BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

NASA and ORNL have been working on Sterling engine nuclear reactors for space exploration for years now. Last time I looked into it they had prototypes that had proven to be very reliable.

That's the kind of tech that humanity is going to need if we are going to settle other world's. Solar panels ain't going to cut the mustard.

This is almost a year old. Unsurprisingly the Chinese have gotten in on the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chv6_seOaWw
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By JimEb:
A sterling engine to run an electric generator or something?

Its not that easy or efficient to capture heat energy and convert it to a different usable energy form.

Small Sterling cycle engines were common in the US in the 1800's.  Most were broken up in WW 1 scrap drives.

A local threshers group owns one that is set up at their fairground.  Fired with wood.  It's as cool as a steam engine.

NASA and ORNL have been working on Sterling engine nuclear reactors for space exploration for years now. Last time I looked into it they had prototypes that had proven to be very reliable.

That's the kind of tech that humanity is going to need if we are going to settle other world's. Solar panels ain't going to cut the mustard.

This is almost a year old. Unsurprisingly the Chinese have gotten in on the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chv6_seOaWw

Those engines are INSANELY expensive. NASA has been using stirlings for various things for a very long time. They do have engines that have ridiculous life ratings, but they require watchmaker-like manufacturing, assembly and fitting with current designs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Some naval Brayton cycle engines have enough intercooling and reheat that they are a good approximation a Sterling cycle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimEb:
A sterling engine to run an electric generator or something?

Its not that easy or efficient to capture heat energy and convert it to a different usable energy form.
Some naval Brayton cycle engines have enough intercooling and reheat that they are a good approximation a Sterling cycle.

If you can find good ways around having the valve in the hot space (if using a piston) brayton is actually quite a nice cycle to work with.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:

If you can find good ways around having the valve in the hot space (if using a piston) brayton is actually quite a nice cycle to work with.
View Quote

Like a jet engine/gas turbine=Brayton Cycle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 762xIAN:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 762xIAN:

Braytons have been made with turbines as well as with pistons. Turbines are far more common today.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
As others have said, the cost/weight penalty to recover exhaust heat compared to what you would get makes it impractical for automotive applications.

Looking as a similar waste problem, steam locomotives are nearly all open cycle, discharging the expanded steam to the atmosphere rather than condensing it and feeding it back into the boiler.  This might seem incredibly wasteful given that water supply was often one of the biggest headaches associated with operating these locomotives.  As it turns out, some railroads with a lot of desert miles tried condensers and found them to be more trouble than they were worth.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:29:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Mike] [#7]
6-stroke engine adds a water injection and steam expansion cycle between the exhaust and intake stroke.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:38:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#8]

Those engines are INSANELY expensive. NASA has been using stirlings for various things for a very long time. They do have engines that have ridiculous life ratings, but they require watchmaker-like manufacturing, assembly and fitting with current designs.
View Quote

Not surprising to hear they are expensive, I mean this is a nuclear reactor we are talking about.

I expect that whenever we get serious about offworld colonization we will probably use bigger reactors with more conventional cooling loop systems. These little things might provide enough power for a probe or a scientific outpost with no more than a few people. But we are going to need things that can drive large scale industrial processes for life in space to become anything more than a prestige project of large nation states.

As for the 6 stroke engine idea. I have liked the sound of that since I first heard of it. But I would guess there's some issues there that prevent the tech from filtering down to commercial automobiles. I can see how spraying water on a hot piston head could cause trouble.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]

After the 787 batteries caught fire, I ridiculed Seattle for fixing the problem with steel boxes.

Quick, dirty, and cheap.

View All Quotes
Not waste-heat, per se, but now go down the rabbit hole of aircraft MEA concepts: B-787, F-35, etc.

Be certain the batteries are in large steel boxes that contain the fire next time.

Way back about 1990 we installed 90 kVa generators on a flight test F-15 for the power demands of an ESA radar (preceded AESA!) and the supporting equipment stuffed in.  I think the current generators are much larger; I can't find the blueprints quickly to let everyone know.

That was a reasonably fun project.

I'm not terribly familiar with the 787 aspects, but F-35 doesn't employ batteries for these purposes.  

After the 787 batteries caught fire, I ridiculed Seattle for fixing the problem with steel boxes.

Quick, dirty, and cheap.

Aside from perhaps obviating a pneumatic starter on the APU, those batteries don't have anything to do with MEA.  I can't think of a current aircraft that isn't employing a ckpt batt or main batt.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: L_JE] [#11]

Tell us the definition of MEA.  I believe it refers to all electric aircraft.  The 787 is approaching all electric, and the batteries are included in addition to generation.

View All Quotes
Not waste-heat, per se, but now go down the rabbit hole of aircraft MEA concepts: B-787, F-35, etc.

Be certain the batteries are in large steel boxes that contain the fire next time.

Way back about 1990 we installed 90 kVa generators on a flight test F-15 for the power demands of an ESA radar (preceded AESA!) and the supporting equipment stuffed in.  I think the current generators are much larger; I can't find the blueprints quickly to let everyone know.

That was a reasonably fun project.

I'm not terribly familiar with the 787 aspects, but F-35 doesn't employ batteries for these purposes.  

Quick, dirty, and cheap.

Aside from perhaps obviating a pneumatic starter on the APU, those batteries don't have anything to do with MEA.  I can't think of a current aircraft that isn't employing a ckpt batt or main batt.

Tell us the definition of MEA.  I believe it refers to all electric aircraft.  The 787 is approaching all electric, and the batteries are included in addition to generation.

Electrically driven ECS, smaller federated HYD loops, stuff like that - more efficient than conventional engine air bleed, traditional hydraulic loops, etc.  The 787 batteries are nothing like that.

http://www.lb.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/qtr_4_07/article_02_1.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Not surprising to hear they are expensive, I mean this is a nuclear reactor we are talking about.

I expect that whenever we get serious about offworld colonization we will probably use bigger reactors with more conventional cooling loop systems. These little things might provide enough power for a probe or a scientific outpost with no more than a few people. But we are going to need things that can drive large scale industrial processes for life in space to become anything more than a prestige project of large nation states.

As for the 6 stroke engine idea. I have liked the sound of that since I first heard of it. But I would guess there's some issues there that prevent the tech from filtering down to commercial automobiles. I can see how spraying water on a hot piston head could cause trouble.
View All Quotes

Yeah, scaling is difficult for conventional stirlings. They get heavy very quickly. Standard alternator designs are a delicate impedance match to make sure the engine doesn't run away. And from an efficiency standpoint, it's tough to get the heat to go into the working space of the engine instead of anywhere else.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top