Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/16/2024 11:27:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701]
First and foremost, renting sucks.  I suggest you don't do it...makes me understand what Gen Z is experiencing.

Interesting situation I'm in.

With sky high rent, I'm looking to move.  Single, full time dad, currently in a 2 bedroom apartment that has doubled in price over the last 5 years.

My employer and also a good friend of mine has pointed me in the direction of renting a "bungalow" IE, a tiny ass house from one of his "good friends/client"

Sounds good, cuts my rent by 30%.

I go to look at the "property" today and I'm absolutely not impressed.  The tiny house is fine, but everything around it is what you'd expect to find in a modern left leaning city. The Walgreens around the corner is littered with bums and drug addicts, homeless walking around, etc, etc (Was a decent part of town 20 year ago)

In my current place, I can let my kid roam free with the neighborhood kids.  The "new" place is literally packed with landscaping trucks for an entire city block.

It's located in an sketchy part of town with pockets of high end homes, and essentially slums.

This "Property" is essentially in a slum.  It's literally in what was once the backyard of a single wide trailer, on a street lined with trailer homes.  This guy owns both properties adjacent left to the right of the tiny house I was thinking about renting.

His main complaint is he can't find good renters that keep the property clean.  Shocked he's catching carp... with carp bait....

I'm about to piss off my boss and his buddy.  Thanks but no thanks.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, screw living in a crap part of town for 30% discount.  The kids safety is more important than a few bucks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Now you know why it's 30% less than your current rent.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
On a pile of money like everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]
"Slum lords" don't sleep as easy as the high class renters, like yourself, who usually think they know more than the landlord.

Even though the tenant is more knowledgeable, they're still renting. And the landlord is a scumbag.

And nothing and no one is stopping your from being a landlord and showing everyone how it is done.

Yeup..
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
So people who can only afford a certain amount of rent should have to live on the street because you think landlords should only offer property for rent in areas which meet with your approval?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#6]
pull harder on your bootstraps and stop buying a new iphone every week so you can get into dat $750k stahtah home at 8.7% and nothing down?

@eagarminuteman
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:07:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VaniB] [#7]
As is usual around here, thanks for all the description of where you live, but never actually telling us where you live. So obvious when you guys are too embarrassed and feel you must hide it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:09:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VaniB:
As is usual around here, thanks for all the description of where you live, but never actually telling us where you live. So obvious when you guys are too embarrassed and feel you must hide it.
View Quote

I assume anyone who hides their location is a fed trying to honeypot and rile people up
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:10:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Location, Location, Location.    Your current landlord Knows what he has.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:12:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#10]
Originally Posted By cash50:
"Slum lords" don't sleep as easy as the high class renters, like yourself, who usually think they know more than the landlord.

Even though the tenant is more knowledgeable, they're still renting. And the landlord is a scumbag.

And nothing and no one is stopping your from being a landlord and showing everyone how it is done.

Yeup..
View Quote

Sorry.  I couldn't take advantage of destitute individuals because they weren't "as smart as me."

What makes this even more hilarious is this guy was like "I need a mechanic for my 20 vehicles"  "I'd really love it if you could come to my shop and fix my heavy equipment because I don't like paying these other guys(who don't speak English and keep fucking up my shit)

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:22:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:

I assume anyone who hides their location is a fed trying to honeypot and rile people up
View Quote

That very thought had occurred to me.  Join date post count membership status....

Is it forbidden for a fed plant to be a paying member?  Will they not reimburse as a business expense?  Cheap bassturds.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

Sorry.  I couldn't take advantage of destitute individuals because they weren't "as smart as me."

View Quote

Did you try an OnlyFans?  Have you considered that $20 is $20?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Usually you have to go waaaaaaaaay down in safety to go a bit down in rent.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:24:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#14]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

Did you try an OnlyFans?  Have you considered that $20 is $20?
View Quote

I have a price, PM me.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:25:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#15]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
pull harder on your bootstraps and stop buying a new iphone every week so you can get into dat $750k stahtah home at 8.7% and nothing down?

