Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/3/2024 12:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71]
In the words of Col. Tom Kelly, “I don’t turkey hunt because I want to. I turkey hunt because I have to.”

“Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.”—Archibald Rutledge

It’s that time again in some places. Let’s start a thread to show off our birds and share stories of getting skunked by an animal with a brain the size of a pecan. In my experience, there’s no better time of year and no more fun thing to do in the woods.

This year, I wanted to try to kill a bird, while using a homemade decoy. To give myself something to do before the season started, I broke out my notes from 3rd grade and made a paper mache laydown hen. I had a spot where, two years ago, I killed a gobbler that was getting his butt kicked by two jakes. He probably died thinking they killed him.

Turnabout is fair play, so I threw the “funky chicken” in the mix too,  hoping they might show up and start another fight. It worked out pretty good and at about 10:30 AM a gobbler showed up and started checking things out. He put on quite a show, until I couldn’t stand it. I shot him with my first shotgun, an old H&R single barrel 20 gauge. He was very vocal and it was an exciting hunt. Anyway, I hope my art teacher would be proud.

Good luck to everyone who shares the sickness. If you like, post your pictures or stories here.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Youth season this weekend.

Me and son going out.  

Looking forward to it.  

Good luck all
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You guys make turkey hunting way more difficult than you need to.  

Around here turkeys are as aggressive as geese.  They come after you when you’re just trying to go for a walk or get the mail.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome decoy OP!

I'm using a electronic call for the first time this year, after decades of turkey hunting and never having done so.  

The season is very short here in Michigan, I get a 7 day range, but with the reality of working for a living I really only get 2 days.  I very much look forward to it though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimEb:
You guys make turkey hunting way more difficult than you need to.  

Around here turkeys are as aggressive as geese.  They come after you when you’re just trying to go for a walk or get the mail.
View Quote

Fine. But, if you hear an owl hooting in your flowerbed at daybreak one morning, don’t panic. Just put on a pot of coffee and hand it out the window.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
Awesome decoy OP!

I'm using a electronic call for the first time this year, after decades of turkey hunting and never having done so.  

The season is very short here in Michigan, I get a 7 day range, but with the reality of working for a living I really only get 2 days.  I very much look forward to it though.
View Quote

Thanks. Wow, that’s a short season. Electronic calls are off limits here for game animals. We can only use them on predators and “non-game” animals.

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:34:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buckfever34] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By buckfever34:
In.  

As we wait on season here is my favorite little hunting buddy’s bird from last year.  He’s excited about season coming up.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55554/9B1D22FD-31E5-4DCC-8EB7-0C433E8CACF1-3177140.jpg
View Quote

Man, that’s even better than killing one yourself.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Yes, it absolutely is!

My taxidermist just sent me this on Monday.  I’m gonna have an excited 8 year old when we go pick it up

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55554/5B51E5AE-546C-4D42-8241-B9A42CABB386-3177147.jpg
View Quote

That looks good!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck everyone. Hope you have a successful season.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Never could get into turkey hunting. Bugs, heat, sweat, etc, especially when I can get a butterball at Walmart for cost of license and tags. Beard length ? Not exactly as awe inspiring as a huge rack on a Buck.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, it absolutely is!
My taxidermist just sent me this on Monday.  I'm gonna have an excited 8 year old when we go pick it up

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55554/5B51E5AE-546C-4D42-8241-B9A42CABB386-3177147.jpg
View Quote
Too cool, in fact that's just awesome.  Congratulations.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:52:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#14]
Helluva trip to Nebraska for archery

My son shot one for the second year in a row

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Not until May 4th here in Pa.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:03:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr] [#16]
Youth season starts the 13th here in Ohio.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#18]
.22 rimfire anytime
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Heckuva job on the turkey for your son, Dad!

You are gonna have to elaborate on the rollover...
View Quote

Wasn’t me
Just shit out see out in the middle of nowhere after a crazy ice storm
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:43:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71] [#20]

That’s hardcore. At least you don’t have to worry about snakes and ticks.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Area I deer hunt sucks for Turks, too many nest raiders. Was planning on thinning them out through trapping over the winter but fractured my tibia. Still can't go back to work yet so I may do some sits for the hell of it. Hope y'all get some nice spur hangers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
Never could get into turkey hunting. Bugs, heat, sweat, etc, especially when I can get a butterball at Walmart for cost of license and tags. Beard length ? Not exactly as awe inspiring as a huge rack on a Buck.
View Quote

Sir, that’s like saying you don’t appreciate the Mona Lisa, because you once saw some side boob in a JC Penny catalog.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By rock71:

That’s hardcore. At least you don’t have to worry about snakes and ticks.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55995/IMG_9898_jpeg-3177184.JPG
View Quote

If you told me years ago I'd own a pair of snake boots and .38spl shot shells I'd call you nuts. But here we are,lol. Sucks that I'm going to miss the first couple of weeks since I'm going back up to N.Y. for a bit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Not my best bird , but I’ve had a long dry spell, including a miss last year because I was lazy and didn’t check the pattern on my Turkey gun.

