Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2022 1:16:02 PM EDT
Let me start off by saying I am person of strong faith, raised by the old fashion leather belt, morals, values, & respect. My son enlisted in the Army at age 17. I'll never forget him walking across the parking lot with his back pack as I dropped him off at the recruitment station where they were to be bussed to Miami for swearing in ceremony the next day. He scored a 94 on ASVAB and wanted to do a full 20 yrs in the military. He caught an pneumonia in basic, and during the final phase exercise sprained his ankle in the woods so bad he finished an 18 mile ruck wearing an ankle brace. I was proud of my little warrior and he hadn't even seen any action yet. He went on to Airborne School and was assigned to 1/325th PIR at Bragg. Then the drinking began. He found his buddy dead in his barrack from choking on his own vomit; that experience sobered up my son permanently. He witnessed 13 of his brother and sister service members killed in Kabul and traveled tens of thousands of miles from home. God always brought him back safe even when his main parachute failed in a training exercise and he landed in a tree unconscious. Unfortunately that would be the end of his military career. Due to injuries sustained from that incident, he retired on 100% disability. He tells me, dad I feel like I'm 60. He's only 24. These are the sacrifices these men and woman make for our freedom, every single day. If you are one of them....thank you; your service & your sacrifice will never be in vein.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#1]
This Country owes men like your son a debt that they can never repay. Some of us also served and we remember why. Thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
How is his transition out going? Be there to support him. Mine was dark. Still drink more than I would like.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad your son doesn"t need to start out fiightng the VA for his rating. I am waiting on my Decision Letter as we speak, I hope the VA ratings nightmare does not come true for me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Not nearly as banged up as he is. But I found a chiropractor and a PT work with me to get my mobility back. Helped with the aches and back locking up.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank the young man for his service.  So sorry to hear of this.  It amazes me that young people in this day and age are still willing to write that blank check to uncle sam.  God bless him.

You raised him right.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Having a good support system with family and friends will definitely help the transition. I didn't have any support when I medically retired in 1996. At that time most people my age never even served in the military let alone in combat. I found more support by talking with Vietnam vets than talking to any VA doctor.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Tell your son. Thank you for his service. I only lost one friend while serving. The sacrifice they make can be life changing.

SPC
USA
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Having a good support system with family and friends will definitely help the transition. I didn't have any support when I medically retired in 1996. At that time most people my age never even served in the military let alone in combat. I found more support by talking with Vietnam vets than talking to any VA doctor.
View Quote

Like my dad used to say, lots of therapy takes place while talking to your peers in the canteen of your Legion, VFW, DAV posts.  

Cheers to your son, OP.  Here's hoping that he is thriving on the outside.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gilly:

Like my dad used to say, lots of therapy takes place while talking to your peers in the canteen of your Legion, VFW, DAV posts.  
View Quote
I once read somewhere that after World War II ended, troops aboard ships taking them home would go rehash stories of what They saw and did.  Many days of travel would lead to many hours of therapy for Troopers coming home.  Getting things off their chests and so on.

When I was myself, usually, after a week of training in The Field, many, many people would go over the smallest detail of what they saw, what they did and what others did.  Some of the talk were pats on the back, sometimes not.  Good things, bad things, everyday things that went right, wrong or nothing worth mentioning.

Peers talking to peers.  Bill Mauldin spoke something of this closeness in The Brotherhood What Was Shot At versus those who were so far in the rear they always wore ties on duty.  Yes, get him to as many Legion, VFW, DAV people as you can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top