@eagarminuteman
View Quote

Everyone doesn't need an 800 sq ft row house in Bonner, that's what dreams are made of

Will 750 get something without wheels in Clinton these days?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m a strange dude I guess. I rent the home I live in.

The home I own, I rent out. But it’s also 3700 ft on an acre.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Should be some fucking humdingers getting posted up in this one.....

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Without knowing anything more I kinda feel for the property owner.

Seeing as how the US has been sliding/falling down even faster over the past 5 to 10 years I expect that he bought the house when it was an OK place to live. Now social decay has overtaken the neighborhood - so he's kinda locked in. He probably can't sell without a heavy loss and is hoping to cover the loan long enough to break even with the maintenance & repair costs that always eat away at any income he might see.

I get that the OP is not interested in raising his kid there. I wouldn't do that to my kids either. But I don't see this being anybody's fault.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#20]

I have a price, PM me.

View Quote

Not interested, but your slumlord might be.  Tell him you'll take $20, see what he says.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Here, I'll give you a solution to your problem: go find a quad plex for sale in a location you want to live, buy it, rent out three units, and live in one.  There, you have a place to live for free.

But you won't, because that's too much work and risk.  Bitching on the Internet about landlords is a lot easier.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Many Rental Property owners will do anything for a Buck...
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By matthew:
Here, I'll give you a solution to your problem: go find a quad plex for sale in a location you want to live, buy it, rent out three units, and live in one.  There, you have a place to live for free.

But you won't, because that's too much work and risk.  Bitching on the Internet about landlords is a lot easier.
View Quote

Apparently, you didn't read the part in the Constitution that guarantees a right to live in a safe place where you want to raise kids you can't afford should not cost more than you want to pay.  It's right in there.  Read it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Primecube:
Many Rental Property owners will do anything for a Buck...
View Quote

Yup.  Like rent a valuable commodity to a complete stranger for market price, and put up with whining and vandalism and the risk of the local govt. not allowing you to evict deadbeat renters, like they did during covid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:50:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#25]

View Quote

Cliché boomer reply Mr 2001 join date.

My grandparents that immigrated from Italy in the 50's, literally washed dishes and laid boat hulls for SeaRay, died millionaires; essentially working the trenches, and bravo to them.

Different time.  Single generation household.  

If I could wash dishes and support a household I wouldn't be bitching lol

This is the boomer vs gen Z conflict; IE boot straps.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:54:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a single rental 2br 1ba on 1 acre. It’s in the best school district in our parish/county. Nice finishes as my family lived in it before I converted it to a rental. All issues are addressed rather quickly and everything is documented. I wouldn’t consider myself a slum lord, but I’m also not charging the lowest rent in town either.

Sorry about your housing situation op but from the other perspective, houses are an expensive asset to loan out to someone in the hopes they will pay and not cause more damage than your profit can cover. I will not rent to just anyone and consider many factors, which has allowed me to avoid many issues landlords have. I know one day I will get bit though, so I don’t mess with rental rates when I have a good tenant occupying the house.

I lease out a $180k house and earn about $3,000 profit which is taxed at about 30%. So I clear about $2500 annually. The real gain is getting the mortgage paid off which I will use to put my kids through college which is about the same time the house is paid off. It’s not all Champaign and caviar on my side.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Cliché boomer reply Mr 2001 join date.

My grandparents that immigrated from Italy in the 50's, literally washed dishes and laid boat hulls for SeaRay, died millionaires; essentially working the trenches, and bravo to them.

View Quote

You have children you can't raise in the manner and neighborhood you would prefer to raise them.  I see a problem here, and it's not the landlord.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Not a slumlord.  I am a part owner in a vacation rental.  Clients are wealthy assholes - who pay more per week than you are probably talking about for 2 months.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#29]
First and foremost, renting sucks.  I suggest you don't do it...makes me understand what Gen Z is experiencing.

With sky high rent, I'm looking to move.  Single, full time dad, currently in a 2 bedroom apartment that has doubled in price over the last 5 years.

