Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 41
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:41:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Freakinout:

Lawyers have doctorates in jury, do we call them doctors?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Doesn't mean she's a doctor

Yeah it does.
"Doctor" is an earned academic degree in pretty much any field of study.

If you think the only "doctors" are physicians you need to get out more.

Lawyers have doctorates in jury, do we call them doctors?

You could. You could also call me Master.

Seriously, the "Jill Biden isn't a Dr.!!!" bit is stupid. It has been common usage in this country for over a century to refer to those in education, sciences, religion and the arts by "Doctor" if they hold that degree.

My apologies for the thread derail OP.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Not trying to be a hall monitor, just wondering if this is the correct thread for the Doctor, Doctor arguments?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bajagringo:
Not trying to be a hall monitor, just wondering if this is the correct thread for the Doctor, Doctor arguments?
View Quote

It's not.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]
What a fucking joke.  It's a joke that bull shit like this doesn't just get thrown out
 Clown fucking world.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:50:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaTrueDave] [#6]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

Humble guy, he could have made himself a Doctor like Jill

Jill Biden does hold an earned Doctorate.

LOL.  If only we had dictionaries that told us what words mean!

But let's get back to supporting ADCO and this silly lawsuit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]

You could. You could also call me Master.

Seriously, the "Jill Biden isn't a Dr.!!!" bit is stupid. It has been common usage in this country for over a century to refer to those in education, sciences, religion and the arts by "Doctor" if they hold that degree.

My apologies for the thread derail OP.

View Quote

Professionally, yes.

Personally, not so much.
Especially the Erectile Disfunction Doctorate, which is used only in educational settings.
When the only reason somebody is talking to you is that you married a famous person, a huffy "Call me Doctor" is not an attractive look.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I am still stunned about the whole rexkwondo self degreed delusional motherfucker.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DocBull:
I am still stunned about the whole rexkwondo self degreed delusional motherfucker.
View Quote

PhD in his own brand of kung-fu firearms expertise
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bigbore:

It's not, but I'll take the bump.  This has been going on so long, most have forgotten about it.
View Quote

Pepperidge Farms remembers…
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:05:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#12]
So they are going to settle,?  

Damn

I know, at thise piont they are going to settle for pennies, as the other legal team will take a $1 settlement with a confidential clausw that the value can't be made pubic, rather than a loss - but damnit, I wanted to see a full loss on this one.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:20:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#13]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#14]
good luck. you are good people that don't deserve the BS.
hopefully once you win you can turn the table on them, like chris rock said

that shit ain't right.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#15]
The Court expects the participants to address each other with courtesy and respect.
View Quote

So, your attorney has to figure out how to say "FOAD we ain't paying a dime because your client should profit off of someone who committed a crime" in a courteous and respectful manner.  That's why he gets paid the big bucks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#17]
There is a lot to learn from this whole fiasco but one thing I'm not sure anyone has mentioned yet, but is very important: Don't park right in front of Steve's shop door because it's not a parking spot and it will annoy Steve enough to remember you clearly should he ever be asked about you in a deposition 🤣
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Settlement offer: One (1) twenty-four (24) ounce by net weight bag of dicks, which must be consumed at time of settlement.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ParityError:
Settlement offer: One (1) twenty-four (24) ounce by net weight bag of dicks, which must be consumed at time of settlement.

View Quote

I can get behind this idea
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

MUST be made of ghost peppers and eaten in 1 sitting
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#24]
The settlement meeting with the Judge was changed by the Judge at the last minute into a civil mediation meeting with a magistrate.    Bad guys said they want $500k.  Our response was  that we are not willing to offer 5 cents.  Insurance Adjuster was present and fully supportive of the decision.   Trial is Scheduled for May 21, 10AM.
View Quote

In case I missed it, trial by Judge or are you going jury trial?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Insurance Adjuster was present and fully supportive of the decision.  
View Quote

Been following this for a while and this is the best news I've read.
I hope there is some way to countersue or otherwise recover expenses for you and the insurance company.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

I hope there is some way to countersue or otherwise recover expenses for you and the insurance company.
View Quote

Pretty big endorsement when insurance says "We offer $0 or we go to trial."
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#28]
The settlement meeting with the Judge was changed by the Judge at the last minute into a civil mediation meeting with a magistrate.    Bad guys said they want $500k.  Our response was  that we are not willing to offer 5 cents.  Insurance Adjuster was present and fully supportive of the decision.   Trial is Scheduled for May 21, 10AM.
View Quote

I entreat the relevant God or Gods that you crush your opponents, drive them before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Thank you for being willing to stand up and not just do the easy thing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By stevelish:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

Indeed
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Good news so far.  Hope jury selection goes well
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Never say never.  My sisters insurance company said the same thing until day 2 of the trial.  Then settled for $75,000. Plaintiffs were suing for $750,000.  Auto accident so definitely not the same scenario as here.  Wish ADCO the best of luck and hope the ins company stands strong.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I wish ADCO best of luck in this Trial.   I know they will need it not because of facts but because of bias and political shenanigans.

