Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

4 Runner owners (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2024 2:56:20 PM EDT
Just paid off our 2019 Honda Pilot EXL.  The good = Lots of room with the 3rd row, decent ride, 26mpg, AWD and it's paid off with just under 75k and extended powertrain warranty to 120k.  The bad =  It's been to the dealer at least a dozen times for the infotainment system and rough shifting. We are also on our 6th windshield.  Infotainment system decided to power off on a 12hr road trip and have had issues with it since.  I guess Honda used fiber optics and the way they were routed ended up with too many bends and somehow causes a ton of issues such as popping noise in the speakers, either no power at all or it stays powered on even though the car is off and doors are locked.  That caused a dead battery.  Shifting issues happen randomly a few times every 10k miles.  The trans calls for fluid change every 30k which is a drain and fill and I've done both but still seem to have the issue. No idea what causes the windshield cracks, they all start around the perimeter so think it's something to do with the heating/cooling process.

That said I have a 2020 Tundra with 80k trouble free miles.  Great truck and paid off.  I see the 2025 4 runners coming out and only have the option for a turbo 4 or hybrid.  Like the Tundra's proven V8, the V6 in the 4 runner is a great motor and the transmission is even better.  We thought the Honda would be a 200k car for us but I don't want to run it out of warranty.  I think moving to a 4 runner would be something to last another 10-15 years and should be reliable up to and beyond 200k as everything on them has been around for years and they seem to be super reliable.

Anyone that's stepped up from a 4 door Pilot/Highlander, etc what's your opinion on the 4 runners?  I know it'll be louder, rougher ride, less mpg but we can live with that if we're confident it'll be something to keep and not have to worry about for a long long time.  In particular we are looking for a white Limited as the front end looks a little better than on the SR5's and TRD's.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be the guy that says expand your search into 2021-23 GX460s. You'll find used ones are similar to or cheaper than 4runners of same age/miles.

It's everything a 4 runner wants to be including comparable mpg.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd avoid the new 6th Gen 4Runners as we don't know the reliability of their turbo 4cylinders yet long term, plus the back passenger seat doesnt fully fold flat as far as i'm aware.  (Plus i'm biased, i hate the new look)  

I have a 2019 5th Gen that has been nothing but reliable, plenty of space, tons of aftermarket support.  Is a gas guzzler though, but that much is already known to most people.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]
the same driveline that is coming in the new 4runner is being used in the hilux..   if it matters..
I have a 16 runner and never needed anything more than front glass,tires. oil, and lots of fuel   averaged 16.4 over 200k miles.

I also saw the post of the LC. I agree.  more polished and just as reliable..
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#4]
We went from a Highlander to a GX460, both third rows. 4Runner dimensions will be similar to the GX460.

Room - Highlander was bigger on the inside in all directions, and a bit wider on the outside.

Driver position - The Highlander feels like you are sitting in a sedan, the GX460 is more upright, sort of truck like.

MPG - I think we were getting 22/26 with the Highlander, the GX460 is 18/20

Neither one gave us any mechanical or electrical problems, typical Toyota quality.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a 2017 TRD and sold it.  It was lethargic with shitty fuel mileage.  The transmission wanted top gear at 35mph and didn't want to downshift....otherwise it was a good rig.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#6]
I will tell you right now, buy a 2024 4Runner while you can.  You are going to hear all kinds of negative stuff, no pick up, bad gas mileage, this and that.

The reason why the 4Runner does not have any pick up is because the fly by wire accelerator pedal is severely de-tuned.  I installed a Pedal Commander on my 4Runner and it is a whole different vehicle.  I keep mine on Sport-0 and I really like it.

