Quoted:
Insane.

+1

+2
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Maybe you missed this part

But then there is a very clear exception to that ordinance: "It is an exception to this section that the minor possessed, purchased, consumed or received the cigarette or tobacco product in the presence of the minor's parent, guardian or spouse."

So, had James actually been an underage smoker, the fact that he was at his parents' home with his father present meant no law was broken.

Which means as soon as the father was identified, the investigation was over, but the cop was too stupid to realize that.

Over your head again...the father was inside and not in sight when the officer first attempted to detain him. Therefore he was not "in the presence of".

So had he not fled the first attempt at detention he would have been fine.

It's elementary.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You have no proof of any criminal misconduct. Yet you assume they're guilty of something. It's the attitude that everyone is guilty of something that is going to alienate the police from the general public.

Way to malign people with no proof, BTW.

The general public does not flee from the police.  When they do it is usually for a reason

Don't be so naive
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But then there is a very clear exception to that ordinance: "It is an exception to this section that the minor possessed, purchased, consumed or received the cigarette or tobacco product in the presence of the minor's parent, guardian or spouse."

So, had James actually been an underage smoker, the fact that he was at his parents' home with his father present meant no law was broken.

Which means as soon as the father was identified, the investigation was over, but the cop was too stupid to realize that.

Over your head again...the father was inside and not in sight when the officer first attempted to detain him. Therefore he was not "in the presence of".

It's elementary.

Wow, according to the DA it was good enough. Of course, sitting in RI you know better than the DA.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
More likely he was stopped because he wasn't white.

Out of the ten FTW officers I know, 4 of them are white.  I've attended at least 5 graduation ceremonies.  The number of Hispanic and Black graduates are quite significant.    

When reason and logic fail you can always play the race card.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's elementary.

elementary? If I am out in my front yard and a cop drives by while I am smoking a cigarette. I wouldn't think anything of it, when I finish I would go inside (even if that happended to be when the cop was turning around to come back and harass me). The cop had no reason to attempt to detain him in the first place
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
[Doesn't matter, there is no crime once the father is IDed. The investigation stops. The kid didn't jump when the cop commanded it and the cop got pissed. It's the respect my authority attitude at it's very worst.

Again it's way over your head. When the kid flees the attempt to detain him right away the officer is investigating why.  

Cut your losses and move on  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You have no proof of any criminal misconduct. Yet you assume they're guilty of something. It's the attitude that everyone is guilty of something that is going to alienate the police from the general public.

Way to malign people with no proof, BTW.

The general public does not flee from the police.  When they do it is usually for a reason

Don't be so naive

Where's your proof? Come on. You're saying the family is a family of druggies from the security of the anonomous internet, I bet you wouldn't say that in print under your own name where you could face libel. But on the internet you're free to call people whatever you wish.

BTW, I don't have to talk to the police, only when being detained. Again, no clear evidence he was being detained by the officer when he walked into the house.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[Doesn't matter, there is no crime once the father is IDed. The investigation stops. The kid didn't jump when the cop commanded it and the cop got pissed. It's the respect my authority attitude at it's very worst.

Again it's way over your head. When the kid flees the attempt to detain him right away the officer is investigating why.  

He didn't flee. He walked into his house. It's not even clear he was aware of the officer's presence or the officer's desire to talk to him. You make it out to be like the cop was running after the kid yellling stop police. Please. If a cop car pulled up in front of my house, I'd walk inside too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever. A criminal defense lawyer in court would have you working the cotton fields in minutes with an attitude like that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
elementary? If I am out in my front yard and a cop drives by while I am smoking a cigarette. I wouldn't think anything of it, when I finish I would go inside (even if that happended to be when the cop was turning around to come back and harass me). The cop had no reason to attempt to detain him in the first place

If you had an 8-ball or some rock on you and the cop stopped you might beat feet though right? Flush the contraband then come back out. No rocket science involved.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Out of the ten FTW officers I know, 4 of them are white.  I've attended at least 5 graduation ceremonies.  The number of Hispanic and Black graduates are quite significant.    

When reason and logic fail you can always play the race card.

When reason and logic fail you can always accuse the person who was not charged by the DA of being guilty of something beyond the scope of the investigation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
[Cut your losses and move on  

Here is the "respect my authority" attitude. You disagree with me, so go away. Of course, justice23 knows better than all of us. He's smarter than all of us. He's a sheepdog and we're all sheep he needs to protect. Disgusting attitude.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If the story is true, that cop should have been shot when this happened.

Some of the people on these boards are truly, frighteningly sick.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He didn't flee. He walked into his house. It's not even clear he was aware of the officer's presence or the officer's desire to talk to him. You make it out to be like the cop was running after the kid yellling stop police. Please. If a cop car pulled up in front of my house, I'd walk inside too.

