Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/13/2023 1:41:19 PM EDT
I just got off the phone with my distraught wife.  Sounds like she rolled through a stop sign (her fault), when there was a city cop right behind her.  She got pulled over, and asked for her paperwork. She informed the officer that she has a pistol in her glove-box where the paper work was.  

She said the office demanded that he be able to remove the pistol from the glove box before she was able to get in and get her paperwork. She said ok (not sure why), and he went around to the other side of the car, reached in the open window, opened the glove-box, and took the pistol.

After she got him the paperwork, and he came back to the car....she said he handed her the pistol in pieces. Mag with rounds removed, and slide off of the frame........who does that?  

I'm pretty pro-LEO, but it sounds like the way overstepped his bounds.  

My wife's biggest complaint "I have no idea how to put this thing back together...you are going to halve to help me".....

How often to cops dissemble guns before giving them back??
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Fucker thinks hes steven segal or something
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never seen them do it.......most of the time they remove the magazine and the round in the chamber and hand it back. Or at least that was my experience

I'd probably be pissed off
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be filing a complaint.  That is complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I been working 25 years never done that ever. If you aren’t a criminal in possession I could care less. Since we conceal carry in Illinois is always turns into gun talk with someone.  To each their own it’s just not me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
SOP are different for departments.  This could be answered in probably 20,000 different ways.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Strange to give back the gun field stripped.

Strange to keep her insurance and registration under a gun.

Strange to not know how to assemble her “carry” gun.

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL, never had one disassembled. Have had a few completely unloaded by the Ohio Highway Patrol, nothing like getting 16 loose rounds of 9mm poured into your hands along with your DL and insurance card.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Safety science would dictate finger fucking an unfamiliar gun as little as possible.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
BP did this to a buddy of mine yrs ago.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Closest I've come to that is when Seattle PD disarmed me, as I was a witness to attempted auto theft as well as some vandalism.

LEO pulled my holster, pistol inside, from my side and decided to fiddle with it to get the round from the chamber.

Pistol was given back in one piece but I doubt they'd have figured out how to disassemble the HK P7, as they had a hard enough time figuring out it was a heel mag release.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Was it a Ruger Mark III?  Maybe he couldn’t figure out how to put it back together.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Safety science would dictate finger fucking an unfamiliar gun as little as possible.
View Quote

Unless you're Super Cop, trying to show your absolute mastery of all things guns. I wonder what would have happened if he had an AD while doing it? Dumbass
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

File it skippy.

Plenty of modern agencies train that nowadays.

I’ve never handed a loaded, ready to fire weapon back to a stranger I met on a law enforcement encounter.  That’s asking for your name on the LODD memorial.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a S&W Shield.....why do to the trouble to pip the pin out in order to get the slide off. Actually, if he did that....I bet the barrel and guide rod and spring were out of the frame also.

I'll have to post a picture of the pieces when I see them....
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#17]
But did he do it Jackie Chan style with one hand?
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I've watched a metric fuck ton of youtube videos involving citizens with guns and it's usually the cops whom also display vapid insecurities that will do that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#19]
In actuality OP, You fail for not teaching your wife how to field strip that firearm.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

File it skippy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

File it skippy.

I wonder what the point of that is?  I can understand pulling the mag, and a round out of the chamber....but pulling the slide off, and then having the barrel, guide rod, and spring potentially fall out of the frame? Seems like a jerk move.   Nothing like like getting handed back your license, insurance paperwork, registration paper, mag, several 9mm rounds, a frame, and a slide.....

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Dick move and the cop must be afraid of inanimate objects.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In actuality OP, You fail for not teaching your wife how to field strip that firearm.
View Quote

Well, she's going to learn tonight I guess
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Strange to give back the gun field stripped.
Strange to keep her insurance and registration under a gun.
Strange to not know how to assemble her “carry” gun.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#24]
The coward cops that don't think you deserve to have a gun because you aren't a professional like they are will do that shit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just got off the phone with my distraught wife.  Sounds like she rolled through a stop sign (her fault), when there was a city cop right behind her.  She got pulled over, and asked for her paperwork. She informed the officer that she has a pistol in her glove-box where the paper work was.  

She said the office demanded that he be able to remove the pistol from the glove box before she was able to get in and get her paperwork. She said ok (not sure why), and he went around to the other side of the car, reached in the open window, opened the glove-box, and took the pistol.

After she got him the paperwork, and he came back to the car....she said he handed her the pistol in pieces. Mag with rounds removed, and slide off of the frame........who does that?  

I'm pretty pro-LEO, but it sounds like the way overstepped his bounds.  

My wife's biggest complaint "I have no idea how to put this thing back together...you are going to halve to help me".....

How often to cops dissemble guns before giving them back??
View Quote

Stupid on every level.

