Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2024 8:31:52 PM EDT
I made the switch to a DE razor a few months back. I shave daily, and this is way to go for me.

I use a Merkur 23C, which was a great starter razor. Only cut myself a couple of times in the beginning and have been nick free ever since.

My problem is, the hair on my face grows in every direction. On my cheeks, and on the side of my head, (I shave my head daily as well), I have hair that my razor will not cut due to the hair growing in different directions. I can get it close, but not smooth.

Do I need a more aggressive razor, or a sharper blade?? I'm using Astra Superior Platinum blades. These have worked out really well for most of my face and head. What's my next move??
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:06:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SweetKnuckles] [#1]
Razor and blade choice are up to snuff

Research 3 pass shave

With,
Across,
Against the grain

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SweetKnuckles:
Razor and blade choice are up to snuff

Research 3 pass shave

With,
Across,
Against the grain

View Quote

That's what I do, and it works for my cheeks, but for the side of my head, on my temple, it's no go no matter which way I go, or how many passes I make!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Why go through all the trouble?  I tried different methods, de razor, electric, and the regular ole Gillette 4 or 5 blade razors always end up being the quickest and best shave.

I got so tired of shaving that I grew a beard to minimize it. Hate shaving, can’t imagine going out of my way to make it more difficult or trying to be perfect about it.

I may be missing something, though. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
Why go through all the trouble?  I tried different methods, de razor, electric, and the regular ole Gillette 4 or 5 blade razors always end up being the quickest and best shave.

I got so tired of shaving that I grew a beard to minimize it. Hate shaving, can’t imagine going out of my way to make it more difficult or trying to be perfect about it.

I may be missing something, though. 🤷🏻‍♂️
View Quote

I have OCD, that's why!! I don't want to grow a beard, since it comes in 100% grey now!! Besides, I'm not going back to normal razors, I really like the shave I get with a DE razor. It's just a matter of personal preference for me!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I’d definitely try some other blades, feathers are known o
Be the sharpest so maybe worth a try if you haven’t.

A more aggressive razor would be the next step, maybe an open comb or a slant bar. I use a Parker semi slant, it’s a nice razor for the price not overly aggressive
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
I’d definitely try some other blades, feathers are known o
Be the sharpest so maybe worth a try if you haven’t.

A more aggressive razor would be the next step, maybe an open comb or a slant bar. I use a Parker semi slant, it’s a nice razor for the price not overly aggressive
View Quote

I'll try some Feathers and see if they work any better. Their reputation scares me a little bit, to be honest.

If those don't work, I'll have an excuse to buy a new razor!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Shave as normal, then use a multi blade razor for the stuff the DE doesn't get.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a more aggressive razor and shave in different directions.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By banana-clip:
Get a more aggressive razor and shave in different directions.
View Quote

That's about what I decided. Unfortunately, I over-analyze every decision I make, so it'll take me weeks to pick a new razor!! I already downloaded a bunch of pdf files that tell me the blade gap on every razor!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been wet shaving/using a DE razor for over 10 years now

I've tried lots of different blades but like the green Astra the best
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#11]
You could try a vintage Gillette adjustable so you can play around with aggressiveness. And everyone knows that Nacet are the best blades. . .
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MaxC1776:
I've been wet shaving/using a DE razor for over 10 years now

I've tried lots of different blades but like the green Astra the best
View Quote

Those are the ones I use. I also really like the Shark Platinum blades.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
You could try a vintage Gillette adjustable so you can play around with aggressiveness. And everyone knows that Nacet are the best blades. . .
View Quote

I've been eyeballing a Merkur adjustable, I really like their razors.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By kevhogAZ:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Having had the Progress, I like the Fatboy better. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I can't spend that kind of money on a razor. Maybe you can get me one for Christmas??
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#16]

I can't spend that kind of money on a razor. Maybe you can get me one for Christmas??
View All Quotes

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/

Plenty of user-grade adjustables come up for sale at reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Down the rabbit hole he goes!
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By kaufdrop:
View Quote

It'll be a good Sunday afternoon journey!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kaufdrop:

If you want an as-new refurb, Razor Emporium sells complete refreshed and replated models. Not exactly cheap, but not exactly expensive compared with Above the Tie, Blackland, etc., or compared with how much you'd spend on carts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want an as-new refurb, Razor Emporium sells complete refreshed and replated models. Not exactly cheap, but not exactly expensive compared with Above the Tie, Blackland, etc., or compared with how much you'd spend on carts.
View Quote

They're local to me, I might have to go down there one of these Saturdays and see what they've got!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]

I'll try some Feathers and see if they work any better. Their reputation scares me a little bit, to be honest.

