Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/27/2024 6:53:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TriggerM]
Can't remember the last suicide we had locally. Now 2. Don't know either of them, but both of them were around 27.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Man that really sucks.  There is a theory on suicide contagion but who knows.  I hope not.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sad statement on us, particularly when they are young.  Fucking dark place in life.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Largest group tends to be white males 45-60 years old.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mike_Golf:
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

I can see why.  I'm in that group and I've had to face some hard realities lately.  Some days are a real struggle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hooligan223:

I can see why.  I'm in that group and I've had to face some hard realities lately.  Some days are a real struggle.
View Quote

Would you care to elaborate?  I'm in that group.  What do I need to look out for?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#7]
"If you don't make by the time you're 45 you won't make it".
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:57:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GDaawg] [#8]
Had a friend years ago claimed he had a micropenis. Was always angry about everything and at everyone it seemed.  Lost touch with him over the years but found out about 20 some odd years later he killed himself. My mind went straight to micropenis being the cause.

My not so helpful suicide story for the week.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

We seem to have those somewhat regularly around here.  The young guys on the other hand make much more of an impact on the community.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:16:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: digitalebola] [#10]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

Would you care to elaborate?  I'm in that group.  What do I need to look out for?
View Quote

In my situation it has gotten bleak (im okay and getting through). 54 separated from wife two years ago. Moved to another state. Still paying for the house which she lives in. See my son once a month. Living in a 70 year old house (grandads old place) in the past 3 months I have had to rewire the place, tear out a wall to fix a plumbing leak. A week later the water heater went. Job sucks… maxed out on salary - so have not had a raise in 10 years. Barely scraping by - if there is a financial emergency savings are gone. Credit in the toilet.

Have I made bad decision? Sure - but so have lots of other 45-65 year olds. There is no time to recover from failure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I've known a few.  Permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to get dispatched to work on about every day around 4PM it seemed. One was a friend from highschool. I won't ever talk shit on .380 now. That went through and through a head, a door casing and several layers of folded jeans.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Guy I served with who seemed perfectly normal at least outwardly wound up sticking a shotgun in his mouth and pulling the trigger.

I think a nasty divorce and (possibly) exorbitant alimony payments may have been part of it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I was a volunteer firefighter/medic in a town of 6,000 for twelve years.  In that small town there were more suicides than I would have ever imagined.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
View Quote

Same. Fucking selfish cowards. Nothing like working the suicide of a guy you went to the police academy with who did it with his best friend’s duty weapon in his driveway for everyone to see.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mancow:
I used to get dispatched to work on about every day around 4PM it seemed. One was a friend from highschool. I won't ever talk shit on .380 now. That went through and through a head, a door casing and several layers of folded jeans.
View Quote

Anyone who "talks shit" on .380, .38 Special, or even lowly old .32, are a real special kind of retarded.

Yeah, carry the most powerful caliber you can manage and are comfortable with, but don't EVER underestimate that family.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not necessarily the case of the poster you quoted but many at this point realize that either life choices or just plain bad luck will determine when they can retire.

Many thinking they have a good plan up until this point and the wheels fall off.  Between divorce, health issues, job loss and other things all the dreams they had go "poof."  It is also when many parents die and life just isn't the same.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#18]
We need more God and Family - and less stuff or social media.   It's a shit show out there and I worry for our kids.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
Fucking selfish cowards.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RRA_223:
We need more God and Family - and less stuff or social media.   It's a shit show out there and I worry for our kids.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I’m between 33-35 y/o and will also admit that I struggle with the same issues. The the constant “highs” and “lows” are worse than riding “The Tower Of Terror”.

I really hope things start getting better for us.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Were they in a rock band?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Plenty of problems are permanent. For the sake of those left behind, please reconsider the use of this trite phase that is entirely unhelpful and often incorrect.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:23:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonny762] [#24]

View Quote
I'm in that group. At least for me it's seeming to become a mix of "this is about as good as it's gonna get, it ain't very good, and it's getting worse".. on top of all that shit you always thought you'd be able do or accomplish at some unspecified point in the future? Yeah, ain't none of that happening. It's not "just gonna work out someday", and the windows that were missed when they were open ain't ever opening again. But I've long ago realized I just am not wired for suicide. Too chicken shit I guess.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Yup,

My hometown of less than 1000 people had 3 suicides in the last couple months.  All young men.  