You can flee by taking 6 steps into your house while the officer tells you to stop. "flee" is just a term but I guess it was over your head
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is the "respect my authority" attitude. You disagree with me, so go away. Of course, justice23 knows better than all of us. He's smarter than all of us. He's a sheepdog and we're all sheep he needs to protect. Disgusting attitude.

Not at all. There is a reason people flee from the police 99.9% of the time. And sometimes those naive little sheep who get in over their heads need protecting

Lighten up Francis
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you had an 8-ball or some rock on you and the cop stopped you might beat feet though right? Flush the contraband then come back out. No rocket science involved.

probably not, the kid wasn't doing anything illegal and was on his own property. The cops would have no reason to search him to begin with (I *believe* a warrant is needed to search you on your own property, but I could be wrong)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know. And that, of course, means there isn't any possibility of being stopped just because someone is a minority.

Seriously, do you HONESTLY believe there is a strong probability that this all happened due to race?  You do know that Chief Mendoza is Hispanic, right?  What are the odds of having FTW officers willingly risk their careers & face civil suits just to bug someone because his race is the same as their Chief's?

I have about as much proof of that as justice23 does that the kid was a crackhead. He started throwing around baseless accusations, so why can't I? It's all fair right? Simply demonstrating that baseless accusations can go either way.

I don't think the guy was racist. I do think he pushed the issue too far because he felt the boy showed contempt of cop.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Bite me copper. I an't sayin' nuthin'.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can flee by taking 6 steps into your house while the officer tells you to stop. "flee" is just a term but I guess it was over your head

Again, you're trying to assert your superiority. Wow you must feel really small. That badge makes you feel big doesn't it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all. There is a reason people flee from the police 99.9% of the time. And sometimes those naive little sheep who get in over their heads need protecting

Lighten up Francis

Hello, our Constitution was drafted to protect that .1% of the time. If you don't it leads to tyranny.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm sure there is a whole lot more to the story. There was probably a good reason the officer wanted to talk to the "kid" (he was 21). And used such a B.S. reason for his stop. The house was probably a crack house, the kid probably ditched his rock in the house when the cop told him to stop the first time then after ditching the contraband came back out. All the anti-gov cop haters believe this could happen to them. Loosen the tin-foil.

There is always more to the story.

That's right. Everyone is a criminal in the eyes of the police. It's just a matter of whom they want to hassle on any given day.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#24]
in texas you can legally drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes underage while in the supervision of your parents, even in public.

besides being a bullshit reason to stop someone on private property, once age was verified via the parents there was no reason to continue with it on the part of the cop.  

a father saying a police officer is harrassing them is not grounds for anything, it is not a crime, even though a lot of cops will use an attitude like that to find reason to suggest other crimes were committed, which is exactly what happened here.

as has been stated, a cop simply saying "hey you" is not grounds for detention or reason to believe you are obligated to do anything.   walking away when doing nothing wrong and have not been officially placed into a state of detention is not grounds for anything.  neither assumption or wrongdoing nor punishment.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm sure there is a whole lot more to the story. There was probably a good reason the officer wanted to talk to the "kid" (he was 21). And used such a B.S. reason for his stop. The house was probably a crack house, the kid probably ditched his rock in the house when the cop told him to stop the first time then after ditching the contraband came back out. All the anti-gov cop haters believe this could happen to them. Loosen the tin-foil.

There is always more to the story.

without any additional evidence one could claim the cop was a crack addict and totally dirty.  you have just as much evidence to suggest that as you do saying the kids house was a crackhouse, so why not?   i mean the officer obviously was acting very irrational and the courts seemed to think so as well....
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm done here, I have to get to work.

I'll check back tomorrow though

By the way, I was just argueing a point of law and don't agree with the chickenshit stop.

And I owe Dport an apology for saying things were over his head. I was out of line and trying to push his buttons. I can see both sides of the arguement.

Night all
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
this is the problem. Maybe everyone should be taught in School "cop law" so they really know whats what and what your rights are. Most people here would "think" that you're front lawn or the seat of your car is "private property" but evidently to the average JBT it is'nt and the law that was made by sleazy pols probably backs up his opinion. Then maybe BS like this would'nt happen. Then also note that this is another example of BS "vice" laws like drugs and hookers and what not that is only "wrong" because some people "think" it's wrong and not because it really is a crime. MAybe people would be less likely to hate cops and authority if the state did'nt feel like it had to have it's finger straight up your ass 24 hours a day.

Maybe we should send you to common sense school then. The officer had the right to detain the "kid". End of story.

Bullshit. Complete bullshit. The fact that the cop doesn't how old the guy is doesn't establish a founded or articulable suspicion that he's underage. The cop also couldn't tell whether the guy was an escaped convict.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's amazing how much credit Bob Ray Sanders (lib, anti-gunner, Kerry suporter) is receiving from everyone here.  

