BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:

Wild breed, domestically raised would be my guess. Usually domestic breeds of that color have overly large heads and most have no beard.
View Quote

The white wings are throwing us off
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/438654/IMG_9025_jpeg-3201325.JPG

Buddy and I are having a debate.   Farm bird or wild?
View Quote

I gotta go farm
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Might as well start a website called “OnlyHens”

Seriously.  I had a hen hang in my decoys for half an hour Monday. Saw a total of 6 Monday.
I leave my spot today and shuffle to another spot. My trail cam (opposite end of field from my first spot) has a strutting tom show up half an hour after I left.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Seriously.  I had a hen hang in my decoys for half an hour Monday. Saw a total of 6 Monday.
I leave my spot today and shuffle to another spot. My trail cam (opposite end of field from my first spot) has a strutting tom show up half an hour after I left.

View Quote

I like when hens show up. They can do the dirty work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By rock71:

I like when hens show up. They can do the dirty work.
View Quote

Yup.  I set the call down.  Leaned back and let her do everything for me.  
Mostly they seem to just be cruising through. This is in a very high pressure area.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Came in silent this morning after gobbling until 7:30, dead at 8:10.  2yo 20.4#, 7/8, 7 1/4

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:
Came in silent this morning after gobbling until 7:30, dead at 8:10.  2yo 20.4#, 7/8, 7 1/4

https://i.imgur.com/FJXdHKv.jpg

View Quote

Nice bird !
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:57:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: explodingvarmints] [#8]
This jackass was gobbling his head off outside my bedroom window this morning.  I think he was mistaking his reflection in the walkout basement doorwall for a hen or something .  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:
This jackass was gobbling his head off outside my bedroom window this morning.  I think he was mistaking his reflection in the walkout basement doorwall for a hen or something .  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337369/Screenshot_20240503-095543_Gallery_jpg-3204372.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#10]
This jackass was gobbling his head off outside my bedroom window this morning.  I think he was mistaking his reflection in the walkout basement doorwall for a hen or something .  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337369/Screenshot_20240503-095543_Gallery_jpg-3204372.JPG
View Quote

This guy spent about 20 minutes arguing with himself about who was better looking.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Patience grasshopper. Reminds me of people sitting at a slot machine for a while with no wins only to walk away and hear the machine go off for another person their 3rd pull.
Seriously, good luck.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:00:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71] [#12]
My best friend sent me this. Whiffed a boss gobbler at 5:30 PM on the last day of the season. 4.10 TSS @ 17 yards. Talk about a heartbreaker. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#13]
My best friend sent me this. Whiffed a boss gobbler at 5:30 PM on the last day of the season. 4.10 TSS @ 17 yards. Talk about a heartbreaker. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55995/IMG_0328_jpeg-3204755.JPG
View Quote

Lol, that's good.

I'm going to PA tomorrow for their opener, supposed to be rainy. I bought a poncho from Amazon, it arrived today, damn thing isn't water proof, lol. Should be an interesting morning. Bird green generally move good but quiet in the rain.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

That coloration sure looks like a Rio!  Wouldn’t expect that in Michigan.

Here’s a Rio I shot (camera!) in Hawaii some years back; a descendant of the 500 some odd birds released across the islands in the 1950s.

Rio Grande Strut by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mrmissem:

Patience grasshopper. Reminds me of people sitting at a slot machine for a while with no wins only to walk away and hear the machine go off for another person their 3rd pull.
Seriously, good luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mrmissem:

Seriously, good luck.

lol. I had the same thought.  
I was out there for 4 hours.  I left to get lunch and take a shit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
descendant of the 500 some odd birds released across the islands in the 1950s.

https://live.staticflickr.com/2611/32141822734_5849068703_h.jpgRio Grande Strut by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

Reading and watching old videos of conservation efforts back in the 50’s and 60’s and 70’s sure reminds you what a different world we live in now.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Pretty quiet morning here in PA.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Beerfarm243:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577509/1000033097_jpg-3205080.JPG
View Quote

I've seen 6 gobblers, every damned direction you can think of but in range, lol.

Hoping at 10 they come over to where I am to strut a little. Lots of gobbles but no interest in coming to the call yet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#19]
My son got his first turkey.  Proud dad moment.  Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Outstanding!  Great job young man!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Beerfarm243:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577509/1000033097_jpg-3205080.JPG
View Quote

At least you have the ticks to keep you company.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

That coloration sure looks like a Rio!  Wouldn’t expect that in Michigan.

Here’s a Rio I shot (camera!) in Hawaii some years back; a descendant of the 500 some odd birds released across the islands in the 1950s.

https://live.staticflickr.com/2611/32141822734_5849068703_h.jpgRio Grande Strut by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

Cool picture.  I'm not well versed in turkeys.  This one just looks like every other tom I've seen on the property, always just assumed they were normal easterns.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I killed a turkey week before last with my truck.  The King Ranch bumper guard probably saved me from buying a new headlight assembly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ISED8U:
I killed a turkey week before last with my truck.  The King Ranch bumper guard probably saved me from buying a new headlight assembly.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67619/IMG_8999_jpg-3205205.JPG
View Quote

Years ago I was driving way too fast on a paved middle of nowhere road in Northern MI.  Took a hen to the passenger side windshield.  It partially broke through the safety plastic/whatever in the windshield!  A few years before that I took a turkey to the side of my helmet while snowmobiling in the U.P.  That HURT!  Nearly took me off the sled.  Maybe that's why I don't particularly like turkeys. . .
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:23:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Earl_Basset] [#25]
Birds all over, but there's fog and low pressure so not much gobbling. The neighbor just killed one of the three 2 year old birds that were grouped together.  The other two walked past me out of range, no interest in the call. Love gobbler still in here above me somewhere.