My employer and also a good friend of mine has pointed me in the direction of renting a "bungalow" IE, a tiny ass house from one of his "good friends/client"

I go to look at the "property" today and I'm absolutely not impressed.  The tiny house is fine, but everything around it is what you'd expect to find in a modern left leaning city. The Walgreens around the corner is littered with bums and drug addicts, homeless walking around, etc, etc (Was a decent part of town 20 year ago)

In my current place, I can let my kid roam free with the neighborhood kids.  The "new" place is literally packed with landscaping trucks for an entire city block.

It's located in an sketchy part of town with pockets of high end homes, and essentially slums.

This "Property" is essentially in a slum.  It's literally in what was once the backyard of a single wide trailer, on a street lined with trailer homes.  This guy owns both properties adjacent left to the right of the tiny house I was thinking about renting.

His main complaint is he can't find good renters that keep the property clean.  Shocked he's catching carp... with carp bait....

View Quote

How? In a big house, in a big, with beautiful women with huge boobs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

How? In a big house, in a big, with beautiful women with huge boobs.
View Quote

This is not my beautiful house.  This is not my beautiful wife.

How did I get here?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I sleep just fine. If you can't afford to rent my properties, you can't afford to rent my properties. My goal is the future well-being of my children, grand-children, and great-grandchildren. Your needs aren't on my list.

Sorry to be blunt but welcome to capitalism.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Sounds like you were looking to move to scranton pa.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:08:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#33]
Call me whatever the fuck you want : slum lord, capitalist pig etc... You have no idea what you're talking OP. Me and my family worked our ass off building up what we had for over 30 years to have our fat ass liberal dumbfuck governor take my property away from me not able to "legally" boot out my POS tenants who decided covid gave them a free ticket away from rent. It took me two years and only god know how much money to an attorney to finally have them evicted. So guess what we got out of that shit business, but my friends who stayed in it who had similar problems, guess what rents triple and 3 months down and 2x the security deposit. Say whatever you want OP this is called entitlement, that's all I see in your post. Nothing but " oh poor me rent is so high I can't live in a nice neighborhood anymore and I deserve it"
The fuck you do, you only deserve what you can afford and what you can earn in a day. Fuck your entitlement, your just pissed off someone is able to own more than one house. Guess what: I drive a.used car, nothing special, I saved my money like strict ass budget for years. When I got my rental properties I was working two jobs: one regular job then every hour I was hanging drywall, fixing the plumbing, electricity, hanging new lights, new cabinets laying tile etc... Yes it was nothing for me to work basically 7 days a week till 2am then got to work at 05:30. But guess what no one handed me shit, I made the money I earned with my labor and a broken body to show for it, and I wouldn't change a fucking thing I did because now I ain't dependant on anyone!! And by the way I also sense in you a attitude of: I only get out of bed and work for $40 a.hour etc....... [Deleted]. Work for what you can make not what you think your.worth. I've seen dumdass like that go bankrupt just minutes after a recession starts. Go find another rental further out and drive more. Sorry life hasn't handed you what you think you deserve yet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:08:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

Yup.  Like rent a valuable commodity to a complete stranger for market price, and put up with whining and vandalism and the risk of the local govt. not allowing you to evict deadbeat renters, like they did during covid.
View Quote

I would never be a landlord because of those exact reasons.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:20:15 AM EDT
[#35]

What makes this even more hilarious is this guy was like "I need a mechanic for my 20 vehicles"  "I'd really love it if you could come to my shop and fix my heavy equipment because I don't like paying these other guys(who don't speak English and keep fucking up my shit)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cash50:

Yeup..

How is he taking advantage of them  ? Poor people need to rent too. And he has expenses and property investment in those lower end places.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#36]
By the way: I sleep terrible at night but nothing to do with my once being a landlord: i.sleep like shit because of several slipped discs in my back and rotator cuff surgery. But tomorrow I get to do whatever the hell I want because I earned it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:26:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Renters.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:28:35 AM EDT
[#38]
The guy is a "slum lord" because he's renting a decent house but the neighborhood is rough. You're unhappy that he offered you job. Buying a multifamily dwelling and renting a few units out is unacceptable because your grandparents were immigrants who worked hard.

