Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2024 5:12:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975]
AT&T data breach exposes 73 million current, former accounts on dark web, company says

AT&T confirmed on Saturday that a total of 73 million current and former customer accounts were leaked to the dark web around two weeks ago.

The company said it is assessing the breach and whether the data, which includes Social Security numbers, came from AT&T itself or one of its vendors.

The data appears to be from 2019 or earlier, cybersecurity experts hired by AT&T to do a "robust investigation" found, affecting 7.6 million current account holders, and approximately 65.4 million former account holders.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
That means there's a duplication of records that they currently have from gun forums.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad I dumped their stock yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Not surprising, from that shit show of a company.  I used to have both DSL and cell phone with them, and had the most unreliable service and worst customer service imaginable.  That company will never see another dime from me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
AT&T doesn't ask for your SSN, at least it didn't when I got my phones.

They have my old FL driver license number though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
surprise surprise.gif
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Have John call me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:23:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#7]
Never gave ATT my SSN.

I look forward to my $1.38 from the class action suit.
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:

View Quote

They do, but you can choose not to supply it. Just got ATT fiber and cell a month ago. I hate ATT the company, but Cox internet was slower and more expensive, VZ has gone to shit in my area and I save with a bundle, so. fwiw, ATT give a $10 discount on cell if you have AARP (they don't care your age.)

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me guess the class action attorneys will make millions and I will get one year free of credit monitoring.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 1975:
AT&T data breach exposes 73 million current, former accounts on dark web, company says

AT&T confirmed on Saturday that a total of 73 million current and former customer accounts were leaked to the dark web around two weeks ago.

The company said it is assessing the breach and whether the data, which includes Social Security numbers, came from AT&T itself or one of its vendors.

The data appears to be from 2019 or earlier, cybersecurity experts hired by AT&T to do a "robust investigation" found, affecting 7.6 million current account holders, and approximately 65.4 million former account holders.
View Quote

I don’t recall ever being asked to provide an SSN to AT&T or any other carrier….. how are they getting them?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Another advantage of prepaid/(burnerphone) service.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Excel has a limit of 1,048,576 rows per sheet. That's a lot of sheets.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Was it really from 2 weeks ago or is this the real reason their network went down awhile back and they are just now figuring out what was breached?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Ever been to the third world? Like really poor countries like India, Pakistan, Indonesia, or The Philippines?

Those places have government IDs that are functional while ours are rooted firmly in the last centuries earliest practices.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Why would AT&T have my social security number?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wyorock:
Let me guess the class action attorneys will make millions and I will get one year free of credit monitoring.
View Quote

Guess I will stack that with all the other credit monitoring services I'm already being given from all the other dozens of data breeches

My shit ought to be very safe and secure now with all the paid for monitoring.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By captexas:
Was it really from 2 weeks ago or is this the real reason their network went down awhile back and they are just now figuring out what was breached?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:46:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAvatar9265ft] [#18]
Does that include FirstNet customers?

How far back? I was AT&T 16 years ago...

Whatever... after OPM and Equifax I'm already permafucked.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:46:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OBird] [#19]
I feel like this has happened enough times to enough major companies, that it would be unusual for someone to NOT have their info “on the dark web” at this point.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Meh, China has everyone’s stuff already.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

They got it from me.  I even had to unfreeze my credit.  And I wasn't getting a new phone, just switching services.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I had to give my social back in like 2000 or 2001 when I first got one. I remember this because I gave them the wrong number and it came back to a dead guy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#23]
That's alot of 'former' customers they lost 50 million ..or was that all landlines?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#24]
My data has been breached half a dozen times by now
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#25]
On a serious note if you use SMS for 2FA (ie your bank sends you a 6 digit number via text for you to type in as part of logging in) it may now be easier for someone to transfer your number and gain access to bank accounts.  Depends on what data was leaked and how safe your other pw are.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:25:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sigking] [#26]
My data has been breached so many times, I feel like a 5 dollar hooker.

Companies should be fined a shit ton of money for letting our shit get hacked.   Instead, you just get a letter saying it happened, tough shit, here is how you get a years worth of free monitoring.Now fuck off peasant, have a great day.   Signed HA HA your credit is now fucked.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#27]
How many H1b’s does AT&T employ in their security department?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sigking:

Companies should be fined a shit ton of money for letting our shit get hacked.   Instead, you just get a letter saying it happened, tough shit, here is how you get a years worth of free monitoring.Now fuck off peasant, have a great day.   Signed HA HA your credit is now fucked.

View Quote

This.  

