Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
just an update:

I was in the gridlock thing for about 4 hours near the "Easton Hill", then I worked my way out at a crawling 3 mph up to "Price Creek" but once I got to that last crest before the summit I couldnt get up the hill because it was too steep, tires spining so I parked it in the middle of the raod and waited for more hours for a tow to pull me up to the top. I must have gotten out of there in the nic of time, because there was an avalanche behind me...after that I didnt see any cars but a few...there is most likely more people still stuck in the Easton hill & Price creek area. When I was waiting for the truck is when I posted the post here at arfcom, shortly after that the truck came and dragged me up to the top.

Once again, thank you for all the help. Im glad ya'll are here!

edit: A Stater told me that no-one was hurt in the avalanche, they are just still stuck up there inbetween.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear everything is OK...

Im going to bed now.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Glad you're ok bud    Woulda sucked spending the night out there !

Go buy some REAL fuggin snow tires now !

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to hear!  Get some rest, that's a long time!

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#5]
So now the most important thing to know is.....
Was there a carload of college girls stuck there with you?
The kind where you can tell them that we all need to take our clothes off and huddle together for warmth.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:08:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't feel bad... I got my Xterra stuck yesterday.  

Damned factory M&S tires are fine for the lighter shit but when you start getting a foot on the ground with packed ice under it, all bets are off.  

Winch will be installed come next season, digging out with a shovel sucks.  

HA!. ive had to dig out mud with a frying pan!   at least you HAD a shovel :)

HA! I've had to dig mud with a peice of plywood. Least you had a frying pan.

And boy howdy was I pissed as all can be that night too.

HA!  I've had to dig out with a SPOON.  At least you had a piece of plywood.

At least you had a spoon, last time i was thru their I had to kill a deer and use his rear leg to dig out
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:45:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad to hear that nobody ate you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:46:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shoulda posted this in the Survival Forum, it woulda went 20 pages with all the lecturing.

We'll probably see him in the Survival foru next week, I'm sure.

aint it how it works around here....

" OH MY GAWD mothernature bitchslapped me.. how can i prepare for next time,,,,"

least you got out man,,but let it be a vaulable lesson on being prepared for events. a simple  GHB ( Get Home Bag for you non survival types) woulda made your lil stay alot easier im sure....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damned factory M&S tires are fine for the lighter shit but when you start getting a foot on the ground with packed ice under it, all bets are off.  

HA!  I've had to dig out with a SPOON.  At least you had a piece of plywood.

At least you had a spoon, last time i was thru their I had to kill a deer and use his rear leg to dig out

At least you had a deer leg, them damn squirrel legs is small, that's what I had.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:it started snowing like hell. All the other cars basically stopped and formed a gridlock.
Typical sheeple behavior.

Something similar happened to me about three years ago on my back home to Kansas from Florida.

It started snowing around Tyler, Texas on whatever Interstate goes through there west to DFW (I-20, I think).  By the time we get to Dallas, slush is accumulating.  North of Dallas I-35 turns into a quagmire, with cars everywhere either crawling or going nowhere.  Remember, this is Texas.  They can't drive for shit in snow.  Period.

Luckily, the leftmost lane was virtually empty, as it was the most snow-packed.  Having a 4X4 truck with good tires and good clearance, I'm on it and I don't get off of it until I get to Oklahoma City about six hours later (a trip that normally takes 3 hrs).

I averaged about 35 mph the whole way.  The right lanes were barely moving (< 10 mph) the WHOLE way from DFW to OKC.

I will do whatever it takes to avoid being boxed in gridlock.  I will drive on either shoulder, in the median, HOV lane, flip a u turn on the mdian, whether it is legal or not, whatever it takes.  I've even driven against the flow (but on the grass, off the pavement) on an on-ramp to avoid going into what was already a quagmire on I-75 by Sidney.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:it started snowing like hell. All the other cars basically stopped and formed a gridlock.
Typical sheeple behavior.

Something similar happened to me about three years ago on my back home to Kansas from Florida.

It started snowing around Tyler, Texas on whatever Interstate goes through there west to DFW (I-20, I think).  By the time we get to Dallas, slush is accumulating.  North of Dallas I-35 turns into a quagmire, with cars everywhere either crawling or going nowhere.  Remember, this is Texas.  They can't drive for shit in snow.  Period.

Luckily, the leftmost lane was virtually empty, as it was the most snow-packed.  Having a 4X4 truck with good tires and good clearance, I'm on it and I don't get off of it until I get to Oklahoma City about six hours later (a trip that normally takes 3 hrs).

I averaged about 35 mph the whole way.  The right lanes were barely moving (< 10 mph) the WHOLE way from DFW to OKC.

I will do whatever it takes to avoid being boxed in gridlock.  I will drive on either shoulder, in the median, HOV lane, flip a u turn on the mdian, whether it is legal or not, whatever it takes.  I've even driven against the flow (but on the grass, off the pavement) on an on-ramp to avoid going into what was already a quagmire on I-75 by Sidney.

That is harsh.

I am glad everythign worked out for you Gaspain.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Someone needs a properly stock BoB for the car....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Im almost to the summit of snoqualmi pass. But, my car wont make it. its about 2 feet, with compact snow. I was driving across the pass and without warning it started snowing like hell. All the other cars basically stopped and formed a gridlock. With no place to turn around I was forced to stay. Of course, the snow got worse. It took 4 hours for the plows to come through...but they didnt even make a dent in it. My car(BMW m3) has mud and snow tires, but the m/s rating is a joke. They are low profile 18" rims, but they dont make chains that fit, so here I am waiting for a tow truck. Ive been here since 2:30 today, its 9:15 now.  I just saw a 4x4 drive by, havent seen a car go by in about an hour. The last car stopped and told me there was an avalanche  a few miles behind me. Ive got half a tank of gas left, so far after 7 hours of idling its only used about 1/8th of a tank. Not, bad...I can hold out till morning on that. I have no water though, but do have 2 dozen frozen tamales I bought. Also got my AR....but no ammo. Do have my .45 with 2 full mags in case some bad guys come around.

gotta go

This should be in the Survival forum on what NOT to do.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HA! Least youb had a piece of plywood!   I've had to dig mud with a dead otter I found and he didn't smell too good either!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad your OK.

Now buy something with all/4wheel drive ummmmmmmk.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top