Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2024 11:20:49 PM EDT
I'm updating my system including a 4k OLED and ne Blu Ray player. Unfortunately my old Yamaha AVR does have HDMI but does not pass a 4K signal. Because of this, I am looking for a reasonably priced receiver that passes 4K UHD and also has pre outs for at least 5.1. I was hoping to spend $500 to $600 but About the cheapest AVR I've found that has both features is the Onkyo RZ50. When I bought my last receiver about every decent AVR had pre outs. What the heck has happened????? On a serious note is there another AVR that I should be looking at that checks both boxes and would cost less than $1200?

What is an AVR without the amplifier circuit called? I do plan on using an Amplifier so don't really need one built into the receiver. Am I correct in assuming for the price range (RZ50 or less) I'm better off going with an AVR that has pre outs....?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By rssc:
I'm updating my system including a 4k OLED and ne Blu Ray player. Unfortunately my old Yamaha AVR does have HDMI but does not pass a 4K signal. Because of this, I am looking for a reasonably priced receiver that passes 4K UHD and also has pre outs for at least 5.1. I was hoping to spend $500 to $600 but About the cheapest AVR I've found that has both features is the Onkyo RZ50. When I bought my last receiver about every decent AVR had pre outs. What the heck has happened????? On a serious note is there another AVR that I should be looking at that checks both boxes and would cost less than $1200?

What is an AVR without the amplifier circuit called? I do plan on using an Amplifier so don't really need one built into the receiver. Am I correct in assuming for the price range (RZ50 or less) I'm better off going with an AVR that has pre outs....?
View Quote
I feel like the Hone Theater industry has really been consolidated in products and offerings.
I feel like this is do to a few things.  
Most folks stream everything or close to it.
Many folks don't need or can't spend the money on a Home Theater and make due with the crappy TV speakers or a low to mid level Sound bar + Sub setup.
A lot of the younger generation is happy streamin all their low quality content and listening either on their phone, a blu tooth speaker, or phones output to their factor car stereo...

An AVR without speaker outs, just Pre-outs is called a Preamp...
All your sources input to it.  You select your source and control the tone and volume on it, it sends signals to the Amps to be amplified.

They are even more rare than an AVR with a ton of Pre-outs and not really much cheaper and a lot of times have less features.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:00:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SixSquared] [#2]
So you have a power amp or powered speakers?

You basically just need a preamp with a processor that passes 4k and has preouts for a 5.1 system.

Do you have a current or see a future need for Atmos?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SixSquared] [#3]
The reality is if you only need 5.1 (basic Dolby Digital / DTS) you could have your pick of the litter from some older, really ridiculously high end preamps for cheap. But none of them will pass 4K, some not even HDMI at all. I'm talking Krell, Simaudio, Mcintosh, Marantz and Denon flagship model stuff.

Are you planning to use the AV receiver as a hub for gear? If you only have a few HDMI components you could just plug them directly into the OLED, use the OLED UI to do the switching, and then run the HDMI OUT/EARC/ARC or digital coaxial or optical out to the Yamaha for sound.

I have my PS5 and UHD blu ray player plugged into an HDMI selector and then straight to my C3 OLED. Then the EARC/ARC hdmi connected to my Marantz 8802A.

And I imagine the reason receivers have ceased having preouts is.....who the hell ever actually used the preamp outs on a integrated amp receiver with a built in power section? I get that it would make it more flexible, but in reality people that buy integrated amps will almost never use them and people that would use them buy separates.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:
I feel like the Hone Theater industry has really been consolidated in products and offerings.
Many folks don't need or can't spend the money on a Home Theater and make due with the crappy TV speakers or a low to mid level Sound bar + Sub setup.
A lot of the younger generation is happy streamin all their low quality content and listening either on their phone, a blu tooth speaker, or phones output to their factor car stereo...

All your sources input to it.  You select your source and control the tone and volume on it, it sends signals to the Amps to be amplified.

They are even more rare than an AVR with a ton of Pre-outs and not really much cheaper and a lot of times have less features.

View Quote

Thank you. Does a pre amp include processing for surround sound and such?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SixSquared:
So you have a power amp or powered speakers?

You basically just need a preamp with a processor that passes 4k and has preouts for a 5.1 system.

Do you have a current or see a future need for Atmos?
View Quote

I have an emotiva xpa5 that I'd like to use. I may use it to bi amp my current speakers which are older nht 2.5i's.