I give Sanders about as much credibility as I do for the 400lb ex-Navy SEAL gunshow guru.

This isn't a news report.  

Bingo.

An abundance of caution about believing the "facts" of this story is warranted.

After all, name for me a single family member of someone who was arrested that said that the cops did the RIGHT thing when talking to a reporter, and I will show you a unicorn.

It just doesn't happen often.

I am inclined to believe there is more to the story here. The "report" mentioned here goes from the police report to the recollection of family members, which seems a bit strange if it went down exactly as stated.

If a police car stops in front of my house while I'm smoking a cigarette and the officer gets out and says "Hey, come over here", I'm gonna notice.  The 21 y/o did nothing to avoid escalating the situation.  If an officer says to 'come over', you go over.

The mother, a retired schoolteacher who did not witness the incident, was in tears at the very thought that "seven carloads of police" had come to her home and had taken not one but two of her adult sons to jail.

The soccer moms pass a law against underage smoking and then when the officer who is tasked with enforcing the law checks to see if he is underage, mom is 'in tears'.  Well, don't pass such laws and teach your son to respect other people, including a police officer.

And, no, one laws is not more important than another.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
this is the problem. Maybe everyone should be taught in School "cop law" so they really know whats what and what your rights are. Most people here would "think" that you're front lawn or the seat of your car is "private property" but evidently to the average JBT it is'nt and the law that was made by sleazy pols probably backs up his opinion. Then maybe BS like this would'nt happen. Then also note that this is another example of BS "vice" laws like drugs and hookers and what not that is only "wrong" because some people "think" it's wrong and not because it really is a crime. MAybe people would be less likely to hate cops and authority if the state did'nt feel like it had to have it's finger straight up your ass 24 hours a day.

Maybe we should send you to common sense school then. The officer had the right to detain the "kid". End of story.

Bullshit. Complete bullshit. The fact that the cop doesn't how old the guy is doesn't establish a founded or articulable suspicion that he's underage. The cop also couldn't tell whether the guy was an escaped convict.

What you mean a cop can't just eyeball it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm done here, I have to get to work.

I'll check back tomorrow though

By the way, I was just argueing a point of law and don't agree with the chickenshit stop.

And I owe Dport an apology for saying things were over his head. I was out of line and trying to push his buttons. I can see both sides of the arguement.

Night all

You don't owe me anything. Things get heated sometimes, no big deal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your remedy for abuse of authority?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If a police car stops in front of my house while I'm smoking a cigarette and the officer gets out and says "Hey, come over here", I'm gonna notice.  The 21 y/o did nothing to avoid escalating the situation.  If an officer says to 'come over', you go over.

Assuming, of course, that's how it went down. What if, and I realize this is a big what if, the kid was deaf?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With all due respect, I look very young for my age (it helps that I don't smoke) so I would give the officer the benefit of the doubt.  I don't think he was rousting the guy.  I think the 21 y/o went from 'contact' to a 'detention' by not responding to the officer.  It went from 'detention' to 'arrest' when he and the family interfered with the officer's duties.  Internal affairs should look at it and decide if the officer did something wrong.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Everything would have been fine had kid #2 told the cop to get off the porch and locked the door. I somehow doubt that Officer Cockbite would be granted a warrant based on his statement that a smoker who might have been under 21 walked into his home after being hailed by the officer. I hope they do something with that POS, like fire him at a shift assembly.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Assuming, of course, that's how it went down. What if, and I realize this is a big what if, the kid was deaf?

Once the officer was told by the father that the 21 y/o was deaf, it would have completely de-escalated the situation except for the most hardcore rogue officer (<2%).  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

With all due respect, I look very young for my age (it helps that I don't smoke) so I would give the officer the benefit of the doubt.  I don't think he was rousting the guy.  I think the 21 y/o went from 'contact' to a 'detention' by not responding to the officer.  It went from 'detention' to 'arrest' when he and the family interfered with the officer's duties.  Internal affairs should look at it and decide if the officer did something wrong.

It's a legal issue - and a logical one. "I can't tell for sure that X is legal" does not give rise to an actionable belief or suspicion that X is illegal. The very notion that it can is inimical to any notion of liberty.

The right response - if the kid heard the cop - would have been "I have nothing to say to you. Am I under arrest?"
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Everything would have been fine had kid #2 told the cop to get off the porch and locked the door. I somehow doubt that Officer Cockbite would be granted a warrant based on his statement that a person who might have been under 21 walked into his home after being hailed by the officer. I hope they do something with that POS, like fire him at a shift assembly.

Havent you been reading?

This officer was totally within his rights as he was investigating a crime.

Im glad I look more than old enough, dont smoke and have no dog. This bullshit could have been much worse with different actors. In a truly free country it would have been.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Everything would have been fine had kid #2 told the cop to get off the porch and locked the door. I somehow doubt that Officer Cockbite would be granted a warrant based on his statement that a person who might have been under 21 walked into his home after being hailed by the officer. I hope they do something with that POS, like fire him at a shift assembly.

