’t face the consequences of their actions”. So do me a favor, why don’t you take your naïve opinion and cram it....with walnuts.

....truth hurts huh?

- I'm still waiting for the typical internet, tin-foil ranting to be done with. When you want to talk reality, let me know.

what was the outcome??? prosecution? or what.

found it grand jury failed to indite. still facing a 10 mil dollar lawsuit. grand jury of citizens not leos .
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#13]
tag for when i have time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How exactly is it a fantasy if it's real?

- Because if you make the statement that I persoanlly do it and I don't; then it is in fact a fantasy.  I don't care what others on this site or your realtives do.  I speak for myself and in some cases, those that I work with.

So how is making the police prove they are accurate and honest "manipulating the system"?
- As I've siad, if you are innocent, I don't have an issue with you trying to fight a charge. If you did it, man up and pay for it.

- You don't have to tell me that.  There are a lot of differences between my department and the ones that get talked about on here. That's why I don't try to talk for the police force as a whole....only myself or ones I know well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This is how attornyes do it, so why not you? I say go for it, make it as difficult as possible for them to get your hard-earned money. If everyone fought every ticket they received, eventually the Govt would figure out that its more expensive to hand out tickets.

But the sheep, some of whom have posted here insist on paying the fines and thanking the system for screwing them in the a**.

You actually think the .gov is concerned with spending too much money?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Who has got time to do all that stuff?  It’s a freaking speeding ticket for God’s sake – you f’d up, got caught, be a man and pay the piper.  Don’t you guys have a Ticket Defense Team where you live?  You pay the fine to the lawyer and he goes to court for you – no points, no insurance increase.  The traffic courts don’t have time for some wannabe Lionel Hutz messing up their docket.

And yes, to avoid a ticket – SLOW DOWN.

Before anyone asks – No, I do not speed (other than the 4-6 MPH grace most departments give you).  I leave on time for my appointments so I have no need to drive like a maniac.  Yes, I am the guy driving the speed limit that you are tailgating and pissed off at because you couldn’t get your lazy ass out of bed and are late for work – again!  My last speeding ticket was in 1986 – when I was young and dumb.

Plus Speeding decreases your mileage by 33% on the highway and 5% around the city.  For each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.21 per gallon for gas.

Driving More Efficiently
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Who has got time to do all that stuff?  It’s a freaking speeding ticket for God’s sake – you f’d up, got caught, be a man and pay the piper.  Don’t you guys have a Ticket Defense Team where you live?  You pay the fine to the lawyer and he goes to court for you – no points, no insurance increase.  The traffic courts don’t have time for some wannabe Lionel Hutz messing up their docket.

Before anyone asks – No, I do not speed (other than the 4-6 MPH grace most departments give you).  I leave on time for my appointments so I have no need to drive like a maniac.  Yes, I am the guy driving the speed limit that you are tailgating and pissed off at because you couldn’t get your lazy ass out of bed and are late for work – again!  My last speeding ticket was in 1986 – when I was young and dumb.

Plus Speeding decreases your mileage by 33% on the highway and 5% around the city.  For each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.21 per gallon for gas.

www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/images/speedVsMpg3.gif

Driving More Efficiently

In Arkansas driving the speed limit in the left lane will get you a ticket if people want to go around you.  Doesn't matter if they are doing 90.  The person impeding traffic is the person causing the danger. NOT those driving fast.  People may make fun of Arkansas but we have some good, common sense laws like this one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It might.

Of course they could continue it to give the officer/prosecutor time to produce all the requested items, then there will be absolutely no doubt you were speeding.

If the prosecutor cannot prove the speed measuring device was properly maintained
through scheduled calibration, that is grounds for dismissal.

I'm not sure about everyone else's state, but at least some allow for jury trials
for speeding tickets.

there is no user calibration to be done on modern radar units. they are checked and certified at least annualy. if out of spec must be sent in to be repaired. (repair is done by the manufacter) so out of luck on calib and unqualified repair here

btw they are checked by tuning fork every shift

There should be a log to record the tuning fork results done every shift.  If you don't have a log, you can't prove you've done the work.  The PD I used to ride-a-long with in high school had a log book with each gun.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/images/speedVsMpg3.gif

Driving More Efficiently

In Arkansas driving the speed limit in the left lane will get you a ticket if people want to go around you.  Doesn't matter if they are doing 90.  The person impeding traffic is the person causing the danger. NOT those driving fast.  People may make fun of Arkansas but we have some good, common sense laws like this one.