My current system is very limited as it is a part of the living room and is very compromised. I don't think I can add any more speakers. Does atmos require more speakers above the 5.1 that I already have? I am of course all for better processing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The reality is if you only need 5.1 (basic Dolby Digital / DTS) you could have your pick of the litter from some older, really ridiculously high end preamps for cheap. But none of them will pass 4K, some not even HDMI at all. I'm talking Krell, Simaudio, Mcintosh, Marantz and Denon flagship model stuff.

Are you planning to use the AV receiver as a hub for gear? If you only have a few HDMI components you could just plug them directly into the OLED, use the OLED UI to do the switching, and then run the HDMI OUT/EARC/ARC or digital coaxial or optical out to the Yamaha for sound.

I have my PS5 and UHD blu ray player plugged into an HDMI selector and then straight to my C3 OLED. Then the EARC/ARC hdmi connected to my Marantz 8802A.

And I imagine the reason receivers have ceased having preouts is.....who the hell ever actually used the preamp outs on a integrated amp receiver with a built in power section? I get that it would make it more flexible, but in reality people that buy integrated amps will almost never use them and people that would use them buy separates.
View Quote

Right now I am doing something similar. I have toslink from the blu ray player to the receiver and also toslink from the TV to my existing receiver which is a ln older Yamaha rxv 2065. I am using the TV to switch my sources. The main negative I have right now is I hear a pop in the audio when I go to play a blu ray. That is annoying!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there a better more up to date surround sound processing mode I can move to without adding additional speakers or maybe with adding something simple? I've heard of atmos but I am not familiar with what it requires. I currently have 5.1.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smullen:

Some do.
Ex: A Marantz at Crutchfield....
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Right now I am doing something similar. I have toslink from the blu ray player to the receiver and also toslink from the TV to my existing receiver which is a ln older Yamaha rxv 2065. I am using the TV to switch my sources. The main negative I have right now is I hear a pop in the audio when I go to play a blu ray. That is annoying!
View Quote

Not sure what the pop could be. Have you done any research about your specific system as to what could be causing that?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#10]

I have an emotiva xpa5 that I'd like to use. I may use it to bi amp my current speakers which are older nht 2.5i's.

My current system is very limited as it is a part of the living room and is very compromised. I don't think I can add any more speakers. Does atmos require more speakers above the 5.1 that I already have? I am of course all for better processing.
View Quote

Atmos adds a 3rd dimension of sound above the main level of speakers. Ideally this is done with overhead ceiling speakers mounted at specific angles above the listeners. But you can mount height speakers very high on the front and rear walls. They also make Atmos upfiring speakers that can be set on top of your front towers etc that will bounce sound off the ceiling.

So yes. More speakers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Is there a better more up to date surround sound processing mode I can move to without adding additional speakers or maybe with adding something simple? I've heard of atmos but I am not familiar with what it requires. I currently have 5.1.
View Quote

You basically had two leaps forward in surround sound technology in the last 30 years. Dolby surround which was a stereo channel upmixed/"matrixed" so the center channel was pulled from the front L/R and the surround was pulled out of that. Then you had 5.1, like Dolby Digital/AC3 and DTS in the late 90s for home theater that was 5.1 discrete channels and that was a huge leap allowing all channels to be independently programmed. The latest is the Atmos/DTSX/Auro3d in the 20teens that added the height channels.

If you are not prepared to add height channels and upgrade preamp/receiver, the 5.1 receiver you have is just fine.

5.1 sounds great even now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:22:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Meerkatze] [#12]

View Quote

Some sort of grounding issue maybe?

Did this happen from day one or is it a recent occurence?

You might try process of elimination - try another Bluray player just for shitz and giggles and see if the problem is the Yamaha or vice-versa.

You might also (for just one try) bypass your surge surpressor to see if it's shakey and needs updating.

Also, have you updating the RXV and the Bluray player to the latest firmwares?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey guys, thank you so much for the input. I did try some of the troubleshooting steps listed in this thread. The noise still persists. At the same time I stopped in Best Buy and got what I think is a very good deal on an Onkyo TZ-RZ50. I don't think I will add any additional channels but who knows. It will definitely be nice to have he eARC integration for control of all components using one remote (for basic tasks). I am looking forward to getting the new receiver!

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice! I've got an older Onkyo TX-SR705 that was great and had very good home theater sound, it pulls garage duty now and still works great. Good clean, clear power.

You will love that new Onkyo and it'll do everything you want. It has 8K so if it ever becomes a "thing" you will be up to date.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice! I've got an older Onkyo TX-SR705 that was great and had very good home theater sound, it pulls garage duty now and still works great. Good clean, clear power.

You will love that new Onkyo and it'll do everything you want. It has 8K so if it ever becomes a "thing" you will be up to date.

View Quote

Thanks. I'm very happy with it and also the price I paid. $900 ish dollars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top