So I’ll take it, two year old public land bird.
Late season here, hens are nesting and the toms are already gathered back into bachelor groups.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:49:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bikedamon] [#25]
Originally Posted By PR361:
Not my best bird , but I’ve had a long dry spell, including a miss last year because I was lazy and didn’t check the pattern on my Turkey gun.

So I’ll take it, two year old public land bird.
Late season here, hens are nesting and the toms are already gathered back into bachelor groups.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195613/IMG_3701_jpeg-3177280.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195613/IMG_3704_jpeg-3177282.JPG
View Quote

Not bad at all.  I'll take a jake if that's all I'm seeing.

Here's one I took last year.  

The boy doesn't want to shoot one but he loves going out and doing all the things with me.  And I once I get one he's all over it.  "Can I touch his eyeball??  Look at his ear!  Can I hold his heart??"  The we put the carcass out for coyotes and check the trail cams.  Good quality time, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I never really hunted turkey before but would typically see them out of season when hunting deer.  During COVID, I finally decided to get out and give turkey hunting a try.  So far I've been unsuccessful and none of my friends hunt turkey.  It would be nice to tag along on an experienced hunter's trip, just to experience it and learn a few things.  For now, it will probably be me just sitting out in the woods with a box call making mistakes.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:02:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71] [#27]
Sometimes, you find other prizes just for being in the woods. I’m going to eat these. I hope they’re Morels. If I post some crazy stuff later about singing dolphins and rainbows, you’ll know I was wrong.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Oh, and an underground stream, that’s pretty cool too.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#28]
In for some spring thunder. Our season has not started yet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:10:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Earl_Basset] [#29]
The funky chicken gets it done, I swear by it.

I'll only get one pain free hunt, I'm getting shoulder surgery the 16th on the right and may 7th on the left. I hope I get it done.

Last years bird, which should be getting back from the taxidermist this weekend.

WV
Attachment Attached File

PA

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Tagged. Hoping to put my daughter on her second bird Saturday.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#31]
IN! I leave in one week SW Iowa!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By rock71:
Sometimes, you find other prizes just for being in the woods. I’m going to eat these. I hope they’re Morels. If I post some crazy stuff later about singing dolphins and rainbows, you’ll know I was wrong.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55995/IMG_9914_jpeg-3178432.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55995/IMG_9921_jpeg-3178433.JPG

Oh, and an underground stream, that’s pretty cool too.
View Quote

Your story checks out, the government dislikes it so it must be awesome.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:
The funky chicken gets it done, I swear by it.

I'll only get one pain free hunt, I'm getting shoulder surgery the 16th on the right and may 7th on the left. I hope I get it done.

Last years bird, which should be getting back from the taxidermist this weekend.

WV
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133760/Screenshot_20240326_224423_Gallery_jpg-3178461.JPG

PA

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133760/Screenshot_20240326_224503_Gallery_jpg-3178469.JPG
View Quote

Very nice!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I went last weekend when I was down in Alabama. Got a gobbler responding to my admittedly poor calls, then hung up about 100 yards out and shut up.

Still a blast! I haven’t turkey hunted much and have yet to kill a bird. Maybe this is my year!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I got my stuff ready.  Season starts in a couple weeks
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Our season opens on the 13th, these were the last 2 years. I have a great hunting partner!Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Great pictures.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey OP.  
How do you like the funky chicken decoy.

I have heard mixed reviews. Not sure what to believe.