I don't even give a fuck anymore.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
View Quote

Who do you think runs the dark web?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn. I feel bad for the oriental gentlemen that end up seeing my butthole.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Once whoever it is has enough of your info, they can use that to start getting your other stuff.

Think of what information you can get with the bits of information you already have.

Add in persistence and maybe some acces to public databases.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm used to it.  Have gotten notices from hospitals, businesses, dentists, etc. telling me that my ss#, name, address, email, etc. was hacked.  I just locked my credit so no one can take out a loan using my id.  Not much else you can do but keep an eye on bank and credit card accounts.  Fuck it, all our data will be compromised soon.  Get used to it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Dear 14Karat,

We take cybersecurity very seriously and privacy is a fundamental commitment at AT&T.

We have discovered that your AT&T account passcode has been compromised, therefore we have proactively reset your passcode.

Our internal teams are working with external cybersecurity experts to analyze the situation. It appears the data is from more than 4 years ago and does not contain personal financial information or call history.

What information was involved?
The information varied by customer and account, but may have included full name, email address, mailing address, phone number, social security number, date of birth, AT&T account number and passcode.

What is AT&T doing?
We've taken precautionary measures and reset your passcode, which is an extra layer of protection for your account. When you sign in to your online account or call customer care, we'll provide details to help you personalize your passcode. If your sensitive personal information was compromised, we will provide complimentary identity theft and credit monitoring services.

What can you do?
In addition to resetting your AT&T passcode, we encourage customers to remain vigilant by monitoring account activity and credit reports. You can set up free fraud alerts from nationwide credit bureaus — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. You can also request and review your free credit report at any time via Freecreditreport.com.

More Information
Visit www.att.com/accountsafety for more information and updates.

We apologize this has happened and are committed to keeping your account secure.

AT&T
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By wyorock:
View Quote

Exactly!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sigking:

View Quote

If memory serves me correctly wasn't the DOJ under Obama giving money from fines against companies to leftist groups like ACORN.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#36]
It doesn't make sense to spend the kind of money it takes to secure this data, not when there is so little consequence for incidents like this.  

If our government really did serve the people, this sort of shit would be a criminal offense.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

I don’t recall ever being asked to provide an SSN to AT&T or any other carrier….. how are they getting them?
View Quote

Credit checks for cell phones? When I used to work there ages ago we used SSN
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Last time my bank account was hacked the hacker felt so bad for me that he deposited $20 into my account…
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#39]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Delta_Echo_6:
Not surprising, from that shit show of a company.  I used to have both DSL and cell phone with them, and had the most unreliable service and worst customer service imaginable.  That company will never see another dime from me.
View Quote
Yeah, I gave up on their shit customer service 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#41]
M sure after the class action suit, we'll all get free credit monitoring for a couple of years.

Like I have already from my employer, and a couple of other places which have had security breaches and leaked my info.

The only difference between AT&T in this respect and other companies is that AT&T has a lot more customers.  They should be purging data after you close your account, but if they lost data from folks from 2019, I guess they don't purge.  I moved away from them a few years ago and life has definitely improved since then.  My cell service is a bit more spotty if I'm out in the sticks, but it's worlds cheaper and I can always get a prepaid data card for my mobile ATT hotspot when I travel.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Let me guess...they had saved my checking account information from my DirecTV payments, even though I cancelled the service a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:16:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#43]
Data breach from 2019.

That data has been out there a very long time.

The data appears to be from 2019 or earlier, cybersecurity experts hired by AT&T to do a "robust investigation" found, affecting 7.6 million current account holders, and approximately 65.4 million former account holders
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Meh…The Chinese got my stuff back with the first real compromise of USG OPM personnel data. That got me 3 years of free monitoring. Then the Chinese got my stuff again, along with the fact that I held a TS/SCI along with the tickets,  on another GOV leak so now I have monitoring for life.  I suppose I shouldn't travel to China though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By captexas:
View Quote

Yep, I can believe this.

A router upgrade causing a system wide outage?

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
View Quote

Because a credit check is required prior to any new service.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By pdm:
Meh…The Chinese got my stuff back with the first real compromise of USG OPM personnel data. That got me 3 years of free monitoring. Then the Chinese got my stuff again, along with the fact that I held a TS/SCI along with the tickets,  on another GOV leak so now I have monitoring for life.  I suppose I shouldn't travel to China though.
View Quote

I always assume those attacks added clearance to the database more then stole info..

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:42:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAmaazingCarl] [#48]
I have heard about this on and off the last couple years,  usually with a statement from AT&T claiming it didn't happen and they had no evidence of any such thing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#49]
How did this hack happen? Any details floating around?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#50]
FuckAT&T
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top