In terms of gas mileage, it is on the lower end, but the vehicle makes up for it in terms of reliability

I am 100% in on the V6 4Runner.  I have a 2022 TRD ORP and a 2020 Land Cruiser and I like driving the 4Runner better

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 6172crew:
I had a 2017 TRD and sold it.  It was lethargic with shitty fuel mileage.  The transmission wanted top gear at 35mph and didn't want to downshift....otherwise it was a good rig.
View Quote

A Sprint Booster will make a 4Runner feel like a whole new vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:

View Quote

@Birddog1911

You are about the 3rd or 4th person I have heard mention the Sprint Booster.  I need to look into that one.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:50:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Birddog1911] [#9]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

@Birddog1911

You are about the 3rd or 4th person I have heard mention the Sprint Booster.  I need to look into that one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:

@Birddog1911

77Bronc mentioned the Pedal Commander, as well. FWIW, I couldn't be happier with my Sprint Booster. I actually ordered mine before I took possession of my 21 TRD ORP.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Limited would be among my last picks for a 4Runner.

Get a TRD off Road premium
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I will tell you right now, buy a 2024 4Runner while you can.  You are going to hear all kinds of negative stuff, no pick up, bad gas mileage, this and that.

The reason why the 4Runner does not have any pick up is because the fly by wire accelerator pedal is severely de-tuned.  I installed a Pedal Commander on my 4Runner and it is a whole different vehicle.  I keep mine on Sport-0 and I really like it.

In terms of gas mileage, it is on the lower end, but the vehicle makes up for it in terms of reliability

I am 100% in on the V6 4Runner.  I have a 2022 TRD ORP and a 2020 Land Cruiser and I like driving the 4Runner better

View Quote

+1 on Pedal Commander,  changes all the complaints most people have on the pick up and go.  Granted the stock 4runner should be tuned better, pedal commander will let you tune it to your comfort level.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
4th Gen was the last good 4R.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#13]
HighLander is great choice if you are not gonna need to wheel it... Room, comfortable and 25, 26 mpg... Have a 2023 4Runner Off Road Prem that I bought Vetrans day... Love it also, smooth driving, great wheeling, mileage 17mpg, but don't care...
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SAARINEN:

+1 on Pedal Commander,  changes all the complaints most people have on the pick up and go.  Granted the stock 4runner should be tuned better, pedal commander will let you tune it to your comfort level.
View Quote

The Tundra has a tow/haul button and when it's on the throttle is way more responsive.  Not faster but it'll hold gears longer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
mine is practically a Prius

Pedal commander does make it feel more lively. Also have a TRD cold air intake paired with a TRD Exhaust, which does help a little and makes it sound a lot more powerful.

The 23-24 will be the sweet spot of 4Rs for a while I think.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By billth777:
I'll be the guy that says expand your search into 2021-23 GX460s. You'll find used ones are similar to or cheaper than 4runners of same age/miles.

View Quote

This. Had a 21 4Runner and compared to my 23 Lexus GX 460... yeah, GX460 all. day. long!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#17]
toyota/lexus guy here (2 x GX460's, ES350, RX350, 04 Tundra, previously owned 2007 V8 4Runner)...

just bought a 2023 GX after doing TONS of research (other brands, new GX, new 4Runner).  I wanted reliability, proven system understanding at the expense of mileage.

My 2013 GX is at 140K, zero issues other than oil, tires, and consumable items.  2023 is the same but the seats are more comfy, better electronics, but the main systems are the same (motor/drivetrain).

I am sure the new motor/drivetrain on the GX, 4Runner, and Landcruiser will all be fine long term, but I'm not going to be a beta tester.  

Yes, I am justifying my purchase, but I really did a ton of research prior to dropping ~$60K.  I'd say go used GX (2019-2023 or so).  The only thing you get on 2023 is a bigger screen with Apple play.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I would avoid buying the first year of a new generation, they always have more issues than later years. Get a 2024 of wait for a 2026.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HillaryClinton:
I would avoid buying the first year of a new generation, they always have more issues than later years. Get a 2024 of wait for a 2026.
View Quote

Correct.  I want the proven drivetrain in the 2024 and older models.  Same with the Tundra, I would not purchase one today with the V6.  My next Tundra will be a low mileage 2020 just like what I have now.  I'll probably pull the trigger on that in 2035 on Bring a Trailer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Doesn't the pedal commander simply bias the throttle towards initial travel?  Ergo, the same effect is achieved with a heavier foot?  This of course means there's nothing left towards WOT?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Doesn't the pedal commander simply bias the throttle towards initial travel?  Ergo, the same effect is achieved with a heavier foot?  This of course means there's nothing left towards WOT?
View Quote
Not exactly, but sortof.