As much as I loath the ACLU, they do give great info on how to deal appropriately during a police encounter.  You are absolutely correct (not that I need to tell a lawyer that) that the situation could have been handled as you state.  Once the 21 y/o was inside the house that's very likely what the ACLU would have stated.  

But you have to agree that he could have de-escalated the situation far more easily outside by answering questions only pertaining to the cigarette use.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I don't know about you, but none of my "remedies" include the wanton murder of a police officer. That usually tends to not solve things.

What is wrong with some of you people?!?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that's your remendy also you're both sick.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once the officer was told by the father that the 21 y/o was deaf, it would have completely de-escalated the situation except for the most hardcore rogue officer (<2%).  

If the father said he was 21 and offered to get the BC, as the story described, why not end it there? In both cases, you're taking the father's word.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Exactly.  If you know for a fact you're not required to obey, then don't and accept the consequences.  The consequences are you're probably going to be arrested.  It doesn't matter if it's wrong or right, that's how it is.  Then you go to court and prove you didn't have to comply.  Then sue for a gazillion dollars like everyone seems to do now.  Costing a city or state 10 millions dollars or whatever is the way to change this kind of behavior, not spouting off about how "all cops are assholes".  

The soccer moms pass a law against underage smoking and then when the officer who is tasked with enforcing the law checks to see if he is underage, mom is 'in tears'.  Well, don't pass such laws and teach your son to respect other people, including a police officer.

And, no, one laws is not more important than another.

Those are the people that demand things like mandatory sentencing, 3 strike laws, and laws that keep people from owning firearms because they pissed off their girlfriend.  It can't be both ways.  The attitude is usually that those laws are for the criminals, not for nice people like me.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Since when the fuck is it illegal to not want to speak to a police officer on your own property?  To walk away from a police officer on your own property when there is absolutely NO fucking legitimate cause to believe a crime has been commited.   As previously stated, even if this was a 15 year old smoking a ciggarette, the 15 year old(theoretical) was on his own property and thus legally allowed to be using tobbaco under the supervision of his gaurdians.  Anyone defending this cop(if the story is as it sounds) is going waaay out on a limb.  It opens the doors for cops to just go out and try to bust people for whatever the fuck they want, wherever they want.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a legal issue - and a logical one. "I can't tell for sure that X is legal" does not give rise to an actionable belief or suspicion that X is illegal. The very notion that it can is inimical to any notion of liberty.

The right response - if the kid heard the cop - would have been "I have nothing to say to you. Am I under arrest?"

In your informed opinion, and this is meant as a serious question, what can I expect as a response from law enforcement if I decide to start saying this when/if cops decide they need to pester me?

(And i'll gladly accept the responses of the bruised ego cops that will make wild assertions of authority, too, even though I mean this question for FLAL1A.)

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I don't know about you, but none of my "remedies" include the wanton murder of a police officer. That usually tends to not solve things.

What is wrong with some of you people?!?

What do you suppose would happen to you if you saw an officer commit a crime and laid hands on him to arrest him? What is "wrong" with some of us is that we see abuses of the Constitution becoming more and more common, and more and more casually accepted. A police officer who engages in a wanton abuse of his authoruty, as it seems happened here, is evil. He has no moral entitlement to be treated as an officer of the law, but should be treated as a traitor, for abusing the Constitution he swore to uphold. I don't think this particular bit of authoritarian jackassery warrants death, but he should be fired, stripped of immunity, prosecuted for trespass, battery, and false imprisonment, and locked in jail for a few years. The bastard  engaged in outrageous conduct to vindicaye his personal authority. He should suffer for it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I think the 21 y/o went from 'contact' to a 'detention' by not responding to the officer.  It went from 'detention' to 'arrest' when he and the family interfered with the officer's duties.  Internal affairs should look at it and decide if the officer did something wrong.

Woah there, how can you go from contact to detention just by ignoring the officer? If the contact is voluntary, which is what I assume by your distinction between contact and detention, refusing that contact doesn't not mean you can escalate to detention just because someone doesn't talk to you. If that's the case there is no voluntary contact and every time a police officer talks to you then you're being detained. Wouldn't Miranda apply since the state can't force me to answer questions, ie the 5th?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it a remedy that you're in danger of taking?

If the shoe fits, wear it.

If it doesn't apply to you, then ignore it. You know who your dumbshit coworkers are. You shouldn't lament them getting the rewards of their idiocy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your take on burning down government offices, beating tax collectors, and engaging in open warfare with authorities? John Hancock and Sam Adams want to know.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I was out of line and trying to push his buttons. I can see both sides of the arguement.

Night all

that's a typical cop tactic...
Page / 6
Top Top