Trail cam caught some good pictures yesterday though. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Outstanding!!

He’ll remember this day for the rest of his life.

My only turkey hunting regret is it took me 31 years to start turkey hunting, and 34 years before I shot my first bird.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Cool picture.  I'm not well versed in turkeys.  This one just looks like every other tom I've seen on the property, always just assumed they were normal easterns.
View Quote

Population maps indicate it can’t be anything other than an Eastern, but look at those tail feather tips. Rios have as one of their distinguishing characteristics those light buff colored tips. Easterns are distinctly brown. Though my second bird this year was slightly melanistic in that he had some pigment loss in the middle portion of some of his tail feathers.

But those tips don’t look melanistic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ISED8U:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67619/IMG_8999_jpg-3205205.JPG
View Quote

Buddy of mine hit one on the interstate.

IMG_20160509_190817-Turkey1 by FredMan, on Flickr

IMG_0100-Turkey by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Yep, that's about what my windshield looked like.  Really awesome 4 hour drive home . . . in the middle of Winter.  I made it about 1 1/2 hours before getting pulled over.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:43:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Earl_Basset] [#30]
I'm ashamed and embarrassed to admit that after all these years I let playing with a phone cost me a trophy animal.

Woods were quiet, I picked up the phone, was reading about some lady whose Wolfdog got loose, realized I haven't called in a while so I just go to put the phone down and pick up my call.....

The Boss lone gobbler had came in silent on me, from below (which is the one direction I didn't expect), and was 25 yards at alert. He took the hell off before I knew what hit me.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. I put the phone down and began focusing on hunting. He was standing right in front of my trail cam so I'm hoping I have a good pic of him,  lol.

**looking at phone has probably let animals pass I didn't know of, but the was the first "Oh shit!" moment.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Aww, dang. I know for sure that I’ve seen animals that I would have missed if I had been distracted. Who knows how many I’ve missed because I got bored and started flipping through my phone. I bet most of us have.

I had a big gobbler startle me one afternoon. He was gobbling and double gobbling late in the day. I tucked in behind an overgrown fence line and started looking into a field, where I expected him to appear. After a few minutes of quiet, I reached down for my call. As it turns out, he wasn’t in the field at all. He must have ran down the dirt road, right to me. We saw each other about the same time, from about 25’ away. I don’t know who it scared worse, me or him. Needless to say, I got to see how fast a turkey can fly, because he was gone before I could even get to my gun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#32]
How come random turkeys never show up when I’m hunting? https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55995/IMG_0088_jpeg-3195799.JPG
View Quote

2 years ago I was up turkey hunting in Michigan's thumb. Came home and the security cam showed a turkey walking by my lakeside door.
This year would have been nice if opener had been April 1 instead of April 20. Have yet to see a turkey on my buddy's property.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:22:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zak406] [#33]

Got one this morning

https://imgur.com/a/t1AyTp1
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#34]
We have a bunch of them in the back yard. We live on an old golf course and almost daily they are strutting in my backyard 15ft from my back porch. Big ones too. The gobbling wakes us up in the mornings sometimes lol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Had to attend a birthday party, of course this guy shows up 10 yards in front of where I usually sit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:
Had to attend a birthday party, of course this guy shows up 10 yards in front of where I usually sit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133760/1000000339_jpg-3211982.JPG
View Quote

Well, I hope you made the birthday person feel awful about ruining your life.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#37]
The Funky Chicken got it done again!

Finally. I nicknamed this guy "Ol Silent" because he kept coming in silent as hell and busted me as I'm not using a blind this year because of a recent shoulder surgery.  He would gobble on the limb and then not a peep as he would come in, and every time from a direction I wasn't expecting and bust me before I could get in a shooting position.  He did it again early this morning, but all he saw was my leg straighten and then 5 deer walked right through so he just kind of left versus high tailing it out of there. I had 3 gobblers about 150 yards to my right and this guy silently came in from my left without a single gobble.  I repositioned myself with more brush beside me, put a funky chicken decoy where it was more visible and quietly called.  He had worked his way in a big circle and was now below me.  Before I even got the call out of my hand he broke into the field headed right towards me.  I slowly ditched the call into my lap, raised the little 410 up and at 28 yards completed my 2024 season.  10.5" beard, 1 inch spurs, nice 2 year old bird. It wasn't pretty this year, but birds were active each day and I once again learned a lot. PA may be later than VA and WV but they sure were more active where I hunt in PA than the other two states I hunt in.  I bought that .410 and TSS for low recoil for this year, but I'm pretty impressed with it (but still going back to my 20 Guage next year, at least for the first bird).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top