The stock throttle curve is exponential, not linear. So it takes a lot of travel to start reaching the point where the curve starts to increase, then at the very end of the pedal travel you get the full curve.

The pedal commander makes it more linear, and you can change how steep the curve is via the different modes. So it is a little more predictable, and at the same time you can get into the throttle quicker with less pedal travel.

You can achieve similar results driving it in manual mode (holding gears longer) and using a little heavier foot, yes. For years I argued against pedal commanders and did exactly that.

Someone gave me one as a gift, and I will say, I do enjoy driving it in the Sport mode on the PC much more. I still drive it in manual shift mode most of the time, but it doesnt take as much depth of pedal if that makes sense.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I've owned 2 4-Runners.  

Both Limited models, 1st was a 2016, current is a 2020 (Nightshade Edition).

All the negative waves you've already heard.  Not great gas mileage, the dash screen isn't 50" across, acceleration hampered by EPA BS.

I won't own another SUV outside of the 4Runner/GX lineup.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HillaryClinton:
View Quote

The dealer premiums alone will keep people away from them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:04:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#24]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

View Quote

I will disagree unless  real-deal serious off-roading is something the OP is looking towards.  Even so, the Limited is ridiculously capable of road, with the tires being the main limiting factor.

The full-time 4WD system of the Limited makes it one of the most sure -footed vehicles you can drive in inclement weather.  If I lived anywhere that got rain and/or snow I would want my wife driving a 4Runner Limited over another trim, full stop.

The wife will probably like the Limited niceties as well.

That being said, for Limited money I would look towards a GX or an LC200.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess I’m just old, I have no issues with my 2014 4Runner. Pick-up is fine, gas mileage is what the sticker stated. I basically got a standard SR5, no gimmicks or extras. The only other thing I wanted in it was a sun roof. It’s a 10YO vehicle with 36K miles on it. Mainly used for taking the pups to the cabin or vets.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:31:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bronsonburner] [#26]
Originally Posted By 6172crew:
View Quote

That's kind of how they are.  They're an admittedly shitty "road" vehicle, but they aren't made for the pavement.  Kudos to Toyota for making a very offroad-capable vehicle at least moderately acceptable as a daily driver.  I love my '23.  Then again, I'm not overly picky about "road manners".  Got rock sliders coming for it as I post this.

ETA They have been this way since the first generation.  It's sad that so many think they look "cool" or whatever, buy one, then bitch about their shortcomings when they most likely never take them to their native playgrounds (offroad).
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#27]
My 2020 4Runner hadn't been back to the dealership since the last of the free oil changes. No need for it.

My only experience with the Pilot was my wife's 2013. I like the 4Runner better for all kinds of reasons, mostly relating to front seat room and how much nuisance stuff she had going on. It was like owning Chevrolets again almost.

To be fair, you burn through batteries faster when you leave lights on all weekend and then wake me up to jump your car because you refuse to either turn the lights off, over and over again, or learn to jump it yourself. And it's a little hard to distinguish between real alignment problems and "what the hell do you mean 'rotate tires?'"
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Yes.  No true "horsepower gains".
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a 2018 TRD off-road premium I purchased new. I haven’t had a sing issue with it. Some of the complaints you hear about acceleration and mpgs are valid, but the vehicle’s reliability trumps all those complaints. This is my 2nd 4Runner and the first one was sold when it hit 284K miles.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By billth777:

View Quote

I agree 100%. I'd actually make the case that the GX460 sits between the Landcruiser Prado J150 and the Landcruiser 200 Series and Lexus LX570 in the Toyota lineup.

The GX460 really is an awesome vehicle and really stands on its own against other Toyota offerings when you look at the features/specs.

It is essentially a midsize Toyota Landcruiser Prado LC150/J150 (only offered with a V6 or 4 Cylinder overseas) with a Toyota Landcruiser LC200/J200 drivetrain (The Japan built 4.6L 1UR-FE in the GX is/was used in the full-size LC200's overseas), with a much nicer Lexus interior similar to the LX570's. It's really a best of all worlds, so long as the interior size works for your needs.