The towns past time is heavy drinking though, sadly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By jonny762:
I'm in that group. At least for me it's seeming to become a mix of "this is about as good as it's gonna get, it ain't very good, and it's getting worse".. on top of all that shit you always thought you'd be able do or accomplish at some unspecified point in the future? Yeah, ain't none of that happening. It's not "just gonna work out someday", and the windows that were missed when they were open ain't ever opening again. But I've long ago realized I just am not wired for suicide. Too chicken shit I guess.
View Quote

PM me whenever you’d like. I share many of the same struggles that you battle with every day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

QFTMFT
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
Man that really sucks.  There is a theory on suicide contagion but who knows.  I hope not.
View Quote

Two girls at my kids high school killed themselves within a few weeks of each other. The first was a friend of our youngest. A psychologist consulting with the school said there is a high likelihood of a second and the individual would most likely be a girl and wouldn’t be in the circle of friends of the first, she would be a friend of a friend of the first. The prediction came true within a month.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Surprisingly, many suicides turn out to have been on antidepressants! Their doctor didn't properly titrate the medication.
Many years ago, suicide was determined to be due to maladjusted chemical levels in the brain; this wasn't a scientific study, but they went about "adjusting" the chemicals anyway.

One statistic I'm concerned about is the number of suicides due to self-defense situations; evidently the first year after a SD shooting is hazardous. Anyone care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Same. Fucking selfish cowards. Nothing like working the suicide of a guy you went to the police academy with who did it with his best friend’s duty weapon in his driveway for everyone to see.
View Quote

Lets see you apply that to a family member who makes the attempt. Your attitude will change.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jonny762:
View Quote

I don't know man.  I look at my father in law and am inspired.  He's retired 4 times now.  This last time a buddy called him with an idea when they were both 68y old.  They got excited, pooled some cash, started this new business, got a couple government grants, signed 2 big customers...now he's started his 3rd company from scratch.  It's not yet self sufficient but 45 aint shit.  I'm watching a dude knocking on 70 accomplish more in two years than most kids right out of college.  

I guess it's perspective and motivation.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:10:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#33]
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:
Guy I served with who seemed perfectly normal at least outwardly wound up sticking a shotgun in his mouth and pulling the trigger.

I think a nasty divorce and (possibly) exorbitant alimony payments may have been part of it.
View Quote

A divorce after a long marriage a few years before retirement is probably one of the most mentally, financially, and emotionally difficult things a man will ever go through in his life. You WILL be wiped out in pretty much every way possible and most family friends will probably avoid you because females tend to be very good at draping the blame on the man, even if she was caught fvcking a threesome of pool boys on video.

Even if you can dig your way out and even if you date, if you are smart, you won't ever get remarried because it's a financial ''bullet to the head'' game and once most woman find out they aren't ever getting a ring on their finger and he's a financial nothing hole to them and not their retirement nest egg, they will look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Surprisingly, many suicides turn out to have been on antidepressants! Their doctor didn't properly titrate the medication.
Many years ago, suicide was determined to be due to maladjusted chemical levels in the brain; this wasn't a scientific study, but they went about "adjusting" the chemicals anyway.
View Quote

Please clarify. Are you suggesting that people seek out help and go on antidepressants without any suicidal thoughts, then suicidal thoughts start after they start taking meds?

If you see a fat person eating a salad, do you assume the salad is making them fat, or do you think it would be a reasonable conclusion that they eating a salad because they are fat?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

yes and no. Not the largest but is increasing the most.
CDC stats
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:

Please clarify. Are you suggesting that people seek out help and go on antidepressants without any suicidal thoughts, then suicidal thoughts start after they start taking meds?

If you see a fat person eating a salad, do you assume the salad is making them fat, or do you think it would be a reasonable conclusion that they eating a salad because they are fat?
View All Quotes

I’ve been on a few and said f it. Two made me hear voices telling me to either end it or commit violent acts against people. One helped but the other side effects such as a crushed sex drive, inability to orgasm, ejaculating after urination and ED say F this. I asked one more time for help after stopping all meds for a few years. I made my complaints known so we tried a new medication. This one made me start planning suicide after years of suicidal ideation not being an issue. In my humble opinion these meds are poison with little redeeming quality for people who aren’t seriously off their rocker.

I decided that I am what I am and I won’t be trying some chemical concoction to make me “normal” to others.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I read somewhere that the smallest affected group was black females. The posited reasoning behind it was that black women have a much larger support network with their larger extended families and neighbors in close proximity. Perhaps there are some lessons to be learned for the over-represented groups in this figure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:

I’ve been on a few and said f it. Two made me hear voices telling me to either end it or commit violent acts against people. One helped but the other side effects such as a crushed sex drive, inability to orgasm, ejaculating after urination and ED say F this. I asked one more time for help after stopping all meds for a few years. I made my complaints known so we tried a new medication. This one made me start planning suicide after years of suicidal ideation not being an issue. In my humble opinion these meds are poison with little redeeming quality for people who aren’t seriously off their rocker.

