User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GoBigRed:
Most of South Dakota uses smoke signals for emergency calls.
View Quote

Meth smoke?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:
Let me guess, many cities contract out their 911 calls to an overseas call center?
View Quote

Call centers as in 911 dispatchers, none that I am aware of.  

The hardware and software they use to process those calls, well that's a different story.  With that being said outside from a few states most areas don't have same equipment (speaking with east coast knowledge.)

An outage this large is something downstream in the phone service/ provider network and routing not really a local center related issue.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By M1Zeppelin:

Things that local, state, feds don’t spend money on.

911 services
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hobs98:
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:

911 service for several states relies on "a" fiber line?

Oh, that's nice.

Thats exactly what I was thinking

911 services

True statement.  

Equipment and technology aside most 911 centers I are familiar with operate at about 65~75% call volume capacity on an average day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone cut a major fiber line in New River back in 2015.
Internet disrupted throughout Northern Arizona, 911 wouldn't work from Northern Phoenix area to the Utah border.

All people had to do was call the non emergency numbers, and they would get through.
Our MDT's still worked (Verizon air cards), but dispatch networks did not.

Most people who call 911 don't have legit reasons to, so 911 going down is pretty much a non issue, more a blessing.

Jay
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AZCOP:
Someone cut a major fiber line in New River back in 2015.
Internet disrupted throughout Northern Arizona, 911 wouldn't work from Northern Phoenix area to the Utah border.

All people had to do was call the non emergency numbers, and they would get through.
Our MDT's still worked (Verizon air cards), but dispatch networks did not.

Most people who call 911 don't have legit reasons to, so 911 going down is pretty much a non issue, more a blessing.

Jay
View Quote

I called the non-emergency number in the local big city to report a property damage accident.  They never answered it.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:

I want there to be a TV show about a loveable criminal duo, and one of them is a thicc ass corgy even though he smokes meth, which is just confusing as hell. Anyways I'm not sure about the partner is yet, but I'm thinking a sneaky hot trash-scamp that all the dudes watching would want to bang, but KNOW it'd be problems.  Think, hot panhandler type.

I hope the have some scooby doo type adventures, but instead of unmasking poltergeists, they find scrap metal and drugs dealers ditched when they were running from cops.  "Zoiks Tiffany! it's uncut dust!"
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]

911 services
View Quote

They collect $5.00+ a month on every phone bill so where is the money going then? Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mancat:

It's probably still reliant on parts of the old AT&T long lines system which is still in use, and E911 over cellular still depends on the PSTN backbone even in local areas.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mancat:
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:

911 service for several states relies on "a" fiber line?

Oh, that's nice.

It's probably still reliant on parts of the old AT&T long lines system which is still in use, and E911 over cellular still depends on the PSTN backbone even in local areas.

I'm pretty sure it is completely defunct now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Beltfed308:

They collect $5.00+ a month on every phone bill so where is the money going then? Asking for a friend.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beltfed308:

911 services

That is a very good question, but in general, general funds, generally need general funding.  

https://www.timesunion.com/business/article/FCC-starts-case-against-NY-over-diverted-911-fees-15616222.php

https://www.nena.org/page/911RateByState

A friend told me that in NY (using low end figures only as it relates to the 911 cell phone surcharge) the state will give county 911 centers about 10~20% of the total taxes they collect in the form of a "grant".  Said grant has a narrow scope and requires you to buy Equpment from businesses and vendors that are on the state contract system.    I could make your blood boil more by rambling on, but I will stop there.  It has to be very frustrating from a local management point of view.  I don't know how those folks deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Brassrainbows:

Meth smoke?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brassrainbows:
Originally Posted By GoBigRed:
Most of South Dakota uses smoke signals for emergency calls.

Meth smoke?

Didn’t Oregon decriminalize fentanyl, heroin, cocaine and meth?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top