The GX460's size in comparison to the full size LC200/LX570 also makes it better equipped to handle narrow trails.

My 2023 GX460 was the first new vehicle I ever purchased for myself. I plan on driving it till the world ends or I end, whichever comes first.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Is it true the v-6 gets rough sounding over 80 mph, wanting a smooth motor, 80 is highway cruising speed
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JohnfromHR:
Is it true the v-6 gets rough sounding over 80 mph, wanting a smooth motor, 80 is highway cruising speed
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:15:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gordo556] [#33]
not 100%, ive read that the drivetrain was also in the Lexus NX and Highlander....and Toyota has been making the 2.4 for a long time. its just the turbo, how will that hold up long term is the question. the transmission will be questionable as well. but Toyota knows how to build a motor...so honestly, id trust it. in the mid 80's  they used 2.4turbo's on the 4runner

id be more concerned with the 8speed vs the motor.  

wife has a '23 4R. we love it
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:20:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Porkchop_Sandwiches] [#34]
If you actually use the third row seat, don’t expect much.  Small and zero climate control.  It gets quite warm in the back of the 4 runners

I believe your pilot has the 9 speed?   A known turd
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#35]
My 22 4runnner orp felt like a rocket ship compared to my 78 fj40. I had no complaints other than the telemetry. But I sold it a year later because I want something old again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#36]
The limited 4Runner is the best 4Runner and a sweet ride. Check out GXs too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Get a TRD off Road premium
View Quote
Do you even drive on the road bro?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JohnfromHR:
View Quote

Keep it UNDER 70 mph and you’ll get much better mileage. At least that’s what I’ve noticed about mine. There’s a noticeable drop off. I rarely go over 75 mph tbh. She’ll keep up with traffic and she isn’t slow by any stretch of the imagination, but if you’re wanting a sporty SUV to play slot cars on the freeway, you’re looking at the wrong vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By sorionc:
The limited 4Runner is the best 4Runner and a sweet ride. Check out GXs too.
View Quote

The Limited definitely looks more classy and the TRD Pro and Off-road models look brutish. I see more chicks in Limiteds. Great vehicles no matter how you go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By sorionc:
Do you even drive on the road bro?
View Quote

If you want a limited just get a Lexus GX, it’s a much better road car, bro.

Limited 4Runner is just wrong.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:49:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#41]
View Quote

I do know one thing, on my Pedal Commander when you are in Sport + mode and at a +4, the vehicle is very difficult to control.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#42]
The 4.0 1GR-FE is a great engine for reliability from Toyota...which probably makes it high up on the list for reliable engine from any manufacturer. And the transmission is reilable too.

BUT, it is a 20+ year old engine dating back to the 2003 4runner.

MPG won't be great compared to your pilot though. BOF the ride might be a little rougher. It will retain value way better than a Pilot ever will

But if you want the V6 4runner, you should probably run to the dealer now. As some others said, the V6 will probably be desirable with the ? marks on the new 4Runner drivetrains and I suspect there will be a run on those models and I would believe they will be winding down production on them (in Japan) very soon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

I will disagree unless  real-deal serious off-roading is something the OP is looking towards.  Even so, the Limited is ridiculously capable of road, with the tires being the main limiting factor.

The full-time 4WD system of the Limited makes it one of the most sure -footed vehicles you can drive in inclement weather.  If I lived anywhere that got rain and/or snow I would want my wife driving a 4Runner Limited over another trim, full stop.