I like it because it’s small and it makes it easier to carry in with two hen decoys.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:36:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DDDDCheapAF] [#39]
The spring turkey woods are my favorite. Its tough to explain but there just isn’t any other place id rather be . Creeping toward the creek bottom just before daybreak and I could hear em makin all kinds of racket . I pulled my old Southland Talladega longbox out of my vest and ever so softly played a couple of the prettiest purrs you ever heard . I waited for a little bit . Then I ever so softly played out a raspy little yelp or two . I waited for a little bit . That Warbird showed up with around a dozen hens in tow , a beard dragging the ground and worn down nubs where hooks had once been . I was sitting at the base of a big hardwood and was kind of under a little holly tree growing next to it . I had my favorite multicam fatigues on and a little desert tan piece of netting id picked up at a army surplus store somewhere. I had dragged that net through the dead leaves and pine needles and such and kinda laid it across my boonie hat and my 12 ga. Warbird strutted right up to the end of my barrel . Maybe 5 minutes had passed since my last call . I had a chance to admire this brawler real good as he walked up on me and when I pulled the trigger he never knew what hit him . His harem scattered and I carried him out . Mr Warbird was down to fight or fuck and was as fearless as anything I’ve ever seen . A truly magnificent creature. Good luck, fellas.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:23:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71] [#40]
That’s the first time I’ve used the funky chicken So far, he’s batting 1000. I also like that it’s easy to pack. That and a foam hen is pretty easy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:26:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:
The spring turkey woods are my favorite. Its tough to explain but there just isn’t any other place id rather be . Creeping toward the creek bottom just before daybreak and I could hear em makin all kinds of racket . I pulled my old Southland Talladega longbox out of my vest and ever so softly played a couple of the prettiest purrs you ever heard . I waited for a little bit . Then I ever so softly played out a raspy little yelp or two . I waited for a little bit . That Warbird showed up with around a dozen hens in tow , a beard dragging the ground and worn down nubs where hooks had once been . I was sitting at the base of a big hardwood and was kind of under a little holly tree growing next to it . I had my favorite multicam fatigues on and a little desert tan piece of netting id picked up at a army surplus store somewhere. I had dragged that net through the dead leaves and pine needles and such and kinda laid it across my boonie hat and my 12 ga. Warbird strutted right up to the end of my barrel . Maybe 5 minutes had passed since my last call . I had a chance to admire this brawler real good as he walked up on me and when I pulled the trigger he never knew what hit him . His harem scattered and I carried him out . Mr Warbird was down to fight or fuck and was as fearless as anything I’ve ever seen . A truly magnificent creature. Good luck, fellas.
View Quote

That’s what I’m talking about. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#42]
That’s pretty cool OP. I might have to try that. My niece has gone out a couple times with me and she has been pestering me about when we can go.  That would be a fun thing to do with her.  

Turkey season is my favorite season I’m pretty sure, right in front of duck.
Good luck to everyone.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#43]
@bikedamon  just an fyi, electronic call are illegal in Michigan. And since you mentioned the shorter season, I’m assuming you will be on public land. (Private land at least in southern part you can get a longer season)   Just thought you should know.
Good luck!  I’ve had many skunked years because of the short seasons!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JohnnyBuckshot:
@bikedamon  just an fyi, electronic call are illegal in Michigan. And since you mentioned the shorter season, I’m assuming you will be on public land. (Private land at least in southern part you can get a longer season)   Just thought you should know.
Good luck!  I’ve had many skunked years because of the short seasons!  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/202432/IMG_6405_jpeg-3178639.JPG
View Quote

Aw shit, thanks for the heads-up man.  I skimmed the regs and missed that, I'm glad you called it out.  I was wondering why I'd never tried an electronic call, I'm sure that's why.  I lost my dad several yeas back and he was always up to speed on hunting regulation minutiae, he would have caught that for me.

I got an early season hunt, hence why it is so short.  The later season gives me a month, but I always have better luck when it's colder and so I pick the earliest I can get.  A ridiculously short window though.  Maybe I'll get the longer hunt next year just to be able to do an extra weekend or two.

Thanks again JohnnyBuckshot, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By tuppergun:
Our season opens on the 13th, these were the last 2 years. I have a great hunting partner!https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4000/IMG_20220409_103213946_HDR_jpg-3178518.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4000/IMG_20210410_171244955_HDR_jpg-3178520.JPG
View Quote

I badly want to go to NE or SD and kill a Merriam's with my daughter - ideally on public land, though I'm open to paying for private. In fall of 2022 we stayed in a place in SD that bordered public and we saw birds everywhere and I genuinely think I could go back and kill one, but I'm not mentally ready.

I started turkey hunting very late in life - killed a couple as a teen then ignored it for 25 years - and I'm behind the ball on the learning curve. Took two weeks of cat and mouse to get a really big bird in 2020 after I saw him hanging around the house almost daily- and I shot another opening day of 2021 as a group of three walked past me. In 2022 I called one in (or, called his hen in and he followed) for my daughter. Got on a bird last year but he outsmarted us.