If those don't work, I'll have an excuse to buy a new razor!!
View Quote

I had a Merkur, had an issue with the plating on it. They basically called me a liar and said I dropped it. Replaced with a Parker, plus I have a few vintage Gillettes, blue and silver tip. One thing I like about the Parker is you can just get a different head if you like your handle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bigfugly:

I had a Merkur, had an issue with the plating on it. They basically called me a liar and said I dropped it. Replaced with a Parker, plus I have a few vintage Gillettes, blue and silver tip. One thing I like about the Parker is you can just get a different head if you like your handle.
View Quote

I'll look into those. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#24]
For head shavers whose hair grows in all different directions, I recommend the Merica razor by Yates with a moderately sharp blade like the Astra, Iridium, voskhod, etc.  The razor sets the angle for you like the Hanson (good because you’re shaving a round object at lots of different angles) but is slightly more aggressive.  This combo will mow through most growth, but is not too aggressive, which can be problematic if you have to do multiple passes in different directions due to your hair growing in multiple directions on the same parts of your face/head.  I have used a lot of razors from very cheap to very expensive and from very mild to very aggressive over the past 4 years, and have stopped using any of them besides the Merica. I’m sure the regular Yates are good too, but the handles don’t look like they’d be as ergonomic as the Merica.

You can also go single edge like the leaf twig/thorn, Parker single edge, and Blackland Vector.  Just be aware that the first two use snapped in half DE blades and the last uses artists club style blades.  The AC blades are hypothetically more durable, but they’re more expensive and head shaving wears out blades a lot faster than normal face shaving, so I’m not sure it’s a great value proposition.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a unique method. I started using a straight razor. I make my first with the grain using SR then go against the grain using DE. As I perfect my SR technique I will probably move to that alone. Another good tip is to massage and wash your face prior to shaving.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#26]
3 pass method, but it took me months to really sort out which direction the hair grew different areas. My neck is basically swirlies so no matter which way I'm going it is againstthe grain a little, so I just go slowly and take my time.

The other huge difference maker is prep & shaving cream. What are you using?

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By aks74man:
I have a unique method. I started using a straight razor. I make my first with the grain using SR then go against the grain using DE. As I perfect my SR technique I will probably move to that alone. Another good tip is to massage and wash your face prior to shaving.
View Quote
You shave your face and head with a straight razor?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WinstonSmith] [#28]

That's about what I decided. Unfortunately, I over-analyze every decision I make, so it'll take me weeks to pick a new razor!! I already downloaded a bunch of pdf files that tell me the blade gap on every razor!!
View Quote

I still say the pinnacle of razor technology was the 1930's Gillette "New" open tooth.  There is a short tooth and a long tooth version, the short tooth is a little more aggressive.

ETA- one thing to keep in mind is the "dome" of the razor, how rounded it is at the top.  The Gillette Fatboy and the older Superspeeds were very tall but the later 60's-on models lowered it quite a bit.  The three piece "New" has an even lower dome still.  I think it helps getting a good angle in weird spots.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:

I still say the pinnacle of razor technology was the 1930's Gillette "New" open tooth.  There is a short tooth and a long tooth version, the short tooth is a little more aggressive.

ETA- one thing to keep in mind is the "dome" of the razor, how rounded it is at the top.  The Gillette Fatboy and the older Superspeeds were very tall but the later 60's-on models lowered it quite a bit.  The three piece "New" has an even lower dome still.  I think it helps getting a good angle in weird spots.
View Quote

I will say that I get a better shave with my 1960's vintage Gillette than I did with my 1938 vintage Gillette.

OP, I've been shaving with a DE razor for about 5 years now.  What I do is to make two passes, the first with the grain, and the second against the grain.  99% of the time, I get a baby smooth face afterward.  I also get the best shave with shaving soap, not creme or gel.

Shaving with a DE razor is a lot of experimentation.  Try different blades, different shaving soaps, and even different razors to see what works best for you.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By dreiwhit:

I will say that I get a better shave with my 1960's vintage Gillette than I did with my 1938 vintage Gillette.

View Quote

Which models?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top