I decided that I am what I am and I won’t be trying some chemical concoction to make me “normal” to others.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:

That is an interesting experience - glad you made it through all that.

I’ll bet not everyone does.  And the pharmaceutical industry has little incentive to really look at the problem.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#39]
What did they know about fair and honest elections?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RRA_223:
View Quote

This ^^

Lots of people hopped up on some sort of drug; live self-absorbed lives; have no hope; just sit around all day and be miserable; broken families; etc....I could go on and on.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#41]
In the last 12 months I've personally known three people who have commiteed sucicde.  A co-worker, a friend and a cousin.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#42]
When one happens here there's always 1 or 2 more not long after. Usually men in their late 20's or early 30's.

Several years ago it was two brothers. One shot himself, got all kinds of attention as a result, big service, the works. Like a month later his brother did the same and because of the history of them being a little crazy everyone was like "Yeah, seems like something he would do", and that was that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I wonder if we will see more, during the seemingly unstoppable decline of American prominence and prosperity.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By GDaawg:
Had a friend years ago claimed he had a micropenis. Was always angry about everything and at everyone it seemed.  Lost touch with him over the years but found out about 20 some odd years later he killed himself. My mind went straight to micropenis being the cause.

View Quote

Maybe not a direct cause, but being an actual incel probably really fucks with people.

Poor guy, probably faced ridicule more than once if he got far enough with a woman.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Maybe not a direct cause, but being an actual incel probably really fucks with people.

Poor guy, probably faced ridicule more than once if he got far enough with a woman.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
Originally Posted By GDaawg:

Apparently it is more common than you would think and pretty common with the gym bros.

I had a slutty coworker who was a big power lifter. She said that she and a number of her sloot friends stopped dating the gym bros because a huge percentage were micro penis.

That would really suck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Sad thing is this nation is going to need men for what comes next.
It will be hard ...depressing ...maybe thankless...that's what men do...we fight.
Evil and Darkness is banking on pushing men to the point of breaking...it needs them hopless and broken. That is an open door for the flood gates of totalitarian horror.

Don't give up or in my friends...stay in the fight...The King is on the front lines.

Why You Must Stop Evil People

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Uncompahgre:

Plenty of problems are permanent. For the sake of those left behind, please reconsider the use of this trite phase that is entirely unhelpful and often incorrect.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Uncompahgre:

I had a friend in HS kill himself over a girl that led about him being abusive, broke up with him, etc. That was temporary.  

Someone doing that in their 40's to 50's because of divorce, permanent financial hardship from the family court system, destroyed relationships with children, etc are sometimes permanent problems.  

In either case, it's inappropriate to trivialize the issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Walkure:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Walkure:
Fucking selfish cowards.

I can understand the sentiment to a certain extent having dealt with suicidal people for alot of my life both personally and professional

He is not wrong in some cases.   But people commit suicide for a variety of reasons and it is more complex than people realize.  Mental health issues are a part of it.

There are a few traits I have seen in probably 75% of suicide or attempted suicidal persons though:

1.  Poor life decisions or choices.  They make bad decisions
2.  Weak willed.   Hate to say but most are weak willed persons.  Not just because they committed suicide or tried to commit suicide but in their life as a whole.   Ties in with 1.  

Not as black and white issue as many think though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By digitalebola:

In my situation it has gotten bleak (im okay and getting through). 54 separated from wife two years ago. Moved to another state. Still paying for the house which she lives in. See my son once a month. Living in a 70 year old house (grandads old place) in the past 3 months I have had to rewire the place, tear out a wall to fix a plumbing leak. A week later the water heater went. Job sucks  maxed out on salary - so have not had a raise in 10 years. Barely scraping by - if there is a financial emergency savings are gone. Credit in the toilet.

Have I made bad decision? Sure - but so have lots of other 45-65 year olds. There is no time to recover from failure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By digitalebola:

In my situation it has gotten bleak (im okay and getting through). 54 separated from wife two years ago. Moved to another state. Still paying for the house which she lives in. See my son once a month. Living in a 70 year old house (grandads old place) in the past 3 months I have had to rewire the place, tear out a wall to fix a plumbing leak. A week later the water heater went. Job sucks  maxed out on salary - so have not had a raise in 10 years. Barely scraping by - if there is a financial emergency savings are gone. Credit in the toilet.

It's hard recovering and starting over at 54 but it can be done. The hardest part is controlling your attitude. A lot of men change careers about the same age of you) but do so for positive reasons. Try changing your attitude as you're doing something that is very worthwhile: fixing your grandfather's house is really cool. Do you FaceTime with your son? I think you have a lot to share with him. Maybe get a routine of FaceTiming after dinner daily. Overall I am very sorry that things are so rough right now. Hang in there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top