I never said I was driving in the left lane like that.  That would be suicide in Florida with the crazy drivers here.   They are trying to get that law passed here in Florida which is great.  I drive a lot on the Florida Turnpike (The Ronald Reagan Turnpike, I might add) and I say 50% drive faster and 50% drive slower than me.  My supercharger gets me around slower driver's just fine so I do not need to hang out in the left lane waiting for some ya-hoo to run up my ass.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Of course you realize that the same system of laws that allows the police to issue speeding tickets, also allows someone charged with speeding to request a jury trial and do everything that the law allows them to do to demonstrate their innocence. Why is the law only good when it's in the police favor?

- this has nothing to do with something being in the police's favor.  Its about someone getting popped for doing something wrong then doing their best to manipulate the system so they dont face the consiquences of their actions.

If someone is truely innocent, then try for a jury trial. I'm all for th truely innocent succesfully fighting charges against them.  If you are guilty on the other hand.........

But then why does the state (at least TX) make it so difficult to do so?

I got popped for one that wasn't mine (officer pulled me over instead of the dude who sped *around me* on the shoulder to run a red light).  When I went to the place where you take care of your tickets, I was introduced to a mile-long (OK, so maybe not quite a mile.....) line.

After waiting in line for over an hour and a half, I finally got to the window.  "Yes ma'am, I would like to challenge this ticket, can ---"  "You'll need to go wait in that line over there."    Didn't have another hour and a half, so I took it in the ass and paid the man.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#21]
i quit speeding (mostly) after i got a ticket in january.  i realize that it makes little to no difference in the time you get there- maybe minutes. and it just ups the stress level- something i don't think anybody needs anymore these days.   i just take a deep breath and cruise along in the right lane- with nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Are you saying that every person that gets a speeding ticket is guilty?
 Nope. There will always be remote cases of faulty equipment, tickets given for "Other" reasons, etc. In my personal experience though, people given tickets for speeding earned them.

BTW, It;s my opinion that the police "manipulate the system" and issue speeding tickets as a source of revenue generation and not to promote traffic safety.
And you are enttiled to your opinion not matter how faulty it may be.  Not every juridiction recieves funding off the tickets it issues. Also, I dont know of many officers that would say they wrote someone a ticket because the city wanted more revenue.

Please explain speed traps, then.  I know that, like you've already mentioned, "not every jurisdiction," but what gives here?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Please explain speed traps, then.  I know that, like you've already mentioned, "not every jurisdiction," but what gives here?

Wht exactly do you mean by a speed trap?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
i quit speeding (mostly) after i got a ticket in january.  i realize that it makes little to no difference in the time you get there- maybe minutes. and it just ups the stress level- something i don't think anybody needs anymore these days.   i just take a deep breath and cruise along in the right lane- with nothing to worry about.

But it's so fun I'm not talkin about driving like an idiot through traffic, but if it's 3 am, and you've got a flat stretch of straight interstate in a rural area with zero traffic what's wrong with seein what a car will do?  I mean if I get stopped doing 120 or so, and get ticketed I'm not gonna bitch.  My insurance agent might shoot me, but that's a little different.  I'm talkin about running 80 or 85  WITH the flow of traffic in a 70 mph zone.  You should NOT get a ticket for that.  Around here you don't actually so I don't know what the hell I'm babbling about.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

'round here a speed trap is(we have a lot of them) a sudden drop in speed limit(like 55 to 30 with the 30 sign right after the crest of a hill, and a good spot for a cop to sit and them give people tickets for it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#26]

'round here a speed trap is(we have a lot of them) a sudden drop in speed limit(like 55 to 30 with the 30 sign right after the crest of a hill, and a good spot for a cop to sit and them give people tickets for it.
- Sounds jacked up to have a rapid speed decrease like that without some kind of warning before hand.  Do the officers sitting at  the bottom of the hill give any leeway speedwise?  Around here, you usually get a 10-15mph buffer before getting pulled.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably like the city cops here who camp out where the speed limit decreases from 55 to 45 to 35 in a very short distance while coming up and over a hill or the other spot around a curve with a tree that partially blocks the 35 mph sign until you are right on top of it. They let locals go, I've been pulled over in these locations several times and when they find out I'm a county resident they just wave you on. They just cite out of town people because it is harder for them to return back to challenge it, they just pay the fine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
How about taking your foot off the gas peddle and go the speed limit?

That doesn't always work, especially near the end of the month.  I've been with too many friends, family members, and coworkers that have received bogus tickets to know that's not true.z
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#29]

That doesn't always work, especially near the end of the month
- This the "ticket quota" defense?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

- Sounds jacked up to have a rapid speed decrease like that without some kind of warning before hand.  Do the officers sitting at  the bottom of the hill give any leeway speedwise?  Around here, you usually get a 10-15mph buffer before getting pulled.

