BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
And we're trying to save the Everglades, why????

'cause without the Everglades,all of  Florida South of Orlando would be a desert.

I've spent LOTS of time out in the 'glades and I've seen a plethora of snakes. Never have I seen one that big in the wild.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thanks for the article PBIR.
As someone who loves snakes and works with them daily, it is a constant struggle to educate potential buyers of large Pythons what they are getting into. Unfortunately, many of these animals are euthanized (bad) or released into a non-native environment (very bad), when they get to that size. Animal adoption agencies are constantly trying to find good homes for large constrictors. The zoos have all they can handle.

I was at a recent reptile show and watched one vendor sell an African rock Python to a kid that was no more than 15. It was a neonate so only about 2 feet. If you think a Burm is bad, African Rocks can get quite a bit bigger and have wicked temperments. (Burms are actually quite docile).

Here is an African Rock...

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1064265/AfricanFeeding010.jpg

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1064265/AfricanRockPythonEating.jpg

YIKES!!! How big is that snake? How big is that Deer? Is it a Deer?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That 'Rock' is about 18'. The 'deer' is actually a gazelle (I think) which don't get as big as our native white tails. None the less, it's still an animal that could easily take a man.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:26:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20051005/capt.sge.ogx76.051005183436.photo00.photo.default-378x271.jpg?x=378&y=271&sig=FK5c8Tpmw5Uf8lqtK9NSsg--

National Park Service(NPS) shows the carcass of an alligator as it protudes out to the right from the curved body of a dead Burmese python in Everglades National Park, Florida.(AFP/NPS-HO/Michael Barron)

Found the pic on Yahoo News under the Odd News Photos

Mantis_51,

Come on man, fess up. You and theFAILURE got these two guys to pose this pic, didn't ya?

Actually this was my pet snake and the Govenor and Clique Mob shoved a gator down his throat, I am still very sad, but I told them I forgave them and even have offered some ANUS as a sign of good faith
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20051005/capt.sge.ogx76.051005183436.photo00.photo.default-378x271.jpg?x=378&y=271&sig=FK5c8Tpmw5Uf8lqtK9NSsg--

National Park Service(NPS) shows the carcass of an alligator as it protudes out to the right from the curved body of a dead Burmese python in Everglades National Park, Florida.(AFP/NPS-HO/Michael Barron)

Found the pic on Yahoo News under the Odd News Photos

Mantis_51,

Come on man, fess up. You and theFAILURE got these two guys to pose this pic, didn't ya?

Actually this was my pet snake and the Govenor and Clique Mob shoved a gator down his throat, I am still very sad, but I told them I forgave them and even have offered some ANUS as a sign of good faith

Man you are a trip!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Looks like the gator's tail thrashing around inside the snake ripped it open.

Snake wouldn't have eaten the gator till it was dead.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:31:03 AM EDT
[#7]
It is a FL Dept Nat Resources acknowledged fact that there are 2nd generation wild hatched (Burmese Pythons) alive and well in the Glades.

That means a captive released/escaped male and female found each other, copulated and produced viable eggs without the climate control of the vivarium.  

The warm winters and lack of a freeze that far south we have experienced recently have failed to kill them off.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top