Former employee of a sheriffs department and supporter of Leo’s (boot licker) whatever.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Clearly OP has never seen Sicario
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted: LOL, never had one disassembled. Have had a few completely unloaded by the Ohio Highway Patrol, nothing like getting 16 loose rounds of 9mm poured into your hands along with your DL and insurance card.
View Quote
You should have just inserted your spare magazine , chambered a round and put the pistol away .
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#28]
wow, feel so much safer now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I got stopped on a fishing expedition (cops fishing for crimes, not me on the way to the lake) and they fully disassembled my Makarov, unloaded the mag, and left the scattered ammo and pistol parts in my truck bed. They told me I could collect it all after they drove away. I was very upset.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#30]
That's crossing the line.

No more support.

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Stupid on every level.

Former employee of a sheriffs department and supporter of Leo’s (boot licker) whatever.
View Quote

I’ll also add, I offer my ID and handgun everytime I interact with cops and only had one take me up on the offer. He needed it for a report apparently.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I think I heard somebody here complain of it before, but beyond that, I don't know. Certainly never seen it done.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#33]
What demographic (both), and which municipality... probably makes a difference even though it shouldn't.

Pretty sure MO wouldn't see a rolled stop sign as cause to disarm a motorist.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

File it skippy.

I’ve never handed a loaded, ready to fire weapon back to a stranger I met on a law enforcement encounter.  That’s asking for your name on the LODD memorial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

File it skippy.

Your attitude is fucking stupid.  

As is training to do that.  It's disrespectful and you left a previously peacefully armed woman on the side of the road, now defenseless, thanks to your elitist "she might shoot me!" bullshit.

Fuck off with that shit.  I have friends who are cops, trained with one at the last two firearm classes I attended, and I'm here to tell you that it's this kind of shit that is making us enemies instead of friends and supporters.  Enjoy your pariah status.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

His is a secondary failure.  The cop disassembling a lawfully carried firearm and leaving a citizen defenseless was the primary failure here.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What demographic (both), and which municipality... probably makes a difference even though it shouldn't.

View Quote

Early 40's white female in business suite and nice car with no criminal record....pulled over by middle aged white officer.  

She definitely doesn't look like someone that would be a threat to any LEO.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
File it skippy.

View Quote

You'd likely need to explain your cause for having the firearm in the first place.

Oh wait... "officer safety".
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Unless you're Super Cop, trying to show your absolute mastery of all things guns. I wonder what would have happened if he had an AD while doing it? Dumbass
View Quote

We all know what would have happened. He'd have said she did it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Indianapolis PD for sure does it or at least some of them do. I had one take my Glock 19 apart and give it back to me in a zip lock bag…I had it back together and a round in the chamber before he even pulled off. I think he assumed that I probably didn’t know how to break a Glock down  but he was wrong as 2 left feet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There are agencies that "train" officers to disassemble lawfully carried firearm?

As in the official training program. Not something some lone FTO or other person did on their own.

I'd like to see the policy and training materials to go along with that.
View Quote

Would seem a dangerous policy, doesn't a glock require the trigger to be pulled for disassembly? God help them in they get a sig p320 self firing gun...
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Early 40's white female in business suite and nice car with no criminal record....pulled over by middle aged white officer.  

View Quote

So it was likely a power trip... stl area I'd put my money on Creve Coeur.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To some cops, any non-cop is a threat if they don't treat us like one.  

That is the cultural problem in LE, and it's mainly driven by the Union.  Which is also a subset of the fucking commies, so it makes sense they would promote "papers please" and disarmament.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Contact the PD and demand to see a copy of his "Certified Armorer Certificate for Brand (whatever your wife has) pistols".

Otherwise he has ZERO business "dissembling" anyone's firearms.

On a routine traffic stop - is the officer also supposed to open the trunk - dig around to take out her jack and raise her vehicle and remove the rear tire to keep her from "harming" him?
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

As is training to do that.  It's disrespectful and you left a previously peacefully armed woman on the side of the road, now defenseless, thanks to your elitist "she might shoot me!" bullshit.

Fuck off with that shit.  I have friends who are cops, trained with one at the last two firearm classes I attended, and I'm here to tell you that it's this kind of shit that is making us enemies instead of friends and supporters.  Enjoy your pariah status.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

File it skippy.

100% this. Very shit attitude.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#46]
No, contact a supervisor.  

If this was one on my cats, he and his sgt. would be articulating in writing on Monday as to his intentions and the furtherance of justice of his actions.

18Z50
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Could get you in serious trouble doing that here. If you disassemble a gun during an arrest or investigation, at least in NY they will argue that you could have changed the operability status of that weapon.
No idea why the officer thought it made sense to do that
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#48]

There isn't even a need to see paper work beyond an ID.

Registration/insurance can be pulled from the plates and ID is just to verify who you are.

Not sure how I would handle it... as I'm pretty non-confrontational....  I'd certainly feel uncomfortable with someone taking my firearm
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Kinda makes sense from the cops perspective aint gonna hand someone their gun back and get shot by it. Bet he sped right off after he gave it back.

Sounds like some bullshit though.

Why does your wife not know how to field strip and reassemble her own carry piece?

Not that I have any place to talk, I'd be lucky if my wife remembers where a gun is or how to shoot it...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top