Older cops that realize speeding isn't that big a deal do.  Young, cops that think they are gonna save the world don't
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

....truth hurts huh?

found it grand jury failed to indite. still facing a 10 mil dollar lawsuit. grand jury of citizens not leos .

Thanks for looking; I was wondering the same thing myself.

Could you provide the link, as I'm interested in the particulars?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'll give ya'll that. In most places quotas are illegal and just an excuse made up by civilians.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take a cruise up US-301 through Waldo or Lawtey, Florida at 1 MPH over the speed limit and you'll find out what a real speed trap is.  AAA doesn't even route their members through there if you get a TripTik from them and have paid for billboards at either end to warn motorists.

Tiny towns speed trap capitals of Florida
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll give ya'll that. In most places quotas are illegal and just an excuse made up by civilians.

+1.  I'm surprised a cop hasn't chimed in on that one and said, "I don't have a quota, I can write as many tickets as I want."  Which is the standard reply to some asshat making that statement after getting pulled over at the end of the month.

ETA:  OMG... you used the "C" word when talking about us versus them.  Better get your flamesuit on Dusty.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, Refugio, Texas (just to give an example), has a bridge just south of town.  The approach to the bridge (the highway) is 70MPH(day)/65MPH(night).  The bridge itself is very short, and is on a curve.  In less than ¼ of a mile, the speed limit goes from 70, to 60, to 45, to 35.  There are always radar gunners camped out there.  If you're a local (or someone from a few counties over, like me), you slow down for it.  If you're from out of town, and don't happen to "luck out" and see all the signs (yes, I know citizens have an affirmative duty to see and obey traffic signs), they get popped.  Just about every time I pass by there, there's someone pulled over.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

....truth hurts huh?

www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/640137/posts
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Speaking as a retired LEO, and as the son of a retired LEO, let me tell you that not all departments are honest...This is NOT a cop-bashing reply by any means and MOST cops are straight-up, but there are enough bad ones to cast a shadow over the rest. Most pro-LEO comments I have read here are obviously from metropolitan or at least urban/suburban encounters. Rural and small town LEO's can be very dangerous and as the economy worsens the incidents just go higher.

Take for example Roland, OK. This is a town with a population of about 3000, a total size of less than 3 sq/miles, and is located about 2 miles north of I-40 just west of the OK/AR state line. They have to drive almost 2 miles just to get to I-40 so that they can write tickets on an interstate highway that does not even go through their town. They have a town budget that is over 75% dependant upon traffic citations. If you think you're going to get a warning in Roland, you are in for a rude surprise and speaking again as a former LEO let me assure you that most of their "officers" belong on the OTHER side of the bars. They wrote over $2million in traffic citations last year on I-40 where their jurisdiction is questionable at best. (AND YES, they are currently under investigation by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for illegal practices.)

As far as getting out of tickets because one might be a LEO, that can often work against you. My dad is 68 years old and just got his first traffic ticket last year. When he showed the officer his retired commission card and said that he was a retired cop, the cop writing the ticket just sneered "so you're a retired cop, well then you should have known better..."

If you have EVER ridden in a car with my dad, you would know that he is INCAPABLE of speeding
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  I'm surprised a cop hasn't chimed in on that one and said, "I don't have a quota, I can write as many tickets as I want."  Which is the standard reply to some asshat making that statement after getting pulled over at the end of the month.

ETA:  OMG... you used the "C" word when talking about us versus them.  Better get your flamesuit on Dusty.

Fuck em.  Dictionary dot com says I'm right.  

I shouldn't talk to much about this subject though.  My grandfather was on the Little Rock PD for 39 years and we have a pretty rare last name.  It's got me out of a few  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take a cruise up US-301 through Waldo or Lawtey, Florida at 1 MPH over the speed limit and you'll find out what a real speed trap is.  AAA doesn't even route their members through there if you get a TripTik from them and have paid for billboards at either end to warn motorists.

Tiny towns speed trap capitals of Florida

Cop writes a speeding ticket around here for less than 5 over and THEY get a warning.  One over will get you fired.  My brother got a ticket for one over once cause the cop was once fired by our grandfather(he actually said it during the stop so don't think I'm assuming)  he got fired for it.  Probably more for saying that's why he was writing the ticket than writing it for that.  But ALL cops here except rookies will let you get away with 7-10 over in the city, 10-20 on the interstate.  Damn rookies think they are gonna save the world.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No he is just fine.  You must be off your meds.  Those JBTs shot a kid in the face w/ an AR because they thought he looked like a bank robber.  One piglet yells show me your hands the other says get out of the car.  So he goes to take off his seat belt and shot in the face.