I only have used them once when I needed a pin and welded flash hider removed.   They did an amazing job and had a fast turnaround.  The reason I was made aware of them was a post where someone was trying to do this themselves and failed horribly at it.   ADCO popped in very early and made the OP aware of their services.  They are very active on the forums.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#35]

I'm sure the corporate insurance lawyers looked at all the depositions, witnesses and evidence and said, "Fuck no, we're not setting.  They have nothing."
View All Quotes

I'm sure the corporate insurance lawyers looked at all the depositions, witnesses and evidence and said, "Fuck no, we're not setting.  They have nothing."

Agreed

They have nothing and for insurance to offer nothing to settle bodes well in my non expert opinion
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

If this was just, they would be offering to pay your legal expenses and your personal and company time and expense.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Long term this decision makes financial sense for the insurer.  It's unfortunate but thousands of people do kill themselves every year and not just by firearm.  If insurers suddenly had to pay wrongful death claims for any merchant who sold the means by which the person took his or her own life, they would go bankrupt quickly - never mind the criminal acts involved in getting to that point.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#38]
@bigbore did you at least offer them the aforementioned bag of dicks at settlement talks?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I'm thinking the insurance industry is waking up to the threat of bogus lawsuits and have made the right decision to try them instead of settling. Offering a settlement will only encourage the bastards. Jury selection is important, they are going to try to disqualify anyone who owns a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#41]

I never saw them.   I was in a room with the claims adjuster.  Plaintiffs were in a different room.   The attorneys and mediator were in another room.  None of what was said today is admissible, so I may well have offered a bag of dicks given the opportunity to sit across from them - which is probably why the put the parties in separate rooms.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By voodochild:
@bigbore did you at least offer them the aforementioned bag of dicks at settlement talks?

I never saw them.   I was in a room with the claims adjuster.  Plaintiffs were in a different room.   The attorneys and mediator were in another room.  None of what was said today is admissible, so I may well have offered a bag of dicks given the opportunity to sit across from them - which is probably why the put the parties in separate rooms.  

Shoulda offered a bag of dicks and them paying all your legal expenses up to this point.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#42]
So sorry that ADCO is going through this. But glad to see they are fighting the good fight.  Hoping that there is video of Rexkwando’s testimony.  That’ll be quite entertaining.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Being ignorant of legal procedures, at what point does the opposing counsel realize the theory of “diminishing returns” and say “nevermind, my bad. Sorry about that”?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Can the lawyers fire their clients?
View Quote

Yes, the attorney can withdraw because the client lies to the attorney, or because the client isn't paying the attorney, or because the attorney has health issues and can no longer effectively represent the client.  I don't see any of those changing between now and May.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Once again, ignorant. Can the opposing attorney just quit when he sees no future money in it?

Are there any repercussions if he does?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:46:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#48]
Originally Posted By Lost-Drive-In:

If this was just, they would be offering to pay your legal expenses and your personal and company time and expense.
View Quote

I would want to sue the brady campaign and the family for pursuing it even after they closed her case.... but yet held strong they had a case.  Normally I would kinda give the family a pass but in this case the Mom closed the daughters estate and then when they realized the fubar went back to the judge and said that is not what we meant even though she signed the forms.  The other factor is based on family history these people were fuck ups over and over again with the cops called all the time.  

I thought there were some things brought up early about the father molesting the daughter that could have created her mental state but I could be thinking of some other case.  I will say at this point it didn't happen until proven otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:52:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#49]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Yes, the attorney can withdraw because the client lies to the attorney, or because the client isn't paying the attorney, or because the attorney has health issues and can no longer effectively represent the client.  I don't see any of those changing between now and May.
View Quote

How does this work in a personal injury case which I assume this is, where the lawyer gets a part of the settlement but not paid in advance.  In the document he linked to the plaintiffs contract it said the lawyers will be constantly monitoring the case and its viability for lack of a better term in the last paragraph on the first page.  It starts out about appeals but I would assume this is for the entire case and not just any appeal or possibility of one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Once again, ignorant. Can the opposing attorney just quit when he sees no future money in it?

View All Quotes

It varies, I suspect, by state.  In Florida:

A lawyer may withdraw from representation in some circumstances. The lawyer has the option to withdraw if it can be accomplished without material adverse effect on the client's interests. The lawyer also may withdraw where the client insists on taking action that the lawyer considers repugnant, imprudent, or with which the lawyer has a fundamental disagreement.

A lawyer may withdraw if the client refuses to abide by the terms of an agreement relating to the representation, such as an agreement concerning fees or court costs or an agreement limiting the objectives of the representation.

Certain causes for terminating representation must be approved by the Court.
Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top