Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2023 10:32:24 AM EDT

Whoa. I mean I like things that are overbuilt/overkill but this is a new benchmark (pun).
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Amazing skill and fore thought. He really has vision. That takes a lot of planning.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty amazing but I have to agree with him that the first scratch is going to hurt!
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MongooseKY:
That's pretty amazing but I have to agree with him that the first scratch is going to hurt!
View Quote

Oh man that's the truth.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:07:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#4]
Duped myself somehow
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I built a more traditional style roubo workbench maybe ten-15 years ago
I used a lot of ash for the top. It’s a superior wood as it has less flex over a span than other hardwoods, including hard maple.  
And I don’t accept the nonsense I’ve seen here that workbenches should have end grain like a butchers block.    You want long quarter sawn or edit sawn boards for the top for the best interseasonal stability.   The base is red oak that I cut down and milled after many years of air drying.  The ash I got when the lumber mills were getting lots of it before the emerald ash borer killed the trees off.   The sliding deadman is hard curly maple

This guy’s  bench is very similar to a plan that has long existed by a couple brothers from Iowa that also made most of the cast iron vise hardware he ended up using.  So he should give credit to them -  Benchcrafted.   I have their tail vise installed in my roubo and for the moxxon vise screws.   But they had the plans out for a split top roubo style for a long time now.    I have some of their other hardware for another bench I want to make that will be more chairmaking centric.  
And you don’t really want you bench to be too wide.   If you need a wide assembly table that’s not what a bench is and benches tend to be a little high to be a good all around assembly table.  

I used an Erie Toolworks for the Leg vise hardware.

A well made workbench ought to outlive you a couple times over as long as it’s not exposed to the elements.
And stout so it doesn’t wrack when you’re planing on it
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#6]
One day...

The French Oak Roubo Project 2013
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:27:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: airgunner] [#7]
Originally Posted By 0100010:
View Quote

I'll be checking out that one in person this weekend
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MongooseKY:
View Quote
That's why you grab the orbital sander or something and swipe it across t he bench and just get it over with.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Take all those ideas and make it out of steel for the ultimate metal fabrication table?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Freiheit338:
Take all those ideas and make it out of steel for the ultimate metal fabrication table?
View Quote

No, the ideal metal fab bench doesn't have much in common with a woodworking bench and as far as that goes, that's only a good bench for a primarily hand tool woodworkers. For a primarily power tool users, There are better designs
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:04:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#11]
Originally Posted By airgunner:

I'll be checking out that one in person this weekend
View Quote

Did you take a class with Schwarz or Megan?  And what was it?  The stick chair?

*ohhh, Lie Nielsen hand tools visit.    Can be a very expensive yet fulfilling day.
They don't seem to be doing much if any new releases/tools though, in the last couple years
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top