The learning curve is steep. I've listened to dozens of podcasts and watched a bunch of movies (including the old TK and Mike clips with my daughter!) and learned everything I can about turkeys and our little farm is very nearly ideal turkey habitat and I know where multiple birds live on the nearby public lands. I can call decently well on mouth calls, a slate, and a box call. I can also shut up and sit still, which seems the more important skill.

But there's still a long way between me and certain success. I want to get a bit further down that road before we put the time and money into a Merriam's trip.

@tuppergun do you go public or private?

How do you plan your trips so as to avoid being snowed in?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:05:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Earl_Basset] [#46]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
Hey OP.  

I like it because it’s small and it makes it easier to carry in with two hen decoys.
View Quote

Using Jake decoys is always a hard decision, and you don't know if you were right until the big Tom doesn't commit, which is too late.

I am 3 of 3 using the funky chicken and I was 1 of 4 using a regular Jake decoy.  They see that fucker and come in hot generally. 2 of my 3 properties have a good amount of bully Jake groups/2 year old groups.  One old bird would hang way back because 3 young Jake's were running the place.  They were in a different area one day after the hens nested and big boy came in above me.  I did some soft calling and he worked his way towards me.  He crested a knoll, saw that funky chicken and came running on a string to kick his scrawny ass. I took him at 22 yards.

** There will be a time that a beat up bird will not come in to even kick the funky chicken's ass, but I haven't experienced it yet.  

*** 3 out of 3 is defined as gobblers that responded to calls, saw the decoys, and came in. Obviously I'm not 100% on turkeys I've hunted!

Behold, the Funky Chicken!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
Hey OP.  

View Quote

I’ll add 2 for 2 with mine, love it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

Yesterday afternoon off my basement porch.  Really weird because he's almost always alone.  Wouldn't be much of a challenge to plug one on my property which is the main reason I don't bother.  Fun to watch though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#49]
That's extremely awesome, OP!  I've been a big game hunter for years. I grew up shooting all types of birds on my grandparents' farm. They had almost 300 acres of alfalfa and grapes. Those birds loved those grapes, but grandpa didn't love those birds.

We would go to the local hardware store and grandpa bought hundreds of .410 and 20g shells for my brother and I. We would drive his pickup all around the farm, killing anything that had wings on it. I think it was because of that history that neither my brother or I have found any kind of bird hunting appealing as we have gotten older.

With that being said, my bride expressed a desire to turkey hunt. We just bought her a 20 gauge last weekend. She's a smaller chic, so she got a youth model, which will also work for my son.

Youth get to try their hand at getting a turkey this next weekend before the general season opens up for everyone, so we're gonna take him and this 20g for a walk.

I have heard from very experienced turkey hunters that turkey killing is actually pretty difficult because their vision is so damn good. I don't know shit about hunting turkeys, but I figure we find a decent spot to break our silhouettes up, throw a decoy out, make some calls, and see what develops.

Any tips from you dudes would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By FALex:
That's extremely awesome, OP!  I've been a big game hunter for years. I grew up shooting all types of birds on my grandparents' farm. They had almost 300 acres of alfalfa and grapes. Those birds loved those grapes, but grandpa didn't love those birds.

We would go to the local hardware store and grandpa bought hundreds of .410 and 20g shells for my brother and I. We would drive his pickup all around the farm, killing anything that had wings on it. I think it was because of that history that neither my brother or I have found any kind of bird hunting appealing as we have gotten older.

With that being said, my bride expressed a desire to turkey hunt. We just bought her a 20 gauge last weekend. She's a smaller chic, so she got a youth model, which will also work for my son.

Youth get to try their hand at getting a turkey this next weekend before the general season opens up for everyone, so we're gonna take him and this 20g for a walk.

I have heard from very experienced turkey hunters that turkey killing is actually pretty difficult because their vision is so damn good. I don't know shit about hunting turkeys, but I figure we find a decent spot to break our silhouettes up, throw a decoy out, make some calls, and see what develops.

Any tips from you dudes would be greatly appreciated!
View Quote

Part of the enjoyment is taking new hunters. Good luck!

There’s a ton of information out there. Don’t get too bogged down. Simple yelps and clucks can get it done. You do need to be well hidden, or very still.

“The best way to learn is to make stupid mistakes, in front of live turkeys, and have them point it out to you.” -Tom Kelly

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top