I guess that about covers it.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:36:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:

@eagarminuteman
View Quote

I would have walked down main street naked at noon to get 8.7% and nothing down when I bought my first home.  At that time it was 12%+.  Wife and I both worked and saved for 5 years to buy it, 3 bed 1 bath, unfinished basement.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:55:28 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Did you do that?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:35:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By firemed13:
Call me whatever the fuck you want : slum lord, capitalist pig etc... You have no idea what you're talking OP. Me and my family worked our ass off building up what we had for over 30 years to have our fat ass liberal dumbfuck governor take my property away from me not able to "legally" boot out my POS tenants who decided covid gave them a free ticket away from rent. It took me two years and only god know how much money to an attorney to finally have them evicted. So guess what we got out of that shit business, but my friends who stayed in it who had similar problems, guess what rents triple and 3 months down and 2x the security deposit. Say whatever you want OP this is called entitlement, that's all I see in your post. Nothing but " oh poor me rent is so high I can't live in a nice neighborhood anymore and I deserve it"
The fuck you do, you only deserve what you can afford and what you can earn in a day. Fuck your entitlement, your just pissed off someone is able to own more than one house. Guess what: I drive a.used car, nothing special, I saved my money like strict ass budget for years. When I got my rental properties I was working two jobs: one regular job then every hour I was hanging drywall, fixing the plumbing, electricity, hanging new lights, new cabinets laying tile etc... Yes it was nothing for me to work basically 7 days a week till 2am then got to work at 05:30. But guess what no one handed me shit, I made the money I earned with my labor and a broken body to show for it, and I wouldn't change a fucking thing I did because now I ain't dependant on anyone!! And by the way I also sense in you a attitude of: I only get out of bed and work for $40 a.hour etc....... Go fuck yourself seriously check your dumdass that is called one thing: lazy. Work for what you can make not what you think your.worth. I've seen dumdass like that go bankrupt just minutes after a recession starts. Go find another rental further out and drive more. Sorry life hasn't handed you what you think you deserve yet.
View Quote

Does your mom drive a truck?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:36:55 AM EDT
[#42]
My landlord is pretty kickass and responsive. Not all landlords are pigs op.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:07:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: twistedcomrade] [#43]

Clich  boomer reply Mr 2001 join date.

This is the boomer vs gen Z conflict; IE boot straps.

View Quote
Bless your little heart.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:26:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Slums, bums, landscaper trucks parked everywhere, with pockets of nice homes.  Sure sounds like Los Angeles.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:30:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:

View Quote

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:37:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Actually renting might is ideal for someone like me.
I was a homeowner for over 50 years and the cost of maintaining a home is outrageous in both money spent and time used.
For examples:
If you mow your lawn then you need a place to store your mower like a mini barn.
Then you need gas cans, oil cans, tools for maintenance, etc.
Then there are the tools needed for home maintenance, some not so small like extension ladders, and the storage of them.
The more shit that you own the more shit that you need to care for what you own.
It is an ever-increasing dilemma.
It is easier for me to wire money monthly to my condo landlord then deal with all the headaches.
Plus renting gives me the flexibility to just pack up and move to a different location on a whim.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:43:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#47]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:45:32 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a three bedroom full basement house on 5 acres in the country I'm renting to a very nice family with two kids. He is a policeman, wife works in a bank. I spent $20k remodeling it and since they moved in have paid for a dishwasher and new hot water heater. The property has a black walnut grove and blueberry farm. I take care of the grounds and grass cutting. This is 15 miles from Huntsville Al which is rated as a top place in the US to live. The rent amount is $800 a month. I sleep fine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:56:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:

I would be happy to go half.on that ticket with you good sir and wish your mom good health and happiness. I miss mine everyday she passed away two weeks ago from sudden cardiac arrest at 78. Your a good dude I hope you and your family nothing but the best, only a few of us left who understand hard work pays off and family is everything.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Too bad landlords don't have more freedom to set variable rates and discriminate.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top