Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2023 6:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jedibluesaber]
Hello ar15.com

Thought I'd share this. 1st time anything like this has ever happened to me.

I got a ring alert on my phone and I saw 3 guys coming out of a car and jump my gate and enter my backyard, the 1st guy sees me around the corner opening my patio door with my ar15 and he takes off. The other 2 guys jump back over the gate and take off when they see his buddy running back towards them.

When my ring went off, I had about 8 seconds to grab my ar15 and open the patio door. I didn't know I could move that fast.

I live in California and its a 10 round magazine restricted state and a magazine lock for all semi auto rifles. If the 3 burglars and the driver decided to enter my home with guns, would 10 rounds be enough to fight off the intruders? I'm beginning to think its not. The stress of having to open the lower receiver, drop the magazine, insert a magazine, close the lower receiver, make sure lower receiver is locked so the rifle fires, seems that it'll get me killed during reloading.  Should I switch to a handgun instead of using my rifle?

When the police arrived they informed me if I had shot them outside I would be facing murder charges and only if they were inside my house I could've legally defended myself. I told the deputy "Well shit, I got 3 guys with masks and hoodies on, wearing gloves, which is what murders and killers wear, and I have to wait until their inside to defend myself." The deputy replied that is the only way in California but also gave me an understanding nod.

From this incident I learned that in California its better to call the police 1st, stay inside and be ready for intruders to enter, and to have several handguns or rifles ready to switch off in case of multiple intruders since it'll be faster then trying to reload my ar15.

Any advice is appreciated.

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's some advice! MOVE......

Glad no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
NY Reload.

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Heck of a first post OP
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Read "Principles of Self Defense" by Col. Jeff Cooper. Learn about "fatal funnel."
You may also think about arranging your furniture to slow access of bad guys to your house, IOW slow them down, giving you more time.
Then evaluate your home to estimate where a bullet will go if you or the BG misses. Is there a bedroom on the other side of that wall behind you?
But FIRST, go onto YouTube and search for "Why I never talk to the police." It's a 2 part video; watch them both. It's about what to say and what NOT to say. It's very easy to incriminate yourself in that situation.

THEN move!
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#5]
get 30rd mags, get better video than 144p

bait n wait
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a cannon loaded w/ grapeshot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#7]
You just learned no one is going to save you, so why follow the asinine law on lowers and magazine size.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Get rid of the Ring so shit isn't uploaded to the cloud to be brought into the court for evidence.

Shoot then drag the body inside.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome.

Time to move and start defending your family with a suppressed SBR...

Props on having a gate. Creates standoff and reaction time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:53:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#10]
I think most pistols reload faster than a CA compliant AR15. The HK .45 runs 10 round mags.  In my experience bad guys fear a shotgun more than a rifle or pistol. Do stay inside out of sight. The exception is if they are obviously armed and coming toward you a reasonable person would believe their life is threatened even if they are in the yard.  Most burglars just want to steal your things but you don’t know that these are not cartel killers with the wrong address. Once three men have forcibly entered and you’re trapped a reasonable person would believe their life was threatened. Join USCCA and train. Keep in mind liberals see the AR15 in a negative light that does not extend to a lever action .44 mag Henry or a  10 round pistol or 12 ga riot gun. Even a bolt action that runs 10 round mags could load faster, Tikka tactical .308 w 10 round mags etc.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:55:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#11]
Make your castle harder to break into.   DO NOT open the door.

New York is the toilet on the other coast, but you might want a New York reload readily at hand.

Follow the self-defense rules of your locale.

Go onto YouTube and search for "Don't talk to the police."

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#12]
 I live in California and its a 10 round magazine restricted state and a magazine lock for all semi auto rifles.
View Quote

Sounds like you need 3 AR15s by the door!
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpankMonkey:
Here's some advice! MOVE......

Glad no one was hurt.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jedibluesaber:
Hello ar15.com

Thought I'd share this. 1st time anything like this has ever happened to me.

I got a ring alert on my phone and I saw 3 guys coming out of a car and jump my gate and enter my backyard, the 1st guy sees me around the corner opening my patio door with my ar15 and he takes off. The other 2 guys jump back over the gate and take off when they see his buddy running back towards them.

https://youtu.be/hvteX11jI4g
1st video
https://youtu.be/me80gKGK4Pw  
2nd video

When my ring went off, I had about 8 seconds to grab my ar15 and open the patio door. I didn't know I could move that fast.

I live in California and its a 10 round magazine restricted state and a magazine lock for all semi auto rifles. If the 3 burglars and the driver decided to enter my home with guns, would 10 rounds be enough to fight off the intruders? I'm beginning to think its not. The stress of having to open the lower receiver, drop the magazine, insert a magazine, close the lower receiver, make sure lower receiver is locked so the rifle fires, seems that it'll get me killed during reloading.  Should I switch to a handgun instead of using my rifle?

When the police arrived they informed me if I had shot them outside I would be facing murder charges and only if they were inside my house I could've legally defended myself. I told the deputy "Well shit, I got 3 guys with masks and hoodies on, wearing gloves, which is what murders and killers wear, and I have to wait until their inside to defend myself." The deputy replied that is the only way in California but also gave me an understanding nod.

From this incident I learned that in California its better to call the police 1st, stay inside and be ready for intruders to enter, and to have several handguns or rifles ready to switch off in case of multiple intruders since it'll be faster then trying to reload my ar15.

Any advice is appreciated.

View Quote

Move to a free state!
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I am no expert, but it is always better to stay indoors behind locked doors and let them come to you, vs. you walking around outside trying to engage them. Not only from a legal standpoint, but also from a tactical standpoint.  My thinking has always been to find a safe place to retreat where you have a tactical advantage, call 911, and be recording and on the line giving a play by play to further support your claim of self-defense and being backed into a corner so to speak.  

The only reason I would venture forth is if I had children or family to get to and protect.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Johnnymenudo:  I am no expert, but it is always better to stay indoors behind locked doors and let them come to you, vs. you walking around outside trying to engage them. Not only from a legal standpoint, but also from a tactical standpoint.  My thinking has always been to find a safe place to retreat where you have a tactical advantage, call 911, and be recording and on the line giving a play by play to further support your claim of self-defense and being backed into a corner so to speak.  

The only reason I would venture forth is if I had children or family to get to and protect.
View Quote

Many states don't have a duty to retreat, and at least in Texas, you can use lethal force in defense of your property.  Someone tries to cut out my catalytic converter, I'm not going to try to shoot him from an upstairs window.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top