View All Quotes

The Limited 4WD 4Runner is a mini Land Cruiser.  If I did not have a TRD ORP I would own a Limited.   In fact, I just may look for a Limited 4WD at the end of the year
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#44]

I do know one thing, on my Pedal Commander when you are in Sport + mode and at a +4, the vehicle is very difficult to control.
View All Quotes

That's because it puts 90% of the throttle response into the first fifth of the accelerator travel.  Instead of the opposite the stock programming has.  That's all it does.  It must be a psychological thing.  Literally zero difference from pushing the pedal down harder.  Not calling you out man.   It comes like that from the factory.  Not the best feeling on the road but in the shit offroad it helps.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#45]

The Limited 4WD 4Runner is a mini Land Cruiser.  If I did not have a TRD ORP I would own a Limited.   In fact, I just may look for a Limited 4WD at the end of the year
View Quote

sell me on the limited @77bronc
my daughter is taking our 2017 sr5 to college in the fall im going to buy a 2024 to replace it. My wife wants a limited but ive never owned a awd vehicle other than my daughters 2001 subaru forester.
Was worried about the awd according to toyota it gets the same milage not sure how that is possible ?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Slabhanger:

my daughter is taking our 2017 sr5 to college in the fall im going to buy a 2024 to replace it. My wife wants a limited but ive never owned a awd vehicle other than my daughters 2001 subaru forester.
Was worried about the awd according to toyota it gets the same milage not sure how that is possible ?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Slabhanger:

The limited has a center differential that can be locked if 4L is selected.  The SR5 is either 4wd or 2wd.

I haven't had to engage 4L and the AWD is excellent on ice/snow/rain.

The TRD and others are cool looking, but like most jeeps they never leave the pavement.  Everybody has the played-out "overlander" thing going on.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

This will be a 99.99% grocery getter for the wife.  I think the full time 4wd would suit her better and no having to think about shifting in and out of 4wd.  The Tundra does all the off roading/hunting/etc and so does the little 2001 CRV which has AWD and is a beast off road.  I actually have started using the CRV in most hunting places I used to tow the 4 wheeler with the truck. It's as good as a side by side, quiet, can turn the heat on in the winter and it's gone everywhere I've need it to go.

The front end of the limited with the extra chrome and not such a big black hole in the front looks a bit better than the other trim levels.  Also the wood grain and cabin seems a little more Lexus.  We'll be purchasing from a dealer that provides lifetime powertrain and have been happy with them the past 10 years.  If it wasn't for them the Lexus GX460 (used of course) would be considered.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Hamel:
The 4.0 1GR-FE is a great engine for reliability from Toyota...which probably makes it high up on the list for reliable engine from any manufacturer. And the transmission is reilable too.

BUT, it is a 20+ year old engine dating back to the 2003 4runner.

MPG won't be great compared to your pilot though. BOF the ride might be a little rougher. It will retain value way better than a Pilot ever will

But if you want the V6 4runner, you should probably run to the dealer now. As some others said, the V6 will probably be desirable with the ? marks on the new 4Runner drivetrains and I suspect there will be a run on those models and I would believe they will be winding down production on them (in Japan) very soon.
View Quote

That's exactly the reason I got my 2020 Tundra.  Same 5.7 and trans in the 2020 as the 2007.  Proven powertrain.  I'd trade MPG's all day for reliability.  I think the value retention like you said is better because the Pilot is a little more specific of an audience such as a mom with 2-4 kids or a retired couple, whereas the 4 runner can suit a new driver to an 80 year old and appeals to both men and women.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#49]
I think you're the first person I've encountered that prefers the looks of the Limited. There are are a lot of people out there who buy Limiteds and swap wheels and bumpers from lower trims.

If you're buying new, a pre-ban 4Runner is a pretty strong choice. You should expect the 3rd row to be useless and a waste of space if you go this direction, however.

If you're buying used, you should be looking for a V6 Highlander. They're very reliable, they're a better fit for the job, and I don't think the resale is as strong.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 2sledgehammers:

If you want a limited just get a Lexus GX, it's a much better road car, bro.

Limited 4Runner is just wrong.
View Quote
After owning an sr5, a pair of limited and a pair of 2020+ GXs. I can tell you you're wrong. GX is more better but the limited trim t4r is a great vehicle.  Xreas and full time 4wd keeps it stable and planted on the road. It's unbelievably forgiving for a novice drive in poor conditions. Unless you're dedicated off-road. It's twice the vehicle as the trd or any other trim.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
4 Runner owners (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top