-Dan.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've found that the second best way to get out of a speeding ticket (the first being not getting caught speeding) is to demonstrate politeness to the officer/deputy/trooper pulling me over.

I've only been pulled over three times in the last decade or so and being polite /respectful to the officer has gotten me out of all three of those tickets.

FWIW the last time I was stopped the Officer had me clocked @93 mph in a 45mph area and I didn't get the ticket

echo6

i'm very polite as well, but i've still gotten a ticket every time i've been pulled over.

it actually pisses me off when people get out of a ticket when they're pulled over for going over twice the limite, and i get a ticket for 10 over.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On top of that, I've heard a lot of cops say if you tell them an excuse they've never heard before, then they'll let you go.

I have tried both of these tactics...local cops are good to go usually around here...not the pricks that the State police are. Our county is lucky to have several that are known throughout the state as zealous to write as many as they can.

ETA: Even though you may do 4-6 mph over the LIMIT that you think the police allow...you are STILL breaking the law.  Its just a matter to what degree.   Its the upper limit..not a limit with a +/-  built in.  So if you exceed the limit or do less than the limit on the interstate..you are in violation and should be ticketed and lumped in with the rest of the world.  Welcome to the LAW.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably like the city cops here who camp out where the speed limit decreases from 55 to 45 to 35 in a very short distance while coming up and over a hill or the other spot around a curve with a tree that partially blocks the 35 mph sign until you are right on top of it. They let locals go, I've been pulled over in these locations several times and when they find out I'm a county resident they just wave you on. They just cite out of town people because it is harder for them to return back to challenge it, they just pay the fine.

that was the last ticket i got...  limit was 65 and dropped to 50.  there was a cop waiting right there at the sign.  i think it's a pretty fucked up way for them to meet their quota
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've found that the second best way to get out of a speeding ticket (the first being not getting caught speeding) is to demonstrate politeness to the drawdown on the officer/deputy/trooper pulling me over.

There, fixed it, the Arfcom way.

True
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On top of that, I've heard a lot of cops say if you tell them an excuse they've never heard before, then they'll let you go.

I have tried both of these tactics...local cops are good to go usually around here...not the pricks that the State police are. Our county is lucky to have several that are known throughout the state as zealous to write as many as they can.

ETA: Even though you may do 4-6 mph over the LIMIT that you think the police allow...you are STILL breaking the law.  Its just a matter to what degree.   Its the upper limit..not a limit with a +/-  built in.  So if you exceed the limit or do less than the limit on the interstate..you are in violation and should be ticketed and lumped in with the rest of the world.  Welcome to the LAW.

So you think if I'm in a 70 mph zone on the interstate and I'm doing 85 in a group of 15 cars doing 85 and we roll up on some guy in the left lane doing 70 that we should get in trouble?  The FACT is the HE is creating the danger, not us.  Many states allow for this in the law, and the driver doing 70 would be ticketed for impeding the flow of traffic.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#47]
My brother worked at a pizza joint a few years ago. He got off work and had a few extra pies in the back.

He's speeding a bit. Cop smells it and asks, "You got any extra pie?"

My brother says "sure, officer"... and hands him a pizza. Cop lets him off with a warning.

That's a 100% success rate folks. Being nice to the officer has worked about 35% in my case.  

Moral of the story: Never leave home without hot pie.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Drive the speed the majority of the people are driving.

Or if you are being chased to pull over, slam nto the side of the road and start screaming " BEES! OMG BEES! AAAAAGGHHHHHH!!!!"
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Dusty,

While not proposing to speak for him, the way I read his comment was that we are *all* in violation of the letter of the law for even going one mile over the limit.

True, in states that recognize "the flow of traffic" as something that shouldn't be impeded, the "impeder" would ALSO be in violation of the letter of the law, but the impeder's violation doesn't absolve "the rest of us" () of our respective violation(s).

Me, personally, I think that the "Thou shalt not impede the flow of traffic" doctrine should be the supreme law of the land road.  Oh, to be Governor.........
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Drive the speed the majority of the people are driving.

Or if you are being chased to pull over, slam nto the side of the road and start screaming " BEES! OMG BEES! AAAAAGGHHHHHH!!!!"

The officer may not be afraid to take down an armed 300 pound thug at 3 am in the hood, to go into a dark home chasing armed suspects, but the bees, the bees are the devil, all of a sudden the cruiser seems nice inside when there are bees around.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top